Matrix Games Forums

To End All Wars: Mountain InfantryPandora: Eclipse of Nashira Announced! Deal of the Week: Command Ops goes half price!New Fronts are opening up for Commander: The Great WarCharacters of World War 1Sign of for the Pike and Shot Beta!More Games are Coming to Steam! Return to the Moon on October 31st! Commander: The Great War iPad Wallpapers Generals of the Great War
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Bleeding the beast to death and the AP crunch explained.

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> The War Room >> RE: Bleeding the beast to death and the AP crunch explained. Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Bleeding the beast to death and the AP crunch expla... - 10/29/2012 10:49:31 PM   
carlkay58

According to some of my earlier tests done in version 6.06 or thereabouts: Depleted units do not have ZOCs, are not allowed to enter enemy territory/ZOCs, and are pretty much destroyed when an enemy unit moves adjacent. Broken units do not have ZOCs, are not allowed to enter enemy territory/ZOCs, may not use special movement (naval/air/rail), and are routed when an enemy unit moves adjacent. *Unready units do have ZOCs, are not allowed to move into enemy territory/ZOCs, and are routed when an enemy unit moves adjacent.

Note that each time an enemy unit moves adjacent to one of the above unit types, it has a victory check done. It is quite possible to rack up a few victories each turn chasing down broken/HQ/AirBase units. Note also that none of the above required any additional expenditure of MPs other than the ZOC for the *Unready units. So all that a blanket of empty shell units do is cost the Soviets the AP cost of creating the unit and freebie morale boosts for the Axis. Not a winning tactic for the Soviets in my humble opinion.

On the other hand, air recon will report them as units (rarely past a detection level of 1 or 2) so they can be best used in the Soviet Rear to seem as if a major buildup is happening in the area. Just hope that the Axis does not do a Panzer thrust into the group and watch them all disappear! This is one of Pelton's points above about the FOW effects.

(in reply to 76mm)
Post #: 31
RE: Bleeding the beast to death and the AP crunch expla... - 10/30/2012 4:53:43 AM   
76mm

quote:

ORIGINAL: carlkay58
On the other hand, air recon will report them as units (rarely past a detection level of 1 or 2) so they can be best used in the Soviet Rear to seem as if a major buildup is happening in the area. Just hope that the Axis does not do a Panzer thrust into the group and watch them all disappear! This is one of Pelton's points above about the FOW effects.

Well it would make sense to me if depeleted units do not show up on recon, since they are essentially paper units anyway--there is nothing for air recon to see.

(in reply to carlkay58)
Post #: 32
RE: Bleeding the beast to death and the AP crunch expla... - 10/30/2012 2:51:49 PM   
Marquo

The newly created units do not unfreeze until move three, so ZOC or not, they are pretty much useless until then.

(in reply to Pelton)
Post #: 33
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> The War Room >> RE: Bleeding the beast to death and the AP crunch explained. Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI