A long time Squad Leader player here. Not Advanced Squad Leader as I find the move from the original with copious amounts of rules and book keeping to be more of a chore than fun, so have stayed with playing my 70's wargame when it comes to squad level combat ;)
Have pilfered many a ASL scenario and played it with SL rules though...
I have been very close to buying this a number of times, so, instead of hesitating any longer, I will put out a few questions and see what answers I get.
1) I noticed on the boardgames website there are a number of other 'packs' for sale, with more on the way. Will the rest of this series be rolled out here at Matrix?
2) Will there be some form of campaign added in at some stage? If so, what form will this campaign take?
3) I have heard some people criticising the AI for doing ridiculous things like sending units out of cover, twirling in a circle, running tanks into buildings, etc, has this improved? And if not, is it improvable? (I know that AI's don't equal human players, so this question bears this in mind)
That should cover all of my issues. Everything else I have heard equals a purchase depending on the answers to the above.
1) Yes the first expansion is supposed to be coming out early next year.
2) I think a lot of players are looking for some type of campaign system and hopefully something will be implemented.
The developers listen to what people want, so we have our fingers crossed.
3) Yes AI is never perfect, but I think it does a pretty good job in this game depending on your skill level. It doesn't cheat like some AIs, although it gets extra units and CAPs in the higher difficulty levels. I'm sure the developer can tweak a few things in the AI scripts to eliminate some things.
Of course head to head will always be a better match.
And yes, you will still be able to curse the dice when they go sour.