Optimized designs

Please post here for questions and discussion about scenario, art and sound modding and the game editor for Distant Worlds.

Moderators: Icemania, elliotg

Shark7

Optimized designs

Post by Shark7 »

I must not understand this (actually I don't) cause I have yet to figure out exactly what I need to do to get optimized designs into the game and used. Now I've looked through the modding guide and searched the forums and haven't found out what I need to know which is...

Exactly how do I go about getting optimized designs in game?

Surely there is a how to out there and my search just missed it.

I'd really like to help out the AI in the ship design are to give it a difficulty boost.
Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'
Bingeling

RE: Optimized designs

Post by Bingeling »

Look at the heading "Pre-loaded Optimized Designs " in the latest patch notes.
http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3168715
Shark7

Post by Shark7 »

Thanks Bingeling, I knew I had seen it somewhere, but couldn't remember exactly where.

Now a few more questions for those that have used the optimized designs feature:

1. Is it better to make a file with all the designs, or to save each design singly?

2. Do you design for every tech level or would it be better to design for every other tech level? (Seems simple enough to do really, just restart the game with tech at starting, tech level 1, etc etc until you get them all done). I'm just wondering if it is worth it to make that many designs.

3. Does the AI upgrade optimized designs as new tech becomes available?
Distant Worlds Fan

tjhkkr

Post by tjhkkr »

ORIGINAL: Shark7
Thanks Bingeling, I knew I had seen it somewhere, but couldn't remember exactly where.
Now a few more questions for those that have used the optimized designs feature:

1. Is it better to make a file with all the designs, or to save each design singly?
2. Do you design for every tech level or would it be better to design for every other tech level? (Seems simple enough to do really, just restart the game with tech at starting, tech level 1, etc etc until you get them all done). I'm just wondering if it is worth it to make that many designs.
3. Does the AI upgrade optimized designs as new tech becomes available?

I have only a couple of files.
I have one for the very beginning. I have one for when my ship size finally reaches 400. And then I have one for later.
Mine seems to be able to be upgraded by the automatic...
The only problem is that if you are running borderline in size, sometimes the auto will upgrade past your current limit. My AWACs ship has that problem alot. I will be at 298 or so, and the next upgrade sends the size to 302 and unusuable without modification.
Remember that the evil which is now in the world will become yet more powerful, and that it is not evil which conquers evil, but only love -- Olga Romanov.
Shark7

Post by Shark7 »

Sounds like a plan. And I am thinking I really only need to redesign the military ships and maybe a few of the bases (defense, mining, research). No point in doing the civvies really, they can't be much different from what they are.
Distant Worlds Fan

Return to “Design and Modding”