Matrix Games Forums

A new update for Piercing Fortress EuropaNew screenshots for War in the West!Pike & Shot is now available!Server Maintenance Battle Academy 2 gets updated!Deal of the Week: Advanced Tactics Gold Ask Buzz Aldrin!Pike & Shot gets Release Date and Twitch Session!Deal of the Week Espana 1936War in the West coming in December!
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Tora Tora Tora

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Tora Tora Tora Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Tora Tora Tora - 10/22/2012 8:20:06 PM   
Wirraway_Ace

Spent a good part of my afternoon doing turn 1 of a new campaign game while watching Tora Tora Tora. Had not seen the movie since I was a very young. Loved the Nagato set! Great attention to detail. The fantail of the Nevada was a good set, but not in the same league.
Post #: 1
RE: Tora Tora Tora - 10/23/2012 12:56:26 AM   
SuluSea

The cool thing about this movie was the Japanese sections were filmed and directed by a Japanese director and the American parts were done in the US by Richard Fleischer.

IMO some great scenes and colors really stand out on a big screen TV.

”How strangely will the Tools of a Tyrant pervert the plain Meaning of Words!” ~ Samuel Adams

(in reply to Wirraway_Ace)
Post #: 2
RE: Tora Tora Tora - 10/23/2012 1:45:57 AM   
Sardaukar

I must say that it's one of the movies that has aged well.

"To meaningless French Idealism, Liberty, Fraternity and Equality...we answer with German Realism, Infantry, Cavalry and Artillery" -Prince von Bülov, 1870-

(in reply to SuluSea)
Post #: 3
RE: Tora Tora Tora - 10/23/2012 1:50:14 AM   
borner

I thought the "Nagato" part was shot onboard the USS Texas. Speaking of which, I sure hope they can drydock the old lady soon. Went on board this summer and she sure is showing her age. If I could figure out how to add picks on here I would post some

(in reply to Sardaukar)
Post #: 4
RE: Tora Tora Tora - 10/23/2012 1:59:59 AM   
bigred

complements of IKE99, a school teacher from Brazil in real life. I once asked Ike how to make a screen print and he sent me this attachment.
quote:

ORIGINAL: borner

I thought the "Nagato" part was shot onboard the USS Texas. Speaking of which, I sure hope they can drydock the old lady soon. Went on board this summer and she sure is showing her age. If I could figure out how to add picks on here I would post some

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by bigred -- 10/23/2012 2:15:11 AM >

---bigred---

IJ Production mistakes--
http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2597400

(in reply to borner)
Post #: 5
RE: Tora Tora Tora - 10/23/2012 2:06:02 AM   
Wirraway_Ace

quote:

ORIGINAL: borner

Nagato and Akagi scenes were apparently shot on full scale sets in Japan

(in reply to borner)
Post #: 6
RE: Tora Tora Tora - 10/23/2012 5:55:47 PM   
Ranger5355

One of the best war movies ever made IHO.

(in reply to Wirraway_Ace)
Post #: 7
RE: Tora Tora Tora - 10/23/2012 6:06:36 PM   
Schanilec

And with Veterens Day weekend coming up 'Tora, Tora, Tora' might be on again. Also I think Spike TV will run a 'Band of Borthers' marathon. Also, I hope some station will run 'Letters from Iwo Jima' and 'Flags of Our Fathers' back to back.
It would nice if the 'Pacific' were to run.

This is one Czech that doesn't bounce.

(in reply to Ranger5355)
Post #: 8
RE: Tora Tora Tora - 10/23/2012 7:50:57 PM   
dr.hal

The Nagato and Nevada fantail were full scale reproductions using mainly wood. The Nagato was build on a beach in Japan as I recall, so that shots forward (remember Yamamoto walking on the forecastle?) would look like the vessel was actually at sea, or at least IN a harbor. They decided not to build a full replica of the Nevada, but did actually build it on a barge. I guess costs would run to high for the whole thing. Also in the scene with the hanger getting hit and the P-40s? It is my understanding that someone on that set died as a result of the action and the relatives allowed the scene to go forward in the movie. However I've never been able to confirm this story. But you are right, some really great cinematography there...

< Message edited by dr.hal -- 10/23/2012 7:51:48 PM >

(in reply to Schanilec)
Post #: 9
RE: Tora Tora Tora - 10/24/2012 2:35:59 AM   
fodder

This is one of my favorite WWII movies, but even as a kid when first I saw this "Japanese" carrier launching planes I was a bit puzzled. I know what is is now (do you?) but back than....

Attachment (1)

(in reply to dr.hal)
Post #: 10
RE: Tora Tora Tora - 10/24/2012 12:00:39 PM   
Chris H

I first saw it in Hong Kong, in CHinese with English subtitles and not very good ones which forced me to watch in English. 4 or 5 times.   Come to think of it I saw Das Boot in German with English subtitles.  These film makers have cunning ways to force you to watch good movies again and again and again.

(in reply to fodder)
Post #: 11
RE: Tora Tora Tora - 10/24/2012 2:45:32 PM   
dr.hal

quote:

ORIGINAL: fodder

This is one of my favorite WWII movies, but even as a kid when first I saw this "Japanese" carrier launching planes I was a bit puzzled. I know what is is now (do you?) but back than....

I think that's the Lexington CVT 16? The angled flightdeck is something that was never present in WW2!

(in reply to fodder)
Post #: 12
RE: Tora Tora Tora - 10/24/2012 4:22:56 PM   
fodder

quote:

ORIGINAL: dr.hal

quote:

I think that's the Lexington CVT 16? The angled flightdeck is something that was never present in WW2!

Nope, it's not CVT 16 Lexington

(in reply to dr.hal)
Post #: 13
RE: Tora Tora Tora - 10/24/2012 9:34:49 PM   
rjopel

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: dr.hal

quote:

Nope, it's not CVT 16 Lexington

It's the Yorktown. CVS-10

(in reply to fodder)
Post #: 14
RE: Tora Tora Tora - 10/24/2012 9:39:29 PM   
slinkytwf

quote:

ORIGINAL: SuluSea

The cool thing about this movie was the Japanese sections were filmed and directed by a Japanese director and the American parts were done in the US by Richard Fleischer.

Two Japanese directors, and no less than Kurosawa worked on it, but he was uncredited. IMDB has the details.

(in reply to SuluSea)
Post #: 15
RE: Tora Tora Tora - 10/24/2012 10:09:53 PM   
fodder

quote:

ORIGINAL: rjopel

It's the Yorktown. CVS-10

Yes it is!

In the movie if you look close while the "VAL" is taking off, you can see the painted over 10 at the front of the flight deck.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to rjopel)
Post #: 16
RE: Tora Tora Tora - 10/25/2012 1:37:26 AM   
SimHq Tom Cofield

They could probably CGI out the flight deck and the island to make her look more 'realistic' today. Of course, there is no WW2 era carriers still seaworthy so flight scenes taking off and/or landing would be more difficult.

Thomas S. Cofield
Feature Editor, SimHQ.com
t.co0field@comcast.net (stopped the SimHq mail since I get nothing but spam)

(in reply to fodder)
Post #: 17
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Tora Tora Tora Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI