Matrix Games Forums

A new update for Piercing Fortress EuropaNew screenshots for War in the West!Pike & Shot is now available!Server Maintenance Battle Academy 2 gets updated!Deal of the Week: Advanced Tactics Gold Ask Buzz Aldrin!Pike & Shot gets Release Date and Twitch Session!Deal of the Week Espana 1936War in the West coming in December!
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Battle of the Roadblocks

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command Ops Series >> After Action Reports >> RE: Battle of the Roadblocks Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Battle of the Roadblocks - 10/31/2012 8:45:32 PM   
Winstons

Day 3 1pm-4pm

The enemy attack in the south is beginning to peter out. Withering fire has decimated and thrown back most enemy units, although in desperation they continue to fling themselves forward – my line holds solid, and my armoured counterattack has halted the spearhead of their assault. Enemy units are seen disengaging and slipping further north, attempting to come at Bastogne from the north or escape off the map.

My roadblock in the far north has unfortunately been decimated – too late I give the order to pull back, and massed ranks of Panthers rout my units. My single squadron of Shermans is knocked out one by one, but they have bought vital time in delaying the enemy escape. The enemy assault has failed, and he has no time to enact any other plans. The battle is drawing to a close.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Winstons)
Post #: 31
RE: Battle of the Roadblocks - 10/31/2012 8:46:14 PM   
Winstons

Day 3, 6pm, After Action Report

A decisive victory! Very pleased with this, especially as things looked quite hairy during the 2nd day. The enemy was driven back from Bastogne and has withdrawn to lick his wounds. He has managed to get some of units off the map, but not enough. I have managed 100vps to his 43. Casualties are about equal. My wall of paratroopers around Bastogne held firm.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Winstons)
Post #: 32
RE: Battle of the Roadblocks - 10/31/2012 8:46:41 PM   
Winstons

Conclusions.

1 - The early delaying actions by Task Force Rose, combined with heavy usage of artillery on his columns, played a key role in causing a knock on effect of delaying the enemy, forcing him to march through the night, resulting in exhaustion by the 3rd day, blunting his attack.

2 – The enemy movement was however very rapid, once he got going! I imagined he would drive right up the main highway, getting blocked at each defensive point. However, the AI was clever, and felt no problem in completely disregarding a low value objective and going straight past it if it was heavily guarded. I did not expect him to side slip so quickly cross country. Only about half of my roadblocks were directly engaged – the rest had to withdraw before they were surrounded and attacked from the rear.

3 – The enemy objective of trying to get troops off the map in the north west was unexpected. An important point to note that you will not always know what the enemy is trying to achieve from the game briefing. You have to keep your eyes open with scout elements, and see what his units are doing in-game – pretty much like in real life!

4 – The one big mistake of the AI was trying to take both of his big objectives. Upon finishing, I loaded up the game from the German position. He had two main 60 vp objectives – Bastogne and getting his units off the map. Clearly he tried to achieve both, but failed. In his place, I possibly would have focused exclusively on taking Bastogne first, then exiting my units towards the end of the third day, once Bastogne was secure (or at least contested!).

5 – My screening forces worked very well as my eyes and ears at the many different road junctions. Platoons of engineers and stuart tanks formed a vital role as intelligence on enemy movement. Without them I would have missed much of his advance around my roadblocks.

6 – Harassing artillery fire along his movement routes significantly slowed him down, even at slow ROF.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Winstons -- 10/31/2012 8:52:49 PM >

(in reply to Winstons)
Post #: 33
RE: Battle of the Roadblocks - 10/31/2012 9:03:56 PM   
wodin

Really enjoyed your AAR...Great stuff...

Are you planning on getting the COTA expansion? If so alot of those scenarios would make great AAR's..

< Message edited by wodin -- 10/31/2012 9:04:53 PM >

My Tactical wargame facebook page.

https://www.facebook.com/Tacticalwargame

(in reply to Winstons)
Post #: 34
RE: Battle of the Roadblocks - 11/1/2012 10:23:44 AM   
phoenix

Great stuff. Nice AAR. Thanks. Really enjoyed reading it. It's the telling of the story that really brings the game to life, I think, and you told it well. We should all do more AARs, maybe - it forces your imagination into gear.

Maybe it's a good job you didn't know he had a northern exit objective. It split his forces, but it would have forced a slightly different plan on you too, perhaps, forcing some kind of defensive split, which might have let him slip into Bastogne, or at least get nearer - it might have put a nice big hole in the middle, even, if you'd known (though on this map the Axis doesn't have any room to get behind Bastogne, really)..... Interesting.

< Message edited by phoenix -- 11/1/2012 10:24:30 AM >

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 35
RE: Battle of the Roadblocks - 11/1/2012 2:18:10 PM   
wodin

Doing AAR's really is a great way to get immersed and your imagination to flow.

(in reply to phoenix)
Post #: 36
RE: Battle of the Roadblocks - 11/1/2012 8:56:14 PM   
gabeeg

That was a well written and explained AAR, very enjoyable Thanks! ...I look forward to more.

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 37
RE: Battle of the Roadblocks - 11/1/2012 9:27:28 PM   
Winstons

quote:

ORIGINAL: wodin

Really enjoyed your AAR...Great stuff...

Are you planning on getting the COTA expansion? If so alot of those scenarios would make great AAR's..

I've played a bit of COTA - but really interested in the scenarios of BOTB at the moment.

Glad you all liked the AAR. It took quite a bit of time to finish because I have a habit of running the whole game at the slowest speed, sitting back and watching things unfold with a beer!

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 38
RE: Battle of the Roadblocks - 11/1/2012 9:54:35 PM   
wodin

I try an play at a slow speed..I find you end up appreciating the game more than if you rush through it. When I have played a scenario at a fast speed it leaves me unfulfilled.

(in reply to Winstons)
Post #: 39
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command Ops Series >> After Action Reports >> RE: Battle of the Roadblocks Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI