Matrix Games Forums

Battle Academy is now available on SteamPlayers compare Ageods Civil War to Civil War IIDeal of the week - An updated War in the East goes half Price!Sign up for the Qvadriga beta for iPad and Android!Come and say hi at Pax and SaluteLegends of War goes on sale!Piercing Fortress Europa Gets UpdatedBattle Academy Mega Pack is now availableClose Combat: Gateway to Caen Teaser TrailerDeal of the Week Alea Jacta Est
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Hyperlinked Rules

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> Hyperlinked Rules Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Hyperlinked Rules - 10/16/2012 10:16:27 PM   
Missouri_Rebel

Here are the RaW made more user friendly. The changes are as follows;

Fully working Bookmarks for every rule, expandable.

Table of Contents links to rule

References in rules links to the corresponding section

Highlighted rule headings

Highlighted examples

Underlined and bold text important headings

Fully linked index (not complete)

Note that NO RULES WERE CHANGED and the only thing done was to make it more user friendly and easier on the eyes.

http://www.mediafire.com/view/?3ysb71egjfb657q

mo reb

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Missouri_Rebel -- 10/20/2012 4:24:43 AM >

**Those who rob Peter to pay Paul can always count on the support of Paul
**A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have-Gerald Ford
Post #: 1
RE: Hyperlinked Rules - 10/16/2012 10:30:09 PM   
SewerStarFish

+1

This is great.

Why choose the lesser evil: Vote Cthulhu.

(in reply to Missouri_Rebel)
Post #: 2
RE: Hyperlinked Rules - 10/16/2012 10:50:33 PM   
Missouri_Rebel

quote:

ORIGINAL: SewerStarFish

+1

This is great.

Enjoy. Something to use until the real deal comes out.
Note: You can use on the links in the table of contents by clicking directly on the text.

mo reb

**A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have-Gerald Ford

(in reply to SewerStarFish)
Post #: 3
RE: Hyperlinked Rules - 10/16/2012 11:55:16 PM   
Extraneous

NICE You can read it with Adobe.

NOTE: this is my opinion of the Hyperlinked-RAW-7mAug2004.pdf only.

University of Science Music and Culture (USMC) class of 71 and 72 ~ Extraneous (AKA Mziln)

Post #: 4
RE: Hyperlinked Rules - 10/17/2012 12:15:49 AM   
Missouri_Rebel

quote:

ORIGINAL: Extraneous

NOTE: this is my opinion of the Hyperlinked-RAW-7mAug2004.pdf only.

(in reply to Extraneous)
Post #: 5
RE: Hyperlinked Rules - 10/17/2012 3:04:05 AM   
Extraneous

I need to answer that way for a very good reason.

I'm Not trying to get on anyones nerves or make fun of anyone.

University of Science Music and Culture (USMC) class of 71 and 72 ~ Extraneous (AKA Mziln)

Post #: 6
RE: Hyperlinked Rules - 10/17/2012 3:20:37 AM   
Missouri_Rebel

quote:

ORIGINAL: Extraneous

I need to answer that way for a very good reason.

I'm Not trying to get on anyones nerves or make fun of anyone.

Oh we know. It's all good. Heck, we're all here for the same reason and as far as I am concerned any disagreement previously aired is water under the bridge.

mo reb

(in reply to Extraneous)
Post #: 7
RE: Hyperlinked Rules - 10/17/2012 8:46:38 PM   
Froonp

quote:

ORIGINAL: Missouri_Rebel

Here are the RaW made more user friendly. The changes are as follows;

Fully working Bookmarks for every rule, expandable.

Table of Contents links to rule

References in rules links to the corresponding section

Highlighted rule headings

Highlighted examples

Underlined and bold text important headings

Fully linked index (not complete)

Note that NO RULES WERE CHANGED and the only thing done was to make it more user friendly and easier on the eyes.

Good job, very nice.
But there is one thing that confuses / worries me.
You call the file : "Hyperlinked-RAW-7mAug2004"

But, RAW7m is one thing, and RAW7-aug-04 is another thing.

RAW7m is from 8th May 2003 and was Released at ADG's Website only in electronic format.
RAW7-august-04 is from August 2004 and was Released at ADG's Website only in electronic format.

Here there is a list of differences :
https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&pid=sites&srcid=ZGVmYXVsdGRvbWFpbnxmcmVuY2h3aWZwYWdlfGd4OjFmYzA1ZWZhYmI5YmU0ZDY

Which one have you taken as the basis of this file, RAW7m, or RAW7-aug-04 ?

Also, why was the link removed ?

Post #: 8
RE: Hyperlinked Rules - 10/18/2012 1:58:43 AM   
Missouri_Rebel

quote:

ORIGINAL: Froonp

Good job, very nice.
But there is one thing that confuses / worries me.
You call the file : "Hyperlinked-RAW-7mAug2004"

But, RAW7m is one thing, and RAW7-aug-04 is another thing.

RAW7m is from 8th May 2003 and was Released at ADG's Website only in electronic format.
RAW7-august-04 is from August 2004 and was Released at ADG's Website only in electronic format.

Here there is a list of differences :
https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&pid=sites&srcid=ZGVmYXVsdGRvbWFpbnxmcmVuY2h3aWZwYWdlfGd4OjFmYzA1ZWZhYmI5YmU0ZDY

Which one have you taken as the basis of this file, RAW7m, or RAW7-aug-04 ?

Well I wasn't really sure. These are the same rules as posted by Cad98 in this thread, post 6.

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3189818

Upon reviewing the docs you posted it appears they are in fact the RAW7-august-04 rules.

quote:

I received a PM from another forum member who stated they were the only person permitted to post the RaW rules and that he had an exclusive privilege in those regards. He asked that I remove them so I did. It appears, from another PM, that that was not necessarily correct and that his agreement was for another aspect apart from RaW.

I certainly was not trying to step on anyone's toes and assumed that since the rules were already posted to this forum in no less than 3 other places and, in fact, these are merely highlights and bookmarks of one such document, that there was no harm in sharing what I had been messing with.

I've posted the link again and if no one objects I will leave it up.

mo reb

(in reply to Froonp)
Post #: 9
RE: Hyperlinked Rules - 10/18/2012 7:52:52 AM   
Froonp

quote:

I received a PM from another forum member who stated they were the only person permitted to post the RaW rules and that he had an exclusive privilege in those regards. He asked that I remove them so I did. It appears, from another PM, that that was not necessarily correct and that his agreement was for another aspect apart from RaW.

I was unaware that we had such an eminence on our forums.

Post #: 10
RE: Hyperlinked Rules - 10/18/2012 4:20:41 PM   
abj9562

I attempted to keep this quiet and professional. However a statement claiming exclusivity is untrue. Therefore I must defend myself. I told him...
quote:

No disrespect intended here. But, did you get permission from ADG to do this. I ask because as far as I know I am the only one with permission from ADG and MATRIX to publish RAW and/or RAC online. If you do not have permission I am asking you to remove the link and remove the online file until you have recieved formal permission from ADG and MATRIX.

• Publishing RAC is against the ADG copyright per their website.
  • I am not an attorney but clearly this seems to violate ADG's rights in many respects.
  • No claim of exclusivity was made, nor was that term employed by myself in any respect.
  • In an effort to maintain my own rights I privately contacted Missouri_Rebel and suggested he remove the link until such permission was recieved from the appropriate companies.
  • Generally someone else did it is not an acceptable court defense as far as I know.
  • The copyright from ADG follows.

quote:

COPYRIGHT INFORMATION:

America in Flames, World in Flames and all their components and kits, in both their electronic and printed forms, are

Copyright 1985 ~ 2002, Australian Design Group.

Permission is hereby granted to copy these rules (if any such are available on this website) electronically for your

personal use only, provided that they are copied in their entirety (including this message). Any deletion or alteration

or on-selling, without the express written permission of Australian Design Group, is a violation of domestic and

international copyright law.

Please refer questions and comments to:

Australian Design Group
PO Box 6253
Los Osos, CA 93412 USA

@Patrice
Your sarcasm is uncalled for and calls into question your attitude.

*edit for spelling

< Message edited by abj9562 -- 10/18/2012 5:18:17 PM >

Integrity is what you do when nobody is watching.

(in reply to Froonp)
Post #: 11
RE: Hyperlinked Rules - 10/18/2012 6:32:27 PM   
Extraneous

quote:

quote:

I certainly was not trying to step on anyone's toes and assumed that since the rules were already posted to this forum in no less than 3 other places and, in fact, these are merely highlights and bookmarks of one such document, that there was no harm in sharing what I had been messing with.

I've posted the link again and if no one objects I will leave it up.

mo reb

It wasn't me that sent ya a PM (Whoot, not guilty for a change)

Patrice has to be sarcastic he's French.

J/k about Patrice having to be sarcastic.

Post #: 12
RE: Hyperlinked Rules - 10/18/2012 7:32:26 PM   
Cad908

abj9562,

I pointed Mo Reb to the file in question. As below, typing "WIF raw" into a google search will get you its location. As near as I can tell the website was last updated on June 10, 2005. The document on ADG's website does not include any of the illustrations or graphics, as was noted.

I did not cite the website's author, Patrik Manlig, as I do not know if he indeed created the revised RAW. The RAW was "published" on January 9, 2005 by someone who is speaks French, given the date header on the PDF. I do not know if the author of the revised RAW received ADG's permission to do so. However, it is clearly now in the public domain. The revised RAW clearly is an alteration to ADG's product, and if it found the document offensive should have had it taken down. So, does Mo Reb need the permission of ADG and the mystery author, or just ADG's? Does indexing a revised document constitute a "deletion or alteration or on-selling" ?

I am not trying to be a jerk about this, but I am an indirect party in the process. I respect Harry Rowland's product and would do nothing to infringe on his copyright.

-Rob

Attachment (1)

(in reply to abj9562)
Post #: 13
RE: Hyperlinked Rules - 10/18/2012 8:43:36 PM   
abj9562

As I told Mo-Reb after recieving clarification from Steve, the publication of RAW from its original form is between him and ADG/Harry Rowland. I have recieved specific permission from ADG and Matrix for the use of copyright materials (can not say why due to NDA). I respect that Mo_Reb intended this as a contribution to the community as did you. I would also ask you along with Mo-Reb to follow Harrys copyright notice in order to protect the game according to ADG's desires according to their copyright notice. After all why would we want to dilute the copyright protection afforded ADG for a game we enjoy.

As to your public domain assertation... I am no lawyer , but that seems to be a legal question subject to ADG's decision on how to defend its copyright.

(in reply to Cad908)
Post #: 14
RE: Hyperlinked Rules - 10/18/2012 8:47:17 PM   
Orm

This could be easily solved. Why not ask ADG and Harry for permission?

"You might very well think that; I couldn't possibly comment."

(in reply to abj9562)
Post #: 15
RE: Hyperlinked Rules - 10/18/2012 9:21:47 PM   
abj9562

EXACTLY!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Orm

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 16
RE: Hyperlinked Rules - 10/18/2012 9:55:58 PM   
Missouri_Rebel

Well I guess my redneck side is coming out but this is screwed!

First, I didn't mention your name when replying to Froonp about why I deleted the link. You stated that as far as you knew you were the only one permitted to post RaW, as stated by this 'as far as I know I am the only one with permission from ADG and MATRIX to publish RAW and/or RAC online.' I respected your unproven wishes and removed the link and kept your identity secret. That should be clear. Is it not?

You then tell me that you were wrong in another PM abj9562 so I reposted the link. I have done nothing to harm you. Heck, I even took your suggestion about purchasing a WiF product to play VASSAL with. Obviously I respect your position.

And Cad, I didn't mean to drag you through the mud. I really didn't. I appreciate your help in posting that link.

Forget it all. It's really not worth it. I buy a lot of games here at Matrix but have never seen a forum so eager to go after one another. I'm done. Keep with the wargame snobbery and here is your avatar pic back.

mo reb

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Missouri_Rebel -- 10/18/2012 9:58:00 PM >

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 17
RE: Hyperlinked Rules - 10/18/2012 10:31:08 PM   
paulderynck

I can see by your coat, my friend,
you're from the other side,
There's just one thing I got to know,
Can you tell me please, who won?

Paul

Post #: 18
RE: Hyperlinked Rules - 10/18/2012 11:06:38 PM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: paulderynck

Warspite1

What in the name of Bonaparte's balls is going on here??

England expects that every man will do his duty - Horatio Nelson 1805.

(in reply to paulderynck)
Post #: 19
RE: Hyperlinked Rules - 10/18/2012 11:36:50 PM   
abj9562

quote:

Well I guess my redneck side is coming out but this is screwed!

First, I didn't mention your name when replying to Froonp about why I deleted the link. You stated that as far as you knew you were the only one permitted to post RaW, as stated by this 'as far as I know I am the only one with permission from ADG and MATRIX to publish RAW and/or RAC online.' I respected your unproven wishes and removed the link and kept your identity secret. That should be clear. Is it not?

You then tell me that you were wrong in another PM abj9562 so I reposted the link. I have done nothing to harm you. Heck, I even took your suggestion about purchasing a WiF product to play VASSAL with. Obviously I respect your position.

I never stated you revealed me. You claimed I said I had exclusive rights which precludes other from its use. I do not have that. I requested you get permission to use someone else's work and remove the link until that permission was recieved.

The 2nd and 3rd PM's you are referring to.
quote:

Let me start by saying I am not a lawyer or attorney and am therefore only giving my slightly educated opinion. Putting copyrighted material online is considered an act of publishing in most countries. Therefore before placing any material online I asked for specific permission from both companies due to their contractual obligations to each other. I recieved permission from ADG and Matrix to use their copyrighted material with speciic permission for RAC and RAW in the building of a web site to be released slightly before game publication. A hyperlinked RAW and RAC was in the original design for the site because it is needed as you know.

I'm not trying to be a pain but you are stepping on some potential monetray income for MATRIX, ADG and myself. I can not demand the removal as I do not own the publishing rights to those materials. However, I am strongly suggesting you recieve permission before someone gets bothered.

quote:

Received clarification on RAW usage from Steve. Its usage is to be determined only by ADG. In his understanding they have been fairly loose in their protection of the copyright on RAW. So what you so with RAW is between ADG and yourself. However RAC is definitely off limits per my agreement with Matrix, ADG, and Steve. So if you repost the link it is your responsibility good or bad. Sorry for any confusion this may or may not hace caused.

I never said I was wrong just that use of RAW is between you and ADG not Matrix.
quote:

And Cad, I didn't mean to drag you through the mud. I really didn't. I appreciate your help in posting that link.

Forget it all. It's really not worth it. I buy a lot of games here at Matrix but have never seen a forum so eager to go after one another. I'm done. Keep with the wargame snobbery and here is your avatar pic back.

Cad no one is uset at you or Mo_Reb for that matter. I just asked him to get the appropriate permission needed according to ADG's copyright statement.

mo reb

To all others I am sorry this blew up. However, we do not have the right to take other people's work and do what we will. Making games, running websites and writing software for games is a business and must be treated as such. This is not about snobbery. It is about legal protections affored by law and custom throughout the world.

Post #: 20
RE: Hyperlinked Rules - 10/19/2012 1:00:09 AM   
Cad908

quote:

Mo Reb,

Do not worry about me. I am more confused / bemused by the whole discussion.

I would ask that you not let this ruin your view of WiF. I was much like you, a total newbie who has followed the game's development. When Steve asked for volunteers in March of 2011, I put my hand up and became a beta tester. I committed time to understanding the rules, still not done by the way, and my appreciation of the game only grew. It has been a great experience, and I have made some contributions to the team. I cannot wait for MWiF, as I will be able to really play it for the first time.

Please just take a step back from this and get back into the game. I think you will enjoy it, and hopefully enjoy MWiF when it is released.

-Rob

Post #: 21
RE: Hyperlinked Rules - 10/19/2012 5:08:26 AM   
Missouri_Rebel

abj9562 I can't fault you for taking the high road concerning someones intellectual property. I feel the same way about the fruits of anothers labor in all aspects of my life. Just look at the first of my sigs here. I've actually scanned every page of ASL 2nd Edition rules and ran them through an OCR program, converted them to pdf and did the same thing to them as I did with RaW. They are about 70% complete. I own all the originals and these are for personal use so I can both have the rules in an easy to read format while retaining the exact look and also to keep my rules in pristine condition. The originals are sealed in vacuum bags.

I have never, nor would I ever, give that PDF portfolio to anyone. Those rules have never been released and the various companies that have owned the rights have done a good job with their proliferation.

WiF on the other hand has been fairly public for a long time. I remember using up a new printer cartridge years ago when I thought I might get into the game. I never did but still have those rules put up somewhere. My point being that I would never intentionally do harm to a hobby that I enjoy more than any of the others I have. That is why I felt it was o.k. host the file I did.

Also, as for the snobbery comment it wasn't directed solely at you as it was more of a perception I had after seeing the two threads I start here become so heated. I'm just not comfortable arguing with strangers on a forum for a game. It all seems so petty. Besides, I respect Matrix and would rather leave a forum than be a contributor to any angst a potential customer might have while viewing such a thread. It was a little off base and I apologize for it.

And one more thing if I might. When I posted why I deleted the link I wasn't trying to make you seem as a jerk. I certainly do not want to create division in the test team. It was late and I was paraphrasing even if I still don't think I misrepresented you or your position. I'm a tradesman with an 8th grade education due to a death in the family so my command of the language isn't as good as it probably should be. At times I have trouble articulating exactly what I am feeling.

I'll take your advice and try to get permission to post the file if it is not too much trouble. Is there an easier way to get in touch with the powers that be?

mo reb

(in reply to Cad908)
Post #: 22
RE: Hyperlinked Rules - 10/19/2012 5:49:32 AM   
warspite1

quote:

Is there an easier way to get in touch with the powers that be?

mo reb

Warspite1

E-mail sent.

Post #: 23
RE: Hyperlinked Rules - 10/19/2012 9:19:39 AM   
abj9562

Mo-Reb, I too never meant for this to get out of hand. Misinterpertations will occur from time to time to all of us, myself included. Perhaps I was too touchy about the exclusive comment, but there is a distinction that could impact business decisions from other parties. However, I am glad this is in the past and hope to play a game with you on release.

* edit included the following after post

Oh and I would have sent contact info but Warspite seems to have done that already.

< Message edited by abj9562 -- 10/19/2012 9:21:21 AM >

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 24
RE: Hyperlinked Rules - 10/19/2012 1:43:28 PM   
Missouri_Rebel

I think I found the problem right here;

Attachment (1)

(in reply to abj9562)
Post #: 25
RE: Hyperlinked Rules - 10/19/2012 8:25:29 PM   
Missouri_Rebel

quote:

ORIGINAL: paulderynck

Say, can I have some of your purple berries?

quote:

ORIGINAL: Orm

I have sent Mr. Rowland an email asking for his permission to post such a file. I'll repost the file if he grants me the right to do so.

mo reb

< Message edited by Missouri_Rebel -- 10/19/2012 8:26:36 PM >

(in reply to paulderynck)
Post #: 26
RE: Hyperlinked Rules - 10/19/2012 9:06:20 PM   
Missouri_Rebel

quote:

ORIGINAL: warspite1

quote:

mo reb

Warspite1

E-mail sent.

Hmm Wwarspite when using that email you gave me it keeps coming back as 'Delivery Status Notification (Failure)'

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 27
RE: Hyperlinked Rules - 10/19/2012 9:13:29 PM   
warspite1

quote:

quote:

quote:

mo reb

Warspite1

E-mail sent.

Hmm Wwarspite when using that email you gave me it keeps coming back as 'Delivery Status Notification (Failure)'

þ
warspite1

Are you using the 2nd one I sent? - I will e-mail the address again now.

Post #: 28
RE: Hyperlinked Rules - 10/19/2012 9:46:41 PM   
Missouri_Rebel

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

mo reb

Warspite1

E-mail sent.

þ
warspite1

Are you using the 2nd one I sent? - I will e-mail the address again now.

No I wasn't. Thanks.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 29
RE: Hyperlinked Rules - 10/20/2012 3:25:51 AM   
SewerStarFish

I'm certainly confused too. Rules as Coded (RAC) and Rules as Written (RAW) are not the same. ADG has a link to it's RAW and adding hyper-links isn't a copyright infringement as no change or profit is made nor any loss to the holder. As a forum rule, since I don't them, we would have to adhere to both ADG's and Matrix's wishes for RaW but I'd bet ADG would be happy to take ownership of the hyper-linked rules.

I reiterate +1. If it's ++ungood then I hope ADG does it for its RAW link. I prefer to peruse the rules via my laptop when I have the game set-up.

Why choose the lesser evil: Vote Cthulhu.

Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> Hyperlinked Rules Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI