Replacements situation (one of many shortcomings of game engine) massively spoils my current game and it fells like WitE should end in summer of '43. I am deeply disappointed, because my struggle against Mike was my most enjoyable encounter so far, but current system will soon take most of the pleasure away by imposing trench warfare and boring passive defence.
At the moment German player is forced abandon attack far to quickly because of designed snowball-effect.
I attack so I suffer loses and they won't properly be replaced. So to maintain momentum I need to weaken other parts of front handing initiative to Soviets everywhere but in area of attack.
My forces on the flanks get beaten so they suffered losses, but obviously they won't be replaced, so either I continue attacking and make situation on flanks even worse or I switch to defence and slowly rebuild forces what won't change anything, because by the time German forces regains strength Red Army will be too strong for any prolonged attempts to create pockets. Once it happens attacking stops being option for Germans, because loses ratio favours Soviet massively.
And it leads to constant withdrawal for one side, and dull grinding for the other.
Game is to be fun and WitE slowly stops providing it.
After removing +1 rule '42 was fun. Not so any more.
Having said that, I don't want to take anything from Mike who is playing better than me, but I need to add that current replacement system is not helping me at all and I feel this is factor that is tipping the scales.
Welcome to GHC side of things, it is 100% unforgiving and the deck is stacked against you.
If one is open minded the game in all but 2 AAR's is SHC going over to the offensive in mid summer.
The snowball starts in 1941 with:
1. SHC not having to defend the south. They can shift everything other then a screen of brigades to hold Leningrad and Moscow.
2. Losses can be kept far below historical, easly under 2.8 million.
3. By Blizzard SHC has 5 million men and the blizzard which should be GHC pocketing units (historical) or atleast a slow retreat west with no units being cut off and no loss of morale. The hole loss of morale thing is a joke to start with.
The loss of morale from 70 to 60 is a crippling blow, most new GHC players dont get. If morale was held basicly in check even with the crapply replasement system GHC could atleast push until September or October.
4. By June 1942 SHC has 7 million men, GHC average morale has dropped from mid 70's to mid 60's with many units in 50's. The replasement system is a joke at this point, it 100% only hurts GHC and does nothing to SHC.
5. SHC has no manpower or armament shortages at this point and never will. Simply sit back and let your forses build up.
The game is more static now then when the 4-5 fort belts were in play.
Basicly the GHC is forsed over to defensive by mid summer 1942.
Very few if any GHC's have any skill or exp in defending so most guys simply run up the white flag.
This new POS replasement system is a disaster. A SHC fanboys dream come true.
< Message edited by Pelton -- 2/10/2013 5:18:31 PM >
Beta Tester WitW & WitE