TF max reaction

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

Chris21wen

TF max reaction

Post by Chris21wen »

Why are sub and PT TF restricted to a max reaction of one hex?
Bullwinkle58

RE: TF max reaction

Post by Bullwinkle58 »

ORIGINAL: Chris H

When the game shipped subs had a max reaction of 6--240 miles. This led to subs galloping around the map, leaving patrol areas, as well as a lot of sinkings of both targets and subs. This was changed to one hex in an early patch. The logic is that subs have very short horizons due to their hull structures, and no OTH search capability. They don't have planes to search or screen ships. PT boats the same.

For subs in particular the 1-hex change helps near shallow water and harbors. Before it was much easier for a sub to pursue into either and die.
The Moose
Chris21wen

Post by Chris21wen »

ORIGINAL: Bullwinkle58

When the game shipped subs had a max reaction of 6--240 miles. This led to subs galloping around the map, leaving patrol areas, as well as a lot of sinkings of both targets and subs. This was changed to one hex in an early patch. The logic is that subs have very short horizons due to their hull structures, and no OTH search capability. They don't have planes to search or screen ships. PT boats the same.

For subs in particular the 1-hex change helps near shallow water and harbors. Before it was much easier for a sub to pursue into either and die.

I think I've been misunderstanding Max reaction. I thougth it was detection range and reaction distance was 1 hex. I do not think I've ever noticed a TF reacting more than one hex, but there again I've assumed 1 hex.

General what you said makes sense and I must have missed the reason when it was patched. Two thing, late war subs had radar so the detection range would be greater and if detected at say morning/forenoon watch could increase from cruise speed (10kts) to full (20kts) to close the distance and maybe close 110-120 miles in 10 hrs . Any further and you would be close to going into the next day. Even a fast moving TF cruising at 20kts would only increase to 30Kts, again 10kts so the same distance is the same. Oh! and some Japanese subs do have a/c.
packerpete

Post by packerpete »

I think you would be an extremely lucky sub commander to get an 80 nautical mile in all directions radar horizon, because the subs radar antenna was not mounted on an extendable mast but was mounted very low on the hull. Not to mention that the antenna was probably getting more than just a little wave action in all but the calmest of weather conditions. I will not talk about corrosion problems either.
Bullwinkle58

Post by Bullwinkle58 »

I think I've been misunderstanding Max reaction. I thougth it was detection range and reaction distance was 1 hex. I do not think I've ever noticed a TF reacting more than one hex, but there again I've assumed 1 hex.

ASW TFs in particualr can benefit from big reaction ranges.

General what you said makes sense and I must have missed the reason when it was patched. Two thing, late war subs had radar so the detection range would be greater

Generally still inside one hex. 40 NM across.
The Moose
Chris21wen

Post by Chris21wen »

ORIGINAL: Bullwinkle58

ASW TFs in particualr can benefit from big reaction ranges.

General what you said makes sense and I must have missed the reason when it was patched. Two thing, late war subs had radar so the detection range would be greater

Generally still inside one hex. 40 NM across.

Again I agree subs are fine, but my main point has been missed. Can a fast moving TF cruising at 20kts move 6 hexes (250 miles), well yes by increasing to 30kts but it would take 24hrs which would take any contact into the next day. No surface combat but air combat is possible. Should surface TF also be restricted in max range say to 3 or 4 hexes?
Sardaukar

Post by Sardaukar »

These things were debated quite a lot when game shipped. Subs were really running amok...I had US subs to follow IJ TF from Tokyo to Attu I. during 2 day turn..they were just way overpowered.

As with surface combat, there would be nothing way too special for Surface Combat TF to sprint 6 hexes (240 nm), since phase (half turn) is 12 hrs and it'd be just 20 knot sailing to achieve it. Surface TFs have never reacted too much.
"To meaningless French Idealism, Liberty, Fraternity and Equality...we answer with German Realism, Infantry, Cavalry and Artillery" -Prince von Bülov, 1870-

Chris21wen

Post by Chris21wen »

ORIGINAL: Sardaukar

As with surface combat, there would be nothing way too special for Surface Combat TF to sprint 6 hexes (240 nm), since phase (half turn) is 12 hrs and it'd be just 20 knot sailing to achieve it. Surface TFs have never reacted too much.

This is why I thought it was detection range having never noticed how far they went and thinking it was one hex. Now since I posted this I have seen Japanese surface TF react three hexes which is reasonable.

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”