Matrix Games Forums

New Fronts are opening up for Commander: The Great WarCharacters of World War 1Sign of for the Pike and Shot Beta!More Games are Coming to Steam! Deal of the Week: Combat Command Return to the Moon on October 31st! Commander: The Great War iPad Wallpapers Generals of the Great WarDeal of the Week Panzer CorpsNew Strategy Titles Join the Family
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

How long before you move to the Western Front ...

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Conflict of Heroes Series >> How long before you move to the Western Front ... Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
How long before you move to the Western Front ... - 11/4/2012 12:35:25 AM   
Rtwfreak

with this game engine? I'm a big fan of American, British, French, Italian units an equipment. So any info on the Western Theater implementation of this engine?
Post #: 1
RE: How long before you move to the Western Front ... - 11/4/2012 1:18:09 AM   
ericbabe

There are no definite plans yet. We're planning to release "Storms of Steel" in Q1 of 2013. The pace at which we can do other sequels will depend in large part on how well this series continues to sell. I think a Western Front expansion would be fun.

(in reply to Rtwfreak)
Post #: 2
RE: How long before you move to the Western Front ... - 11/4/2012 8:43:32 AM   
oivind22

As long as this series continues to be based on the board game, I would think Guadalcanal would come first. There were supposed to be a Normandy expansion (First Men In), but this is not listed on Academy Games' website, so I would guess this is several years off (if it comes at all). Gudalcanal, however, is listed as "coming soon". The expansions that have actually been published so far (Storms of Steel and Price of Honor) are both eastern front, and the next game to be published is the 2nd edition of Awakening the Bear. But I guess there is no reason the computer game has to have the same expansions as the board game, although the first expansion (Storms of Steel) is also the first expansion of the board game.

(in reply to Rtwfreak)
Post #: 3
RE: How long before you move to the Western Front ... - 11/10/2012 9:58:49 PM   
Double Deuce

Pacific would be nice as would early war Western Front and the Med/North Africa.

Combat Campaigns Blog

(in reply to oivind22)
Post #: 4
RE: How long before you move to the Western Front ... - 11/10/2012 11:11:18 PM   
Ratzki

Would not "Price of Honour" be next in line?

(in reply to Double Deuce)
Post #: 5
RE: How long before you move to the Western Front ... - 11/10/2012 11:53:36 PM   
junk2drive

On one hand I think that it probably takes a while to make the 3D models. And that chit players don't want to wait. On the other hand, with Matrix owning several 3D games and their models, you think they could just plop them into this game.

Waiting and hoping for the Guadalcanal edition.

(in reply to Ratzki)
Post #: 6
RE: How long before you move to the Western Front ... - 11/11/2012 2:22:04 AM   
Jamm

Hopefully, the computer version doesn't hold itself back after dealing with the board game expansions.
Otherwise it may be a long wait.
With the system in place, it seems easy enough for WCS to branch out into any theater it wishes.
New units, new maps, new scenarios, more sales.
Seems like a nice way to generate business.

When the going gets weird,... the weird turn pro

Hunter S Thompson

(in reply to junk2drive)
Post #: 7
RE: How long before you move to the Western Front ... - 11/11/2012 9:01:22 AM   
Rtwfreak

With prices like $20 I'm sure they will generate some new business.

(in reply to Jamm)
Post #: 8
RE: How long before you move to the Western Front ... - 11/16/2012 1:48:28 PM   
Charly G

quote:

ORIGINAL: ericbabe

There are no definite plans yet. We're planning to release "Storms of Steel" in Q1 of 2013. The pace at which we can do other sequels will depend in large part on how well this series continues to sell. I think a Western Front expansion would be fun.

I hope you will sell many games and you will continue this series.

(in reply to ericbabe)
Post #: 9
RE: How long before you move to the Western Front ... - 11/16/2012 7:04:31 PM   
ericbabe

Thank you. I hope we sell many games too!

(in reply to Charly G)
Post #: 10
RE: How long before you move to the Western Front ... - 11/17/2012 12:52:06 AM   
Wolfe

quote:

ORIGINAL: oivind22

As long as this series continues to be based on the board game, I would think Guadalcanal would come first. There were supposed to be a Normandy expansion (First Men In), but this is not listed on Academy Games' website, so I would guess this is several years off (if it comes at all). Gudalcanal, however, is listed as "coming soon". The expansions that have actually been published so far (Storms of Steel and Price of Honor) are both eastern front, and the next game to be published is the 2nd edition of Awakening the Bear. But I guess there is no reason the computer game has to have the same expansions as the board game, although the first expansion (Storms of Steel) is also the first expansion of the board game.

A general question rather than directed at oivind22

Why is Guadalcanal so popular with wargamers?

To me the PTO at as tactical level is incredibly dull, one short range firefight in a jungle followed by another (over simplifying I know)

Maybe because it has US forces (probably by far the largest nationality of the customer base) , but so does Normandy/Bulge/Western Front, North Africa and Italy.

"In War: Resolution. In Defeat: Defiance. In Victory: Magnanimity. In Peace: Goodwill." - Winston Churchill

(in reply to oivind22)
Post #: 11
RE: How long before you move to the Western Front ... - 11/17/2012 1:05:08 AM   
junk2drive

@Wolfe, IMO most video gamers like to blow stuff up. Video wargamers want tanks to blow stuff up. To make games, you have to sell games. Tanks sell games. Infantry fights don't sell enough to pay the bills. PTO doesn't have a lot of famous tank battles. There was a lot of air to ground warfare. There were lots of naval action. There was a lot of action before the US got into place with the Dutch, Brits, etc. There was other than jungle fighting on the Asian mainland.

But John Wayne and the island hopping Marines that made it into the movies and that is what most people think of the PTO.

(in reply to Wolfe)
Post #: 12
RE: How long before you move to the Western Front ... - 11/17/2012 1:20:15 AM   
Gerry

In terms of most tactical wargames it seems to me the Eastern Front is the most popular one (ASL, CM, etc. - PCO is also Eastern Front). Some of the most epic conflicts happened there. So I think CoH has made the best possible start by having the first, and possibly second, module there.

Gerry

(in reply to junk2drive)
Post #: 13
RE: How long before you move to the Western Front ... - 11/29/2012 10:19:46 PM   
Rtwfreak

quote:

ORIGINAL: junk2drive

@Wolfe, IMO most video gamers like to blow stuff up. Video wargamers want tanks to blow stuff up. To make games, you have to sell games. Tanks sell games. Infantry fights don't sell enough to pay the bills. PTO doesn't have a lot of famous tank battles. There was a lot of air to ground warfare. There were lots of naval action. There was a lot of action before the US got into place with the Dutch, Brits, etc. There was other than jungle fighting on the Asian mainland.

But John Wayne and the island hopping Marines that made it into the movies and that is what most people think of the PTO.

For me it's about one of the first wargames I ever played "Guadacanal" by Avalon Hill. I fell inlove with the colorful unit counters and no more just black and red (russian front games). When I hear the word Guadacanal I just go up about 100% in desire an excitement for that game I don't care who makes it. HPS has a great squad battles quadacanal scenario and it's really the tactical part of wargaming I love most. I also liked the step reduction of the Avalon Hill Guadacanal game as it felt more like an individual soldier instead of a division to me. I'm really one who doesn't care about tanks and planes (except WWI planes) and am totally into the infantry combat of wargames. It's why I also like Panzer Command and Combat Mission as I can load the screen up with infantry battles and play John Wayne.
quote:

Well Pilgrim somebody's got to go out there and take out that Machine gun nest, but, I won't, I won't......the hell I WON'T!"

(in reply to junk2drive)
Post #: 14
RE: How long before you move to the Western Front ... - 12/1/2012 4:40:53 PM   
junk2drive

Info page for First Men In: D-Day Airborne Ops

http://academy-games.com/games/conflict-of-heroes/first-men-in-d-day-airborne-operations

I hope the computer version has some nifty animation of para drops with random landing hexes.

(in reply to Rtwfreak)
Post #: 15
RE: How long before you move to the Western Front ... - 12/1/2012 7:03:02 PM   
Gerry

An incredible number of scenarios there; some of the numbered scenarios are really 2 or 3 firefights. I realize a lot of them are over the same ground. Still seems very interesting.

I believe they are also working on a France 1940 game and I saw a scenario list for that sometime ago.

Gerry

(in reply to junk2drive)
Post #: 16
RE: How long before you move to the Western Front ... - 12/2/2012 3:21:15 AM   
Ratzki

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gerry

I believe they are also working on a France 1940 game and I saw a scenario list for that sometime ago.

Gerry

1940 France would be great to see.

(in reply to Gerry)
Post #: 17
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Conflict of Heroes Series >> How long before you move to the Western Front ... Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI