Matrix Games Forums

A new update for Piercing Fortress EuropaNew screenshots for War in the West!Pike & Shot is now available!Server Maintenance Battle Academy 2 gets updated!Deal of the Week: Advanced Tactics Gold Ask Buzz Aldrin!Pike & Shot gets Release Date and Twitch Session!Deal of the Week Espana 1936War in the West coming in December!
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

A cheat method?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> A cheat method? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
A cheat method? - 10/30/2012 1:11:33 AM   
Michael T

It seems it is possible to open pbem game files in any version of the game. So in theory a player could load a pbem file in to a version of the game that allowed for example unlimited HQBU. Do his move and save it, then move the file to the latest version, reopen and then end his turn.

My question is, is this possible?
If so can we put in place a safeguard against this, like not allowing a save game of a later version to be opened in a older version.

Also is this cheating technique possible on the server?

I admit this is not my idea, it was raised by another to me. I got thinking and here I am posting it.

'Deus le Volt!'
------------------
Post #: 1
RE: A cheat method? - 10/30/2012 1:57:03 AM   
Bletchley_Geek

quote:

ORIGINAL: Michael T

It seems it is possible to open pbem game files in any version of the game. So in theory a player could load a pbem file in to a version of the game that allowed for example unlimited HQBU. Do his move and save it, then move the file to the latest version, reopen and then end his turn.

My question is, is this possible?
If so can we put in place a safeguard against this, like not allowing a save game of a later version to be opened in a older version.

Also is this cheating technique possible on the server?

I admit this is not my idea, it was raised by another to me. I got thinking and here I am posting it.

Yes, that is indeed possible. If the cheater was painstaking enough, he could wave through patch changes by loading the game with 1.06.06, and then ending the turn - and triggering the logistics phase, which leaves note of the version number in the logistics report - with 1.06.19.

(in reply to Michael T)
Post #: 2
RE: A cheat method? - 10/30/2012 2:03:36 AM   
Pelton

I am just guessing but

No you can't open it in any version, the first time.

Say we are playing a game PBeM.

You need some extra fuel and longer range to railhead. I am dreaming I am kicking your butt.

1. You open game do recon then save.
2. Close game completely.
3. Patch in 1.04.16
4. Open game do your moves HQB ect. One patch I forget # you could move then HQB 40 MPs from railhead. 2by3 hot patched that out withen a few days JK by the way.
5. Save and close out game.
6. Load in 1.06.16
7. Open game do a move or 2 then save.
8. Repeat 7
9. Open again move 1 unit then end turn.
10. I open game and get a 1.06.19 read out.

If you have 2 computers and 2 accounts or a friend you can test the PBeM version out for yourself.

As far as server goes I beleive the same thing can be done, plus a recon reload on the server. Not 100% sure, but I would love to get OK from 2by3 to test it out.

I beleive it would be easy to nerf on the server, but next to impossible to protect the PBeM games.

I am sure as with many other PBeM games opening the data and screwing with it is not that hard for a computer nerd.

I like MT would like to see much tighter security over all when witw comes out.

Yes, I played with some very bad poeple back in my MMO days.

As can be seen by my posts I am not overly smart and generally learn from other poeple. So no I am not a computer nerd.

I could be 100% wrong about this, but I like MT would like to know for sure about both issues.

GHC
22 - 4 - 8

15 games ended in 41 (15-0-0)
7 games ended in 42 (5-0-2)
8 games ended in 43 (2-3-3)
4 games ended in 44 (0-1-3)

General Cheesefinder of WitW

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8DiSQ36zfWk

(in reply to Michael T)
Post #: 3
RE: A cheat method? - 10/30/2012 2:09:23 AM   
Pelton

if I was a nerd I be 21-0 and not 15-3-3 , plus the current MT game hehehe

GHC
22 - 4 - 8

(in reply to Pelton)
Post #: 4
RE: A cheat method? - 10/30/2012 2:23:43 AM   
Bletchley_Geek

You could have two copies of WitE sitting in your computer: one patched up to 1.06.06 and another patched up to 1.06.19. You could even keep both open at the same time, to minimize the "drudgery" of firing each copy in turn.

(in reply to Pelton)
Post #: 5
RE: A cheat method? - 10/30/2012 2:29:10 AM   
Pelton

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bletchley_Geek

You could have two copies of WitE sitting in your computer: one patched up to 1.06.06 and another patched up to 1.06.19. You could even keep both open at the same time, to minimize the "drudgery" of firing each copy in turn.

Never thought of that one, you are kinda lazy. PBeM only or on server?

< Message edited by Pelton -- 10/30/2012 2:31:15 AM >

GHC
22 - 4 - 8

(in reply to Bletchley_Geek)
Post #: 6
RE: A cheat method? - 10/30/2012 2:30:55 AM   
Helpless

Technically it is possible to load the same save using various exe. In some cases it may damage the game down to unplayable state though.

There were several extra protection features added to the WITW, which I hope to port back to WITE with some major update.

Unfortunately, there is no way to make it totally cheat free unless game execution is moved completely from client to the server (which also doesn't guarantee 100% of cheat protection, just makes it much more "expensive"). So trust is no the last thing to consider playing other human.

Pavel Zagzin
WITE/WITW Development

(in reply to Pelton)
Post #: 7
RE: A cheat method? - 10/30/2012 2:38:02 AM   
Pelton

If its that hard then no one in this gaming community is that hard up to win.

Its not like anyone is poor and needs to farm exploit ect ect to make a living selling items for real money playing WoW and other MMO's.

I don't see anyway for anyone to make any money playing this game so hard core peeps have better things to do with there time.

GHC
22 - 4 - 8

(in reply to Helpless)
Post #: 8
RE: A cheat method? - 10/30/2012 2:39:06 AM   
Pelton

quote:

ORIGINAL: Helpless

Technically it is possible to load the same save using various exe. In some cases it may damage the game down to unplayable state though.

There were several extra protection features added to the WITW, which I hope to port back to WITE with some major update.

Unfortunately, there is no way to make it totally cheat free unless game execution is moved completely from client to the server (which also doesn't guarantee 100% of cheat protection, just makes it much more "expensive"). So trust is no the last thing to consider playing other human.

Sounds like the fix you speak of is more then enough to close any loop holes.

The sooner the better its patched in.

GHC
22 - 4 - 8

(in reply to Helpless)
Post #: 9
RE: A cheat method? - 10/30/2012 3:21:01 AM   
Bletchley_Geek

quote:

ORIGINAL: Pelton

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bletchley_Geek

Never thought of that one, you are kinda lazy. PBeM only or on server?

Either case, that should work. But as Helpless says, it might cause crashes. I discovered once that my opponent was using a different version than I did when I checked a combat report and the game crashed. In this case, my opponent had just missed the big update where we got the more detailed combat results :)

(in reply to Pelton)
Post #: 10
RE: A cheat method? - 10/30/2012 3:23:37 AM   
Bletchley_Geek

quote:

ORIGINAL: Helpless

That's the bottom line, indeed.

(in reply to Helpless)
Post #: 11
RE: A cheat method? - 10/30/2012 10:10:04 AM   
janh

Given the version number is already in the save file, why not have a check like WitP-AE that only allows opening files with an .exe version >= save version? I never tried with AE, but I think there is no going back once a save was opened with a new exe. Should be possible with WitE as well as long as both use the same version, no?

(in reply to Helpless)
Post #: 12
RE: A cheat method? - 10/30/2012 10:23:41 AM   
76mm

Hard to believe that anyone would go to these lengths to cheat, but I guess you never know...

(in reply to janh)
Post #: 13
RE: A cheat method? - 10/30/2012 4:02:48 PM   
Pelton

quote:

ORIGINAL: 76mm

Hard to believe that anyone would go to these lengths to cheat, but I guess you never know...

Like I said the only poeple that would go to those lengths once Hapless installs the new safeguards are poeple that play games for a living.

This game is not an internet cash cow like WoW and the larger MMO's.

GHC
22 - 4 - 8

(in reply to 76mm)
Post #: 14
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> A cheat method? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI