Slightly OT: Windows 8

Distant Worlds is a vast, pausable real-time, 4X space strategy game which models a "living galaxy" with incredible options for replayability and customizability. Experience the full depth and detail of large turn-based strategy games, but with the simplicity and ease of real-time, and on the scale of a massively-multiplayer online game. Now greatly enhanced with the new Universe release, which includes all four previous releases as well as the new Universe expansion!

Moderators: elliotg, Icemania

Shark7

Slightly OT: Windows 8

Post by Shark7 »

But not completely OT...

First off has anyone tried running DW on it yet?

Secondly, opinions?

Right now, I'm at the point of probably staying away from this one. I really don't see that I would get any benefit from it over my current windows 7. I don't have a touch screen, and I completely loathe smart phones and ipads. Bearing in mind I don't even use text messaging. Seems to me sticking with what I have makes more sense...Win 8 is mostly just new features I won't use anyway.

That said, I am willing to listen to other opinions, I can still change my mind about it.
Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'
tjhkkr

RE: Slightly OT: Windows 8

Post by tjhkkr »

I may not have much choice; I have a 64 bit machine...

I don't have a touch screen, and I completely loathe smart phones and ipads. Bearing in mind I don't even use text messaging. Seems to me sticking with what I have makes more sense...Win 8 is mostly just new features I won't use anyway.
I tend to agree with you.
The may have optimized multi-core processing though...
Remember that the evil which is now in the world will become yet more powerful, and that it is not evil which conquers evil, but only love -- Olga Romanov.
Shark7

Post by Shark7 »

I have a 64 bit machine too. Win 7 has worked fine for me thus far, and even if they optimized multi-core processing, would I really notice the difference, since basically my PC is for internet, DW and WiTP? I don't do much else with it.
Distant Worlds Fan

WoodMan

Post by WoodMan »

I have a 64 bit machine too, why on earth would this make a difference with regards to making the switch or not?

I think right now 64 bit is not really utilized well enough by the industry anyway. With the exception of photoshop nothing on my computer actually uses 64 bit. It is primarily a gaming machine and I have not found a game that makes use of 64bit yet, especially as most games these days need to work on the Xbox and PS3 too!

As for Win8 I lost interest shortly after it was announced and I saw the first previewws of it. Did they fix it up and make it useable on a home desktop computer yet or is it still a teenagers toy (they are the only people who uses all these little novelty gadgets with slidy screens right?)
"My body may be confined to this chair, but my mind is free to explore the universe" - Stephen Hawking
Bingeling

Post by Bingeling »

The main gain from 64 bit is the OS allowing the use of more than 3.3G or so of memory.

As from Win8, I doubt I will ever swap Win7 for that. But some new hardware may of course end up with it one day.
Nedrear

Post by Nedrear »

I am not sure if the MS policy changed, but didn't they cut out a lot of standard programs and charge for these in extra downloads now since most people as they said were annoyed having them? If I want my Windows 7-64 Bit I got now in a less beautiful hull and drilled like a cheese I can buy Windows 98. And yes Windows 7 got a 64 Bit version too, no need for Windows 8.
One Thread To Guide Them All

"Nothing incorporeal wields such power as a word. Though it is the weapon of the smart and cunning it alas needs the same to prevail."
JosEPhII

Post by JosEPhII »

Why do MS (and Apple too) think they need to destroy the desk top computer? That's all Win 8 is about anyway.

Plus this whole Cloud business. We (MS) don't "want" you, the public, to have your own data repositories anymore. Put it on "our" servers so we can eventually charge and control what you have and do. Well they actually have the "charge" part already, Cloud iirc isn't Free.

JosEPh
"old and slow.....Watch out!"
adecoy95

Post by adecoy95 »

i would be surprised if DW could not run on windows 8

and the touch screen is a non issue to be honest, in order to gain access to it developers will need to go through the windows marketplace, you can still develop windows software but no game bought from steam, origin, uplay, impulse, GOG, or even wall-mart will ever contain touchpad support because of this
Shark7

Post by Shark7 »

ORIGINAL: JosEPh_II

Why do MS (and Apple too) think they need to destroy the desk top computer? That's all Win 8 is about anyway.

Plus this whole Cloud business. We (MS) don't "want" you, the public, to have your own data repositories anymore. Put it on "our" servers so we can eventually charge and control what you have and do. Well they actually have the "charge" part already, Cloud iirc isn't Free.

JosEPh

That right there is a deal killer for me. There is a reason I have a HD in my computer and a couple of USB externals for back up...I want control of my data, not them.
Distant Worlds Fan

mllange

Post by mllange »

Virtually any program that runs on Windows 7 will run on Windows 8.
There's a simple answer to every complex question - and it's wrong.
-Umberto Eco
Shark7

Post by Shark7 »

ORIGINAL: nim8or

Virtually any program that runs on Windows 7 will run on Windows 8.

Well at least it will work if ever we are forced to swap (which I don't see how they can force us to do anything honestly).
Distant Worlds Fan

tjhkkr

Post by tjhkkr »

ORIGINAL: Shark7
ORIGINAL: JosEPh_II

JosEPh

That right there is a deal killer for me. There is a reason I have a HD in my computer and a couple of USB externals for back up...I want control of my data, not them.

You have got to be kidding me...
They want you to store data on the net...
Are they limiting what you can have on your own machine... is that really true?
OR is it that they want more people on the net, and want to force high speed connections.

I love you DW, but the day that happens, I go offline and back to my boardgames forever...
Remember that the evil which is now in the world will become yet more powerful, and that it is not evil which conquers evil, but only love -- Olga Romanov.
unclean

Post by unclean »

ORIGINAL: WoodMan
As for Win8 I lost interest shortly after it was announced and I saw the first previewws of it. Did they fix it up and make it useable on a home desktop computer yet or is it still a teenagers toy (they are the only people who uses all these little novelty gadgets with slidy screens right?)
The couple reviews I've read basically said it's doable but all kinds of janky to use with a mouse + keyboard.

btw if anyone wants a performance boost in DW windows xp is the biggest upgrade you can do.
Algon

Post by Algon »

The old interface is still available on Win8, which should allow you to run all your old stuff. They simply won't be able to use new features of the new UI.

The new UI (called WinRT I think... was called Metro) will only allow you to run programs purchased through Windows Marketplace - basically like Apples App store. While, as I mentioned, in Win8 you can still use the old interface, Microsoft are clearly planning to phase that out in favour of a future where you can only install programs by purchasing them from Microsoft. Gabe Newell knows what this means (it will kill steam) which is why he's slammed Win8 so hard, and why he's now looking at linux support.

My advice is don't touch Win8, and unless MS gets a clue, I won't be using Windows past Win7.
ORIGINAL: tjhkkr
You have got to be kidding me...
They want you to store data on the net...
Are they limiting what you can have on your own machine... is that really true?
No, it's simply a trend (that I haven't been able to understand) mostly aimed at business, to outsource their data storage costs. 'The cloud' is the hip new word that CTO's like to throw around to make themselves sound knowledgeable and up with the times.

While it certainly saves costs, few seem to have realised (as you have) that they no longer have full control of their own data. There have been several instances of data loss (one at one of Microsoft's own cloud offering!) and data theft - MS' response when they lost people's data (irretrievably) was essentially "Oops, sorry about that." [8|]

AminMaalouf

Post by AminMaalouf »

I had a look into the Beta of Win 8 when building a system over the year and decided to stay with Win 7 for already owning a licence. Over time when bus bandwith increases, I will look for a new OS. If I remember correctly most or all programs that ran on my former build with Win 7, ran also on the new with Win 8 Beta. DW anyway. DW reacted quite quickly.
wozza

Post by wozza »

ORIGINAL: adecoy95

in order to gain access to it developers will need to go through the windows marketplace, you can still develop windows software but no game bought from steam, origin, uplay, impulse, GOG, or even wall-mart will ever contain touchpad support because of this
Expect some anti thrust cases against MS over this. The EU will be one to take on MS and i expect other interested parties will also take on MS. And expect more games to be ported to Linux. Way to go Microsoft.

Pipewrench

Post by Pipewrench »

Shark7,

Yes distant worlds runs on windows 8

I have run Legends on a Windows 7 platform running VMWare 8.4 with windows 8 installed and 4GB reserved out of 8GB total memory.

Windows 8 is a very good platform that will lead to new ways of doing things. Touch pad, voice and mobility is the future and both Apple and Microsoft know this. The cloud will completely take over large data storage and that is why there is a mini-boom in data protection by IT firms.

wozza

Linux will not save the day. You have to know what your doing and many people out there have no clue how to work with Linux. I have Ubuntu and Redhat and there is a very steep learning curve that would tax a new user who is pressed for time. As for your anti-trust comment, I do agree with you but Firefox runs on windows 8 and it is up to software developers to conform to the new system.

It will be fascinating to see what happens in a couple of years. Good or bad it will be different.

“We are limited only by our imagination and our will to act.”
– Ron Garan
Shark7

Post by Shark7 »

Well I like being stuck in the past. Guess I'll get left behind eventually.
Distant Worlds Fan

Shark7

Post by Shark7 »

Well I went out and did some looking, finding reviews that have both pictures and videos and have come to a conclusion, and reading comments from folks that have made the switch...

No, just NO! Windows 8 is not for me at all. What a nightmare. Old men like me who don't even like text messaging will get nothing out of a Win 8 upgrade, there is just nothing added to it I need. Compiling and organizing all your social media...well I refuse to do Facebook, Twitter or their ilk...no benefit there.

Desktop set up like an ipad or smart phone...I hate smart phones and their interface. Again, no benefit for me.

The start up shut down times. I guess I'm old, but the 10-15 seconds you save is nil. I'm not in that big of a hurry to do things, part of getting older I guess. [;)]

I just honestly see zero benefit for me, total waste of money and I don't see any need to put myself through having to learn a new OS interface when the one I have already suits my needs well. Some of you guys may like it, but I don't like change to start with, and Win 8 is too big of a change.

Ok, guess I'm done with my little rant now. [:)]
Distant Worlds Fan

tjhkkr

Post by tjhkkr »

ORIGINAL: Shark7

Well I went out and did some looking, finding reviews that have both pictures and videos and have come to a conclusion, and reading comments from folks that have made the switch...

No, just NO! Windows 8 is not for me at all. What a nightmare. Old men like me who don't even like text messaging will get nothing out of a Win 8 upgrade, there is just nothing added to it I need. Compiling and organizing all your social media...well I refuse to do Facebook, Twitter or their ilk...no benefit there.

Desktop set up like an ipad or smart phone...I hate smart phones and their interface. Again, no benefit for me.

The start up shut down times. I guess I'm old, but the 10-15 seconds you save is nil. I'm not in that big of a hurry to do things, part of getting older I guess. [;)]

I just honestly see zero benefit for me, total waste of money and I don't see any need to put myself through having to learn a new OS interface when the one I have already suits my needs well. Some of you guys may like it, but I don't like change to start with, and Win 8 is too big of a change.

Ok, guess I'm done with my little rant now. [:)]

Okay Shark, you sound like me: I cut my teeth on punch cards when I was 14 started on an IBM 360 transister machine.
Where were you in this?

Return to “Distant Worlds 1 Series”