Any chance of expansion in 2013/150 year anniversery?

From the creators of Crown of Glory come an epic tale of North Vs. South. By combining area movement on the grand scale with optional hex based tactical battles when they occur, Forge of Freedom provides something for every strategy gamer. Control economic development, political development with governers and foreign nations, and use your military to win the bloodiest war in US history.

Moderator: Gil R.

battleground

Any chance of expansion in 2013/150 year anniversery?

Post by battleground »

Since we are coming up on the 150 year middle of the Civil War
anniversery will Matrix be releasing any expansion/patch for FOF?
It is one of the most fun to play and easiest to learn games on the
US ACW.

I would like to see some of the suggestions made in the wish list
as well as having Army/Corps names instead of leader names so
Armies can be shown.

Also Longstreet should begin as a Corps commander and few if
any leaders can be upgraded in the CSA Army right away at game
start.

Please lets see an update! My wife's Great Grand Uncle is Gen. J.F.
Reynolds, commander I Corps, Army of the Potomac and my brothers
wife is a direct decendent of CSA General Hoke.

thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!! Great game
Tim
gchristie

RE: Any chance of expansion in 2013/150 year anniversery?

Post by gchristie »

Looks unlikely as the dev's energies seem to be directed here tt.asp?forumid=808

They say an expansion of FoF will require a new engine and they think it unlikely that they would realize the return on the investment.
terje439

Post by terje439 »

ORIGINAL: battlegroundvehicles
few if any leaders can be upgraded in the CSA Army right away at game
start.

Just wanted to point out a few things here;
1. There should be a few 2star general appointments available at start
2. You have some 3 star generals that are not even worth a 2 star, demote them, this frees up their rank for other officers.

Terje
"Hun skal torpederes!" - Birger Eriksen

("She is to be torpedoed!")
Gil R.

Post by Gil R. »

ghristie already gave what would have been my response, but I guess I can cryptically add that WCS has ideas for other Civil War games, too. And no disagreement that a FOF expansion would be great to see -- it just isn't practical yet.
Michael Jordan plays ball. Charles Manson kills people. I torment eager potential customers by not sharing screenshots of "Brother Against Brother." Everyone has a talent.
ericbabe

Post by ericbabe »

I had a lot of fun making FOF, and it would be great fun to make an expansion. The sad thing is that a lot of people don't seem to want to buy a game using an engine that has fixed resolution anymore. This wasn't so much of a problem when FOF was released -- we had a few complaints about it, but I think most of our customers were still using 1024x768 displays then. So I'd love to do an expansion for FOF, but I just worry that it wouldn't appeal to enough people to make it worth-while, which is a euphemism for "Eric doesn't lose money doing it."
Gil R.

Post by Gil R. »

To clarify Eric's point, resolution isn't something that can be changed by going to one part of the code -- it's something that would require numerous changes, and take an enormous amount of effort.

The good news is that we would certainly like to make a new version of FOF someday, so we will not rule out such a thing.
Michael Jordan plays ball. Charles Manson kills people. I torment eager potential customers by not sharing screenshots of "Brother Against Brother." Everyone has a talent.
Gilmer

Post by Gilmer »

Also, may be off topic in a sense, but Ageod (Who I think still partners with Matrix) is supposed to release Ageod American Civil War 2 sometime this year which will probably be a great addition to any library on Civil War.
"Venimus, vidimus, Deus vicit" John III Sobieski as he entered Vienna on 9/12/1683. "I came, I saw, God conquered."
He that has a mind to fight, let him fight, for now is the time. - Anacreon

Return to “Forge of Freedom: The American Civil War 1861-1865”