Matrix Games Forums

The Matrix Holiday sales are starting today! Warhammer - Weapons of WarFlashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm gets huge update and a Steam release!Battle Academy 2 opens up a new front!Flashpoint Campaigns Featured on weekly Streaming SessionFrontline: The Longest Day - New Screenshots!Deal of the Week: Hannibal Rome and CarthageFlashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm gets Players Edition!To End All Wars gets its first major patch! Hell is now available!
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

AP soviet schedule

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> The War Room >> AP soviet schedule Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
AP soviet schedule - 11/7/2012 9:26:01 AM   
schascha

HI,

I'm playing my first campaign as soviet, we are on trun 8.

In the turn 4 and 8 I received 150 supplementary AP.

I would like to know when I suppose to receive again this extra AP in the next turns.
And how many AP, I should spare to prepare the blizzard attack.

THX in advance (sorry for my poor english)
Post #: 1
RE: AP soviet schedule - 11/7/2012 9:42:24 AM   
76mm

you receive an extra 150 AP every time you get a new front HQ, so look at the reinforcement schedule to see that. You should look in advance because your AP cannot exceed 500, so prior to receiving the 150 you should be sure to spend enough not to hit the cap.

I usually have a large excess of AP in 1941, because while you can change commanders, etc., you will run out of good commanders before you run out of AP. Also, generally do not spend AP on creating units in 1941 (unless you have to burn AP to avoid hitting the cap), because they are too expensive. You don't really need any AP for the blizzard, although I tend to create a few cav divs once their price drops to 20, and then create as many cav corps as possible.

You will need lots of AP in 1942 to replace killed units (they don't come back from free like in 1941), to build rifle and tank corps,etc.

(in reply to schascha)
Post #: 2
RE: AP soviet schedule - 11/7/2012 7:06:01 PM   
Wally Wilson

Spend your AP before the blizzard to prepare your army.

(in reply to 76mm)
Post #: 3
RE: AP soviet schedule - 11/7/2012 8:04:03 PM   
76mm

quote:

ORIGINAL: Wally Wilson

But spend it on what? The one thing I haven't done which maybe I should is swap out aircraft, but otherwise I find it hard to spend all of my AP in 1941. Of course I could blow them on 40 AP RifDivs, but that doesn't make sense to me...

(in reply to Wally Wilson)
Post #: 4
RE: AP soviet schedule - 11/7/2012 8:09:27 PM   
morvael

Armies reforming from 24CP to 21CP to 18CP, while increasing in number require a number of division reassignments. Also, you may wish to finetune support units, swap aircrafts for the best regiments manually and appoint better leaders. In december you may form Cavalry Corps, that takes 5AP each. I'm constantly lacking AP...

(in reply to 76mm)
Post #: 5
RE: AP soviet schedule - 11/7/2012 9:24:50 PM   
Wally Wilson

quote:

ORIGINAL: 76mm

quote:

ORIGINAL: Wally Wilson

But spend it on what? The one thing I haven't done which maybe I should is swap out aircraft, but otherwise I find it hard to spend all of my AP in 1941. Of course I could blow them on 40 AP RifDivs, but that doesn't make sense to me...

Clarification - If the player waits until the blizzard to spend AP he needs to prepare for the offensive, he has wasted valuable time. I'm certainly not suggesting to spend all of one's AP prior to the blizzard simply for the sake of it.

(in reply to 76mm)
Post #: 6
RE: AP soviet schedule - 11/7/2012 10:39:34 PM   
gingerbread

If you plan on building Cav Corps, you can build their intended support units early to let these gain experience until they are to be assigned to their corps. I use the turn 8 batch of AP to build 50 sappers in an eastern MD, set to locked.

You can also spend some AP to build RR Brigades. They can assist digging during the fall and you will need them to convert rail in the blizzard. 5 to 10 per Front is fine. N Caucasus will be a Front in the blizzard...

Finally, should you be close to the 500 cap, you can late in the fall build Inf Brigades @5 AP - these drop in price before division do and can be combined from May '42. It does take men & ARM, though.

Post #: 7
RE: AP soviet schedule - 11/8/2012 6:51:28 AM   
schascha

Thx guys for yours replies.

I've a lot of problems with WITE but no one to spend my APs: reassign my units, upgrade manualy my air force, change the ground and air leaders, construct some SU etc....

(in reply to gingerbread)
Post #: 8
RE: AP soviet schedule - 11/8/2012 7:25:09 AM   
schascha

About Cav Corps, how many I'm suupposed to built in dec and with which SU sapper regiment and ... ?

(in reply to schascha)
Post #: 9
RE: AP soviet schedule - 11/8/2012 8:55:37 AM   
Wally Wilson

I would build every cav corps I could by combining 3 divisions. I don't build new ones.

I build a lot of heavy artillery SU's. Just don't over-build.

I would not spend a lot of AP on the manual upgrade of the air force. As your pool of better aircraft increases, slowly change your air units to automatic a few each turn.

Begin building tank brigades as soon as you can so that they can being increasing in experience.

Save as much AP as you can for when you can build units more cheaply and start combining divisions and brigades into corps.

I spend a lot of AP moving around SU's. I'm sure that I'm being wasteful, but STAVKA can't be everywhere at once. I don't like setting the support level to automatic. I prefer to keep the heaviest artillery at the front level and the medium artillery at the army level.

Of course, later on when you can build artillery units, you may want the AP so you can disband the SU's and so the artillery will fill the combat units.

(in reply to schascha)
Post #: 10
RE: AP soviet schedule - 11/8/2012 3:31:20 PM   
turtlefang

Everyone has their own style of play and you have to develop one that fits you.

1) If possible, try to save AP points. You will need them in 1942 for a lot of things. Such as building Tank Corps, Art divisions, replacing losses, hopefully a few command changes.

2) I lock on my aircraft to manual upgrades at the start of the game. Then I will unlock a few as the game goes on the pool builds for the upgrade path that I want for the aircraft to save on AP points. If you unlock too many, you will get a yo yo effective - trading up to good aircraft one turn, trading down a few turns later. So it's a little bit of a balancing act.

3) At the start of the game, I set all the HQs to 0 support except STAVAKA which is set to 9. After about three turns, about 90% of the SUs will end up at STAVAKA. You can then do a rail road tour around the front to parcel these out at no AP cost. When you do, LOCK the HQ to prevent migration. Its a pain in the butt, but worth it in the long run.

4) I have a set SU allocation I prefer for each army rather than move the SU around - which can get expensive in terms of AP points (on the other hand, it saves ARM pts). You will get a different opinion from everyone you talk to regarding the right allocation from zero SUs to massive numbers. Pick what works for you and adjust depending on how your doing. My base starts with 2 RKVG art regiments, a MTR battalion, a PVO regiment, and 2 or 3 sapper regiments. I put my RR construction units at the Front level. Note that I start building this up after I allocate all the SU units that have migrated to STAVAKA and been sent to the HQs. So a lot of the art regiments are assigned this way rather than built.

5) You need to change leaders out at the Fronts and Armies. There are several post that are stickies that talk about this better than I can. This actually uses up a lot of AP points early on but you have to get good leaders in position.

6) Regarding tank bgs. I don't build them. You will end up with over 100 in early 1942 which is more than I can effectively use. I plan to convert these to Tank Corps and usually end up with 20 to 30 tank corps depending on how badly the German is beating on me. Any tank bg above what's needed to eventually convert is just wasted IMO as its a rather minor combat unit and takes a lot of trucks to supply.

You will get different opinions on this from people - and I don't put myself out as "one of the best". So read a few AAR and some other post and make up your own mind.

7) Cav divisions. I may build a few depending on how I feel and how many I have lost. These are you best units for the first blizzard when combined in a corps but they are expensive. Frankly, its more of an emotional decision with me and usually made on whim. Not the best gaming decision. But then again, I the group I play with plays more for the enjoyment than for the blood.

8) If you just have to burn APs or lose them, the gentleman who pointed out building inf bgs is right - even though you will get nearly 100 of these in 42, you can combine them into a division or corps later. Ideally, you should target an army of 150 or so infantry corps. They are several ways of getting there. And inf bgs are on all the paths.

9) In December (I think), you can combine three cav divisions into a cav corps. Create as many of these as possible. You can put four of these corps in an army without overloading it. Most of the people here recommending keeping your Shock Armies for that. You really shouldn't have a problem filling out the 4 Shock Armies with Cav Corps. Attack the Germans where you can win. In most games, I have converted all my Cav Corps to GD status by the end of the first winter. Makes them a lot more useful the rest of the game. If you have extra cav divisions, combine the rest into Corps. If you have a few left over, assign them to the shock armies to get them up to 18 command points. If you have more than that, your doing better I usually do and do whatever you want.

There is a sticky on the Russian first turn - I would recommend that you read it. A little dated due to the patch upgrades but it gives some good advice and got me started.

Post #: 11
RE: AP soviet schedule - 11/8/2012 5:18:52 PM   
morvael

Excellent list, my first game leads me to similar conclusions, especially points: 2, 3, 4, 5 and 6. Too bad I learned this the hard way - after wasting too many AP.

(in reply to turtlefang)
Post #: 12
RE: AP soviet schedule - 11/8/2012 5:45:01 PM   
schascha

Thx turtlefang for this list

(in reply to morvael)
Post #: 13
RE: AP soviet schedule - 11/8/2012 7:29:49 PM   
Wally Wilson

I've experimented some with not having standard artillery assignments for fronts and armies. A front or army in an inactive or static area doesn't need the heavy stuff, and I instead concentrate heavy artillery in active areas. I haven't come to a conclusion on whether this is a "best practice" or not, but it is fun, even with the three SU restriction per combat.

(in reply to schascha)
Post #: 14
RE: AP soviet schedule - 11/8/2012 10:29:19 PM   
turtlefang

Don't regard any advice from me as "best practices". There are a lot of players around here that are better than me by a long mile. These a just some guidelines I've picked up from a half a dozen games and reading a lot of post around here.

You have a lot of Soviet armies and fronts, standardizing them just makes it easier for me to manage. Knowing in 41, I'm going to have 8 Inf Div, 2 Inf BG, and the same SU structure just makes my life easier to plan defenses, replacements, and create armies. It works for my style.

And I'm not good enough to predict where the attack going to go on a turn by turn basis. So having a standard set makes sure everyone has artillery support. Technically, its not the most efficient way to design the Soviet side, but its the most effective way for me to manage it. It also insures that everyone has some art and engineering support available even if I get "surprised" by a German move.

Just as a note, I use the 41 MRT bat that has 36 120mm tubes. It gives good firepower at a cheap cost in ARM and MANPOWER especially. If I started with fewer Soviet art regiments to parse out, I would probably go with 1 RKVG regiment and 2 MRT bat just due to manpower issues. But you start with so many art regiments, you can assign two to every army at the beginning.

Post #: 15
RE: AP soviet schedule - 11/9/2012 7:02:01 AM   
morvael

I am maintaining some spreadsheet files in which I track how many of each unit (and support unit) type each army has, makes it easier to balance things and find out which armies are not balanced and need a reorganization and where to take troops from or where to send them. For now I stick to balanced approach, with Shock Armies having one or two more SU "for fun" (like Rckt Art), and the armies in "active areas" are prioritized for recieving new SU if they lack them, so the "backwater areas" are usually 2-3 SU behind the hot spots.

(in reply to turtlefang)
Post #: 16
RE: AP soviet schedule - 11/9/2012 1:24:48 PM   
rrbill

Geeesh!! the Russki's have tougher decisions in re AP usage than Axis. Guess I'll stay with Axis until I know more or try a PBEM game.

< Message edited by rrbill -- 11/9/2012 1:25:47 PM >

(in reply to morvael)
Post #: 17
RE: AP soviet schedule - 11/9/2012 5:53:19 PM   
Wally Wilson

That's one reason I like to play as the Soviet's, there are interesting choices to make that can add fun to the game.

(in reply to rrbill)
Post #: 18
RE: AP soviet schedule - 11/10/2012 1:55:08 AM   
turtlefang

I have to deal with enough spreadsheets at work -- not going to do it when I play to enjoy something -- its too much like work then!!!!

Again, its what works for you. I used to do things like that and track everything in games that I played but it has become too much like work so I use shortcuts like making everything standard.

(in reply to morvael)
Post #: 19
RE: AP soviet schedule - 11/10/2012 4:15:17 AM   
Wally Wilson

Today, in my current game, I decided to go ahead and do standardized SU assignments for Soviet fronts and armies. So much for my experiment.

And wtf with dropping the army CP levels instead of increasing them? Must have missed that in the readme file. I thought the manual was supposed to be updated?

/rant off

(in reply to turtlefang)
Post #: 20
RE: AP soviet schedule - 11/10/2012 7:22:00 AM   
morvael

It's listed in the manual with updates, it was introduced in one of the patches. Soviet army CP drops from 24 to 21 (sep'41 I think) and to 18 (around apr'42).

Post #: 21
RE: AP soviet schedule - 11/10/2012 8:06:09 AM   
schascha

I didn't know that too. It will cost me some AP to reorganise my armies

(in reply to morvael)
Post #: 22
RE: AP soviet schedule - 11/10/2012 1:42:07 PM   
CowboyRonin

The Army CP drops, but the Front CP goes up (to 81 IIRC). The Army reorgs don't cost too much, but spawning new armies to keep everybody in command sure does. Of course, if you look at the historical army numbers, that's exactly what happened.

(in reply to schascha)
Post #: 23
RE: AP soviet schedule - 11/14/2012 2:29:21 AM   
Wally Wilson

The manual I've been using is the one that comes up on the launcher screen. I found the updated one.

From the little I know of the historical OOB I did notice that Soviet fronts often had four armies and that armies typically did not contain as many as twelve divisions.

I was just a little surprised when it happened. Improvise, adapt and overcome!

(in reply to CowboyRonin)
Post #: 24
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> The War Room >> AP soviet schedule Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI