Matrix Games Forums

Battle Academy 2 Out now!Legions of Steel ready for betaBattle Academy 2 gets trailers and Steam page!Deal of the Week Germany at WarSlitherine Group acquires Shenandoah StudioNew information and screenshots for Pike & ShotDeal of the Week Pride of NationsTo End All Wars Releasing on Steam! Slitherine is recruiting: Programmers requiredPandora: Eclipse of Nashira gets release date
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Vote: Canoerebel playing the Japanese

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Vote: Canoerebel playing the Japanese Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Vote: Canoerebel playing the Japanese - 11/5/2012 8:56:36 PM   
Cannonfodder

In pursuit of his AV!

What do you think?

< Message edited by Cannonfodder -- 11/5/2012 8:57:02 PM >

"It happened, therefore it can happen again: this is the core of what we have to say. It can happen, and it can happen everywhere.”
¯ Primo Levi, writer, holocaust survivor

Post #: 1
RE: Vote: Canoerebel playing the Japanese - 11/5/2012 9:19:19 PM   
Cribtop

BANZAI!!!!!!!

Unfortunately, he doesn't care for pilot training or the economy stuff, but surely the JFB economics ministry folks (nygiants, Mike Solli, and a few others come to mind) can get him over the hump!

(in reply to Cannonfodder)
Post #: 2
RE: Vote: Canoerebel playing the Japanese - 11/5/2012 9:24:23 PM   
Lomri

Someone should volunteer to run his pilot training and economy for him. ;)

(in reply to Cribtop)
Post #: 3
RE: Vote: Canoerebel playing the Japanese - 11/5/2012 9:27:06 PM   
Chickenboy

No no no no no....

He'd miss out on the fascinating experience of balancing your economy on a knife's edge, gettin' 'fiddly' with production and research and pilot training conniptions if someone played wet nurse for him on the home front. The life of a JFB isn't all Long Lance torpedoes, aggressive sub captains and kamikazes, so let him experience the whole gamut.

(in reply to Lomri)
Post #: 4
RE: Vote: Canoerebel playing the Japanese - 11/5/2012 9:34:51 PM   
Cribtop

You know, this really might be interesting. CR has spent more time than anyone on the boards other than Nemo or Alfred contemplating Scenario 2 auto vic, just from the Allied "how do I avoid it?" perspective. He may have some strong insights into how to go about auto vic, knowing where he sweated things out as Allies. And, in his game with Chez, CR proved he can play aggressively. Hmmm.....

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 5
RE: Vote: Canoerebel playing the Japanese - 11/5/2012 11:06:48 PM   
JohnDillworth

This must happen! CR will love all the fiddly bits of the Japanese economy. I also think he knows the way to to get an auto victory. Has to be India!

The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it’s still on the list.

(in reply to Cribtop)
Post #: 6
RE: Vote: Canoerebel playing the Japanese - 11/5/2012 11:33:17 PM   
ny59giants

If we can teach one lawyer (Cribtop) to run the Japanese economy, we can teach a second (Canoerebel).

(in reply to JohnDillworth)
Post #: 7
RE: Vote: Canoerebel playing the Japanese - 11/6/2012 12:13:33 AM   
pws1225

quote:

ORIGINAL: ny59giants

If we can teach one lawyer (Cribtop) to run the Japanese economy, we can teach a second (Canoerebel).

Really, lawyers can learn?

(in reply to ny59giants)
Post #: 8
RE: Vote: Canoerebel playing the Japanese - 11/6/2012 1:26:02 AM   
Cribtop

quote:

ORIGINAL: pws1225

quote:

Really, lawyers can learn?

We are often wrong but never in doubt!

I must praise nygiants and Mike S for the huge assist in figuring out the economy. I still have a lot to learn, but the machine is running. I'm an intellectual property attorney and researcher, though, so less math averse than most lawyers. CR could be the acid test.

(in reply to pws1225)
Post #: 9
RE: Vote: Canoerebel playing the Japanese - 11/6/2012 3:09:39 AM   
ChezDaJez

quote:

And, in his game with Chez, CR proved he can play aggressively. Hmmm.....

That he did, that he did... and well played too!

Of course, if he ever does try the Japanese side, I would be more than willing to give him plenty of advice on how NOT to play them.

But somehow, the name CanoeTojo or CanoeYamamoto jst doesn't have the same ring as Canoerebel.

Chez

< Message edited by ChezDaJez -- 11/6/2012 3:10:46 AM >

Ret Navy AWCS (1972-1998)
VP-5, Jacksonville, Fl 1973-78
ASW Ops Center, Rota, Spain 1978-81
VP-40, Mt View, Ca 1981-87
Patrol Wing 10, Mt View, CA 1987-90
ASW Ops Center, Adak, Ak 1990-92
NRD Seattle 1992-96
VP-46, Whidbey Isl, Wa 1996-98

(in reply to Cribtop)
Post #: 10
RE: Vote: Canoerebel playing the Japanese - 11/6/2012 11:42:25 AM   
GreyJoy

quote:

And Greyjoy too!

(in reply to ny59giants)
Post #: 11
RE: Vote: Canoerebel playing the Japanese - 11/6/2012 12:50:02 PM   
ny59giants

quote:

quote:

And Greyjoy too!

How did I forget my latest student??

(in reply to GreyJoy)
Post #: 12
RE: Vote: Canoerebel playing the Japanese - 11/6/2012 1:34:29 PM   
Canoerebel

GJ (and other players who have done similarly) are heroes. To step out of a comfort zone, take on a very complex and challenging system, and then face a very experienced and capable opponent takes some guts.

This thread is most generous and appreciated, but I can't see myself tackling the Japanese position for quite some time yet. There are several key reasons, but one is that I think playing Japan is like being a lawyer. There's no end to the amount of time and energy you can commit to "the problem." I'm afraid playing Japan would be a "time suck" beyond what I can afford. As the Allies, on the other hand, I can sometime flip turns in 15 minutes. Sometimes I can do that for days at a time. I think I've done that for weeks at a time.

Like Bullwinkle, I am wedded to the Allies at this point.

(in reply to ny59giants)
Post #: 13
RE: Vote: Canoerebel playing the Japanese - 11/6/2012 1:46:36 PM   
Bullwinkle58

quote:

ORIGINAL: Canoerebel

OK, so who ya gonna play?

(You know you want to . . .)

The Moose

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 14
RE: Vote: Canoerebel playing the Japanese - 11/6/2012 1:58:44 PM   
Canoerebel

I'm going to take some time off to decompress. Eventually (and probably sooner than I currently expect) the overwhelming urge will strike to start a new game.

(in reply to Bullwinkle58)
Post #: 15
RE: Vote: Canoerebel playing the Japanese - 11/6/2012 2:30:14 PM   
obvert

quote:

GJ (and other players who have done similarly) are heroes. To step out of a comfort zone, take on a very complex and challenging system, and then face a very experienced and capable opponent takes some guts.

This thread is most generous and appreciated, but I can't see myself tackling the Japanese position for quite some time yet. There are several key reasons, but one is that I think playing Japan is like being a lawyer. There's no end to the amount of time and energy you can commit to "the problem." I'm afraid playing Japan would be a "time suck" beyond what I can afford. As the Allies, on the other hand, I can sometime flip turns in 15 minutes. Sometimes I can do that for days at a time. I think I've done that for weeks at a time.

I think you could do it if you can handle the multitude of forces the Allies get from 43 onward. Some IJ players are incredibly meticulous and detail oriented. Others take 15 minutes a turn and get by just fine. Once it's set up you just have to monitor the situation more or less.

I have a feeling your heart is involved though, as the Moose stated at one point, and that the Allies just feel better to you. You seem to really like the idea of playing against the wall with the hope of coming back from the brink. On the Japanese side there is very little chance of avoiding the ultimate defeat (except of course on points after several nukes level your industry).

We will all miss your AAR and the quality of your analysis of the game. You've also proven to be a great moderator of the many voices and opinions joining in the AAR.

I hope you'll continue to be active on the forums during your time away from playing. Where else will everyone meet to throw ideas around if not in your threads? I for one am interested to see where you'll go after american authors and country music lyrics? (A very fun collection to read since I grew up in a household with the country station, KWJJ, on all day every day).

A few AARs could use your input and experience as well.

I just hope you don't make an appearance in the forum members gone missing thread.

"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 16
RE: Vote: Canoerebel playing the Japanese - 11/6/2012 2:33:55 PM   
Canoerebel

What a gentlemanly post. No wonder GJ felt so welcome when he visited you and your (wife? girlfriend?) in London.

I'll remain very active in the forums during the time I'm not actively playing. Love the community. Love the game. Will be back playing not too long from now.

In the meantime, I'll contemplate every possible meaning of "too verbose."

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 17
RE: Vote: Canoerebel playing the Japanese - 11/6/2012 3:00:17 PM   
obvert

quote:

What a gentlemanly post. No wonder GJ felt so welcome when he visited you and your (wife? girlfriend?) in London.

I'll remain very active in the forums during the time I'm not actively playing. Love the community. Love the game. Will be back playing not too long from now.

In the meantime, I'll contemplate every possible meaning of "too verbose."

She is the girlfriend, for now.

If you and the family are ever in London on a European tour I will be happy to treat you to the sights and a meal at a good old pub. I could even recommend a few good hikes in the Lake District.

Glad to hear you'll be around. And by the way, I don't think you say too much, you just say it often!

Mark Twain here on writing;

God only exhibits his thunder and lightning at intervals, and so they always command attention. These are God's adjectives. You thunder and lightning too much; the reader ceases to get under the bed, by and by.

< Message edited by obvert -- 11/6/2012 3:01:02 PM >

"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 18
RE: Vote: Canoerebel playing the Japanese - 11/6/2012 4:14:01 PM   
John 3rd

Well said.

Member: Reluctant Admiral and Perfect War Mod Team.

Reluctant Admiral Mod:
https://sites.google.com/site/reluctantadmiral/

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 19
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Vote: Canoerebel playing the Japanese Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI