Matrix Games Forums

Happy Easter!Battle Academy is now available on SteamPlayers compare Ageods Civil War to Civil War IIDeal of the week - An updated War in the East goes half Price!Sign up for the Qvadriga beta for iPad and Android!Come and say hi at Pax and SaluteLegends of War goes on sale!Piercing Fortress Europa Gets UpdatedBattle Academy Mega Pack is now availableClose Combat: Gateway to Caen Teaser Trailer
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Fulkerson vs Moore

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: Fulkerson vs Moore Page: <<   < prev  69 70 [71] 72 73   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Fulkerson vs Moore - 7/19/2013 1:47:09 PM   
larryfulkerson

TF 130 is bringing some much needed supplies to Kwajalein. And this is how badly I've been running my ship loads: Kwaj is completely
out of everything. Fuel and Supplies are 0 even as we speak. D'oh.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to larryfulkerson)
Post #: 2101
RE: Fulkerson vs Moore - 7/20/2013 8:19:41 AM   
larryfulkerson

Here's the latest Tracker economic chart. The NavY and MerchY figures are the ones I've been watching closely and so far so good.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 2102
RE: Fulkerson vs Moore - 7/20/2013 1:57:17 PM   
guytipton41

Hi Larry,

I have been reading your AAR for the good details on running the Japanese as I hope to get another game going soon. Thanx for the effort put into documenting your trials and tribulations.

Cheers,
Guy

Post #: 2103
RE: Fulkerson vs Moore - 7/20/2013 2:14:02 PM   
larryfulkerson

quote:

ORIGINAL: guytipton41
Hi Larry,

HI there guy dude. Thanks for taking the time to peruse this document. It's for guys like you that I've been doing this.

quote:

I have been reading your AAR for the good details on running the Japanese as I hope to get another game going soon. Thanx for the effort put into documenting your trials and tribulations.

You're welcome. Jim Moore and I are each doing separate AAR's so I can put all kinds of secret stuff in this one and he can put his
secret stuff in his and I don't read his. I'm trusting him not to read mine. But I don't enforce it 'cause I'm not playing a cut-throat game
and Jim isn't either. It's more a beer and pretzels kind of game but I'm trying to be a good compeditor for him and we're keeping the
action level pretty high and the wear and tear on the ships is mounting. We're already on turn 277 and we're managing three turns
per day on some days. Jim has been really patient w/ me as I try this and I try that and he reports that he's past the most frustrating
part of the Allied side and now his ship-count is starting to climb and I've already noticed that he has started to probe here and there
and I'm thinking this is a good game.

EDIT: You can find Jim Moore's AAR here: http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3109795

quote:

Cheers,
Guy

Thanks Guy, for keeping up w/ our progress. I'm going to put all kinds of details into this AAR for you.

< Message edited by larryfulkerson -- 7/20/2013 2:15:21 PM >

(in reply to guytipton41)
Post #: 2104
RE: Fulkerson vs Moore - 7/20/2013 2:37:15 PM   
larryfulkerson

TF 35 finally arrived at Okayama and is unloading at least as many supplies as it takes to put Okayama over 10K and then we're
moving on to Hiroshima to do the same to that city. The HI industry in these two cities is in danger of running out of supplies and
they are two of my biggest HI contributors so it just wouldn't do for the HI in those two cities to fail. I've already used up all the slack I had
in the NavY and MerchY pools. So it's tricky sailing from here on out.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 2105
RE: Fulkerson vs Moore - 7/20/2013 3:06:07 PM   
larryfulkerson

TF 165 was a surface combat group and they didn't have anything to do for a while, seemingly, so I decided to disband them and get
some repair work done while it was still possible. Jaluit still has some supplies but it's out of fuel. D'oh. I've got some AK's at Truk that
are loading up w/ supplies for this part of the world even as we speak. They should be here in about a week.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 2106
RE: Fulkerson vs Moore - 7/20/2013 6:51:49 PM   
larryfulkerson

Here's the situation at Mili: Jim has had a submarine lay some mines in the harbour at Mili even while there was an AP there unloading
some troops. TF 624 wants to deliver some supplies to Mili because there's only about 500 supplies there now and so I'm guessing I'll
need to divert TF 624 to some other needy port and get the DMS to sweep Mili. Sounds like it'll take about a week to get the DMS here
and then another couple of days after that before I can use the Mili port. I wish Jim wouldn't do that.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 2107
RE: Fulkerson vs Moore - 7/20/2013 7:04:34 PM   
larryfulkerson

I was just now checking out Truk and I seem to have let Truk fuel ships until there's no more fuel at Truk. But I look up the convoys
moving to Truk and I find about 60K of fuel moving to Truk and will be there within about a week. Good enough.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 2108
RE: Fulkerson vs Moore - 7/20/2013 7:13:35 PM   
larryfulkerson

I thought that while I was checking out hubs I might as well check out BubbleDrop. There's all kinds of goodies flowing toward BD except
for supplies. I'm going to have to ship some supplies to BD as well so that they don't run low on supplies. BD has enough for about a
week I'm guessing so there's no hurry on the supply shipment.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 2109
RE: Fulkerson vs Moore - 7/21/2013 2:43:56 AM   
larryfulkerson

Here's the latest resources history display from Tracker. The Resources column is alarming. I'm down to, like, 9 days worth of
resources in the home islands. Doh.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 2110
RE: Fulkerson vs Moore - 7/23/2013 2:00:52 AM   
larryfulkerson

I'm running low on resources and I already have some industry failing in at least two cities. D'oh.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 2111
RE: Fulkerson vs Moore - 7/24/2013 6:56:53 AM   
larryfulkerson

I found some of Jim's carriers. Now to mount an attack. I've forgotten how close my carriers are to this spot. I'm thinking they are in
Ocean Island's port and are real handy. Now if only I had some fuel.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 2112
RE: Fulkerson vs Moore - 7/24/2013 7:03:01 AM   
larryfulkerson

I found my carriers.......they are up by Wake and they are low on gas. And they aren't doing any good where they are.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 2113
RE: Fulkerson vs Moore - 7/24/2013 10:53:09 PM   
larryfulkerson

I've got 4 carriers being repaired at Yokohama and they will be there for quite a while.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 2114
RE: Fulkerson vs Moore - 7/24/2013 11:40:25 PM   
larryfulkerson

Here's all the convoys headed for Bubble Drop. Lot's of fuel and resources. I'm going to see if I can't divert a lot of those resources
toward Tokyo instead of unloading them at BD and transfering the resources to a different convoy. Save about a week in time I'm
guessing.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 2115
RE: Fulkerson vs Moore - 7/24/2013 11:56:27 PM   
larryfulkerson

Here's the fuel, oil, supplies, etc., levels at six of my hub ports. Lots of fuel and oil at Cam Rahn Bay to go to the home islands. I forgot to
get Palembang on this picture and I'm thinking there's lots of oil and fuel at Paley ready to go to the home islands but not much in the
way of resources. I've still got lots of convoys going between Truk and Ocean Island and Nauru for resources. I'm going to have to look
into maybe retreiving some resources from Christmas Island IO on the west side of Java, it's got over 100+ K of resources. So far.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 2116
RE: Fulkerson vs Moore - 7/25/2013 12:02:35 AM   
larryfulkerson

Here's the industries that failed today:

Attachment (1)

Post #: 2117
RE: Fulkerson vs Moore - 7/25/2013 2:56:22 AM   
larryfulkerson

Here's the condition of the active subs......I've got the SYS damage sorted in descending order so the most damaged ones tend to
migrate to the top of the list.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 2118
RE: Fulkerson vs Moore - 7/25/2013 3:01:40 AM   
larryfulkerson

Here's the condition of the subs being repaired at yards. It appears that there's three subs at Shortlands that are going to have to
migrate to Truk to be repaired by the repair ship there.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 2119
RE: Fulkerson vs Moore - 7/25/2013 1:18:55 PM   
larryfulkerson

Here's the latest Tracker resources history. I didn't have any industry fail today for lack of resources. That's a good sign.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 2120
RE: Fulkerson vs Moore - 7/25/2013 1:20:57 PM   
larryfulkerson

I misspoke on the previous post. Here's the latest industry report and it shows some failed industry. D'oh.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 2121
RE: Fulkerson vs Moore - 7/25/2013 11:17:27 PM   
SqzMyLemon

Hi larry,

Just looking at your recent posts showing stockpiles of fuel/oil/resources/supply in Japan and am worried you just aren't getting enough into the Home Islands.

Where are you shipping resources from? You should be able to use Fusan in Korea as a major port for exporting resources to Japan for example. I don't see any shipping there in your screenshot. A benchmark for HI pools by the end of 1942 for Japan is in the neighborhood of 1,000,000, which you are way below. You don't seem to be building many aircraft so it seems your armaments and naval/merchant shipyards are using up your HI.

You have a really good stockpile of armaments, I'd suggest only producing about 100/200 at this stage. Your vehicle pools are really low, I'd prioritize getting that increasing or you'll have difficulty with replacements and unable to equip new units arriving. I'd scale back your naval shipyards as well, unless you absolutely want to have every submarine or surface ship.

One thing about using Babeldoab (Bubbledrop) as a hub is spoilage, I'm pretty sure you're losing fuel by stockpiling it here. You need to get that fuel to Japan. You're also using a lot of fuel daily with ship movements, are you sailing your KB and surface ships a lot. I'd suggest you scale back your use, especially if you are not doing a lot of actual fighting right now.

Just a few thoughts for you to consider. The economy is key to Japan and I just think you are not doing enough to ensure your long term survival and ability to fight effectively in 43.

< Message edited by SqzMyLemon -- 7/25/2013 11:18:55 PM >

Luck is the residue of design - John Milton

Don't mistake lack of talent for genius - Peter Steele (Type O Negative)

Post #: 2122
RE: Fulkerson vs Moore - 7/26/2013 12:27:21 AM   
larryfulkerson

quote:

ORIGINAL: SqzMyLemon
Hi larry,

Hey there Squeeze dude. Lemme be the first to thank you for your analysis. Few people post anymore. And fewer still do an indepth
analysis.

quote:

Just looking at your recent posts showing stockpiles of fuel/oil/resources/supply in Japan and am worried you just aren't getting enough into the Home Islands.

Yeah, the resources history is telling that story to me every time I get a new one. I haven't really gotten properly organized w/ what
boats are going where, carrying what yet. This is my first real game of WITP-AE and my first time as the Japs. Does it show?

quote:

Where are you shipping resources from? You should be able to use Fusan in Korea as a major port for exporting resources to Japan for example. I don't see any shipping there in your screenshot.

I'm getting a lot of resources in the SRA, Saigon, Palembang, Pontiank, Ocean Island, Nauru island, Christmas Island IO, and various
smaller island ports in the lower Phillippines. Also, there's a dedicated group of convoys that run between Hakkaido and the home islands. I'm not sure just off the top of my head but I'm thinking there's about eight convoys doing nothing but that. I've pulled about
60% of the AK's off resources to haul fuel about a week ago to haul fuel to the home islands because I had industry that were failing
for lack of fuel. Now I've got 3 industry ports failing for lack of resources.

quote:

A benchmark for HI pools by the end of 1942 for Japan is in the neighborhood of 1,000,000, which you are way below. You don't seem to be building many aircraft so it seems your armaments and naval/merchant shipyards are using up your HI.

A million? no kidding? Wow.

quote:

You have a really good stockpile of armaments, I'd suggest only producing about 100/200 at this stage. Your vehicle pools are really low, I'd prioritize getting that increasing or you'll have difficulty with replacements and unable to equip new units arriving. I'd scale back your naval shipyards as well, unless you absolutely want to have every submarine or surface ship.

Yeah, my goal was to produce all the ships I could to compete better against the Allies. But maybe I can't afford to do that. D'oh.

quote:

One thing about using Babeldoab (Bubbledrop) as a hub is spoilage, I'm pretty sure you're losing fuel by stockpiling it here. You need to get that fuel to Japan. You're also using a lot of fuel daily with ship movements, are you sailing your KB and surface ships a lot. I'd suggest you scale back your use, especially if you are not doing a lot of actual fighting right now.

I hadn't even considered spoilage at BubbleDrop. I'll look into that and get some transports hauling the extra right away. And yes, I
have been sailing my ships a lot lately.

quote:

Just a few thoughts for you to consider. The economy is key to Japan and I just think you are not doing enough to ensure your long term survival and ability to fight effectively in 43.

I really appreciate you taking the time to post this stuff for me. I'm struggling to make a go of it and it's not working out just right and
I'm watching things go wrong and I'm lurching from one crisis to another. Right now my priority is to get the failing industry back on line.
And then to get better organized so that the movement of goodies is smoother without a crisis. It's going to work out in the long run
maybe.

Here's the latest economic diagnosis:

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by larryfulkerson -- 7/26/2013 5:12:57 AM >

(in reply to SqzMyLemon)
Post #: 2123
RE: Fulkerson vs Moore - 7/26/2013 1:56:58 AM   
SqzMyLemon

quote:

ORIGINAL: larryfulkerson

I really appreciate you taking the time to post this stuff for me. I'm struggling to make a go of it and it's not working out just right and
I'm watching things go wrong and I'm lurching from one crisis to another. Right now my priority is to get the failing industry back on line.
And then to get better organized so that the movement of goodies is smoother without a crisis. It's going to work out in the long run
maybe.

Not a problem.

A few suggestions. Stop your resource TF's from Ocean, Nauru, Christmas Island IO. Start sending transports to Fusan. You should be able to draw most, if not all of your resources for Japan from Fusan in Korea and Shikuka via Hokkaido. You'll save tons of fuel eliminating those long routes. Use you transports for resource shipping, using them to carry fuel is very inefficient.

Singapore is an ideal port to use as a hub for most of Borneo's fuel/oil and all of Sumatra's. Your biggest tankers should be loading up at Singapaore and moving that fuel to Japan or use Takao on Formosa as a hub rather than Babeldoab. Balikpapan's fuel is often used by Japanese players to send to Babeldoab and Truk for fleet operations. Everything else should be heading to Japan.

I agree, you've got to get your economy turned around and cranking out HI for your pools. Without a stockpile you'll be in trouble. Don't forget that as the war continues, more of your HI will be needed for pilot training. Also you need to build up supply in the Home Islands. Lots to do, but you'll find if you start concentrating your merchant fleet closer to Japan and the large resources available a short sail away, you'll see things improve in a number of areas.

Good luck, just don't get overwhelmed looking at the big picture. Start with a few new resource TF's at Fusan and expand the port to maximum and you'll see an immediate impact. Get your fuel/oil TF's running from Singapore, or whatever large base you want to use as a hub, and get that fuel/oil to Japan. You'll see fuel levels start to rise in Japan faster than you might think. It's all about using as few routes as possible, but to maximum capacity to conserve fuel in transit. Look at areas of your war production that you can turn off or reduce, do you need to build every submarine for example, they require a lot of HI to produce and at that stage of the war may be of little value.

< Message edited by SqzMyLemon -- 7/26/2013 1:59:13 AM >

Luck is the residue of design - John Milton

Don't mistake lack of talent for genius - Peter Steele (Type O Negative)

Post #: 2124
RE: Fulkerson vs Moore - 7/26/2013 7:32:37 AM   
larryfulkerson

quote:

A few suggestions. Stop your resource TF's from Ocean, Nauru, Christmas Island IO. Start sending transports to Fusan. You should be able to draw most, if not all of your resources for Japan from Fusan in Korea and Shikuka via Hokkaido. You'll save tons of fuel eliminating those long routes. Use you transports for resource shipping, using them to carry fuel is very inefficient.

Your suggestion to use shorter routes for the resources is a good one. Unfortunately, Jim and I are playing RA 4.2 which has
drastically altered the starting levels for most of the ports and the Resources value for the Resources Centers has been slashed as
compared to the regular scenario. I'll do a post right after this one explaining what I mean.

quote:

Singapore is an ideal port to use as a hub for most of Borneo's fuel/oil and all of Sumatra's. Your biggest tankers should be loading up at Singapaore and moving that fuel to Japan or use Takao on Formosa as a hub rather than Babeldoab. Balikpapan's fuel is often used by Japanese players to send to Babeldoab and Truk for fleet operations. Everything else should be heading to Japan.

Unfortunately I don't own Singapore yet. Yeah, I know it's September of '42 already and I don't own Singapore. But I can see using
Singapore for a major hub. I'm using Cam Rahn Bay right now. I looked up the maximum fuel and supply levels caps and they don't
exist so I guess I can pile all the goodies there that it'll hold.

quote:

I agree, you've got to get your economy turned around and cranking out HI for your pools. Without a stockpile you'll be in trouble. Don't forget that as the war continues, more of your HI will be needed for pilot training. Also you need to build up supply in the Home Islands. Lots to do, but you'll find if you start concentrating your merchant fleet closer to Japan and the large resources available a short sail away, you'll see things improve in a number of areas.

As the war progresses I'm guessing the number of pilots that are graduating increases and I'll need more HI at the beginning of the
month for all of them.

quote:

Good luck, just don't get overwhelmed looking at the big picture. Start with a few new resource TF's at Fusan and expand the port to maximum and you'll see an immediate impact. Get your fuel/oil TF's running from Singapore, or whatever large base you want to use as a hub, and get that fuel/oil to Japan. You'll see fuel levels start to rise in Japan faster than you might think. It's all about using as few routes as possible, but to maximum capacity to conserve fuel in transit. Look at areas of your war production that you can turn off or reduce, do you need to build every submarine for example, they require a lot of HI to produce and at that stage of the war may be of little value.

Yeah, I am a little overwhelmed by the big picture. But your ideas are good and I thank you. Shorter routes, fewer routes, look for
war production I can turn off ( aircraft production ? ), and turn off the construction of so many boats, especially the subs. Got it.

(in reply to SqzMyLemon)
Post #: 2125
RE: Fulkerson vs Moore - 7/26/2013 7:33:25 AM   
larryfulkerson

Double post sorry about that.

< Message edited by larryfulkerson -- 7/26/2013 8:02:42 AM >

(in reply to SqzMyLemon)
Post #: 2126
RE: Fulkerson vs Moore - 7/26/2013 7:38:23 AM   
larryfulkerson

Here's that post I promised to explain the differences between this RA 4.2 scenario and the stock one. As you can see in
the picture below for Fusan ( upper left corner ) has a 20(0) Resources Center and the Light Industry is 100(0) which means
that I'm probably going to have to haul resources to Fusan as soon as the resources in the port are used up. And there's
only about 29K resources there as it is.

At Shikuka ( upper right corner ) there's a pile of resources but no Resources Center, so once the resources there are gone they're
gone.

At Saigon ( lower right corner ) there's a small pile and a Resources Center so I've been going there for resources a lot here lately.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by larryfulkerson -- 7/26/2013 7:45:34 AM >

Post #: 2127
RE: Fulkerson vs Moore - 7/26/2013 7:39:10 AM   
larryfulkerson

This is me turning off all the ship construction that I could. Now the output from the NavY and MerchY are 0 and I can turn off the
spending of HI for them.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by larryfulkerson -- 7/26/2013 8:02:25 AM >

Post #: 2128
RE: Fulkerson vs Moore - 7/26/2013 8:06:27 AM   
larryfulkerson

Here's me turning off the NavY and MerchY production so they don't use any HI any more. I can always turn it on later.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 2129
RE: Fulkerson vs Moore - 7/26/2013 9:46:03 AM   
larryfulkerson

I haven't posted a strategic map in quite a while.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 2130
Page:   <<   < prev  69 70 [71] 72 73   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: Fulkerson vs Moore Page: <<   < prev  69 70 [71] 72 73   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI