Matrix Games Forums

Battle Academy is now available on SteamPlayers compare Ageods Civil War to Civil War IIDeal of the week - An updated War in the East goes half Price!Sign up for the Qvadriga beta for iPad and Android!Come and say hi at Pax and SaluteLegends of War goes on sale!Piercing Fortress Europa Gets UpdatedBattle Academy Mega Pack is now availableClose Combat: Gateway to Caen Teaser TrailerDeal of the Week Alea Jacta Est
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

emergency repairs in level 0 port

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> The War Room >> emergency repairs in level 0 port Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
emergency repairs in level 0 port - 11/7/2012 12:44:34 PM   
topeverest

Simple question - is there any value to doing a pierside repair in a level 0 port with no naval support? My guess is no, and that the repair speed choice also is mute, but I am interested in any comments on the subject.

Andy M
Post #: 1
RE: emergency repairs in level 0 port - 11/7/2012 3:19:34 PM   
dr.hal

I might be mistaking, but I didn't think level zero ports had piers, that's why they are level zero. Basically all your doing is allowing the crew to make repairs on their own. This is done only to get the ship to a point where there is a reasonable chance that it might get to its destination for "real" repairs....

(in reply to topeverest)
Post #: 2
RE: emergency repairs in level 0 port - 11/7/2012 7:45:21 PM   
Alfred

Dot ports represent anchorages. Although you can "cycle" through the repair modes and "see" pierside mode, nonetheless there is no pierside repair activity.

As an anchorage, your ship crew repairs are aided by no moving and therefore avoid risking incurring further damage.

Alfred

(in reply to dr.hal)
Post #: 3
RE: emergency repairs in level 0 port - 11/8/2012 4:28:51 AM   
crsutton

I have an AK disbanded and stuck at Singora that has been there for two years. I don't disband in level 0 ports for this reason.

I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg

(in reply to Alfred)
Post #: 4
RE: emergency repairs in level 0 port - 11/8/2012 4:55:49 AM   
PaxMondo

I don't think repairs start until lvl 2 or 3 ...

Pax

(in reply to crsutton)
Post #: 5
RE: emergency repairs in level 0 port - 11/8/2012 10:17:28 AM   
obvert

quote:

ORIGINAL: crsutton

I have an AK disbanded and stuck at Singora that has been there for two years. I don't disband in level 0 ports for this reason.

+1

I have a sub 'lost' in a dot base after making the mistake to disband it and put it on pierside repair there. It would be nice if we couldn't disband in places where we can't disband! Why does the game allow it if the ship is then lost in purgatory?

"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill

(in reply to crsutton)
Post #: 6
RE: emergency repairs in level 0 port - 11/8/2012 1:02:45 PM   
Dan Nichols

Why is it lost? Just change it back to readiness repair and wait 3 days and you should be able to make a TF and move it.

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 7
RE: emergency repairs in level 0 port - 11/8/2012 2:12:49 PM   
Bullwinkle58

quote:

ORIGINAL: obvert

quote:

ORIGINAL: crsutton

+1

I have a sub 'lost' in a dot base after making the mistake to disband it and put it on pierside repair there. It would be nice if we couldn't disband in places where we can't disband! Why does the game allow it if the ship is then lost in purgatory?

In an AI game I did that at French Frigate Shoals. It was either put in there or sink due to zero fuel. The sub got stuck. I had to send a base force from Pearl and build to a level 1 port to reform the TF, then send an AO. Took about six weeks, but I got her underway and into Pearl. At that point I went ahead and made FFS a small patrol plane base for the rest of the war.

The Moose

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 8
RE: emergency repairs in level 0 port - 11/8/2012 2:50:40 PM   
obvert

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dan Nichols

Why is it lost? Just change it back to readiness repair and wait 3 days and you should be able to make a TF and move it.

It refuses to change back. Tried everything. Even flew in naval support. Nothing. I'll post an image in a minute. It happens to be in a port that can't be built, so no go there either.

"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill

(in reply to Dan Nichols)
Post #: 9
RE: emergency repairs in level 0 port - 11/8/2012 2:59:51 PM   
Bullwinkle58

Which port?

The Moose

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 10
RE: emergency repairs in level 0 port - 11/8/2012 3:02:00 PM   
obvert

Here is a shot.

I didn't post anywhere as I thought it had something to do with the high system damage. I let it run out of fuel on a midget drop patrol, so it's my own doing. Then I though I got lucky enough to get it to the dot base I didn't want to risk it another few turns to get to a port.

There is no response when clicking on the repair type status. Nothing. I can change the priority level, which I've done several times, and nothing has happened. The sub has not lost any damage in several months sitting here.

It's at a classified dot base, port 0/0.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by obvert -- 11/8/2012 3:04:36 PM >

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 11
RE: emergency repairs in level 0 port - 11/8/2012 3:57:57 PM   
Alfred

In my ship repair 101 guide I recommend to not access the ship repair manager via the ship screen.

Always access the ship repair manager via the port screen where even at a dot port port, the "manage ship repair" button should be present. From there you can change the the repair mode.

Alfred

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 12
RE: emergency repairs in level 0 port - 11/8/2012 4:16:35 PM   
aphrochine

You can always bring in an AR and repair the sys damage down so it can try to make it to a real port.

VMF-422 fanboy
Grog Virgin fanboy

(in reply to Alfred)
Post #: 13
RE: emergency repairs in level 0 port - 11/8/2012 5:15:54 PM   
obvert

quote:

ORIGINAL: Alfred

In my ship repair 101 guide I recommend to not access the ship repair manager via the ship screen.

Always access the ship repair manager via the port screen where even at a dot port port, the "manage ship repair" button should be present. From there you can change the the repair mode.

Alfred

Thanks Alfred. I'l try that.

(in reply to Alfred)
Post #: 14
RE: emergency repairs in level 0 port - 11/8/2012 6:46:11 PM   
Bullwinkle58

quote:

Here is a shot.

I didn't post anywhere as I thought it had something to do with the high system damage. I let it run out of fuel on a midget drop patrol, so it's my own doing. Then I though I got lucky enough to get it to the dot base I didn't want to risk it another few turns to get to a port.

There is no response when clicking on the repair type status. Nothing. I can change the priority level, which I've done several times, and nothing has happened. The sub has not lost any damage in several months sitting here.

It's at a classified dot base, port 0/0.

When you said couldn't be built I thought you meant just that. I take it you mean too dangerous to send a base force to build a port?

Subs are odd ducks because they can't refuel at sea. That was the source of my situation too. And the problem with zero fuel is if you put the sub in a TF (which I think you need Port=1 now to do anyway) so the crew will repair in Readiness mode, you take more damage every turn from being out of fuel. The only way to save the sub is to disband it, lock in the damage number, and wait for help to arrive.

It makes sense that a dot hex with Port=0 woudln't have a nice, safe ready-made pier sitting there waiting for a sub to happen along. As Alfred says, picture a lee shore with shallow water and good holding ground for an anchor. That's what a 0 dot hex is and all that it is.

< Message edited by Bullwinkle58 -- 11/8/2012 6:47:05 PM >

The Moose

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 15
RE: emergency repairs in level 0 port - 11/8/2012 7:40:35 PM   
Wally Wilson

Can ships without fuel be repaired? I don't remember ever trying it.

(in reply to Bullwinkle58)
Post #: 16
RE: emergency repairs in level 0 port - 11/8/2012 10:36:52 PM   
Bullwinkle58

quote:

ORIGINAL: Wally Wilson

Can ships without fuel be repaired? I don't remember ever trying it.

I haven't either. Don't know. My guess would be yes, so long as you could stay ahead of the no-fuel damage accumulaiton.

The Moose

(in reply to Wally Wilson)
Post #: 17
RE: emergency repairs in level 0 port - 11/8/2012 10:41:57 PM   
obvert

Well, Alfred to the rescue. I will wear the pie on face and say I didn't even know I could 'manage ship repair' from the base screen. It's quite useful!

So in a few turns I'll know whether the sub can make it to the next base with an actual port. That is if I can form it into a TF. The above statement makes me doubt this as well.

quote:

When you said couldn't be built I thought you meant just that. I take it you mean too dangerous to send a base force to build a port?

Now I'm ready to learn more. I have always considered a 0/0 port or field as unable to build said facility. Is this incorrect? At this base there is a base force.

(in reply to Wally Wilson)
Post #: 18
RE: emergency repairs in level 0 port - 11/8/2012 11:09:38 PM   
crsutton

Yep, thanks Alfred. I will try it next turn.

I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 19
RE: emergency repairs in level 0 port - 11/9/2012 3:46:26 AM   
jmalter

a 0/0 base can be built-up to a max of 3/3, all you need are supplied, combat-mode LCUs that include engineer or engineer vehicle devices in their TO&E. (DBB scenarios don't allow 'Combat Engr' devices to build, but stock scenarios do.)

(in reply to crsutton)
Post #: 20
RE: emergency repairs in level 0 port - 11/9/2012 3:47:15 AM   
PaxMondo

You mean 3(0) ... 

Pax

(in reply to jmalter)
Post #: 21
RE: emergency repairs in level 0 port - 11/9/2012 10:14:21 AM   
obvert

quote:

ORIGINAL: jmalter

a 0/0 base can be built-up to a max of 3/3, all you need are supplied, combat-mode LCUs that include engineer or engineer vehicle devices in their TO&E. (DBB scenarios don't allow 'Combat Engr' devices to build, but stock scenarios do.)

I did know you could build 0 level airfields so I should have realized this would work with ports as well. With Japanese engineers and the high levels of supply this would consume, I guess it wouldn't make much sense for me. But for the Allies, yes, this is a real option.

(in reply to jmalter)
Post #: 22
RE: emergency repairs in level 0 port - 11/9/2012 1:50:46 PM   
Bullwinkle58

quote:

quote:

I did know you could build 0 level airfields so I should have realized this would work with ports as well. With Japanese engineers and the high levels of supply this would consume, I guess it wouldn't make much sense for me. But for the Allies, yes, this is a real option.

I've seen Seabees at work on Guam. If there's water they can build a pier in it. No reason Japan's engineers couldn't do the same, given time and materials. If there's a reef dynamite works real good there too. I'd be interested to know if there's any base or dot in the game on water which can't build a port of some kind.

The Moose

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 23
RE: emergency repairs in level 0 port - 11/10/2012 8:19:03 AM   
inqistor

quote:

ORIGINAL: aphrochine

You can always bring in an AR and repair the sys damage down so it can try to make it to a real port.

Does not AS also help in submarine repairs?

quote:

quote:

For first level it is not that hard. 3 Engineer units, and few thousand of supplies, and you have port in around 5 weeks.

(in reply to aphrochine)
Post #: 24
RE: emergency repairs in level 0 port - 11/10/2012 11:21:31 AM   
obvert

quote:

For first level it is not that hard. 3 Engineer units, and few thousand of supplies, and you have port in around 5 weeks.

When you say three engineer units, I wonder what you mean. The Japanese engineer units are not quite the same as the Allied.

It would be nice to try and save it, but I could do all of that, spend thousands of supply, and he could spot it and send a port strike and sink it after two months of work. Good to know, but isn't worth it in this situation.

I will do a test though. I had it in my brain that it was too difficult and cost prohibitive as Japan to build 0 level anything, so now you have me curious.

(in reply to inqistor)
Post #: 25
RE: emergency repairs in level 0 port - 11/10/2012 9:37:49 PM   
Bullwinkle58

quote:

quote:

When you say three engineer units, I wonder what you mean. The Japanese engineer units are not quite the same as the Allied.

It would be nice to try and save it, but I could do all of that, spend thousands of supply, and he could spot it and send a port strike and sink it after two months of work. Good to know, but isn't worth it in this situation.

I will do a test though. I had it in my brain that it was too difficult and cost prohibitive as Japan to build 0 level anything, so now you have me curious.

My non-quantitative experience is that the move from 0 to 1 is far harder than any other, even for Allied engineers. 1 to 2 is pretty easy in comparison. The port and Af increase functions aren't linear. I think this is in the manual someplace, but the exact math of it isn't of course.

The Moose

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 26
RE: emergency repairs in level 0 port - 11/10/2012 11:40:50 PM   
obvert

Well, I put one 36 engineer 3 eng. vehicle unit in a dot base with 4.5k supply. I'm going to let it run until I see what happens. So far in a week it's gone up 2%.

Post #: 27
RE: emergency repairs in level 0 port - 11/11/2012 12:03:24 AM   
Bullwinkle58

quote:

Well, I put one 36 engineer 3 eng. vehicle unit in a dot base with 4.5k supply. I'm going to let it run until I see what happens. So far in a week it's gone up 2%.

I'd say the Allies, with more engineer vehicles on average, don't do much better than twice that. 0 to 1 can be months.

The Moose

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 28
RE: emergency repairs in level 0 port - 11/11/2012 4:02:07 AM   
PaxMondo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bullwinkle58

quote:

I'd say the Allies, with more engineer vehicles on average, don't do much better than twice that. 0 to 1 can be months.

+1

For IJ, it is months ... really long is all I know.

Pax

Post #: 29
RE: emergency repairs in level 0 port - 11/11/2012 5:58:49 AM   
rms1pa

quote:

i think hexes have a difficulty level. 0 to 1 airfield at funafuti or dutch harbour , months indeed. 0 to 1 port at tassafaronga 9 days.

rms/pa

there is a technical term for those who confuse the opinions of an author's characters for the opinions of the author.
the term is IDIOT.

(in reply to PaxMondo)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> The War Room >> emergency repairs in level 0 port Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI