Matrix Games Forums

Space Program Manager Launch Contest Announced!Battle Academy 2 is out now on iPad!A closer look at rockets in Space Program ManagerDeal of the Week - Pride of NationsA new update for Piercing Fortress EuropaNew screenshots for War in the West!Pike & Shot is now available!Server Maintenance Battle Academy 2 gets updated!Deal of the Week: Advanced Tactics Gold
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Slightly OT: Windows 8

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds Series >> RE: Slightly OT: Windows 8 Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Slightly OT: Windows 8 - 11/2/2012 10:48:17 PM   
tjhkkr

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shark7
quote:

ORIGINAL: tjhkkr
quote:

ORIGINAL: Shark7

Well I went out and did some looking, finding reviews that have both pictures and videos and have come to a conclusion, and reading comments from folks that have made the switch...

No, just NO! Windows 8 is not for me at all. What a nightmare. Old men like me who don't even like text messaging will get nothing out of a Win 8 upgrade, there is just nothing added to it I need. Compiling and organizing all your social media...well I refuse to do Facebook, Twitter or their ilk...no benefit there.

Desktop set up like an ipad or smart phone...I hate smart phones and their interface. Again, no benefit for me.

The start up shut down times. I guess I'm old, but the 10-15 seconds you save is nil. I'm not in that big of a hurry to do things, part of getting older I guess.

I just honestly see zero benefit for me, total waste of money and I don't see any need to put myself through having to learn a new OS interface when the one I have already suits my needs well. Some of you guys may like it, but I don't like change to start with, and Win 8 is too big of a change.

Ok, guess I'm done with my little rant now.

Okay Shark, you sound like me: I cut my teeth on punch cards when I was 14 started on an IBM 360 transister machine.
Where were you in this?

Not quite that far back, but I started with a Commodore 64 when I was a kid and can remember when an IBM 8086 Desktop was the greatest thing since sliced bread....we thought those things were lightning fast. Now they are only useful as a trot-line weight or boat anchor.

Not that I don't know what an IBM 360 is, we got to go on a field trip when I was in 1st grade and got to see one in action. Man that was a long time ago...and probably dates me fairly well.

Well to put it in perspective, it took chilling a room at 58 degrees. AND...
A 4k add on memory module was as big as a coffee table... and that is no exaggeration.
To play Star Trek (I was 14 at the time) required a 300 baud modem, and at peak hours, running the star trek game would bring the system to its knees.

Remember that the evil which is now in the world will become yet more powerful, and that it is not evil which conquers evil, but only love -- Olga Romanov.

(in reply to Shark7)
Post #: 31
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds Series >> RE: Slightly OT: Windows 8 Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI