Matrix Games Forums

Space Program Manager Launch Contest Announced!Battle Academy 2 is out now on iPad!A closer look at rockets in Space Program ManagerDeal of the Week - Pride of NationsA new update for Piercing Fortress EuropaNew screenshots for War in the West!Pike & Shot is now available!Server Maintenance Battle Academy 2 gets updated!Deal of the Week: Advanced Tactics Gold
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Some basic questions.

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> The War Room >> Some basic questions. Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Some basic questions. - 10/26/2012 11:04:21 PM   
cplprice

Can submarines be used to transport troops ala the Makin Island Raid. If so do you use them as submarine, amphibious or transport task forces?

Can an order be given to have a TF run in under the cover of darkness, like the Japanese surface forces did around Guadalcanal. If so how do you order them to do so?

Thanks in advance.
Post #: 1
RE: Some basic questions. - 10/27/2012 1:06:27 AM   
Blackhorse

quote:

ORIGINAL: cplprice

Can submarines be used to transport troops ala the Makin Island Raid. If so do you use them as submarine, amphibious or transport task forces?

Can an order be given to have a TF run in under the cover of darkness, like the Japanese surface forces did around Guadalcanal. If so how do you order them to do so?

Thanks in advance.

For submarines, yes. For best results:

1. Find a SST (Argonaut, Nautilus, Narwhal).
2. Form a "Sub Transport" Task Force
3. Load a parachute unit in combat mode -- only parachute units, not the marine raiders, alas, can load in subs while in combat mode.
4. Go invade

< Message edited by Blackhorse -- 10/27/2012 1:07:06 AM >

WitP-AE -- US LCU & AI Stuff

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Moriarty: Crap!

(in reply to cplprice)
Post #: 2
RE: Some basic questions. - 10/27/2012 3:16:11 AM   
jmalter

from Don Bowen:

"1. Use an SST (not a regular SS)
2. You must load a para capable unit in combat mode. We don't have commando type, para is a close as we can get.
3. Must load at a larger port over which you have air superiority."

(in reply to Blackhorse)
Post #: 3
RE: Some basic questions. - 10/27/2012 9:31:33 AM   
inqistor

quote:

ORIGINAL: cplprice

In theory every submarine can transport troops, although on Allied side, there exist no squad small enough to fit even large SS, so you should use SST.
You should use Submarine Transport mission, and only parachute units will fit in combat mode (although they have no chance against any opposition anyway, so this is hardly useful, unless you use whole fleet to invade)

quote:

Check manual for description of naval missions. If you set Fast Transport/Bombardment TF as Mission Speed, they suppose to wait until darkness for arrival (although that tends to NOT work as intended most of the time).
You can also force TF speed, and set waypoints so they surely arrive at intended part of the day.

(in reply to cplprice)
Post #: 4
RE: Some basic questions. - 10/28/2012 4:20:36 PM   
cplprice

Thank you for the info gentlemen. Seem's like everytime I play I learn new things you can do in this game and new questions arise.

(in reply to inqistor)
Post #: 5
RE: Some basic questions. - 10/28/2012 5:43:54 PM   
jmalter

use Full Speed for best assault/bombardment results.

sail up to one hex offshore of your target at cruise/remain on station. next turn, set destination to the target, switch to full/remain on station, & set BombTF flagship's floatplanes to night recon of target hex.

-BombTF at fullspeed will use nearly all its ammo, at mission or cruise speed it'll use less. if you're set to remain, the TF won't accrue damage as it withdraws at fullspeed, instead it'll remain inside your (hopefully robust) CAP umbrella. next turn, allow it to rtb to re-arm, in convoy w/ any emptied transports from the AmphTF.
-AmphTF at fullspeed starting from adj hex will use its available ops points for unloading instead of traveling.

for even better results, sail right in to your target hex, w/ the BombTF set as a SurfTF, & the AmphTF set to 'do not unload'. CD Guns usually won't bother you if you arrive in their hex & do nothing, but you'd best be confident that the hex is mine-free if you do this. AmphTFs will have even better unload speed, as they can begin unloading before the night-turn naval movement phase.

of course you'll want to adjust my assault recipe for your local conditions.

ETA: more specific advice.

< Message edited by jmalter -- 10/29/2012 4:07:37 AM >

(in reply to cplprice)
Post #: 6
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> The War Room >> Some basic questions. Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI