OT: Who is to blame for the failure to anticipate the Pearl Harbor attack?

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

Olorin

OT: Who is to blame for the failure to anticipate the Pearl Harbor attack?

Post by Olorin »

Hello,

I am doing a presentation on the title's subject and I am looking for a book that presents the pre-war strategic planning and intelligence efforts of the US planners. I have found a few good journals, articles and pdfs by googling, but I'd like to buy a hard copy of a good, respectable book on this subject, both to read it myself and to include it in my presentation as recommended reading. What is the best book that first comes in your mind when you think of this subject? I'd be grateful for any help.

fodder

RE: OT: Who is to blame for the failure to anticipate the Pearl Harbor attack?

Post by fodder »

Don't know if it's the best book on the subject, but the first one that comes to mind is.

SCAPEGOATS a defence of Kimmel and Short at Pearl Harbor, by Edward L. Beach. Naval Institute Press. ISBN 1-55750-059-2

Hope this helps.
dr.hal

Post by dr.hal »

Wow, what a topic, it would be easier to write the history of the Roman empire...oh, wait, that's been done!
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

As the Jackson 5 once said, Dont blame it on the sunshine, don't blame on the moonlight, don't blame it on the good times - blame it on the boogie......
Now Maitland, now's your time!

Duke of Wellington to 1st Guards Brigade - Waterloo 18 June 1815
Empire101

Post by Empire101 »

ORIGINAL: warspite1

As the Jackson 5 once said, Dont blame it on the sunshine, don't blame on the moonlight, don't blame it on the good times - blame it on the boogie......

Wise words from The World of FunkyTown
[font="Tahoma"]Our lives may be more boring than those who lived in apocalyptic times,
but being bored is greatly preferable to being prematurely dead because of some ideological fantasy.
[/font] - Michael Burleigh

Wirraway_Ace

Post by Wirraway_Ace »

These are the two I recommend:
"And I was there" by Layton
"At dawn we slept" by Prange

Both are excellent in my opinion. Layton goes into more detail in terms of the intelligence failures.
Dili

Post by Dili »

Well several people anticipated Pearl Harbor, many more didn't anything or enough about it.
pontiouspilot

Post by pontiouspilot »

John Toland is well recogized and has 2 large books on topic. I am not near my bookshelf so I can only remember name of 1: "Infamy"...if I am not mistaken.
dorjun driver

Post by dorjun driver »

Pearl Harbor; warning and decision by Roberta Wohlstetter
x - ARPAnaut
x - ACM
x - AES
Current - Bum

The paths of glory may lead you to the grave, but the paths of duty may not get you anywhere.
JT
Justus2

Post by Justus2 »

ORIGINAL: Wirraway_Ace

These are the two I recommend:
"And I was there" by Layton
"At dawn we slept" by Prange

Both are excellent in my opinion. Layton goes into more detail in terms of the intelligence failures.

Prange actually wrote two other books on the topic, one of them Pearl Harbor: The Verdict of History would probably deal more with what you are looking for.
Just when I get the hang of a game, I buy two more... :)
Olorin

Post by Olorin »

Thanks for all the suggestions. [:)]
That's more books than I can read until next Wednesday, but keep them coming!
AW1Steve

Post by AW1Steve »

Day of Lightning,Years of Scorn.
crsutton

Post by crsutton »

ORIGINAL: Olorin

Thanks for all the suggestions. [:)]
That's more books than I can read until next Wednesday, but keep them coming!

Depends on how deep you are going but Prange was a professor at the University of MD at College Park and there is an entire collection under his name in the graduate library there. If I was going to do some serious research on Pearl Harbor, this is where I would start.
I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg
slinkytwf

Post by slinkytwf »

Layton's volume was a direct rebuttal to Prange, who, although detailed, got a lot of things just plain wrong. If you use Prange as a source, also use Layton. As my military history professor said at the time, "If you want to make money as a military historian, write a controversial book about Pearl Harbor."
jmalter

Post by jmalter »

hi Olorin,

there's a lot of literature available, but the "who is to blame?" topic would focus too much on individuals (who might rightly/wrongly be accused of failing their responsibilities). but you might profit by examining a time-line of events, to include the military/diplomatic/economic events as tensions between IJ & US ratcheted up.

US re-basing the BBs to Pearl, the fall of France, IJ occupation of Indochina, US economic sanctions & air reinforcements to the Phillipines, the Washington negotiations, etc.

you should look at SecState Cordell Hull & the trade sanctions, i think that was the US action that convinced IJ to tilt to the option for war.
Olorin

Post by Olorin »

ORIGINAL: jmalter

hi Olorin,

there's a lot of literature available, but the "who is to blame?" topic would focus too much on individuals (who might rightly/wrongly be accused of failing their responsibilities). but you might profit by examining a time-line of events, to include the military/diplomatic/economic events as tensions between IJ & US ratcheted up.

US re-basing the BBs to Pearl, the fall of France, IJ occupation of Indochina, US economic sanctions & air reinforcements to the Phillipines, the Washington negotiations, etc.

Hi jmalter,
That's more or less what I am going to do. The "Who to blame" title leaves open the option to blame no person and spread responsibility across many individuals and institutions. Sometimes stuff happens, without anyone in particular to blame.

Just for the record, the main reasons I will present that contributed to the failure, imo, are (in random order):
- Basing the Pacific Fleet in Hawaii, redeploying heavy bombers in Philippines. Measures to deter the Japanese from attacking and making any potential operations in the Western Pacific too costly for Japan (or so it was thought).
- Philippines was believed to be out of range by Japanese aircraft, carriers were needed to support an invasion
- Heavy bombers based in Philippines were believed to be more effective at naval strikes than they actually were in practice
- Carriers not seen as strategically decisive capital ships. The battleship was still the weapon of decision in all navies of the era. USA used carriers only in support role.
- Lack of planning by the Japanese. Plans begun formulating after September. Too many options to attack (Russia, DEI, China, USA, Thailand, Burma, Malaya).
- US planners simply did not believe that Japan would not attack them, instead preferring to expand their war in China or attack SE Asia (Thailand/Burma/Malaya) and/or the DEI
- Intelligence services fragmentation of resources and information.
- Japanese misinformation
- A lot of false alarms

I am sure this list will be expanded before next Wednesday.

ilovestrategy

Post by ilovestrategy »

And no, Roosevelt did not keep knowledge of Dec. 7th from the folks at Pearl. I really do hate those conspiracy theories.
After 16 years, Civ II still has me in it's clutches LOL!!!
Now CIV IV has me in it's evil clutches!
LargeSlowTarget

Post by LargeSlowTarget »

ORIGINAL: Justus2
Prange actually wrote two other books on the topic, one of them Pearl Harbor: The Verdict of History would probably deal more with what you are looking for.

Exactly. Prange concluded "There is enough blame for everyone" - starting with American voters being responsible for a parsimonious congress not providing enough money for the Armed forces; widespread racism coupled with underestimation of Japan / overconfidence in US power; wrong estimates, assessements, communication failures etc. at and between the White House, the Pentagon, Office of Naval Intelligence, the commanders at Pearl etc. The entire issue is so complex that you cannot put the blame on one or two individuals.

Dili

Post by Dili »

I think the biggest blame should go to whom not implemented an early warning system in Pearl Harbor.
Taranto was 1 year earlier...
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: Dili

I think the biggest blame should go to whom not implemented an early warning system in Pearl Harbor.
Taranto was 1 year earlier...
warspite1

They had one - the aircraft were caught on radar..... Remember the line from Tora Tora Tora? "What shall we do sir?"....

"Don't worry about it"
Now Maitland, now's your time!

Duke of Wellington to 1st Guards Brigade - Waterloo 18 June 1815

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”