Matrix Games Forums

Happy Easter!Battle Academy is now available on SteamPlayers compare Ageods Civil War to Civil War IIDeal of the week - An updated War in the East goes half Price!Sign up for the Qvadriga beta for iPad and Android!Come and say hi at Pax and SaluteLegends of War goes on sale!Piercing Fortress Europa Gets UpdatedBattle Academy Mega Pack is now availableClose Combat: Gateway to Caen Teaser Trailer
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Slightly OT: Windows 8

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds Series >> Slightly OT: Windows 8 Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Slightly OT: Windows 8 - 10/31/2012 5:04:56 AM   
Shark7

But not completely OT...

First off has anyone tried running DW on it yet?

Secondly, opinions?

Right now, I'm at the point of probably staying away from this one. I really don't see that I would get any benefit from it over my current windows 7. I don't have a touch screen, and I completely loathe smart phones and ipads. Bearing in mind I don't even use text messaging. Seems to me sticking with what I have makes more sense...Win 8 is mostly just new features I won't use anyway.

That said, I am willing to listen to other opinions, I can still change my mind about it.

Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'
Post #: 1
RE: Slightly OT: Windows 8 - 10/31/2012 5:19:34 AM   
tjhkkr

I may not have much choice; I have a 64 bit machine...

I don't have a touch screen, and I completely loathe smart phones and ipads. Bearing in mind I don't even use text messaging. Seems to me sticking with what I have makes more sense...Win 8 is mostly just new features I won't use anyway.
I tend to agree with you.
The may have optimized multi-core processing though...

Remember that the evil which is now in the world will become yet more powerful, and that it is not evil which conquers evil, but only love -- Olga Romanov.

(in reply to Shark7)
Post #: 2
RE: Slightly OT: Windows 8 - 10/31/2012 5:42:02 AM   
Shark7

I have a 64 bit machine too. Win 7 has worked fine for me thus far, and even if they optimized multi-core processing, would I really notice the difference, since basically my PC is for internet, DW and WiTP? I don't do much else with it.

Distant Worlds Fan

(in reply to tjhkkr)
Post #: 3
RE: Slightly OT: Windows 8 - 10/31/2012 12:36:12 PM   
WoodMan

I have a 64 bit machine too, why on earth would this make a difference with regards to making the switch or not?

I think right now 64 bit is not really utilized well enough by the industry anyway. With the exception of photoshop nothing on my computer actually uses 64 bit. It is primarily a gaming machine and I have not found a game that makes use of 64bit yet, especially as most games these days need to work on the Xbox and PS3 too!

As for Win8 I lost interest shortly after it was announced and I saw the first previewws of it. Did they fix it up and make it useable on a home desktop computer yet or is it still a teenagers toy (they are the only people who uses all these little novelty gadgets with slidy screens right?)

"My body may be confined to this chair, but my mind is free to explore the universe" - Stephen Hawking

(in reply to Shark7)
Post #: 4
RE: Slightly OT: Windows 8 - 10/31/2012 1:58:58 PM   
Bingeling

The main gain from 64 bit is the OS allowing the use of more than 3.3G or so of memory.

As from Win8, I doubt I will ever swap Win7 for that. But some new hardware may of course end up with it one day.

(in reply to WoodMan)
Post #: 5
RE: Slightly OT: Windows 8 - 10/31/2012 2:51:50 PM   
Nedrear

I am not sure if the MS policy changed, but didn't they cut out a lot of standard programs and charge for these in extra downloads now since most people as they said were annoyed having them? If I want my Windows 7-64 Bit I got now in a less beautiful hull and drilled like a cheese I can buy Windows 98. And yes Windows 7 got a 64 Bit version too, no need for Windows 8.

One Thread To Guide Them All

"Nothing incorporeal wields such power as a word. Though it is the weapon of the smart and cunning it alas needs the same to prevail."

(in reply to Bingeling)
Post #: 6
RE: Slightly OT: Windows 8 - 10/31/2012 3:35:04 PM   
JosEPh_II

Why do MS (and Apple too) think they need to destroy the desk top computer? That's all Win 8 is about anyway.

Plus this whole Cloud business. We (MS) don't "want" you, the public, to have your own data repositories anymore. Put it on "our" servers so we can eventually charge and control what you have and do. Well they actually have the "charge" part already, Cloud iirc isn't Free.

JosEPh

"old and slow.....Watch out!"

(in reply to Nedrear)
Post #: 7
RE: Slightly OT: Windows 8 - 10/31/2012 4:16:25 PM   
adecoy95

i would be surprised if DW could not run on windows 8

and the touch screen is a non issue to be honest, in order to gain access to it developers will need to go through the windows marketplace, you can still develop windows software but no game bought from steam, origin, uplay, impulse, GOG, or even wall-mart will ever contain touchpad support because of this

< Message edited by adecoy95 -- 10/31/2012 4:17:09 PM >

(in reply to JosEPh_II)
Post #: 8
RE: Slightly OT: Windows 8 - 10/31/2012 6:05:17 PM   
Shark7

quote:

ORIGINAL: JosEPh_II

Why do MS (and Apple too) think they need to destroy the desk top computer? That's all Win 8 is about anyway.

Plus this whole Cloud business. We (MS) don't "want" you, the public, to have your own data repositories anymore. Put it on "our" servers so we can eventually charge and control what you have and do. Well they actually have the "charge" part already, Cloud iirc isn't Free.

JosEPh

That right there is a deal killer for me. There is a reason I have a HD in my computer and a couple of USB externals for back up...I want control of my data, not them.

Distant Worlds Fan

(in reply to JosEPh_II)
Post #: 9
RE: Slightly OT: Windows 8 - 10/31/2012 10:59:50 PM   
nim8or

Virtually any program that runs on Windows 7 will run on Windows 8.

The punishment which the wise suffer who refuse to take part in the government, is to live under the government of worse men.
- PLATO

(in reply to Shark7)
Post #: 10
RE: Slightly OT: Windows 8 - 11/1/2012 12:16:03 AM   
Shark7

quote:

ORIGINAL: nim8or

Virtually any program that runs on Windows 7 will run on Windows 8.

Well at least it will work if ever we are forced to swap (which I don't see how they can force us to do anything honestly).

Distant Worlds Fan

(in reply to nim8or)
Post #: 11
RE: Slightly OT: Windows 8 - 11/1/2012 1:09:35 AM   
tjhkkr

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shark7
quote:

ORIGINAL: JosEPh_II

JosEPh

That right there is a deal killer for me. There is a reason I have a HD in my computer and a couple of USB externals for back up...I want control of my data, not them.

You have got to be kidding me...
They want you to store data on the net...
Are they limiting what you can have on your own machine... is that really true?
OR is it that they want more people on the net, and want to force high speed connections.

I love you DW, but the day that happens, I go offline and back to my boardgames forever...

Remember that the evil which is now in the world will become yet more powerful, and that it is not evil which conquers evil, but only love -- Olga Romanov.

(in reply to Shark7)
Post #: 12
RE: Slightly OT: Windows 8 - 11/1/2012 3:04:43 AM   
unclean

quote:

ORIGINAL: WoodMan
As for Win8 I lost interest shortly after it was announced and I saw the first previewws of it. Did they fix it up and make it useable on a home desktop computer yet or is it still a teenagers toy (they are the only people who uses all these little novelty gadgets with slidy screens right?)

The couple reviews I've read basically said it's doable but all kinds of janky to use with a mouse + keyboard.

btw if anyone wants a performance boost in DW windows xp is the biggest upgrade you can do.

< Message edited by unclean -- 11/2/2012 1:15:01 AM >

(in reply to WoodMan)
Post #: 13
RE: Slightly OT: Windows 8 - 11/1/2012 8:43:51 AM   
Algon

The old interface is still available on Win8, which should allow you to run all your old stuff. They simply won't be able to use new features of the new UI.

The new UI (called WinRT I think... was called Metro) will only allow you to run programs purchased through Windows Marketplace - basically like Apples App store. While, as I mentioned, in Win8 you can still use the old interface, Microsoft are clearly planning to phase that out in favour of a future where you can only install programs by purchasing them from Microsoft. Gabe Newell knows what this means (it will kill steam) which is why he's slammed Win8 so hard, and why he's now looking at linux support.

My advice is don't touch Win8, and unless MS gets a clue, I won't be using Windows past Win7.

quote:

ORIGINAL: tjhkkr
You have got to be kidding me...
They want you to store data on the net...
Are they limiting what you can have on your own machine... is that really true?

No, it's simply a trend (that I haven't been able to understand) mostly aimed at business, to outsource their data storage costs. 'The cloud' is the hip new word that CTO's like to throw around to make themselves sound knowledgeable and up with the times.

While it certainly saves costs, few seem to have realised (as you have) that they no longer have full control of their own data. There have been several instances of data loss (one at one of Microsoft's own cloud offering!) and data theft - MS' response when they lost people's data (irretrievably) was essentially "Oops, sorry about that."

(in reply to tjhkkr)
Post #: 14
RE: Slightly OT: Windows 8 - 11/1/2012 10:45:02 AM   
AminMaalouf

I had a look into the Beta of Win 8 when building a system over the year and decided to stay with Win 7 for already owning a licence. Over time when bus bandwith increases, I will look for a new OS. If I remember correctly most or all programs that ran on my former build with Win 7, ran also on the new with Win 8 Beta. DW anyway. DW reacted quite quickly.

< Message edited by AminMaalouf -- 11/1/2012 10:57:53 AM >

(in reply to Algon)
Post #: 15
RE: Slightly OT: Windows 8 - 11/1/2012 10:57:30 AM   
wozza

quote:

ORIGINAL: adecoy95

in order to gain access to it developers will need to go through the windows marketplace, you can still develop windows software but no game bought from steam, origin, uplay, impulse, GOG, or even wall-mart will ever contain touchpad support because of this

Expect some anti thrust cases against MS over this. The EU will be one to take on MS and i expect other interested parties will also take on MS. And expect more games to be ported to Linux. Way to go Microsoft.

< Message edited by wozza -- 11/1/2012 11:03:44 AM >

(in reply to adecoy95)
Post #: 16
RE: Slightly OT: Windows 8 - 11/1/2012 1:55:19 PM   
pipewrench

Shark7,

Yes distant worlds runs on windows 8

I have run Legends on a Windows 7 platform running VMWare 8.4 with windows 8 installed and 4GB reserved out of 8GB total memory.

Windows 8 is a very good platform that will lead to new ways of doing things. Touch pad, voice and mobility is the future and both Apple and Microsoft know this. The cloud will completely take over large data storage and that is why there is a mini-boom in data protection by IT firms.

wozza

Linux will not save the day. You have to know what your doing and many people out there have no clue how to work with Linux. I have Ubuntu and Redhat and there is a very steep learning curve that would tax a new user who is pressed for time. As for your anti-trust comment, I do agree with you but Firefox runs on windows 8 and it is up to software developers to conform to the new system.

It will be fascinating to see what happens in a couple of years. Good or bad it will be different.

(in reply to wozza)
Post #: 17
RE: Slightly OT: Windows 8 - 11/1/2012 3:48:22 PM   
Shark7

Well I like being stuck in the past. Guess I'll get left behind eventually.

Distant Worlds Fan

(in reply to pipewrench)
Post #: 18
RE: Slightly OT: Windows 8 - 11/1/2012 7:30:10 PM   
Shark7

Well I went out and did some looking, finding reviews that have both pictures and videos and have come to a conclusion, and reading comments from folks that have made the switch...

No, just NO! Windows 8 is not for me at all. What a nightmare. Old men like me who don't even like text messaging will get nothing out of a Win 8 upgrade, there is just nothing added to it I need. Compiling and organizing all your social media...well I refuse to do Facebook, Twitter or their ilk...no benefit there.

Desktop set up like an ipad or smart phone...I hate smart phones and their interface. Again, no benefit for me.

The start up shut down times. I guess I'm old, but the 10-15 seconds you save is nil. I'm not in that big of a hurry to do things, part of getting older I guess.

I just honestly see zero benefit for me, total waste of money and I don't see any need to put myself through having to learn a new OS interface when the one I have already suits my needs well. Some of you guys may like it, but I don't like change to start with, and Win 8 is too big of a change.

Ok, guess I'm done with my little rant now.

Distant Worlds Fan

(in reply to Shark7)
Post #: 19
RE: Slightly OT: Windows 8 - 11/2/2012 2:33:43 AM   
tjhkkr

quote:

Well I went out and did some looking, finding reviews that have both pictures and videos and have come to a conclusion, and reading comments from folks that have made the switch...

No, just NO! Windows 8 is not for me at all. What a nightmare. Old men like me who don't even like text messaging will get nothing out of a Win 8 upgrade, there is just nothing added to it I need. Compiling and organizing all your social media...well I refuse to do Facebook, Twitter or their ilk...no benefit there.

Desktop set up like an ipad or smart phone...I hate smart phones and their interface. Again, no benefit for me.

The start up shut down times. I guess I'm old, but the 10-15 seconds you save is nil. I'm not in that big of a hurry to do things, part of getting older I guess.

I just honestly see zero benefit for me, total waste of money and I don't see any need to put myself through having to learn a new OS interface when the one I have already suits my needs well. Some of you guys may like it, but I don't like change to start with, and Win 8 is too big of a change.

Okay Shark, you sound like me: I cut my teeth on punch cards when I was 14 started on an IBM 360 transister machine.
Where were you in this?

(in reply to Shark7)
Post #: 20
RE: Slightly OT: Windows 8 - 11/2/2012 5:04:11 AM   
Shark7

quote:

ORIGINAL: tjhkkr

quote:

Okay Shark, you sound like me: I cut my teeth on punch cards when I was 14 started on an IBM 360 transister machine.
Where were you in this?

Not quite that far back, but I started with a Commodore 64 when I was a kid and can remember when an IBM 8086 Desktop was the greatest thing since sliced bread....we thought those things were lightning fast. Now they are only useful as a trot-line weight or boat anchor.

Not that I don't know what an IBM 360 is, we got to go on a field trip when I was in 1st grade and got to see one in action. Man that was a long time ago...and probably dates me fairly well.

Distant Worlds Fan

(in reply to tjhkkr)
Post #: 21
RE: Slightly OT: Windows 8 - 11/2/2012 5:24:02 AM   
unclean

quote:

ORIGINAL: pipewrench
Windows 8 is a very good platform that will lead to new ways of doing things. Touch pad, voice and mobility is the future and both Apple and Microsoft know this. The cloud will completely take over large data storage and that is why there is a mini-boom in data protection by IT firms.

Is there any reason to have touch controls on a desktop though?

The mobile/desktop split that apple is doing seems a lot smarter.

(in reply to pipewrench)
Post #: 22
RE: Slightly OT: Windows 8 - 11/2/2012 12:35:49 PM   
pipewrench

quote:

ORIGINAL: unclean
Is there any reason to have touch controls on a desktop though?

The mobile/desktop split that apple is doing seems a lot smarter.

Yes,

With windows 8 you have multi-monitor touch support. So for instance, you could redesign Distant worlds to place only the star map on one large monitor, a full view of what you want to see on another and place all the user interface buttons on a third ie: Microsoft surface. The surface now is a modified keyboard with only the buttons you need for the game. This UI can change and have animation running with what happens in the game. In my opinion, all new monitors will soon be designed flat as to take advantage of touch so that you can have 26' keyboards if you want.

Apple has a great UI and it will be interesting how this works out.With touch and voice coming into mainline UI it finally gives users of the PC market a touch keyboard that is graphically designed for the application.

Shark7,

Your not stuck in the past. Your carefully observing and not spending your money foolishly. When all this really takes off in 2 years the software offered will make things clearer on what to buy. The mouse will have relevance but the Keyboard might be on its way out. Mobile started this and now it is moving into PC. Voice is next and you and I know HAL is just around the corner.

< Message edited by pipewrench -- 11/2/2012 2:01:03 PM >

(in reply to unclean)
Post #: 23
RE: Slightly OT: Windows 8 - 11/2/2012 3:11:01 PM   
Algon

quote:

ORIGINAL: pipewrench

With windows 8 you have multi-monitor touch support. So for instance, you could redesign Distant worlds to place only the star map on one large monitor, a full view of what you want to see on another and place all the user interface buttons on a third ie: Microsoft surface. The surface now is a modified keyboard with only the buttons you need for the game. This UI can change and have animation running with what happens in the game. In my opinion, all new monitors will soon be designed flat as to take advantage of touch so that you can have 26' keyboards if you want.

While I agree that sounds really cool and all, why would I want to use a tablet to emulate a keyboard when I have a perfectly good keyboard now? And having a 26" keyboard would simply mean that I'd have to stretch my fingers that much further...

It's ok - I sort of know what you mean. It makes it possible to have a custom interface without having to rely on keyboard mappings. I think it would have fairly limited appeal though.

(in reply to pipewrench)
Post #: 24
RE: Slightly OT: Windows 8 - 11/2/2012 3:56:45 PM   
pipewrench

quote:

ORIGINAL: Algon

While I agree that sounds really cool and all, why would I want to use a tablet to emulate a keyboard when I have a perfectly good keyboard now? And having a 26" keyboard would simply mean that I'd have to stretch my fingers that much further...

It's ok - I sort of know what you mean. It makes it possible to have a custom interface without having to rely on keyboard mappings. I think it would have fairly limited appeal though.

Think of the tablet not as a keyboard but a complete step up in input. Software can now design user input that has animation built in, relevant only to whats needed and graphical in nature.

ie: selecting a ship brings up a graphical orders page in the tablet with animation for you to input options while freeing up the main screen.
Selecting a planet would again bring up an planetary orders page in the tablet with animation for you to input only planetary orders.

Your keyboard becomes irrelevant as the tablet takes over with a streamlined user input and help prevent errors. Only what is needed to input for a selected task is shown and it can be designed graphically and with animation.

Once the hardware goes fully mainstream the software will follow. This will change PC applications drastically. Apple should follow suit quickly and hopefully within 5 years we have true voice recognition.

< Message edited by pipewrench -- 11/2/2012 4:07:22 PM >

(in reply to Algon)
Post #: 25
RE: Slightly OT: Windows 8 - 11/2/2012 4:42:32 PM   
Shark7

Full voice might be nice, but when you talk like I do...let's just say that I hate using automated phone systems that rely on voice, those systems never understand what I'm saying. I usually end up having to get to a real person to get anything done. It's going to have to be a lot better than that.

As for me, the keyboard is still the way to do it. I can type ~100 words per minute on a keyboard, give me one of those fake keyboard tablet things and I'm totally lost. I need to feel the keys on my fingertips.

Distant Worlds Fan

(in reply to pipewrench)
Post #: 26
RE: Slightly OT: Windows 8 - 11/2/2012 4:57:02 PM   
pipewrench

Don't worry Shark7.
Windows 7, Apple Lion and Linux are safe and so is your pc. Grab the popcorn and watch the war over the next 2 years as hardware changes and software catching up will rule the day. If you ever need a book to read just pm me

< Message edited by pipewrench -- 11/2/2012 4:58:03 PM >

(in reply to Shark7)
Post #: 27
RE: Slightly OT: Windows 8 - 11/2/2012 6:01:43 PM   
Shark7

Well that should be entertaining.

And I'm good for books right now, in fact I'm in the middle of reading 'The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy", funny, funny book.

Distant Worlds Fan

(in reply to pipewrench)
Post #: 28
RE: Slightly OT: Windows 8 - 11/2/2012 6:39:58 PM   
WoodMan

The problem with voice recognition is everyone else can hear what you are writing. Imagine an office where everyone was talking instead of typing, oh god, lol.

"My body may be confined to this chair, but my mind is free to explore the universe" - Stephen Hawking

(in reply to Shark7)
Post #: 29
RE: Slightly OT: Windows 8 - 11/2/2012 9:37:55 PM   
StarLab

Ummm... If my computer EVER heard what I say to it (yelling!)... it would just refuse to do anything for me. heheh

-Larry Monte

DW+RotS+Legends+Shadows

Legends LP
NEWest!! Shadows LP

(in reply to WoodMan)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds Series >> Slightly OT: Windows 8 Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI