Matrix Games Forums

More Games are Coming to Steam! Deal of the Week: Combat Command Return to the Moon on October 31st! Commander: The Great War iPad Wallpapers Generals of the Great WarDeal of the Week Panzer CorpsNew Strategy Titles Join the FamilyTablet Version of Qvadriga gets new patchNew Command Ops: Battles from the Bulge UpdateCommand gets a huge update!
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Alternative Start Campaigns

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Scenario Design and Modding >> Alternative Start Campaigns Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Alternative Start Campaigns - 10/7/2012 2:18:24 AM   
Moose

I started messing around with WITP stock again today, to look at the campaigns that start later in the war. Really miss the Campaign 42A, 42B, 43, and 44 from stock WITP. I especially like playing as the Allies for most of the war but leave out the first few months where all you get to do is try to minimize how many folks get killed.

Ideally, I'd like to see a WITP2 with an easier to handle interface too. This games seems to be more difficult than necessary to play.
Post #: 1
RE: Alternative Start Campaigns - 10/7/2012 6:14:53 PM   
Moose

Would like to see what other campaigns folks would like to see. As I mentioned I'd like to see more Grand Campaigns with advanced start dates. I like the feel of doing the whole war, but there are parts I'd like to avoid rehashing.

As far as a new WITP, I'd mainly like to see an easier to master interface. But it would also be cool to see information about various loadouts being used by the aircraft. Not sure it'd make much difference in outcomes at this scale, a loadout of rockets instead of 2x1000lb bombs, but it'd be cool to know just the same. I might be cool with the AI deciding what loadouts as long as I knew what they were, which I guess we do now, but the diversity of loadouts is pretty seriously limited now.

On the interface I've been tempted by simpler wargames, only to find out upon further research that they've sacrificed detail too far. One of the things I love about WITP is how you get a feeling of aircraft upgrades impacting how events are unfolding, something that the lack of detail in the simpler games denies us to a great degree.

Nicer graphics would be nice too, but at the same time I think these days many developers waste a lot of time getting graphics up to an unnecessary level.

Anyhow, would love to hear others opinions on what would make new and interesting campaigns and what might make for an interesting WITP2. What do y'all think?

(in reply to Moose)
Post #: 2
RE: Alternative Start Campaigns - 10/19/2012 8:24:05 PM   
Lokasenna

One of my favorite features from my previous WW2 Pacific game (PTO 2!) was the ability to choose from 3 campaign start dates - 11/30/41, 5/27/42, and 3/31/44. After a while, the only way to get any sort of challenge out of the game was to play as Japan in 1944 or 1941, or as the US in 1942, with various difficulty settings.

To me, that is the biggest hole in WITP:AE. A campaign start just prior to Midway (5/27/42...) or Coral Sea, or one that's just after the conclusion of the Guadalcanal campaign (early 1943), would be ideal.

While it's interesting to rehash the early phases of the war, particularly as Japan and playing around with different offensive strategies, it can be just as tedious as it is for the Allies. It would be nice to start 4-6 months in, with the historical Japanese expansion already reached and with the Allies finally organized for war. I once opened up the Editor to try to give it a go myself, but decided that the interface wasn't intuitive enough for me to bang it out in a week or two, so I gave up.

(in reply to Moose)
Post #: 3
RE: Alternative Start Campaigns - 10/19/2012 10:24:44 PM   
Andy Mac

It's just so much work to do I mean the original grand campaign took months for orbit alone never mind ai

(in reply to Lokasenna)
Post #: 4
RE: Alternative Start Campaigns - 10/19/2012 10:49:11 PM   
Moose

Exactly. Ideal would be a start time somewhere between Coral Sea and end of Gualdacanal with my preferred being right at the beginning of Gualdacanal.

For a smaller campaign the one that seems missing to me is an enitre Solomons campaign; starting at Gualdacanal up through Bougainville.

(in reply to Andy Mac)
Post #: 5
RE: Alternative Start Campaigns - 10/20/2012 12:34:27 AM   
el cid again

Mifune is working on a May 42 scenario, historical. Not quite ready for play but you might want to look at it. Scenario 92 I think.

(in reply to Moose)
Post #: 6
RE: Alternative Start Campaigns - 10/20/2012 12:47:43 AM   
Moose

Where are these scenarios held also? I get the picture there are scenarios out there that I have no idea where to find.

(in reply to el cid again)
Post #: 7
RE: Alternative Start Campaigns - 10/20/2012 9:10:58 AM   
Alfred

Read this thread for non official scenarios.

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3088504&mpage=1&key=scenario%2Csite�

Alfred

(in reply to Moose)
Post #: 8
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Scenario Design and Modding >> Alternative Start Campaigns Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI