Defending Mother Russia Saper vs Harrybanana (No Saper)

Post descriptions of your brilliant victories and unfortunate defeats here.

Moderators: Joel Billings, Sabre21

Harrybanana

Defending Mother Russia Saper vs Harrybanana (No Saper)

Post by Harrybanana »

I see that Saper has started an AAR on our game so decided that I would too. This is my first AAR so please bear with me as I’m sure to make many mistakes, not just in my game play but also in writing this AAR. In particular I am not experienced in using “paint” or any similar programs.

This is the second game Saper and I have played, both with him as the Germans and me as the Russians. The first game ended with a Russian victory in early 44 but I expect this game will be very different. Prior to our first game I believe Saper had played and won several games as the Russians, but ours was either the first or one of the first that he had played as the Germans. He is a very quick learner. Not quick enough to help him in our game as he could not recover from some early mistakes; but quick enough to win (or be winning) all of the games he started after ours against some very good opponents. Perhaps the scariest thing is that he keeps improving with each game.

Saper let me choose the game options. We are playing with random weather because I have never played with it before and figured I should give it a try. I know some say that random weather favours the Russians, especially in 41, but I am not so sure. The Germans will always know what the weather will be on the Russian turn, but the Russian will never know what the weather will be on the German turn. That has to favour the Germans right?

I chose the alternate victory conditions for 2 reasons. The first is because in our first game Saper graciously played right until the end even though I offered to accept his surrender and the outcome was not in doubt from the fall of 42 on. I therefore feel obligated to continue this game to the end not matter how badly he is beating me. At least now the game will be over quicker for me. The second reason is because I believe that the Russians should not win the game if they take longer than historical to defeat the Germans.

I did want to play a server game, but Saper informs me that he is unable to play server games. Something about a Russian keyboard and his inability to register the game. This does not concern me as it may others. After all I won our first game and I do not have such a lofty regard for my abilities as to think I could actually beat somone who was not playing straight up.
Robert Harris
Harrybanana

RE: Defending Mother Russia

Post by Harrybanana »

T1 North

I didn’t decide to start this AAR until after I sent saper my turn 2, so I don’t have any screen shots from during my turns. What I have done is gone back and reloaded saper’s first 2 turns and taken screen shots from them. Personally I believe this is Ok so long as you don’t do any reconnaissance with either your aircraft or units. If anyone has a different opinion let me know. I assume Saper has provided screenshots in his AAR of the over all progress, so I only intend to highlight a few key events. If I’m wrong and you want some bigger screen shots let me know.

Below is a screen shot of the North after Saper’s turn 1. I have shown the battles so you can see how Saper has made several airdrops to his mechanized (ie armour and motorized) units. The hex circled in red is where I am 99.9% certain the Tot SS Mot. Div. ended it’s turn. I left the division in Riga to slow it’s progress. The area circled in blue is where I placed a number of units in checkerboard formation to slow his advance to Pskov.

Attachments
T1North2.jpg
T1North2.jpg (275.6 KiB) Viewed 955 times
Robert Harris
Harrybanana

Post by Harrybanana »

T1 South

The Extended Lvov Opening in all its glory. All I could do was cry and run leaving all those nice units circled in red to their doom. Well actually, looking at it now I could have mustered some of the units inside the circle (none outside could reach) to attack the weak German regiment circled in pink. It was a long shot but with a few preliminary bombings it might have worked and opened the pocket. But I’m ashamed to say I didn’t even make this attempt. Why? Because of Shock and Awe I guess. Even though I knew, from prior AARs, that this was coming I just wasn’t prepared mentally for it, my mind reeled and I just panicked and ran rather than fully analyzing all my options.

By the way, in order to accomplish this Opening Saper diverted two full panzer corps from the Centre.

Note the Russian tank division circled in blue with 0 Mps. I think if a German unit had moved one hex closer to this unit it would have been unfrozen. Does anyone know if this is the case?

Attachments
T1South2.jpg
T1South2.jpg (297.4 KiB) Viewed 955 times
Robert Harris
Harrybanana

Post by Harrybanana »

T2 North

Ok so I broke my own rule and did move a unit in the reloaded Turn 2 from Saper. But I only did it so you could see the German Security regiment which was otherwise hidden and I did the identical move on my turn of the game anyway. The reason I wanted you to see this regiment is because in the game I successfully attacked it as illustrated and thereby restored supply to my isolated units, woo hoo! So far this is the only attack I have made.

Attachments
T2North1.jpg
T2North1.jpg (198.89 KiB) Viewed 955 times
Robert Harris
Harrybanana

Post by Harrybanana »

T2 North

Below is a closeup of Saper’s thrust towards Pskov. On my turn I moved several units into “hug” his panzers. This has two benefits: 1st it forces his supply to these units to have to move through several ZOCs. As a result the supply to his two lead units, for example, went from something like 30mps to something like 65 mps (I can’t remember the exact numbers). Consequently they should only be getting a trickle of fuel. The 2nd benefit is that he will have to deal with these units before he can resume his advance on Pskov. The downside, of course, is that the units I used are probably toast; but as I only used NKVD or weak (ie low morale) units, this is no big deal.

Attachments
T2North2.jpg
T2North2.jpg (244.07 KiB) Viewed 955 times
Robert Harris
Harrybanana

Post by Harrybanana »

T2 North

The same shot but I’ve turned on the battle display. From this you can see that I made Saper fight a battle every step of the way. Gotta love those NKVD units. I’m not sure but this may be why his advance here was a lot narrower than it was in some of his other games. You can also see from this shot that Saper dropped some more fuel to a couple of his motorized divisions. The blue circled hex contains the Tot SS Mot Div. which I reconned with a couple units until I had it’s detection level high enough to check it’s fuel level; it was fully gassed!. Now remember this division was west of Riga last turn so it moved a long way to get here, so how is it gassed up? If Saper isn’t telling you in his AAR I can tell you it is because he made a single air supply drop to it using 159 JU88As!! The other motorized unit circled in pink received 7 airsupply drops but with much smaller numbers of mostly utility aircraft each time. Needless to say these two units worry me a lot.

Attachments
T2North3.jpg
T2North3.jpg (258.92 KiB) Viewed 955 times
Robert Harris
Harrybanana

Post by Harrybanana »

T2 Centre

A close-up of Saper’s drive to the landbridge. It was also pretty narrow so I hugged these panzers with several units as well. On reflection I may have used too many. I made saper battle his way forward here too. Of course saper made extensive use of airsupply. You can see the motorized unit circled in blue is gassed up. Luckily Saper does not have many mechanized units here, so I am hoping to delay him for a few turns. I know FlaviusX and others are now saying that it isn’t worth trying to hold the landbridge anymore, but old habits die hard. We’ll have to see if saper makes me pay for it.

Attachments
T2Centre1.jpg
T2Centre1.jpg (258.61 KiB) Viewed 955 times
Robert Harris
Harrybanana

Post by Harrybanana »

T2 South

I included the shot below just to show how close I was (1 measly mp) to restoring supply to the Lvov pocket. Yeah I know 18 mps is the max for motorized units at this time, but still[:'(]

Attachments
T2south1.jpg
T2south1.jpg (220.91 KiB) Viewed 955 times
Robert Harris
Harrybanana

Post by Harrybanana »

T2 South

A closeup of Saper’s drive in the south. You can see that 2 of my units didn’t run fast enough. The one furthest west is no big loss, but the other one hurts. Trying to make lemonade out of lemons I used them along with several other units to put ZOCs around as many panzers as I could. The net effect was to substantially increase the mps to supply for his lead units. I can’t do much to stop Saper from supplying his units by air, but I’m going to make supply on the ground to his panzers as difficult as possible. Oh yeah, if you think that motorized unit circled in red could restore supply to the pocket, think again. There was a hidden panzer in there.

Attachments
T2south2.jpg
T2south2.jpg (224.79 KiB) Viewed 955 times
Robert Harris
Harrybanana

Post by Harrybanana »

So after two turns I am very worried. I have not had to run much in previous games and I'm not sure if I'm doing a very good job of it so far. I used up almost all my rail movement in turn 2 moving units. As a result I only had about 4500 left to move industry. I used it to move 3 T34 factories out of Kharkov. Was this a smart move? In previous games I have always been able to move about 30 T34 factories out of Kharkov; but I'm pretty sure I'm not going to have that luxury this game. But still only 3! It will be a long time until they are productive again.

With respect to my airforce I didn't send it all to the National reserve on the first turn like I usually do. But I doubt I'll get too much use out of it anyway.

To try and save armament points I have reduced the TOE on my motorcycle regiments and all my artillery to 50%. Is that smart? Should I be doing something else?
Robert Harris
hooooper_slith

Post by hooooper_slith »

Um I don't think it was a good idea to move so few T34 factories. According to the manual you have to move at least half of the factory for it to fully regenerate.
Harrybanana

Post by Harrybanana »

I hope you're wrong. My understanding was that you needed to move at least 50% to maintain historical production levels. So by moving only 6% from Kharkov I will build far less T34s than historical becuase it will take so long for the evacuated factories to get back into production and I will always have less T34 factories than historical. In other words those 3 factories may eventually build back up to 52+ T34 factories, but if I had moved 30 factories than they might have built up to 100+ T34 factories.
Robert Harris
M60A3TTS

Post by M60A3TTS »

You should be fine on T-34. More factories moved generally means a lower % of damage to recover from, that's it.
sillyflower

Post by sillyflower »

That's my understanding too. No factory growth until all damage repaired. Then grow 1 point/turn until reach max expansion.

Move 100% get only 50% damage. This increases pro rata as you move a smaller % of factories out. I think this is linear so if move 50%, get 75% damage.
web exchange

Post: I am always fearful that when I put this game down on the table and people see the box-art they will think I am some kind of neo-Nazi

Reply: They already know you're a gamer. What other shame can possibly compare?
Baelfiin

Post by Baelfiin »

Harry if you get a chance please show how many air supply missions are being flown into the panzers.
"We are going to attack all night, and attack tomorrow morning..... If we are not victorious, let no one come back alive!" -- Patton
WITE-Beta
WITW-Alpha
The Logistics Phase is like Black Magic and Voodoo all rolled into one.
Michael T

Post by Michael T »

I did want to play a server game, but Saper informs me that he is unable to play server games. Something about a Russian keyboard and his inability to register the game.

He could possibly source an English keyboard, change language settings to English and loggon. You only need to do it once. He could then put his Russian keyboard back and restore his Russian language. He shouldn't need to re enter his password to loggon again. I never have too. It must be held in memory somewhere. I wonder if there are other Russian players who can't use the Slitherine Server System? It seems odd that Slitherine would make it so difficult for foreign language players.
Walloc

Post by Walloc »

About the T 34 evac. There really isnt a problem in evacing less than 50% i'd even say its advisble not to do 50% in this case. U will get a surplus of T-34 any how so saving RR cap here is a smart thing. Same is the true in many cases. Ill refere to my guide here.

tm.asp?m=3148679

If u got any questions, i know im not always the most understandble, please ask.

Kind regards,

Rasmus
Harrybanana

Post by Harrybanana »

ORIGINAL: Baelfiin

Harry if you get a chance please show how many air supply missions are being flown into the panzers.

By "panzers" do you mean just his panzer divisions, or his panzer and motorized divisions combined? In any event, turn by turn the number of airsupply missions he flew are:

Turn 1: 24
Turn 2: 25
Turn 3: 39 (he was stuck in the mud turn 3 so flew very few combat missions).

As far as I can tell all or virtually all of his airsupply missions have been flown to his panzer or motorized units, with most to his motorized. Of course, since he has fewer motorized units, it means that he is probably flying 2 to 3 air supply missions to each of his motorized units for every 1 he is flying to his panzer divisions. That is my best guess anyway as it is not always possible to tell what units were in the hex at the time the airsupply mission was flown.

I have now completed my 3rd turn and will post some screen shots as soon as I get a chance, which probably won't be for a few hours.
Robert Harris
Harrybanana

Post by Harrybanana »

T3

Mud hits the Central Soviet Zone putting an effective halt to Saper’s offensive on all Fronts. Of course this is good news for the Soviets, but it isn’t as perfect as it could have been. For one thing I used a lot of units last turn to hug his panzers that were essentially wasted as he wasn’t going anywhere anyway. For another it means that I couldn’t run away as far as I wanted, especially in the South. For a few reasons I actually wasn’t too worried about Saper making any great progress or encirclements on Turn 3 anyway; but now for turn 4 his panzer/motorized units will have more mobility than they would have had on turn 3 if it was clear. Does that make sense? Don’t get me wrong; I am happy for the mud as it delayed Saper for a full turn. But had I known it was going to be mud on his turn I would have done things differently.

Below is the view in the North after my turn. You can see Saper has isolated 3 of the units I was hugging him with last turn. By my count he has 4 motorized and 5 panzers divisions in this area. Next turn he will have the option of either encircling some of my units or pounding his way north. I’m just hoping he can’t do both.

Attachments
T3NorthAfter.jpg
T3NorthAfter.jpg (312.1 KiB) Viewed 955 times
Robert Harris
Harrybanana

Post by Harrybanana »

T3 Centre

I believe Saper only has 4 panzer and 3 motorized divisions in the centre; so I’m hoping to hold him here for a couple turns.

Attachments
T3CentreAfter.jpg
T3CentreAfter.jpg (356.57 KiB) Viewed 955 times
Robert Harris

Return to “After Action Reports”