Use the ARM squeeze on the ground as motivation to figure out how to get maximum use of your air force. They do not cost any ARM (well, the ammo used does, but if they are consuming ammo, some thing's got to be right ).
Any suggestions anyone on how to accomplish this? Of all the aspects of WITE I think I understand the air model the least.
Here is what I am doing:
1. Each turn as my first action I send to Reserve all air units that have morale of less than 45 (I note that MT uses the same number, what are the odds of that)
2. Each turn I also send to Reserve all units with less than 30% ready aircraft. This I learned from MT, but I can't remember now what number he uses as his %.
3. Each turn I make sure that all aircraft that I want to upgrade to newer aircraft are set to auto-upgrade and all others are set to Manual. I prefer to let the computer upgrade my aircraft for me to save APs, but sometimes I will upgrade a particularly high morale/high experience unit that is flying crap to a better model.
4. My goal is to have 7 airbases attached to each Front Air Command HQ and to have these HQs commanded by a "6" or better air rated leader. However, due to a lack of airbases and 6+ leaders neither of these goals is currently achievable.
5. Two airbases per Front are stacked with 9 fighter groups. Of the total of 18 fighter groups 4 or 5 are set to night missions as Saper loves to bomb my HQs at night. Two airbases per Front are stacked with from 6 to 9 tactical bomber groups. Two are stacked with 4 level bomber groups and the final airbase has 1 recon airgroup and 3 level bomber groups (with good range) set to Night missions.
6. As for airdoctrine, I am going by memory as I am doing this from work, but I believe I have almost all my levels set at or close to the maximum except % needed to fly which is only 10%.
7. In terms of using my airforce, other than interception which occurs on my opponents turn, I use them primarily for combat support. I seldom bomb enemy air bases. I will bomb his ground units 2 to 5 times in advance before I launch a ground attack if I think the battle is going to be close and/or it is an important attack; but this is probably only once or twice per turn. While Saper has had great success bombing my Army HQs, when I have reciprocated the results have always been dissappointing.
8. As one of my last actions each turn I go through my airgroups and bring them up to full complement (9 for fighters, 6 to 9 for tactical and 4 for level) by transferring units in from Reserve (for newbies, you don't want to do this earlier because transferring in aircraft will reduce your airbases movement).
So what am I doing right and what am I doing wrong?
< Message edited by Harrybanana -- 1/2/2013 11:52:10 PM >