Matrix Games Forums

To End All Wars: Mountain InfantryPandora: Eclipse of Nashira Announced! Deal of the Week: Command Ops goes half price!New Fronts are opening up for Commander: The Great WarCharacters of World War 1Sign of for the Pike and Shot Beta!More Games are Coming to Steam! Return to the Moon on October 31st! Commander: The Great War iPad Wallpapers Generals of the Great War
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Turned 65 Today :)

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Turned 65 Today :) Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Turned 65 Today :) - 10/10/2012 10:23:49 AM   
rhondabrwn

Yep, hit the magic number... the big 65!

In Arizona, the driver's licenses no longer have to be renewed until you hit 65, so I had to present myself today to prove I was still reasonably sane and get my license renewed until age 70, when I will have to prove my competency once again LOL

On the bright side, they took a pretty good picture that looks younger than the old expired license :)

Attachment (1)

Love & Peace,

Far Dareis Mai

Want Navajo Nation Photos? Go to:
http://fardareismai.piczo.com/?cr=4&rfm=y
Post #: 1
RE: Turned 65 Today :) - 10/10/2012 10:43:03 AM   
JudgeDredd

Congratulatiosn Rhondalynn (couldn't help myself)

Many happy returns and may you live to survive many more competency checks

JudgeDredd
I AM the Law!

(in reply to rhondabrwn)
Post #: 2
RE: Turned 65 Today :) - 10/10/2012 11:54:33 AM   
Orm

Congratulations on your big day.

Yep. That is a good picture. My experience is that they take the worst possible picture and use it on the license. It is so good that I almost wonder if some bribery was involved.

Snowflake sounds like a truly magical place. I suppose it is since the pictures you've previously posted shows a magical landscape.

Belli dura despicio

(in reply to JudgeDredd)
Post #: 3
RE: Turned 65 Today :) - 10/10/2012 12:40:49 PM   
Yogi the Great

quote:

ORIGINAL: rhondabrwn

In Arizona, the driver's licenses no longer have to be renewed until you hit 65, so I had to present myself today to prove I was still reasonably sane and get my license renewed until age 70, when I will have to prove my competency once again LOL

Whatever you do DO NOT admit that you belong to this forum. It will be an automatic finding of not being competent.

Happy Birthday!

(in reply to rhondabrwn)
Post #: 4
RE: Turned 65 Today :) - 10/10/2012 12:54:06 PM   
wodin

Happy Birthday love. Wish you many more.

My Tactical wargame facebook page.

https://www.facebook.com/Tacticalwargame

(in reply to Yogi the Great)
Post #: 5
RE: Turned 65 Today :) - 10/10/2012 1:24:05 PM   
junk2drive

I was surprised to find out about the 65 rule when I moved here. Then I received a letter this summer stating that my picture was 12 years old and I needed to get a new license for that. Filled out the form, name, address, eye color, hair color... hmmmm guess I better put gray now.

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 6
RE: Turned 65 Today :) - 10/10/2012 2:12:32 PM   
Josh

Happy B-day Rhonda!

(in reply to junk2drive)
Post #: 7
RE: Turned 65 Today :) - 10/10/2012 3:08:17 PM   
Titanwarrior89

Happy Birthday and I am right behind you, so don't stop or ill pass you up

"Before Guadalcanal the enemy advanced at his pleasure. After Guadalcanal, he retreated at ours".

"Mama, There's Rabbits in the Garden"

(in reply to Josh)
Post #: 8
RE: Turned 65 Today :) - 10/10/2012 3:26:08 PM   
Jevhaddah

Happy Birthday... yoo look smokin.......

Oops here comes the wife...

Scroll up...

scroll up...

scroll up..

Cheers

Jev

I am really quite mad yoo know!

(in reply to Titanwarrior89)
Post #: 9
RE: Turned 65 Today :) - 10/10/2012 3:31:36 PM   
Empire101

Happy Birthday Rhonda!!

You've got one of the coolest avatars on the forum.

What is it from?

< Message edited by Empire101 -- 10/10/2012 5:47:12 PM >

(in reply to Jevhaddah)
Post #: 10
RE: Turned 65 Today :) - 10/10/2012 4:33:14 PM   
radic202

Félicitations Madame!

It is much harder to think about doing something than actually doing it!

(in reply to Empire101)
Post #: 11
RE: Turned 65 Today :) - 10/10/2012 4:53:48 PM   
Rick

Happy birthday Rhonda!

Rick

(in reply to radic202)
Post #: 12
RE: Turned 65 Today :) - 10/10/2012 6:58:01 PM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Empire101

warspite1

But not THE coolest

Many happy returns of the day Rhonda! Are you planning any special celebration?

England expects that every man will do his duty - Horatio Nelson 1805.

(in reply to Empire101)
Post #: 13
RE: Turned 65 Today :) - 10/10/2012 9:53:52 PM   
rhondabrwn

quote:

Happy Birthday Rhonda!!

What is it from?

Wow! Thanks :)

It is an Aiel Spear Maiden from Robert Jordan's epic "Wheel of Time" novels. The Aiel are a great warrior race and include a sisterhood called the Maidens of the Spear (or "Far Dareis Mai"). These female warriors are absolutely ferocious in battle, using a short stabbing spear (similar to what Shaka's Zulu warriors used) and a knife (no swords). They are also great archers and stealthy like Ninjas. When they kill, they veil their faces so when an Aiel veils... look out... someone is going to die.

I was always a bit leery of using this avatar because I feared that some would think the veil meant I was an Islamic Jihadist and this avatar has nothing to do with Islam or the Islamic custom of women veiling themselves.

I had considered changing it, but now I'll definitely keep it!

Love & Peace,

Far Dareis Mai

(in reply to Empire101)
Post #: 14
RE: Turned 65 Today :) - 10/10/2012 10:07:36 PM   
rhondabrwn

quote:

ORIGINAL: warspite1

quote:

warspite1

But not THE coolest

Many happy returns of the day Rhonda! Are you planning any special celebration?

Yes, I like your avatar and Warspite I have always thought "Warspite" to be the coolest of names for a combat vessel :)

No celebrations... gave the animals a few treats Read emails and Facebook postings from my friends around the world (and here, of course). Getting the license renewal was a bit special as I don't go off the ranch much... I'm the ultimate hermitess! My best friends in Snowflake are the crew at Subway and the checkers at the grocery store A huge shift from teaching school and being surrounded by hundreds of students every day, but I've always been a solitary person at heart. Like Captain Kirk, I believe I will die alone (unless my true love appears at last, but after two marriages I've kinda given up on that).

However, I'm working to keep that date with death very, very far into the future! I can't die till I've actually played every game I own

Thanks to everyone for the birthday wishes, you guys are also among my best friends in the world!

Love & Peace,

Far Dareis Mai

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 15
RE: Turned 65 Today :) - 10/10/2012 10:08:59 PM   
rhondabrwn

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jevhaddah

Happy Birthday... yoo look smokin.......

Oops here comes the wife...

Scroll up...

scroll up...

scroll up..

Cheers

Jev

Ah.. thanks Jev!

Love & Peace,

Far Dareis Mai

(in reply to Jevhaddah)
Post #: 16
RE: Turned 65 Today :) - 10/10/2012 10:20:04 PM   
rhondabrwn

quote:

ORIGINAL: junk2drive

I was surprised to find out about the 65 rule when I moved here. Then I received a letter this summer stating that my picture was 12 years old and I needed to get a new license for that. Filled out the form, name, address, eye color, hair color... hmmmm guess I better put gray now.

I have to say that the AZ Dept of Transportation is one of the really great things about Arizona. You can do so much at Service Arizona website and my experiences at the license branches have very positive. Back in Indiana the Bureau of Motor Vehicles was controlled by the party holding the governorship and was a political patronage relic (don't know if it's changed, been gone for 10 years) and the workers were often really snotty and rude, would stand around drinking coffee and eating donuts while people waited for hours to get the simplest things done. My experience yesterday was very positive, despite the fact that they were dealing with glitchy computers and a melt down of their "take a number" machine. They never lost their cool or their tempers and the driver test guy they pressed into service who did my license was a total sweetheart (though a bit geeky) and seemed enraptured by my charms

The old guy who was ahead of me in line was rather frightening though... the thought of him driving a car when he couldn't seem to understand anything he was told and could barely communicate was really scary. I would hope that I will have the capability to give up my truck keys when I get that bad!

As for going gray... hair color isn't just for women my dear!

Love & Peace,

Far Dareis Mai

(in reply to junk2drive)
Post #: 17
RE: Turned 65 Today :) - 10/10/2012 10:22:21 PM   
rhondabrwn

quote:

ORIGINAL: Yogi the Great

quote:

Whatever you do DO NOT admit that you belong to this forum. It will be an automatic finding of not being competent.

Happy Birthday!

Nah, Yogi, membership in this forum imbues all with a patina of intelligence, competency, and intellectual prowess!

Love & Peace,

Far Dareis Mai

(in reply to Yogi the Great)
Post #: 18
RE: Turned 65 Today :) - 10/10/2012 10:31:43 PM   
rhondabrwn

quote:

ORIGINAL: Orm

Congratulations on your big day.

Yep. That is a good picture. My experience is that they take the worst possible picture and use it on the license. It is so good that I almost wonder if some bribery was involved.

Snowflake sounds like a truly magical place. I suppose it is since the pictures you've previously posted shows a magical landscape.

The guy told me that they were "known for their highlights" because of the way the lighting is set up at their camera. Gives it a pretty cool effect, I think. I've had pretty good luck with ID pictures for quite a few years now. Wish I could do as well, but hand held head shots or in a mirror do not a pretty picture make

I used to have a 35 mm camera with a bulb attachment with a 20 foot hose. I could set the camera up on a tripod, put the bulb under my foot, and then snap away. My digital camera has no such facility and the self timer is awkward to use. Does anyone know if there are any good quality digital cameras that have a remote capability on their shutter release?

And yea, it's pretty cool where I live. It's technically high desert but I'm 70% wooded (Cedar) and in a small valley which gives me extra privacy. I can walk up to the top of the ridge and see for 50 miles though. My ranch was a very, very lucky find.

Love & Peace,

Far Dareis Mai

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 19
RE: Turned 65 Today :) - 10/10/2012 10:46:19 PM   
Missouri_Rebel

Happy Birthday. I want you to know that you are a very upbeat and positive, strong woman whose post I enjoy reading. I true blessing for these forums.

mo reb

**Those who rob Peter to pay Paul can always count on the support of Paul
**A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have-Gerald Ford

(in reply to rhondabrwn)
Post #: 20
RE: Turned 65 Today :) - 10/10/2012 10:50:58 PM   
rhondabrwn

quote:

ORIGINAL: Missouri_Rebel

Happy Birthday. I want you to know that you are a very upbeat and positive, strong woman whose post I enjoy reading. I true blessing for these forums.

mo reb

Thank you Reb :)

Guess I need to be posting more... been kinda absent of late

Love & Peace,

Far Dareis Mai

(in reply to Missouri_Rebel)
Post #: 21
RE: Turned 65 Today :) - 10/10/2012 11:07:07 PM   
Lieste

I can't offer any advice on 'good quality digital cameras' ~ I'm hopelessly out of date, but AFAIK almost all digital SLR or non-compact cameras should come with a basic remote function. (I know that the Pentax E20N and Olympus E300 both did/do though I think I never used the E300 one ~ it should be lurking in a box somewhere but not sure where ;)

I doubt it is a function that has been removed from more recent similar prosumer models.

(in reply to rhondabrwn)
Post #: 22
RE: Turned 65 Today :) - 10/10/2012 11:14:42 PM   
Lieste

My hair colour has been increasingly 'greying' over the past 23 years. At least now I can pretend it is 'normal' though ~ just about to get to the right side of 40. A grey beard at 18 is a bit ~ odd.

I'm not allowed/supposed to use colouring products as most can cause vitiligo depigmentation to spread, and I'm down to about 60% by area already - worse depigmented skin tends to support even higher proportions of grey hair increasing the 'need' for dyeing

On the upside, with so much exposed skin depigmented, I now look fairly even toned, though a bit pale-faced.

(in reply to rhondabrwn)
Post #: 23
RE: Turned 65 Today :) - 10/10/2012 11:43:42 PM   
rhondabrwn

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lieste

My hair colour has been increasingly 'greying' over the past 23 years. At least now I can pretend it is 'normal' though ~ just about to get to the right side of 40. A grey beard at 18 is a bit ~ odd.

I'm not allowed/supposed to use colouring products as most can cause vitiligo depigmentation to spread, and I'm down to about 60% by area already - worse depigmented skin tends to support even higher proportions of grey hair increasing the 'need' for dyeing

On the upside, with so much exposed skin depigmented, I now look fairly even toned, though a bit pale-faced.

Nothing wrong with distinguished grey on a man :) I love "salt and pepper" personally and think Sean Connery got sexier as he aged! Couldn't stand him back in his "James Bond" days LOL

Love & Peace,

Far Dareis Mai

(in reply to Lieste)
Post #: 24
RE: Turned 65 Today :) - 10/11/2012 1:13:10 AM   
Empire101

quote:

Wow! Thanks :)

It is an Aiel Spear Maiden from Robert Jordan's epic "Wheel of Time" novels. The Aiel are a great warrior race and include a sisterhood called the Maidens of the Spear (or "Far Dareis Mai"). These female warriors are absolutely ferocious in battle, using a short stabbing spear (similar to what Shaka's Zulu warriors used) and a knife (no swords). They are also great archers and stealthy like Ninjas. When they kill, they veil their faces so when an Aiel veils... look out... someone is going to die.

I was always a bit leery of using this avatar because I feared that some would think the veil meant I was an Islamic Jihadist and this avatar has nothing to do with Islam or the Islamic custom of women veiling themselves.

I had considered changing it, but now I'll definitely keep it!

I did'nt even consider Islam when I first saw it...it looked like a picture from one of those 'Ripping Yarns' books that were popular in Victorian times, full of exciting adventures in far of places!!

An avatar with a sense of mystery and adventure.
Great Stuff!!

Our lives may be more boring than those who lived in apocalyptic times,
but being bored is greatly preferable to being prematurely dead because of some ideological fantasy.
- Michael Burleigh

(in reply to rhondabrwn)
Post #: 25
RE: Turned 65 Today :) - 10/11/2012 4:46:40 AM   
SLAAKMAN

Happy Birthday Rhonda!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=40K2S0-5Xo0

Germany's unforgivable crime before the Second World War was her attempt to extricate her economy from the world's trading system and to create her own exchange mechanism which would deny world finance its opportunity to profit.
— Winston Churchill

(in reply to Empire101)
Post #: 26
RE: Turned 65 Today :) - 10/11/2012 6:51:03 AM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Missouri_Rebel

.....I want you to know that you are a very upbeat and positive, strong woman whose post I enjoy reading. I true blessing for these forums.

mo reb
warspite1

+1

England expects that every man will do his duty - Horatio Nelson 1805.

(in reply to Missouri_Rebel)
Post #: 27
RE: Turned 65 Today :) - 10/11/2012 9:31:22 AM   
ilovestrategy

Happy Birthday Rhonda! I love how you live in a desert state but live in a town called Snowflake.

< Message edited by ilovestrategy -- 10/11/2012 9:32:15 AM >

After 16 years, Civ II still has me in it's clutches LOL!!!
Now CIV IV has me in it's evil clutches!

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 28
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Turned 65 Today :) Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote