Matrix Games Forums

Hell is Approaching Deal of the Week Battle Academy Battle Academy 2 Out now!Legions of Steel ready for betaBattle Academy 2 gets trailers and Steam page!Deal of the Week Germany at WarSlitherine Group acquires Shenandoah StudioNew information and screenshots for Pike & ShotDeal of the Week Pride of NationsTo End All Wars Releasing on Steam!
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Just another Steam rant I suppose...

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: Just another Steam rant I suppose... Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Just another Steam rant I suppose... - 10/19/2012 3:25:14 PM   
Rtwfreak

If you'd have registered those cd keys in the Members section you would have been able to download all your games. So in this case like you say it's my fault for how I act on Steam or EA it's your fault for not registering your cd keys in the Members section and thus you wouldn't have seen the shrugged shoulders and too bads. So your fault not Matrixgames.

I have "Never" had an issue with Matrixgames storage or redownloading my games because I do what is necessary to do to keep things in order. Steam on the other hand is a joke. I can save the "setup.exe" of every game I've bought from Matrixgames as well and store them on multiple storage devices if I choose. So, there's no reason in the world not to be able to download or resetup your games you get from Matrixgames unless one is just a lazy azz.

(in reply to CG_Gamer)
Post #: 31
RE: Just another Steam rant I suppose... - 10/19/2012 4:18:55 PM   
J P Falcon

What annoys me about Steam is that you are forced to use it even when you buy a hardcopy of the game....I bought the new X-COM hardcopy with the sole purpose of avoiding using Steam, and if I needed to leave the disk in the drive to play, so be it. It turned out to be a complete waste because I still needed to sign up to STEAM in order to actually load the game. I would not have bothered buying the discs if I knew that. Anyway, because of this, I was unable to try playing the game on my notebook because my 4G wireless internet connection would time out due to the large download file. At least I have broadband on my desktop and so installed the game there. Therefore, Steam has prevented me from enjoying a game on the platform of my choosing which is why I will always be a critic of such systems even though I am now forced to use it.

(in reply to CG_Gamer)
Post #: 32
RE: Just another Steam rant I suppose... - 10/19/2012 9:18:38 PM   
Vyshka

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rtwfreak

If you'd have registered those cd keys in the Members section you would have been able to download all your games. So in this case like you say it's my fault for how I act on Steam or EA it's your fault for not registering your cd keys in the Members section and thus you wouldn't have seen the shrugged shoulders and too bads. So your fault not Matrixgames.

I have "Never" had an issue with Matrixgames storage or redownloading my games because I do what is necessary to do to keep things in order. Steam on the other hand is a joke. I can save the "setup.exe" of every game I've bought from Matrixgames as well and store them on multiple storage devices if I choose. So, there's no reason in the world not to be able to download or resetup your games you get from Matrixgames unless one is just a lazy azz.

Not necessarily. If you purchased the games when Digital River ran the store you have to go their site, and you will need to supply info such as order number, or part of the credit card number. Even after the switch to Plimus not all games appear with download links in the members section when they are registered. The only 2 I am showing right now are CoG:EE and Harpoon:UE. No sign of Conflict of Heroes or others that I have purchased since November 2010. It looks like you will have to supply the same information to Plimus to track down the order and download again.

It is doable, and I have done it many times over the years for the older stuff I have purchased, but it can be a pain especially if you don't keep records of order numbers and cc# used.

"When they get in trouble they send for the sonsabitches" - Adm. King

(in reply to Rtwfreak)
Post #: 33
RE: Just another Steam rant I suppose... - 10/20/2012 3:36:58 AM   
CG_Gamer

Rtwfreak...you seem to grinning a lot as you inform us how organized you are and how hopelessly idiotic we are for not registering our games with the members section. Since you have chosen not to RTFF let me repost some of my statements for you:

quote:

I have my CD keys...its the game download links in the members section that aren't working for me
I have purchased and have a legal CD key, but can't download the game onto a new computer

My games are all properly registered with the members section. I downloaded the latest link for the game onto my new laptop. The game will not install properly. Can not play the game. Shrugged shoulders and too bads recieved. End of story.

As far as "fault", there is no fault. Not sure why you feel the need to assign it to me if there was. This is simply the way that Matrix does business. You can take it or leave it.
I would think that the way Matrix markets and aligns itself (niche market, more expensive games, smaller but loyal customer base) they would place customer service at the pinnacle of their efforts...especially to ensure that their customers are very happy with their purchases and return for more. But they have not for me. The result?
In the last five years I have bought a total of 4 games from Matrix (2 now unplayable)...and I have bought 131 from Steam and 14 from Gamersgate/Gamestop (minor problems, all solved) For example, I will be purchasing Unity of Command this weekend from GG. I will pay less than here at Matrix and will be using a service I have never had a problem with over 5 years and 14 games. Most of my games come from those two services and that ratio is not likely to change unless Matrix improves it's delivery systems, forum/website technology and customer service...particularly ensuring the customer has access to their purchased goods. Christian is very friendly and seems to want to help...but results count more than intentions.

That is not to say that I will never purchase a game from Matrix. Far from it. If, in my opinion, the risk is worth the reward, I will most certainly purchase a game here. But the risk of being unable to access my games results in the 145:4 ratio mentioned above. This is what works for me. If Matrix works for you, great! Continue to use their service. No need to be snide and insulting (in two threads, no less) when it doesn't work for other folks though. To each their own.

< Message edited by CG_Gamer -- 10/20/2012 3:39:20 AM >

(in reply to Vyshka)
Post #: 34
RE: Just another Steam rant I suppose... - 10/22/2012 4:09:29 AM   
Gary Childress

quote:

ORIGINAL: J P Falcon

What annoys me about Steam is that you are forced to use it even when you buy a hardcopy of the game....I bought the new X-COM hardcopy with the sole purpose of avoiding using Steam, and if I needed to leave the disk in the drive to play, so be it. It turned out to be a complete waste because I still needed to sign up to STEAM in order to actually load the game. I would not have bothered buying the discs if I knew that. Anyway, because of this, I was unable to try playing the game on my notebook because my 4G wireless internet connection would time out due to the large download file. At least I have broadband on my desktop and so installed the game there. Therefore, Steam has prevented me from enjoying a game on the platform of my choosing which is why I will always be a critic of such systems even though I am now forced to use it.

Yeah. I just installed DoWII Retribution thinking I would play a game tonight before turning in. Of course now I have to wait "6 hours" before I can play the game because it is updating with Steam or whatever. This is ridiculous! With a Matrix game I'm installed and ready to play in 10 minutes. I really see no advantage to having to connnect to the internet to enjoy a game and having to DL half the content when I bought it on DISC!

Favorites and/or other Great Games from Matrix :

1. War in the Pacific/ Admiral's Edition
2. Panzer Corps
3. Commander: Europe at War
4. John Tiller's Campaign Series

(in reply to J P Falcon)
Post #: 35
RE: Just another Steam rant I suppose... - 10/22/2012 4:25:10 AM   
Gary Childress

deleted...

< Message edited by Gary Childress -- 10/23/2012 4:48:29 AM >

2. Panzer Corps

(in reply to Vyshka)
Post #: 36
RE: Just another Steam rant I suppose... - 10/22/2012 4:37:31 AM   
Gary Childress

Deleted...

< Message edited by Gary Childress -- 10/23/2012 4:47:43 AM >

2. Panzer Corps

(in reply to CG_Gamer)
Post #: 37
RE: Just another Steam rant I suppose... - 10/22/2012 11:40:19 AM   
wodin

Personally I do prefer Steams or gamersgate way of doing things..but hey everyone has their preferences.

My Tactical wargame facebook page.

https://www.facebook.com/Tacticalwargame

(in reply to Gary Childress)
Post #: 38
RE: Just another Steam rant I suppose... - 10/22/2012 7:01:01 PM   
warspite1

Well I've always supported Steam on these threads. However I went to purchase a game yesterday and was told my payment wasn't accepted - contact the help desk. 24 hours later and still no response from the "help" desk.........

Not great.

England expects that every man will do his duty - Horatio Nelson 1805.

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 39
RE: Just another Steam rant I suppose... - 10/23/2012 4:46:46 AM   
Gary Childress

I apologize to Vyshka and CG_Gamer for my rudeness yesterday evening. Work has been extremely taxing lately and Steam's idiosyncrasies are just not helping me when I get home after a 12 hour day. Still I should have stepped back and taken a breather before posting...but I didn't. I apologize.

2. Panzer Corps

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 40
RE: Just another Steam rant I suppose... - 10/23/2012 5:43:17 AM   
LiquidSky

Seems to me that people havent actually looked at what is in the My Products section of Matrix games....go take a look.. I will wait.

Done?

Good...notice: No games. Just Beta downloads or some useful help files. Matrix does not store the game for you. They may, given sufficient proof that you are who you claim to be, will give you a new download link... And when you purchase a game, will keep the download link alive for a short time.

What you can do (what I do) is archive the files. Space is cheap. You can use USB memory sticks, Google Drive, or cloud of your choice. You can store it on multiple hard drives. You can convince a friend to play the same game, so that he also has a copy. You can burn it onto a CD/DVD/BD.

What you shouldnt do is listen to Rtwfreak or anyone else who says Matrix will archive the game for you. They don't.

What's the sense of sending $2 million missiles to hit a $10 tent that's empty?

— President George W. Bush, Oval Office meeting, 13 September 2001.

Post #: 41
RE: Just another Steam rant I suppose... - 10/23/2012 6:32:04 AM   
Rtwfreak

quote:

ORIGINAL: LiquidSky

Seems to me that people havent actually looked at what is in the My Products section of Matrix games....go take a look.. I will wait.

Done?

Good...notice: No games. Just Beta downloads or some useful help files. Matrix does not store the game for you. They may, given sufficient proof that you are who you claim to be, will give you a new download link... And when you purchase a game, will keep the download link alive for a short time.

What you can do (what I do) is archive the files. Space is cheap. You can use USB memory sticks, Google Drive, or cloud of your choice. You can store it on multiple hard drives. You can convince a friend to play the same game, so that he also has a copy. You can burn it onto a CD/DVD/BD.

What you shouldnt do is listen to Rtwfreak or anyone else who says Matrix will archive the game for you. They don't.

If you had taken some time to "learn" the members section you would know how to use it instead of making false and fail accusations about me which aren't true.

Goto the member section and find "My Games" down that list there you will see "My Orders" when you click on that link it will take you to all the games you've bought from Matrixgames and Digital River (that you registered) and guess what is over to the right hand side of that list of games? Why it's a "Download Again" link to each game you have bought from Matrixgames through Digital River. Imagine that. And amazingly you can "redownload" them again? WOW! Isn't that just fantastic?

So I guess what people "shouldn't" do is listen to you huh?

This even a quote from the members page
quote:

The Find My Order page allows you look up and find orders you placed with us over the years and to be able to re-download it.

Now I'll even tell you how to get your Plimus downloads again. Pretty simple yet may not be as easy as the Digital River portion. Just click on the Find my Order for Plimus and input the "required" information of the last 4 digits of your credit card and your email address you used to purchase games from Plimus (you did record and store this information didn't you?). Then when you get to the section that has your games listed just have them "resend you your receipt" (it's a scroll box that you can click on for either receipt or customer notifications) Be sure and click the SEND button. In the email you will get just click on the blue link that has your "Order Number" in it it's like an 8 digit number at the end of the link. The next page asks you to answer a few questions which namely is the "download" link and you check that box and of course put in your email address you used to purchase the game and then it will take you to a "ReDownload" page.

Such simple tasks to get your games back really. And before anyone says it, Plimus works as Matrixgames backup storage facility so don't try to be cute or silly by saying that's not Matrixgames storing your games. They Pay Plimus to do this I'm sure. If not then great free storage service provided by Matrixgames.

< Message edited by Rtwfreak -- 10/23/2012 7:16:00 AM >

(in reply to LiquidSky)
Post #: 42
RE: Just another Steam rant I suppose... - 10/23/2012 7:34:34 AM   
JudgeDredd

Steam = right click the "greyed out" (uninstalled game) in your library and click Install Game. Super easy.

Having said that - I'm a fan of both (here and Steam), though I spend far more money over at Steam because of the prices.

However, I do acknowledge that one day Steam may not be here and I may not have my library of games. Given I am not a fan of "old stuff" anyway and move on from games quite quickly that's not really a big deal and I wouldn't imagine I'd start crying when it happens - though if I do, feel free to bring this thread back up

What I would agree with is Steam's help service is a) less than helpful and b) about as responsive as a sloth

JudgeDredd
I AM the Law!

(in reply to Rtwfreak)
Post #: 43
RE: Just another Steam rant I suppose... - 10/23/2012 8:07:23 AM   
Rtwfreak

Well I think we could all take a lesson from just Microsoft. They no longer support Win 95, 98 and soon WinXP and certainly just about all of the DOS games before them. Things come and things go but at least Matrixgames is still supporting games over 12 years old and makes it easy to redownload them and play them as you wish. Yes, not everybody plays older games. I'm not of that group. I still play dos games from back in the 80's that I enjoy much more than todays games. Sword of Aragon, Battles of Napoleon, War of the Lance, Master of Magic and Civilization II just to name a few. I'm not playing them because Microsoft is still supporting them or their developers that's for sure.

We all have our likes and dislikes though and I certainly dislike Steam and EA right now. Gamersgate and GOG give me what I want and don't make me feel like I'm a prisoner of their service. I own those games when I download them (barring they aren't of a 3rd party download and DRM scheme such as Steam) and that's the way "I" likes it.

(in reply to JudgeDredd)
Post #: 44
RE: Just another Steam rant I suppose... - 10/23/2012 10:34:54 AM   
Iain McNeil

Guys I'm having trouble following the thread here but if there is an issue can you pass it to the Helpdesk and we'll work out what it is. If you have already done so please tell me teh ticket number so I can investigate.

Iain McNeil
Director
Slitherine Software
Website http://www.slitherine.com

(in reply to Rtwfreak)
Post #: 45
RE: Just another Steam rant I suppose... - 10/23/2012 12:15:10 PM   
Perturabo

I still play games that I have bought 16 years ago.

Without social solidarity manifested in the form of welfare state, people inhabiting one territory are a non-nation of mortal enemies engaged in competition for survival.

(in reply to Iain McNeil)
Post #: 46
RE: Just another Steam rant I suppose... - 10/23/2012 3:48:11 PM   
Rtwfreak

quote:

ORIGINAL: Perturabo

I still play games that I have bought 16 years ago.

I know gamers are still playing Civilization II and quite a few are still playing Master of Magic which is 20 years old next year. Just because a game is old doesn't mean it's still not fun to play. Big deal if the graphics are a little dated or even stickmen of the real olden days, if the game is fun then it's still fun now. One game I forgot to mention that is still very challenging today is "Centurion Defender of Rome" the ai in that game puts all other ai's to shame really. I still have a hard time winning on just normal setting. Graphics in it of course are horrible but I just love the gameplay and challenge of it. Even the Combat Mission series the older one is about 10 years old now and I of course still play it also. Change does not always mean better that's for sure. Steam doesn't really mean better it's just convenient is all. For me I'll spend a few more seconds or a minute or two backing up my games vs being under the rule of a service I don't like how they do things.

(in reply to Perturabo)
Post #: 47
RE: Just another Steam rant I suppose... - 10/23/2012 4:54:02 PM   
parusski

Steam sucks. Steam is great. Steam is horrible. Steam is wonderful. I love steam. I hate Steam.

"I hate newspapermen. They come into camp and pick up their camp rumors and print them as facts. I regard them as spies, which, in truth, they are. If I killed them all there would be news from Hell before breakfast."- W.T. Sherman

(in reply to Rtwfreak)
Post #: 48
RE: Just another Steam rant I suppose... - 10/23/2012 6:56:30 PM   
Rtwfreak

quote:

ORIGINAL: parusski

Steam sucks. Steam is great. Steam is horrible. Steam is wonderful. I love steam. I hate Steam.

Well at least you finished with "I hate Steam."

(in reply to parusski)
Post #: 49
RE: Just another Steam rant I suppose... - 10/23/2012 7:04:54 PM   
parusski

quote:

quote:

Arrrggghhh.

Steam sucks. Steam is great. Steam is evil. I love Steam.

EDIT: I am trying to prevent flame throwers being pointed at me, hence the opposing positions(HEHE).

< Message edited by parusski -- 10/23/2012 7:36:07 PM >

"I hate newspapermen. They come into camp and pick up their camp rumors and print them as facts. I regard them as spies, which, in truth, they are. If I killed them all there would be news from Hell before breakfast."- W.T. Sherman

(in reply to Rtwfreak)
Post #: 50
RE: Just another Steam rant I suppose... - 10/23/2012 8:42:13 PM   
Rtwfreak

You started off with "Steam Sucks" as well....we know how you really feel now.

(in reply to parusski)
Post #: 51
RE: Just another Steam rant I suppose... - 10/23/2012 11:10:35 PM   
CG_Gamer

Holy Crap. This is the first time I have ever had this happen in my 36 years of life. I was considering ripping into you about what a pretentious, obnoxious jerk you were and how your post added nothing but hate and discontent to the thread....then I thought, 'naw...why bait the troll, just ignore him'.

And then you go and apologize. On the forum. On the internet. To everyone. I salute you for showing a bit of class and courtesy where most others don't. Apology accepted and thank you.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gary Childress

I apologize to Vyshka and CG_Gamer for my rudeness yesterday evening. Work has been extremely taxing lately and Steam's idiosyncrasies are just not helping me when I get home after a 12 hour day. Still I should have stepped back and taken a breather before posting...but I didn't. I apologize.

Post #: 52
RE: Just another Steam rant I suppose... - 10/23/2012 11:27:21 PM   
CG_Gamer

Wow. You have just solved a problem that Matrix tech support could not. I have been downloading the links in the 'Downloads' part of the members section. I did not realize you had to to to the 'My orders' section to download the game. I am supposing the links in the 'Downloads' are strictly the patches? Why the hell would Matrix not put the game downloads in the 'Downloads' section??!! Thanks anyway. Perhaps you can help with the second half of the problem?

Rather than burn a disk I have always just copied and pasted the game folders onto my new computer. When I did that with GoA and EiA it didn't work. I am having a serial number error issue even though I have the proper serial numbers. Is there some sort of DRM in those games that wont allow you to C&P the game folders to a new computer even with the proper serial?

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: LiquidSky

Done?

If you had taken some time to "learn" the members section you would know how to use it instead of making false and fail accusations about me which aren't true.

Goto the member section and find "My Games" down that list there you will see "My Orders" when you click on that link it will take you to all the games you've bought from Matrixgames and Digital River (that you registered) and guess what is over to the right hand side of that list of games? Why it's a "Download Again" link to each game you have bought from Matrixgames through Digital River. Imagine that. And amazingly you can "redownload" them again? WOW! Isn't that just fantastic?

So I guess what people "shouldn't" do is listen to you huh?

This even a quote from the members page
quote:

The Find My Order page allows you look up and find orders you placed with us over the years and to be able to re-download it.

Now I'll even tell you how to get your Plimus downloads again. Pretty simple yet may not be as easy as the Digital River portion. Just click on the Find my Order for Plimus and input the "required" information of the last 4 digits of your credit card and your email address you used to purchase games from Plimus (you did record and store this information didn't you?). Then when you get to the section that has your games listed just have them "resend you your receipt" (it's a scroll box that you can click on for either receipt or customer notifications) Be sure and click the SEND button. In the email you will get just click on the blue link that has your "Order Number" in it it's like an 8 digit number at the end of the link. The next page asks you to answer a few questions which namely is the "download" link and you check that box and of course put in your email address you used to purchase the game and then it will take you to a "ReDownload" page.

Such simple tasks to get your games back really. And before anyone says it, Plimus works as Matrixgames backup storage facility so don't try to be cute or silly by saying that's not Matrixgames storing your games. They Pay Plimus to do this I'm sure. If not then great free storage service provided by Matrixgames.

(in reply to Rtwfreak)
Post #: 53
RE: Just another Steam rant I suppose... - 10/24/2012 1:38:47 AM   
Rtwfreak

quote:

Rather than burn a disk I have always just copied and pasted the game folders onto my new computer. When I did that with GoA and EiA it didn't work. I am having a serial number error issue even though I have the proper serial numbers. Is there some sort of DRM in those games that wont allow you to C&P the game folders to a new computer even with the proper serial?

All I can think of here would have something to do with the 'registry' entries when you are 'installing' the game and that is why you need to burn the setup.exe file vs the unzipped game folder. Not going to say this is the process with all games but that would be the first thing to come to mind. Within the setup is that cd/key that has to match what you type in when you are installing the game. When you copy just a game folder over you are not copying what is in your 'registry'.

Also, if I'm not mistaken those links in the "download" section of the "members section" are for the "patches/updates" to your games. So, yes I can see where Matrixgames might have been misleading in the members section on where to go to download the full games vs updates/patches. I guess they should name it Updates/Patches.

I'm glad I could help you out and that you've found out you should listen to me from time to time. haha I too will apologize for sounding condensending. I guess online since there is no tone or real chuckles and laughter one could take things I type that way. I guess because I saw how simple it was I expected everyone to....sorry.

< Message edited by Rtwfreak -- 10/24/2012 1:42:52 AM >

(in reply to CG_Gamer)
Post #: 54
RE: Just another Steam rant I suppose... - 10/24/2012 2:05:51 AM   
parusski

quote:

quote:

quote:

Arrrggghhh.

Steam sucks. Steam is great. Steam is evil. I love Steam.

EDIT: I am trying to prevent flame throwers being pointed at me, hence the opposing positions(HEHE).

Calm down Mr D. Vader If you pay CLOSE attention I took NO side in this debate. Many members siuffer what is known as the warspitewodin syndrome. If you have no idea about this forum problem read the extraordinary Mental Illnesses Of The Internet, S. Ambrose, who postulates this disorder is Caused by living in Uttoxeter

(in reply to parusski)
Post #: 55
RE: Just another Steam rant I suppose... - 10/24/2012 10:59:09 AM   
JudgeDredd

quote:

ORIGINAL: CG_Gamer

Wow. You have just solved a problem that Matrix tech support could not. I have been downloading the links in the 'Downloads' part of the members section. I did not realize you had to to to the 'My orders' section to download the game. I am supposing the links in the 'Downloads' are strictly the patches? Why the hell would Matrix not put the game downloads in the 'Downloads' section??!! Thanks anyway. Perhaps you can help with the second half of the problem?

IIRC Matrix Games stores the Serial Number in the registry. I could be wrong - but if I'm right that's likely why you cannot just copy your game folder across onto a new machine. Also if I'm right, I have no idea how you were able to do it before. Perhaps it's a new feature?

I'm actually surprised that ever worked for you ever tbh.

JudgeDredd
I AM the Law!

(in reply to CG_Gamer)
Post #: 56
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: Just another Steam rant I suppose... Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI