Empires start on Ancient Homeworld

Distant Worlds is a vast, pausable real-time, 4X space strategy game which models a "living galaxy" with incredible options for replayability and customizability. Experience the full depth and detail of large turn-based strategy games, but with the simplicity and ease of real-time, and on the scale of a massively-multiplayer online game. Now greatly enhanced with the new Universe release, which includes all four previous releases as well as the new Universe expansion!

Moderators: Icemania, elliotg

Shark7

Empires start on Ancient Homeworld

Post by Shark7 »

Revisited.

All I want is a check box that will force player defined empires (in the screen where you can define the AI empires in the start game menu sequence) to start on their homeworlds. This would not apply to randomly generated empires or quick start games. The players own empire is player defined (since you set it up) and also included in this...again only applicable from the start new game menus, not from a quick start.

Here is an illustration of what I'd like to see:

Attachments
Image1.jpg
Image1.jpg (61.88 KiB) Viewed 171 times
Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'
RaffleSnaffle

RE: Empires start on Ancient Homeworld

Post by RaffleSnaffle »

Ancient homeworlds as in the race's description?
Shark7

Post by Shark7 »

ORIGINAL: RaffleSnaffle

Ancient homeworlds as in the race's description?

Ancient homeworld as in:

'Name of ancient home system
HomeSystemName ;Ackdar

as found in the race.txt document. I guess Ancient Home System would have been a more accurate description, but you should be able to see what I'm driving at here.
Distant Worlds Fan

RaffleSnaffle

Post by RaffleSnaffle »

Ah I see.

Would be cool. Since I like to put one of each race in the game for the bigger maps.
Algoritm

Post by Algoritm »

Neat idea, even though I found it cool when I started on the Atuuk homeworld in one game playing as the Kiadian.

I can imagine the cross-breed [:D]
We seek researchers that find, but find researchers that seek.
RaffleSnaffle

Post by RaffleSnaffle »

ORIGINAL: Algoritm

Attachments
images.jpg
images.jpg (6.14 KiB) Viewed 171 times
Shark7

Post by Shark7 »

ORIGINAL: RaffleSnaffle

ORIGINAL: Algoritm

A super intelligent Furby...

Ok that is just scary... [X(]
Distant Worlds Fan

tjhkkr

Post by tjhkkr »

First of all, I agree with this...

But we are back to the question: how many check boxes and sliders will we have? [:D]
And mind you, I LOVE the versatility and what Elliot has given us... I still find it humorous.

Oh, and I had another thought: what happens if the world is not in your list OR if the world starts out an iceplanet when your race likes the desert...
Some programming concerns to think about.
Remember that the evil which is now in the world will become yet more powerful, and that it is not evil which conquers evil, but only love -- Olga Romanov.
RaffleSnaffle

Post by RaffleSnaffle »

I love having the most options available when setting up a game as well.

DW is one of those games and adding even more will just make me more happy.

Any good RTS will have a decent skirmish mode with tons of options.

See: Supreme Commander :D
Shark7

Post by Shark7 »

ORIGINAL: tjhkkr

First of all, I agree with this...

But we are back to the question: how many check boxes and sliders will we have? [:D]
And mind you, I LOVE the versatility and what Elliot has given us... I still find it humorous.

Oh, and I had another thought: what happens if the world is not in your list OR if the world starts out an iceplanet when your race likes the desert...
Some programming concerns to think about.

Well that's where Elliotg comes in. [;)]

Actually if you've ever noticed, the independents that show up tend to show up on their actual home system some where on the map, and it has no problems. Seems like your concern is already covered, its just a matter of making sure that the player defined empires start there instead of the independents.
Distant Worlds Fan

Igard

Post by Igard »

It's vital that we get something like this for our mods. Having the Federation start on Cardassia isn't very accurate, and it's the first thing people trying mods for the first time notice after they click play.
tjhkkr

Post by tjhkkr »

ORIGINAL: Igard
It's vital that we get something like this for our mods. Having the Federation start on Cardassia isn't very accurate, and it's the first thing people trying mods for the first time notice after they click play.

Or Darth Tyrannus (Count Dooku) with Coruscant as his capital... not too good either. [:D]
Remember that the evil which is now in the world will become yet more powerful, and that it is not evil which conquers evil, but only love -- Olga Romanov.
Shark7

Post by Shark7 »

ORIGINAL: tjhkkr
ORIGINAL: Igard

Or Darth Tyrannus (Count Dooku) with Coruscant as his capital... not too good either. [:D]

Some of us would argue that having Dooku reigning from Imperial Center is the way it should have gone. [;)]

It is annoying though, as my empire 'The Solarian Federation' never actually starts any where near Solaris. [:@]
Distant Worlds Fan

Return to “Distant Worlds 1 Series”