Matrix Games Forums

War in the West gets its first update!Flashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm version 2.08 is now available!Command gets huge update!Order of Battle: Pacific Featured on Weekly Streaming SessionA new fight for Battle Academy!Buzz Aldrin's Space Program Manager is out for Mac!The definitive wargame of the Western Front is out now! War in the West gets teaser trailer and Twitch Stream!New Preview AAR for War in the West!War in the West Manual preview
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Ships getting shot up when they enter another empire's space.

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds Series >> Ships getting shot up when they enter another empire's space. Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Ships getting shot up when they enter another empire's ... - 10/26/2012 4:15:43 AM   
tjhkkr

Okay gang,
I am getting pretty tired of my scouts going into the Ancient Guardians home system looking for fuel or exploring the place... eventually they get riled and start shooting up my ships.
How do I keep my ships out of their territory.
Now mind you, the same thing happened with Death Watch Command (Mandalorians) who hate my guts, and they did not shoot me up... but the Mandalores might be frightened of me, where as the Guardians are not...

How do I keep out of people's territory who I really do not want to offend or have them blow my ships away?

Remember that the evil which is now in the world will become yet more powerful, and that it is not evil which conquers evil, but only love -- Olga Romanov.
Post #: 1
RE: Ships getting shot up when they enter another empir... - 10/26/2012 4:45:46 AM   
adecoy95

they will shoot you if your reputation is too low

(in reply to tjhkkr)
Post #: 2
RE: Ships getting shot up when they enter another empir... - 10/26/2012 2:36:54 PM   
Haree78

Your scouts wont bother the AGs at all. They will shoot them if you have given them reason to dislike you, low reputation etc but the scouts themselves wont affect relationships.
If you want to stop military ships then scuttle any bases you have in their territory.

Distant Worlds Extended
Battlestar Galactica Legends Mod

(in reply to adecoy95)
Post #: 3
RE: Ships getting shot up when they enter another empir... - 10/26/2012 3:51:01 PM   
Shark7

My scouts will certainly rile up the AGs. But then, my scouts are also armed to the teeth.

I've never liked completely unarmed scouts, too many nasty things out there and I like to be able to shoot back.

Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'

(in reply to Haree78)
Post #: 4
RE: Ships getting shot up when they enter another empir... - 10/26/2012 8:24:11 PM   
tjhkkr

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shark7
My scouts will certainly rile up the AGs. But then, my scouts are also armed to the teeth.
I've never liked completely unarmed scouts, too many nasty things out there and I like to be able to shoot back.

My scouts are armed and shielded for the very same reason. But I only give them enough to back away.
Myy reputation with the Ancient Guardians is always good. I never provoke them. They still shoot up my ships. But then I do not know if my scouts are firing on the Ancient Guardians or not. I do not think so...

Remember that the evil which is now in the world will become yet more powerful, and that it is not evil which conquers evil, but only love -- Olga Romanov.

(in reply to Shark7)
Post #: 5
RE: Ships getting shot up when they enter another empir... - 10/26/2012 8:36:37 PM   
ASHBERY76

An armed ship is fair game and should be shot up.

(in reply to tjhkkr)
Post #: 6
RE: Ships getting shot up when they enter another empir... - 10/26/2012 9:24:44 PM   
tjhkkr

quote:

ORIGINAL: ASHBERY76
An armed ship is fair game and should be shot up.

Okay.

But I am still left with the question, how do I keep them out; I DO NOT WANT them to enter into another's territory.
Is there a way game-wise to keep my scouts out without taking manual control over them?

(in reply to ASHBERY76)
Post #: 7
RE: Ships getting shot up when they enter another empir... - 10/27/2012 3:54:40 AM   
Dracus

no there is not. Don't arm the scouts and the AG will not shoot them. When you arm them, the AG view them as warships that are traspassing.

(in reply to tjhkkr)
Post #: 8
RE: Ships getting shot up when they enter another empir... - 10/27/2012 6:52:14 AM   
Shark7

quote:

ORIGINAL: tjhkkr

quote:

My scouts are armed and shielded for the very same reason. But I only give them enough to back away.
Myy reputation with the Ancient Guardians is always good. I never provoke them. They still shoot up my ships. But then I do not know if my scouts are firing on the Ancient Guardians or not. I do not think so...

Hehe, my current design has 128 firepower and 400 shields.

2 Area weapons and 2 rail guns, IIRC.

Distant Worlds Fan

(in reply to tjhkkr)
Post #: 9
RE: Ships getting shot up when they enter another empir... - 10/27/2012 6:53:43 AM   
Shark7

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dracus

no there is not. Don't arm the scouts and the AG will not shoot them. When you arm them, the AG view them as warships that are traspassing.

Personally I just ignore their protests. And if they do attack me, it just gives me the excuse to conquer them (which is what I planned to do all along).

Distant Worlds Fan

(in reply to Dracus)
Post #: 10
RE: Ships getting shot up when they enter another empir... - 10/27/2012 9:01:30 AM   
Ralzakark

My scouts are never armed and have minimal armour and shielding, but they are stuffed full of engines and thrusters so they can rapidly escape. I rarely loose any of them. Not being armed they don't get shot at either except by pirates.

(in reply to Shark7)
Post #: 11
RE: Ships getting shot up when they enter another empir... - 10/28/2012 1:18:19 AM   
tjhkkr

quote:

Personally I just ignore their protests. And if they do attack me, it just gives me the excuse to conquer them (which is what I planned to do all along).

You conquor the Ancient Guardians?
I am impressed.

I have not tried it myself, but I watched Black Sun try... Prince Xizor got a little hurt (That was a surprise move on that character's part because I made him cautious in the my character profile for him. I think the Ancient Gaurdians Carbon Froze him...

(in reply to Shark7)
Post #: 12
RE: Ships getting shot up when they enter another empir... - 10/28/2012 1:24:14 AM   
tjhkkr

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ralzakark
My scouts are never armed and have minimal armour and shielding, but they are stuffed full of engines and thrusters so they can rapidly escape. I rarely loose any of them. Not being armed they don't get shot at either except by pirates.

That is why I armed my scouts... because of pirates. And since I have pirates set to the highest setting, they are all over the place...

(in reply to Ralzakark)
Post #: 13
RE: Ships getting shot up when they enter another empir... - 10/28/2012 1:54:01 AM   
Brainsucker

Well for me, the exploration ship or "Scout" is just a dispose-able ship. So I don't care if they are being attacked by Pirates, Giant Kaltor, or even other nations. Right now I even have more than 30 scouts (although they are not armed... yet). Now after I possess the "World Destruction" ship, I'll armed my scout and will provoke my neighbors . But maybe I just need to build a monitoring station or putting one of my patrol group (contains 5 ships) to their territory. But that will do after my biggest fleet reach 20 or 30 unit of ships.

(in reply to tjhkkr)
Post #: 14
RE: Ships getting shot up when they enter another empir... - 10/28/2012 1:57:08 AM   
Brainsucker

edit : sorry, double post

(in reply to Brainsucker)
Post #: 15
RE: Ships getting shot up when they enter another empir... - 10/28/2012 4:01:18 AM   
Shark7

You can't do it early, you have to do it late and have a massive military. The AGs I just ignore, the other races...well they get subjugated.

Distant Worlds Fan

(in reply to tjhkkr)
Post #: 16
RE: Ships getting shot up when they enter another empir... - 10/28/2012 9:21:35 AM   
Ralzakark

One of the good things about this game is that there is often no one, right answer to a problem. I use fast and manoeverable explorers to avoid trouble, others arm them or just mass-produce them and accept many will be destroyed (which I do when playing the Gizureans). All have they advantages and disadvantages, all work better in some circumstances than others.

(in reply to Shark7)
Post #: 17
RE: Ships getting shot up when they enter another empir... - 10/28/2012 12:08:12 PM   
ehsumrell1

quote:

One of the good things about this game is that there is often no one, right answer to a problem. I use fast and manoeverable explorers to avoid trouble, others arm them or just mass-produce them and accept many will be destroyed (which I do when playing the Gizureans). All have they advantages and disadvantages, all work better in some circumstances than others.

Well said!

Shields are useless in "The Briar Patch"...

(in reply to Ralzakark)
Post #: 18
RE: Ships getting shot up when they enter another empir... - 10/29/2012 7:34:04 PM   
tjhkkr

quote:

ORIGINAL: ehsumrell1
quote:

Well said!

I agree.

I had simply hoped there was an exclusion zone feature that I was missing (because there is a lot of cool features in the game, and I am only using part of it).

(in reply to ehsumrell1)
Post #: 19
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds Series >> Ships getting shot up when they enter another empire's space. Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI