Matrix Games Forums

Pandora: Eclipse of Nashira is now availableDistant Worlds Gets another updateHell is Approaching Deal of the Week Battle Academy Battle Academy 2 Out now!Legions of Steel ready for betaBattle Academy 2 gets trailers and Steam page!Deal of the Week Germany at WarSlitherine Group acquires Shenandoah StudioNew information and screenshots for Pike & Shot
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Can I play the whole Battle?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Scourge of War Series >> Can I play the whole Battle? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Can I play the whole Battle? - 11/1/2012 7:32:49 PM   
Augustas

Looing at the product info it says there are several scenarios covering parts of the battlefield / battle.
Is there a scenario that lets me play (against the Ai) the whole battle in 3 distinc days.?
Post #: 1
RE: Can I play the whole Battle? - 11/1/2012 10:16:00 PM   
Jim_NSD

Not as part of the base game. There is a scenario mod available that does try to do that.

-Jim

Design Lead: Scourge of War

"My God, if we've not got a cool brain and a big one too, to manage this affair, the nation is ruined forever." Unknown private, 14th Vermont Infantry, 2 July 1863

(in reply to Augustas)
Post #: 2
RE: Can I play the whole Battle? - 11/17/2012 11:44:18 PM   
ETF

With the power of modern CPU's why not Jim? Can you play in MP vs. MP?

My Top Matrix Games 1)CMANO 2) War In the East/Pacific AE 3) Ageod's ACW 4) Panther Games

Twitter PC Wargamer
https://twitter.com/TacticWargamer

www.facebook.com/wargamesimulations

(in reply to Jim_NSD)
Post #: 3
RE: Can I play the whole Battle? - 11/20/2012 6:42:09 AM   
RCH

"Can you play in MP vs. MP? "--ETF

Not sure what this actually asks. I can say that there are regular MP games of 12 to 15 players with 10s of thousands of men on the field. There have been games of 18 and 20 players. The MP community is a good one with two major groups and several smaller ones. There are games every day.

(in reply to ETF)
Post #: 4
RE: Can I play the whole Battle? - 11/20/2012 6:48:20 PM   
Jim_NSD

quote:

ORIGINAL: ETF

With the power of modern CPU's why not Jim? Can you play in MP vs. MP?

It is not a CPU issue, it is the dynamic/random nature of the AI. When building an individual scenario we try to have the scripting guide the first 10 - 20 minutes. After that the AI-generated divergence and reactions to the players actions combine to produce highly divergent battles, even from the same starting point. For a 4 day battle, it is certain that reinforcements coming in at historical times and places would be wildly out of place. For example if a very good and aggressive Union CO pushed the CS forces back on Fredericksburg on May 1, then the reinforcing Union forces would/should have crossed quite a bit farther down river say at Scott's Ford rather than at Ely's or United States fords where they actually crossed.

MP can be player vs player or players vs the AI. There are groups that do each one. Regardless, the AI will take command of any units not under control of any player.

-Jim

Design Lead: Scourge of War

"My God, if we've not got a cool brain and a big one too, to manage this affair, the nation is ruined forever." Unknown private, 14th Vermont Infantry, 2 July 1863

(in reply to ETF)
Post #: 5
RE: Can I play the whole Battle? - 11/23/2012 6:43:58 PM   
janh

Jim, couldn't you have the Union reinforcements start in Falmouth area (wasn't that were Sedgwick's corps and most of the Union army was encamped before CV?), and use a script to determine based on the ownership of VP locations, which route they would be supposed to take?

With a 4 day scenario, a lot of scripting would be needed, and lots of what-if-then case checks would have to be conceived to give AI a hand its planning, just leaving the local actions to it. Sounds like this could be something the community could develop as it would probably take a lot of time to evolve and fine-tune. But the community I noticed over at NSD board, or the old CWBR/TC2M forums consists of some very skilled modders, and people who could bring up the time and patience to make this work... Especially now with DaVinci's new 10 mile map concept, this sounds generally doable...

(in reply to Jim_NSD)
Post #: 6
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Scourge of War Series >> Can I play the whole Battle? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI