Matrix Games Forums

To End All Wars: Artillery Battle Academy 2: Eastern Front - End of Early Access Space Program Manager unveils its multiplayer modes Another update for Commander: The Great War!Distant Worlds: Universe gets a new updateDeal of the Week: Eagle Day to Bombing the Reich Advanced Tactics Gold is coming to SteamMatrix Games now speaks German!A little bit of history with To End All WarsBattle Academy 2 gets a release date!
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Z key search arcs

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Z key search arcs Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Z key search arcs - 10/11/2012 11:11:17 AM   
Chris H

Is it possible to display the all round search/asw range for all a/c set to search/asw but have no search arcs set?
Post #: 1
RE: Z key search arcs - 10/11/2012 1:59:08 PM   
cavalry

Yes that would be nice...

(in reply to Chris H)
Post #: 2
RE: Z key search arcs - 10/11/2012 2:05:49 PM   
Bullwinkle58

quote:

ORIGINAL: cavalry

Yes that would be nice...

Try Tracker with the Map option loaded. It's a different batch file to load.

The Moose

(in reply to cavalry)
Post #: 3
RE: Z key search arcs - 10/11/2012 2:09:44 PM   
LoBaron

The Z key displays search arcs based on the set start and end locations. If you do not set the ranges those limits do not exist and the vectors are randomly generated before the search phase. They dont exist before running the turnfile.

< Message edited by LoBaron -- 10/11/2012 2:10:27 PM >

S**t happens in war.

All hail the superior ones!

(in reply to Chris H)
Post #: 4
RE: Z key search arcs - 10/11/2012 2:19:17 PM   
CV 2

You can do it by off-setting 1 of the search arcs by 10 degrees. leave 1 at 0 and set the other to 350.

(in reply to LoBaron)
Post #: 5
RE: Z key search arcs - 10/11/2012 2:28:39 PM   
LoBaron

quote:

ORIGINAL: CV 2

You can do it by off-setting 1 of the search arcs by 10 degrees. leave 1 at 0 and set the other to 350.

Only this does not result in the same search behaviour.

One is random, the other starts at the set heading and the continues clock or counterclockwise depending on setting until running out of planes.

S**t happens in war.

(in reply to CV 2)
Post #: 6
RE: Z key search arcs - 10/11/2012 2:58:25 PM   
CV 2

Correct. I didnt say to leave it that way. Only for display purposes.

(in reply to LoBaron)
Post #: 7
RE: Z key search arcs - 10/11/2012 11:35:52 PM   
Chris H

quote:

ORIGINAL: LoBaron

The Z key displays search arcs based on the set start and end locations. If you do not set the ranges those limits do not exist and the vectors are randomly generated before the search phase. They dont exist before running the turnfile.

Surely the search arcs are 000-360 by default if no search arcs are set.

(in reply to LoBaron)
Post #: 8
RE: Z key search arcs - 10/12/2012 6:30:08 AM   
LoBaron

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chris H

quote:

No. This is what I tried to explain with post #6. With no search arc set the search is randomly generated at turn execution.

Imagine what happens if it was not: You have a PBY unit located on the WC set to default naval search with 12 planes available. Now, every search plane covers a 10° vector.
Result: You would know every miniscule detail of stuff happening in western California (or, 0 - 120°), but never have an idea about shipping on the Pacific coast. This would be ugly.
(...and UV and stock WitP naval search would never have worked...)

S**t happens in war.

(in reply to Chris H)
Post #: 9
RE: Z key search arcs - 10/12/2012 7:49:00 AM   
Chris H

quote:

quote:

quote:

No. This is what I tried to explain with post #6. With no search arc set the search is randomly generated at turn execution.

Imagine what happens if it was not: You have a PBY unit located on the WC set to default naval search with 12 planes available. Now, every search plane covers a 10° vector.
Result: You would know every miniscule detail of stuff happening in western California (or, 0 - 120°), but never have an idea about shipping on the Pacific coast. This would be ugly.
(...and UV and stock WitP naval search would never have worked...)

Off course, it is isn't it, I forgot that. Pity that but one way would be to display all a/c range rings this would give some idea.

(in reply to LoBaron)
Post #: 10
RE: Z key search arcs - 10/12/2012 8:27:08 AM   
GreyJoy

Well, even if i know how the search arcs work, recently i found some evidences that suggest they're not working perfectly as intended...

I try to explain what i mean:

I have 8 Helens at Miri. I set the ASW arch from 0 to 80 degrees. And, with the "show arcs" function, the screen displays exactly the same settings (so a search arc from 0 to 80°).

HOWEVER... when i watch the replay, an enemy sub gets spotted and attacked by Helens 1 Hex north-WEST of Miri, as if the search arcs were setted starting at 330 (in a clock movement).

Obviously i have no other helens around that could be able to reach that particular hex... so something seems to be not working

I had these results several times in several locations... didn't made any SANDBOX test, but recently i started to doubt about the precision of the search arcs function...

Does anybody else experience this behaviour?

(in reply to Chris H)
Post #: 11
RE: Z key search arcs - 10/12/2012 8:39:35 AM   
Banzan

If i remember right, units set for NavSearch or ASW always do a small range 360 degree search before performing orders (search arcs).

(in reply to GreyJoy)
Post #: 12
RE: Z key search arcs - 10/12/2012 9:07:35 AM   
LoBaron

quote:

ORIGINAL: Banzan

If i remember right, units set for NavSearch or ASW always do a small range 360 degree search before performing orders (search arcs).

Yes. This is valid for the 6 hexes surrounding the base of origin. It was mentioned by michael(?) or Don Bowen(?) a long time ago. A whiz like Alfred surely could dig up the link.

S**t happens in war.

(in reply to Banzan)
Post #: 13
RE: Z key search arcs - 10/12/2012 9:41:01 AM   
GreyJoy

quote:

Oh thank you! That explains everything!

(in reply to Banzan)
Post #: 14
RE: Z key search arcs - 10/13/2012 8:22:36 AM   
Chris H

quote:

Missed that one.

(in reply to Banzan)
Post #: 15
RE: Z key search arcs - 10/13/2012 3:27:25 PM   
richlove

@LoBaron: are the arcs truly random, or does the engine make sure not to route them over land? I wouldn't want San Diego based NavS looking 0-90 every so often!

(in reply to Chris H)
Post #: 16
RE: Z key search arcs - 10/13/2012 3:45:26 PM   
Dan Nichols

quote:

quote:

Yes. This is valid for the 6 hexes surrounding the base of origin. It was mentioned by michael(?) or Don Bowen(?) a long time ago. A whiz like Alfred surely could dig up the link.

I thought it was a 4 hex range, but I am old and feeble minded.

(in reply to LoBaron)
Post #: 17
RE: Z key search arcs - 10/13/2012 4:18:46 PM   
LoBaron

quote:

ORIGINAL: richlove

@LoBaron: are the arcs truly random, or does the engine make sure not to route them over land? I wouldn't want San Diego based NavS looking 0-90 every so often!

Truly random. If you don´t like your to Cats go on desert runs better set search arcs.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dan Nichols

quote:

quote:

4? Sounds a bit high, but I only have an old and feeble mind as collateral as well. I did a search for the post, but came up empty.
(PS: I personally and passionately hate the forum search engine)

S**t happens in war.

(in reply to richlove)
Post #: 18
RE: Z key search arcs - 10/13/2012 5:02:24 PM   
Dan Nichols

In this link http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3056441&mpage=1&key=ASW+AND+Range� Alfred makes reference to the 4 hex default Naval Search range, with another reference included. Unsure about whether ASW is 2 or 4 hex, 360 search pattern, but I think it is also 4 hexes.

< Message edited by Dan Nichols -- 10/13/2012 5:05:43 PM >

(in reply to LoBaron)
Post #: 19
RE: Z key search arcs - 10/13/2012 5:27:18 PM   
witpqs

quote:

quote:

quote:

I concur with 4 hexes.

Intel Monkey: https://sites.google.com/site/staffmonkeys/

(in reply to Dan Nichols)
Post #: 20
RE: Z key search arcs - 10/13/2012 6:06:55 PM   
Chris H

quote:

ORIGINAL: witpqs

quote:

quote:

quote:

I concur with 4 hexes.

Please confirm that any search/ASW always does a 360 4 hex range search prior to any set manually even if the search range of the a/c maybe less than 4 hexes?

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 21
RE: Z key search arcs - 10/13/2012 6:19:02 PM   
Dan Nichols

I am not connected in any way to the development of this game, so I can not confirm or deny anything. I only point out what I see happening and direct you to other threads that I think have some relevant information.

(in reply to Chris H)
Post #: 22
RE: Z key search arcs - 10/13/2012 6:58:49 PM   
witpqs

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

I concur with 4 hexes.

Please confirm that any search/ASW always does a 360 4 hex range search prior to any set manually even if the search range of the a/c maybe less than 4 hexes?

I can only confirm what I remember the developers posting. As for aircraft that have range less than 4 hexes, I have no idea.

(in reply to Chris H)
Post #: 23
RE: Z key search arcs - 10/13/2012 9:27:09 PM   
Chris H

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

I concur with 4 hexes.

I can only confirm what I remember the developers posting. As for aircraft that have range less than 4 hexes, I have no idea.

Read the post and it does seem there is something in it but is it true?

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 24
RE: Z key search arcs - 10/13/2012 9:58:36 PM   
witpqs

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

I concur with 4 hexes.

I don't know.

(in reply to Chris H)
Post #: 25
RE: Z key search arcs - 10/13/2012 10:31:09 PM   
LoBaron

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

I concur with 4 hexes.

How about trying to find out if it is important to you? Actually this is a test setup which is pretty easy to replicate.

S**t happens in war.

(in reply to Chris H)
Post #: 26
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Z key search arcs Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI