Matrix Games Forums

New screenshots for War in the West!Pike & Shot is now available!Server Maintenance Battle Academy 2 gets updated!Deal of the Week: Advanced Tactics Gold Ask Buzz Aldrin!Pike & Shot gets Release Date and Twitch Session!Deal of the Week Espana 1936War in the West coming in December!Space Program Manager will be launching on Steam
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: OT...Here comes 'Frankenstorm'Iq

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: OT...Here comes 'Frankenstorm'Iq Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: OT...Here comes 'Frankenstorm'Iq - 11/1/2012 9:52:23 PM   
Chickenboy

What a monster this one was-in 1938. Can you imagine the relative damage such a powerful storm would do with the population density there now?:

September 21, 1938 — The New England Hurricane of 1938 (Also Called "The Long Island Express") makes landfall on Suffolk County (Long Island) as a category 3 hurricane on the Saffir-Simpson hurricane scale.[21] Wind gusts of 125 mph (200 km/h) and storm surge of 18 feet (5 m) washes across part of the island.[22] In New York 60 deaths and hundreds of injuries were attributed to the storm.[23] In addition, 2,600 boats and 8,900 houses are destroyed.[24] Throughout New England the hurricane killed over 682 people,[25] damaged or destroyed over 57,000 homes, and caused property losses estimated at $4.7 billion (2005 US dollars).[26]

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 61
RE: OT...Here comes 'Frankenstorm'Iq - 11/1/2012 9:52:29 PM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lecivius

quote:

ORIGINAL: witpqs

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sredni

What I find sad about things like this is that nothing will change. A storm like this won't happen again for 50 years or a 100 years and in that time people will go back to ignoring the possibility of it happening at all. Then another "frankenstorm" will roll up and cause another 50 billion dollars (or however much that will inflate to) worth of damage with absolutely nobody prepared for it.

There have been 3 'Hundred Year events' in the last year in this area alone. Andrew Cumo has said that anyone that denies Global Warming now is either blind or ignorant. The Atlantic is 5 degrees fahrenheit warmer than it was last year at this time. The death toll according to AP is 60 and rising, the cost is over 50 billion in damage And bear in mind most of these people do not have flood insurance. Those homes destroyed by fire in Queens were the lucky ones, they are covered by home owners insurance. The guy across the street with water stains on the second floor is just SOL.

First of all, such as what?

Most importantly, the fact that things happened a hundred or two hundred years ago does not mean mean that this time it's our fault. The GW theory has some very specific projections that simply are not happening. One such is that the increased CO2 (which alone can not cause much warming) causes increased moisture in certain layers of the atmosphere, and that in turn causes the runaway warming. The increased moisture in those layers of the atmosphere simply has not happened.

the pronouncements of politicians really has no place here.

I believe I read when I posted this Irene, Sandy, and 1 other. Sorry, I don't copy every news article I come across. I found another reference, I will go with the local govenor as I live in Denver.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/11/01/seven-and-a-half-things-you-need-to-know_n_2055312.html

Thing One: Another Year, Another Hundred-Year Storm: "I'm never gonna use the phrase hundred-year storm again," New Jersey Governor Chris Christie said in a press conference yesterday, "because we've had three of those, three hundred-year storms, in the past three years."

Your ideas on GW only account for 1 view. I'll not get into an argument here over such simplistic thinking.

As for the pronouncement of politicians, sticking your head in the sand does nothing either.
warspite1

I shouldn't say anything but what the hell, the phrases above are like a red rag to a bull I'm afraid:

1. The phrase 100-year event DOES NOT mean we get one every 100 years like clockwork. Mother nature does not work that way.

2. Simplistic? If GW is all to do with human beings and what we are doing to the planet then tell me this. Why has the earth had so many ice ages? Why so many shifts in temperature? Why haven't the two poles always been covered with ice? One small example - look at the UK in medieval times - it was like Greece is now... Is that because of all the greenhouse gases they were pumping into the atmosphere back then?

3. Why, on the news, do so many events start with: "the worst [storm/hurricane/flood] for [50/60/70] years. How can that be? You are saying that all these recent events are all the worst EVER.

I will tell you what is simplistic. The thought that we humans somehow have a decisive say on what happens on this planet of ours. Well we don't, we are mere pawns of mother nature. To think otherwise is just hubris.

England expects that every man will do his duty - Horatio Nelson 1805.

(in reply to Lecivius)
Post #: 62
RE: OT...Here comes 'Frankenstorm'Iq - 11/1/2012 9:52:57 PM   
witpqs

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: witpqs

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sredni

What I find sad about things like this is that nothing will change. A storm like this won't happen again for 50 years or a 100 years and in that time people will go back to ignoring the possibility of it happening at all. Then another "frankenstorm" will roll up and cause another 50 billion dollars (or however much that will inflate to) worth of damage with absolutely nobody prepared for it.

There have been 3 'Hundred Year events' in the last year in this area alone. Andrew Cumo has said that anyone that denies Global Warming now is either blind or ignorant. The Atlantic is 5 degrees fahrenheit warmer than it was last year at this time. The death toll according to AP is 60 and rising, the cost is over 50 billion in damage And bear in mind most of these people do not have flood insurance. Those homes destroyed by fire in Queens were the lucky ones, they are covered by home owners insurance. The guy across the street with water stains on the second floor is just SOL.

First of all, such as what?

Most importantly, the fact that things happened a hundred or two hundred years ago does not mean mean that this time it's our fault. The GW theory has some very specific projections that simply are not happening. One such is that the increased CO2 (which alone can not cause much warming) causes increased moisture in certain layers of the atmosphere, and that in turn causes the runaway warming. The increased moisture in those layers of the atmosphere simply has not happened.

the pronouncements of politicians really has no place here.

I believe I read when I posted this Irene, Sandy, and 1 other. Sorry, I don't copy every news article I come across. I found another reference, I will go with the local govenor as I live in Denver.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/11/01/seven-and-a-half-things-you-need-to-know_n_2055312.html

Thing One: Another Year, Another Hundred-Year Storm: "I'm never gonna use the phrase hundred-year storm again," New Jersey Governor Chris Christie said in a press conference yesterday, "because we've had three of those, three hundred-year storms, in the past three years."

Your ideas on GW only account for 1 view. I'll not get into an argument here over such simplistic thinking.

As for the pronouncement of politicians, sticking your head in the sand does nothing either.

Your insult about "simplistic thinking" is both unbecoming and wrong. The climate models which are used as the basis of the IPCC's claims are themselves based on the very foundation that I mentioned. It is not merely "1 view", it is the 'official' view of the IPCC. I have heard other views that are more along the lines of 'it's just happening!', but I don't take those seriously.

Intel Monkey: https://sites.google.com/site/staffmonkeys/

(in reply to Lecivius)
Post #: 63
RE: OT...Here comes 'Frankenstorm'Iq - 11/1/2012 9:59:07 PM   
Canoerebel

Back in the early '90s, we had a series of very wet years here in northwest Georgia. We were getting 50- and 100-year rain and flood events multiple times a year. Everybody thought the climate had gone nuts and we were done for. We haven't had a 50- or 100-year event since then. In fact, it's been extraodinarily dry for the past 10 to 15 years. Now everybody thinks the end is coming. Nature is, by its nature, cyclical.

Edited: To omit final sentence, which was too political in nature to pass the "smell test."

< Message edited by Canoerebel -- 11/1/2012 10:50:35 PM >

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 64
RE: OT...Here comes 'Frankenstorm'Iq - 11/1/2012 10:02:25 PM   
MineSweeper

Went through Kitty Hawk, NC today.....pretty bad...I am sure that it is not as bad as what happened up north....
This is Highway 12 (Beach Road) in Kitty Hawk

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by MineSweeper -- 11/1/2012 10:05:18 PM >

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 65
RE: OT...Here comes 'Frankenstorm'Iq - 11/1/2012 10:04:58 PM   
Chickenboy

On the positive side, I've been very impressed with some of the Hurricane tracking models used lately. Very accurate. I couldn't believe that Sandy would take that terminal left hook (almost 90 degrees) that the forecasters suggested in their models, yet turn she did-right where they said she would.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 66
RE: OT...Here comes 'Frankenstorm'Iq - 11/1/2012 10:07:27 PM   
Canoerebel

From what I've read in the newspaper this morning, that "left hook" forecast came from the European model (based somewhere in Great Britain, I think). The US models didn't get that right.

That was pretty stunning. Look back at SuluSea's first map from last week - that was three or four days ahead of landfall, and that's pretty much dead on target.

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 67
RE: OT...Here comes 'Frankenstorm'Iq - 11/1/2012 10:11:00 PM   
Canoerebel

Edit: I just looked at Sulu's map and it wasn't "three or four days out." But the maps three or four (and even five) days out were right on target - showing landfall in southern New Jersey. I mean, they were right on target. That's incredible. There was a hurricane early this season that hit the Gulf Coast - the one that came right during the Republican convention in Tampa in August. The forecasters had trouble with that one, continually shifting it west. At first it was to glance by Tampa heading due north, but it ended up several hundred miles west, coming ashore at New Orleans.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 68
RE: OT...Here comes 'Frankenstorm'Iq - 11/1/2012 10:20:38 PM   
Lecivius

Sorry witpqs, we will have to agree to disagree. While your model takes in the atmospheric anomalies, it does not include thermo dynamics and it’s impact on thermohaline circulation. Your model is valid, but incomplete.

IMO

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 69
RE: OT...Here comes 'Frankenstorm'Iq - 11/1/2012 11:14:47 PM   
US87891

@ witpqs
@ Conoerebel
Some thoughts from a friend.
quote:

Off-shore ocean racing sailors have been using bathymetric data, taken by NOAA and BODC for over 16 years, for use in their own weather forecasting algorithms. The surface temperature of the central Atlantic mass has not changed. The surface temperature of the Gulf Stream varies by +/- 2 degrees, on average, in any given year, depending on the specific heat content of the Gulf of Mexico, and the position of the upwelling center of the Atlantic mass. Average Gulf Stream temp hasn’t changed in approx. 130 years.

Recent newsworthy tropical lows have been less organized. The barometrics aren’t as bad as hard ‘cane, but they extend over a wider area. This gives more fetch and more surface pressure release, resulting in higher sea levels (i.e., a greater surge at the land interface). A true Cat-big Hurricane would very likely result in the same, or even lower surge levels because of its area concentration. Storm surge results from volumetric math; the area of a low times the mass released by the pressure delta at sea level. Area is radius “squared”. Delta pressure is “linear”. Cat 1/TS Sandy had a peak surge of 15 feet which was the same as the Cat 4 that destroyed Galveston in1900.

The present weather patterns are very similar to those of 1921 and 22 and even closer to the period of the great New England flood of 1927.

quote:

I'm not surprised the ECM Model had a better forecast. They look more at higher latitudes and later seasons, because that's what drives Euro weather. Sandy was at the bottom of their latitude look and at the beginning of their trendings but they saw the Canada Low 'cause that's what they look for. Sandy was at the top of our latitude look and the end of our tropical low trendings, and we just didn't think to pull down that Northern Low./quote]

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 70
RE: OT...Here comes 'Frankenstorm'Iq - 11/2/2012 12:17:15 AM   
bradfordkay

quote:

ORIGINAL: Canoerebel

Edit: I just looked at Sulu's map and it wasn't "three or four days out." But the maps three or four (and even five) days out were right on target - showing landfall in southern New Jersey. I mean, they were right on target. That's incredible. There was a hurricane early this season that hit the Gulf Coast - the one that came right during the Republican convention in Tampa in August. The forecasters had trouble with that one, continually shifting it west. At first it was to glance by Tampa heading due north, but it ended up several hundred miles west, coming ashore at New Orleans.

The storm forecasters weren't expecting such high air pressure over Tampa at that time... the localized high pressure system forced the hurrican to bear west...

fair winds,
Brad

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 71
RE: OT...Here comes 'Frankenstorm'Iq - 11/2/2012 1:25:40 AM   
witpqs

quote:

Sorry witpqs, we will have to agree to disagree. While your model takes in the atmospheric anomalies, it does not include thermo dynamics and it’s impact on thermohaline circulation. Your model is valid, but incomplete.

IMO

Of course we will.

It's not my model, it's the claim of the IPCC, which is the official organ of those promoting the Global Warming hypothesis.

And as far as the thermodynamics, that is the whole point and is certainly included. The absorption of IR by CO2 and by water vapor in the atmosphere, etc.

And the effects on the Atlantic Conveyor, which is what I take it you are referring to, is supposedly possible from a sudden and massive rush of fresh water into the North Atlantic, upsetting the density gradients that cause the waters of the Gulf Stream to sink once they cool (and start the return trip to the tropics as the Atlantic Conveyor). That was based on the notion that there is very little mixing aside from those strong currents, which has been found to be untrue. In any event the sudden, massive onrush of fresh water into the North Atlantic is supposed to occur when all the glaciers suddenly melt... which is not happening.

(in reply to Lecivius)
Post #: 72
RE: OT...Here comes 'Frankenstorm'Iq - 11/2/2012 4:21:48 AM   
floydg

Just got my power back this afternoon. What a mess...

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 73
RE: OT...Here comes 'Frankenstorm'Iq - 11/2/2012 5:01:45 AM   
witpqs

quote:

ORIGINAL: floydg

Just got my power back this afternoon. What a mess...

Hope it gets cleaned up quick, Bro. Good luck.

(in reply to floydg)
Post #: 74
RE: OT...Here comes 'Frankenstorm'Iq - 11/2/2012 5:49:36 AM   
JeffK

has anyone ever worked out they built the USA in the wrong place, what natural disasters dont you get!!

Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 75
RE: OT...Here comes 'Frankenstorm'Iq - 11/2/2012 9:14:24 AM   
obvert

Plagues of locust?

"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill

(in reply to JeffK)
Post #: 76
RE: OT...Here comes 'Frankenstorm'Iq - 11/2/2012 2:18:22 PM   
Canoerebel

We do get plagues of locusts. For any of you who have never been to the southeast USA coast in March and April, I encourage you to stay away from the barrier islands and salt marsh areas. The sand gnats aka "no-see-ums" are the most horrendous things of all time. I got stuck on Cumberland Island, Georgia, in late March of 1983, and those things ate me alive. I had to wait hours for the ferry, all the while being feasted on by clouds (no exaggeration - clouds) of those tormentors. Ouch.

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 77
RE: OT...Here comes 'Frankenstorm'Iq - 11/2/2012 4:50:31 PM   
bradfordkay

There's also the story of the early years of the mormons in Utah. They were plagued by locusts but saved by seagulls. How much of it is true I cannot say...

fair winds,
Brad

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 78
RE: OT...Here comes 'Frankenstorm'Iq - 11/2/2012 4:52:32 PM   
bradfordkay

quote:

We do get plagues of locusts. For any of you who have never been to the southeast USA coast in March and April, I encourage you to stay away from the barrier islands and salt marsh areas. The sand gnats aka "no-see-ums" are the most horrendous things of all time. I got stuck on Cumberland Island, Georgia, in late March of 1983, and those things ate me alive. I had to wait hours for the ferry, all the while being feasted on by clouds (no exaggeration - clouds) of those tormentors. Ouch.

Dan, the sailors of the southeast swear by Avon's "Skin So Soft" lotion - they say that it is the best no-see-um deterrent ever made (at least they were saying that back in the eighties, which was the last time I sailed the Golden Coast. It worked for me...

fair winds,
Brad

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 79
RE: OT...Here comes 'Frankenstorm'Iq - 11/2/2012 5:29:54 PM   
JohnDillworth

I think the argument with global warming is whether it is caused by man or not. Fact of the matter is the Earth is getting warmer, fast. Remember the North West passage we read about in school? The one where all the explorers died because there was no North West passage, it was closed by ice. that is not longer true. The mythical passage is now open. Perhaps warming doesn't directly correspond to always warmer temperatures. 2 years ago I had 3 snow storms each dumping 3 feet of snow. I have only seen one of those in my life time. That was followed by a summer with 38+ days over 90 degrees. This is outside NYC! I'm 4 days plus without power now due to yet another 100 year storm. Hey, if you don't believe me let the satellite photos speak for themselves: http://www.nasa.gov/topics/earth/features/greenland-melt.html. You can't explain this as just a seasonal fluctuation. Man made or not I will not say, but global warming is real, and it's here. Lots of folks in this forum are close to the environment and enjoy the outdoors. I know I do. I see whats happening. Maybe I'm just cranky because I have no power and haven't had a hot meal in a few days. Did manage to get to work at bit (I work on New Yorks 911 system, we did great)to recharge some devices but it's bad here. Gasoline is running out and civilized behavior is starting to fray around the edges. Time to go home, start a fire, pour a glass of wine, turn some music on the radio and be thankful for large paper books. Cahndlers "Campaigns of Napoleon" should keep me busy until the snow cames. http://www.amazon.com/The-Campaigns-Napoleon-David-Chandler/dp/0025236601

The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it’s still on the list.

(in reply to bradfordkay)
Post #: 80
RE: OT...Here comes 'Frankenstorm'Iq - 11/2/2012 5:49:51 PM   
Canoerebel

Nature and weather are hugely, wildly cyclical. The earth gets warmer. The earth gets colder. There are flooding rains. There are tremendous droughts. Hurrianes come in waves. Hurricanes disappear for decades (Miami, Florida, didn't see a major hurricane from the mid 1960s until Andrew in 1992). Weird things happen.

One hundred years ago, people were growing citrus fruit on the Gulf Coast of Mississippi and Alabama (if you doubt me, see the reports of damage caused by 1969's Hurricane Camille, which hit the lingering remnants of these groves). Then, for thirty years from the '60s through the '90s, the American southeast was unusually cold. Now it's mostly unusually warm.

Anybody who doubts that nature is cyclical would be foolish, but I remain very skeptical of efforts to pin this on mankind. We are a wasteful, polluting, earth-moving bunch of hooligans, but the massive power of nature mocks our puny little effortst to influence something as awesomely powerful as weather.

It's really amazing that many manmade climate change scientists and politicans have moved beyond the "theory" stage to the "fact" stage and want to tar and feather anybody who disputes, questions, or doubts the theory. It's become a cult.

< Message edited by Canoerebel -- 11/2/2012 5:51:00 PM >

(in reply to JohnDillworth)
Post #: 81
RE: OT...Here comes 'Frankenstorm'Iq - 11/2/2012 6:44:16 PM   
witpqs

A few weeks ago, Antarctic sea ice set a record for greatest since records have been kept. Such news not being consistent with the Global Warming meme it was not a favored story. Polar sea ice has been seen to oscillate between the poles, with sea ice around one pole shrinking as the other grows in decades long cycles.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 82
RE: OT...Here comes 'Frankenstorm'Iq - 11/2/2012 7:14:25 PM   
witpqs

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

1954-1964 were interesting times for New Yorkers vis a vis Hurricanes:

1954 — Hurricane Hazel - wind gust of 113 mph at Battery Park, highest ever recorded in New York City.

August 31, 1954 — Hurricane Carol makes landfall on Long Island and produces wind gusts of 120 miles per hour (190 km/h) on Montauk Point.[3] On eastern Long Island near where Carol made landfall, a pressure of 960 mbar is recorded.[28] Winds on the island gust to 120 mph (195 km/h). The hurricane's storm surge covers the Montauk Highway in Montauk, effectively isolating eastern Long Island for a period of time. Due to the compact nature of the storm, most of Long Island is largely unaffected by the hurricane.[28] Specific damage totals for New York are unknown, although the storm in its entirety causes $460 million (1954 USD) in damage.[28]

September 10, 1954 — Hurricane Edna tracks to the east of Long Island producing 9 inches (230 mm) of rain.[3] Prior to the storm, New York City orders an emergency standby for the majority of its hospitals, and subways.[29]

August 13, 1955 — Hurricane Connie produces 13.24 inches (370 mm) of rain in Southeast New York, although damage is unknown.[30]

September 28, 1956 — Hurricane Flossy tracks to the south of Long Island, brushing it with light rainfall.[31]

October 1, 1959 — The remnants of Hurricane Gracie track into Central New York and drops up to 6 inches (150 mm) of rain.[32]

September 11, 1960 — Hurricane Donna makes landfall on Long Island as a Category 2 hurricane. Sustained winds of 100 mph (160 km/h) on eastern Long Island and 70 mph (110 km/h) winds on western Long Island are reported, and tides are 6 feet (2 m) above normal along most of the coast. Strong waves also cause beach erosion and several homes along the shore to be destroyed. Due to well-executed warnings, damages are extremely low, and it is reported that no deaths result from the storm.[33]

September 21, 1961 — Hurricane Esther causes $3 million (1961 USD, $20 million 2007 USD) in damage in Suffolk County as it tracks to the east of Long Island. Coastal areas of Long Island were flooded, as well as storm surge and wind gusts of 108 mph (173 km/h), which causes 260,000 homes to be left without power.[34]

October 8, 1962 — Hurricane Daisy tracks east of New England, producing light rainfall in extreme eastern portions of Upstate New York.[35]

September 23, 1964 — Beach erosion and moderate wind gusts are reported on Long Island as Hurricane Gladys tracks a couple hundred miles south of New York.[36]

Here's some stuff that goes back further. "Before Al Gore invented Global Warming."

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 83
RE: OT...Here comes 'Frankenstorm'Iq - 11/2/2012 7:17:36 PM   
warspite1

This is the sort of %^&* that makes people doubt the Global Warming circus. If man made Co2 is the reason for global warming, why the need to lie, and cheat about it??

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-14969399

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 84
RE: OT...Here comes 'Frankenstorm'Iq - 11/2/2012 7:40:12 PM   
obvert

quote:

Nature and weather are hugely, wildly cyclical. The earth gets warmer. The earth gets colder. There are flooding rains. There are tremendous droughts. Hurrianes come in waves. Hurricanes disappear for decades (Miami, Florida, didn't see a major hurricane from the mid 1960s until Andrew in 1992). Weird things happen.

One hundred years ago, people were growing citrus fruit on the Gulf Coast of Mississippi and Alabama (if you doubt me, see the reports of damage caused by 1969's Hurricane Camille, which hit the lingering remnants of these groves). Then, for thirty years from the '60s through the '90s, the American southeast was unusually cold. Now it's mostly unusually warm.

Anybody who doubts that nature is cyclical would be foolish, but I remain very skeptical of efforts to pin this on mankind. We are a wasteful, polluting, earth-moving bunch of hooligans, but the massive power of nature mocks our puny little effortst to influence something as awesomely powerful as weather.

It's really amazing that many manmade climate change scientists and politicans have moved beyond the "theory" stage to the "fact" stage and want to tar and feather anybody who disputes, questions, or doubts the theory. It's become a cult.

People who really have looked into this and believe it's happening also believe that if we don't do something to change our behavior, the planet will not be the same for our children as it was for us. That is a serious concern for me. It is serious enough to do my own bit of searching, even if I was a sceptic. Hopefully scientists still use the term 'theory' because all of science is really still theoretical. Even plate tectonics is still a theory, though most of us accept it now as true even though it is a very recent idea.

There is a not a lot of dispute in the worldwide scientific community that nature is cyclical or that this current situation is outside known cyclical boundaries. The overwhelming majority of people who spend their lives studying this stuff believe global warming is happening and that it is at least assisted by the burning of fossil fuels. I'm no expert, but this TED talk is a very good illustration of what is happening to glacial areas of the world and shows at least briefly that while the fluctuations of the past were great, the levels of CO2 in the atmosphere currently are far outside any recorded, by a factor of almost a 1/3.

Before humans started taking oil out of the ground it didn't burn and send smoke into the atmosphere. The current spike in CO2 levels happens to coincide with the industrial revolution. But by no means am I an expert. Don't believe me, and please don't take offense. I'm only passing on the source. Have a look for yourself. If for nothing else, it has amazing time-lapse photography of receding and calving glaciers. All this shows visually is the proof of dramatic ice loss, but the research and the website for the organization has more data pointing to how this is related to human activity if you're interested.

http://www.ted.com/talks/james_balog_time_lapse_proof_of_extreme_ice_loss.html

http://extremeicesurvey.org/

"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 85
RE: OT...Here comes 'Frankenstorm'Iq - 11/2/2012 8:22:02 PM   
witpqs

quote:

ORIGINAL: obvert

quote:

People who really have looked into this and believe it's happening also believe that if we don't do something to change our behavior, the planet will not be the same for our children as it was for us. That is a serious concern for me. It is serious enough to do my own bit of searching, even if I was a sceptic. Hopefully scientists still use the term 'theory' because all of science is really still theoretical. Even plate tectonics is still a theory, though most of us accept it now as true even though it is a very recent idea.

There is a not a lot of dispute in the worldwide scientific community that nature is cyclical or that this current situation is outside known cyclical boundaries. The overwhelming majority of people who spend their lives studying this stuff believe global warming is happening and that it is at least assisted by the burning of fossil fuels. I'm no expert, but this TED talk is a very good illustration of what is happening to glacial areas of the world and shows at least briefly that while the fluctuations of the past were great, the levels of CO2 in the atmosphere currently are far outside any recorded, by a factor of almost a 1/3.

Before humans started taking oil out of the ground it didn't burn and send smoke into the atmosphere. The current spike in CO2 levels happens to coincide with the industrial revolution. But by no means am I an expert. Don't believe me, and please don't take offense. I'm only passing on the source. Have a look for yourself. If for nothing else, it has amazing time-lapse photography of receding and calving glaciers. All this shows visually is the proof of dramatic ice loss, but the research and the website for the organization has more data pointing to how this is related to human activity if you're interested.

http://www.ted.com/talks/james_balog_time_lapse_proof_of_extreme_ice_loss.html

http://extremeicesurvey.org/

Those statements are false.

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 86
RE: OT...Here comes 'Frankenstorm'Iq - 11/2/2012 8:37:35 PM   
obvert

In anticipation of a quick response without supporting data I did a 20 second search and found this article from Forbes. (I'm sure much more data is out there). It has a poll of scientists.

As with all polls, the answers you get depend on the questions you ask. We found that almost all climate scientists believe that the world has been warming: 97% agree that "global average temperatures have increased" during the past century. But not everyone attributes that rise to human activity. A slight majority (52%) believe this warming was human-induced, 30% see it as the result of natural temperature fluctuations and the rest are unsure.

When it comes to current conditions, however, the consensus in favor of human warming reemerges: 84% believe "human-induced greenhouse warming" is now occurring, compared with only 5% who reject this conclusion. And 74% say the "currently available scientific evidence substantiates" its occurrence, while only 9% disagree. So global warming doubters are a genuinely small minority among American climate scientists;

It also states that scientists are naturally much less likely to make bold predictions than how the media portray them. Most say it's very difficult to 'predict' what the future will be like, but if 84% believe that humans are causing at least some of this now, isn't it worth looking into?

I find this section very telling. Danger is danger, no matter what the degree.

To get a more general sense of how climate experts feel about the risks of global warming, we asked them to rate the likely effects of climate change during the next 50 to 100 years along a spectrum ranging from "trivial" to "catastrophic." The result was widespread concern, along with considerable debate over how great that concern should be.

Only 13% saw relatively little danger (ratings of 1 to 3 on a 10-point scale); the rest were about evenly split between the 44% who see moderate to high danger (ratings of 4 to 7) and 41% who see very high or grave danger (ratings of 8 to 10). It is also notable that only 1% answered "don't know" to this question, a reminder that many scientists respond more cautiously about making specific scientific projections than about giving their personal opinions, a distinction that is sometimes lost on politicians.

http://www.forbes.com/2009/12/19/climategate-copenhagen-science-opinions-contributors-s-robert-lichter.html

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 87
RE: OT...Here comes 'Frankenstorm'Iq - 11/2/2012 8:54:48 PM   
warspite1

quote:

In anticipation of a quick response without supporting data I did a 20 second search and found this article from Forbes. (I'm sure much more data is out there). It has a poll of scientists.

As with all polls, the answers you get depend on the questions you ask. We found that almost all climate scientists believe that the world has been warming: 97% agree that "global average temperatures have increased" during the past century. But not everyone attributes that rise to human activity. A slight majority (52%) believe this warming was human-induced, 30% see it as the result of natural temperature fluctuations and the rest are unsure.

When it comes to current conditions, however, the consensus in favor of human warming reemerges: 84% believe "human-induced greenhouse warming" is now occurring, compared with only 5% who reject this conclusion. And 74% say the "currently available scientific evidence substantiates" its occurrence, while only 9% disagree. So global warming doubters are a genuinely small minority among American climate scientists;

It also states that scientists are naturally much less likely to make bold predictions than how the media portray them. Most say it's very difficult to 'predict' what the future will be like, but if 84% believe that humans are causing at least some of this now, isn't it worth looking into?

I find this section very telling. Danger is danger, no matter what the degree.

To get a more general sense of how climate experts feel about the risks of global warming, we asked them to rate the likely effects of climate change during the next 50 to 100 years along a spectrum ranging from "trivial" to "catastrophic." The result was widespread concern, along with considerable debate over how great that concern should be.

Only 13% saw relatively little danger (ratings of 1 to 3 on a 10-point scale); the rest were about evenly split between the 44% who see moderate to high danger (ratings of 4 to 7) and 41% who see very high or grave danger (ratings of 8 to 10). It is also notable that only 1% answered "don't know" to this question, a reminder that many scientists respond more cautiously about making specific scientific projections than about giving their personal opinions, a distinction that is sometimes lost on politicians.

http://www.forbes.com/2009/12/19/climategate-copenhagen-science-opinions-contributors-s-robert-lichter.html

warspite1

Really? And which ones did they ask? And who were they employed by? Lies, damned lies and statistics. And the Global Warming Circus have repeatedly been found to be lying and telling half truths and what not.

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 88
RE: OT...Here comes 'Frankenstorm'Iq - 11/2/2012 9:03:12 PM   
obvert

Read the article. It tells you all you want to know, and raises exactly the same concerns you have, but with some semblance of method.

The issue is huge and complex. The outcome will be a mystery until we all find out sooner or later through experience what actually is happening.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 89
RE: OT...Here comes 'Frankenstorm'Iq - 11/2/2012 9:19:00 PM   
warspite1

quote:

The issue is huge and complex.

warspite1

Well that's true enough.

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 90
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: OT...Here comes 'Frankenstorm'Iq Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI