Matrix Games Forums

To End All Wars: Mountain InfantryPandora: Eclipse of Nashira Announced! Deal of the Week: Command Ops goes half price!New Fronts are opening up for Commander: The Great WarCharacters of World War 1Sign of for the Pike and Shot Beta!More Games are Coming to Steam! Return to the Moon on October 31st! Commander: The Great War iPad Wallpapers Generals of the Great War
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

The Game is Called!!! A-Game welcome!

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> After Action Reports >> The Game is Called!!! A-Game welcome! Page: <<   < prev  4 5 6 7 [8]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
The Game is Called!!! A-Game welcome! - 5/17/2013 10:48:10 PM   
Disgruntled Veteran

So after a bit of conversation A-Game and I decided to call it quits on this game. The train wreck of no upgrades bit too deeply into my army and I have not been able to even put together something resembling a defense since mud. A-Game has been able to encircle between 10-20 divisions every turn so we've decided not to waste any more time on it. The Good news is that we are going to have a 3rd and final bout and hopefully finish a game where we both are able to put forth our best. I will remain axis and the only difference is that I am asking for non-random weather. I am still waiting for a reply which should come tonight. (A-Game runs on Aussie time while I'm in the Southern U.S)

My main shortcomings on review:

-Allowing myself to be drawn into a straight up battle in front of Leningrad instead of a war of maneuver. Honestly, I don't know what exactly I did wrong (if anything) but I came as close to losing the Leningrad drive as possible while still taking it. I lost a lot of battles and sent all my reinforcements north to assist which of course allowed A-Game to easily hold Moscow and simply run in the South. I need to have a better advance plan in the future.

-Not garrisoning allied capitols!!!!!! For any new guys who have never played until the long war, Garrison your allied capitols when the Russians get close to them. Use your small SS units and some security/luftwaffe troops to garrison to increase odds of allied troops holding out. I lost Hungary and Finland without Russians ever entering their soil. This cost me about 1million men in short secession which devastated my defense. This game could have been played out had Hungary and Finland not died so quickly.

- Not capitalizing on my Vyazma victory. Here I destroyed some 60 Red Divisions in one campaign but failed to win a decisive victory out of it. Part of this was the annoying mud turn that crippled me but A-Game caught his breath and rebuilt a defense. And while I still managed to destroy many more divisions it merely delayed his resurgence instead of destroying it. I managed to get to 233/260 VP's but Moscow was never in any real danger so an outright victory just wasn't possible.

My main criticism of A-Game would be that he let me off too easy in the Blizzard. I was almost wondering whether he didn't want to break my spirit because there was a few turns where I thought I'd lost a whole army but constantly managed to wiggle out of a ZOC lock. Overall I lost 1 division and 1 regiment in the whole Blizzard which allowed me to have a strong OOB in 42. Other than that A-Game played very conservatively until he was sure he could advance with strong flank support. Its hard to say how things would have turned out without the upgrade bug. I was still being driven back in late 43 so it would have been a very close game.

Some final thoughts: For axis players who have a bad start: Keep Playing! The defense starts to get a lot easier in the late game. For one your front line gets shorter which allows units to refit n the rear, build fortifications, and be put on reserve, the terrain really starts to get nasty for the attackers, and you get a lot of reinforcements past summer 44 including the Volksgrenadier which have a lot of firepower. TBH, I was really enjoying the late game defense. I think I enjoyed the late game more than the 41 drive. Being on the defense isn't that bad as the axis.

If anyone has any thought or questions please fire away!!

(in reply to Disgruntled Veteran)
Post #: 211
RE: The Game is Called!!! A-Game welcome! - 5/17/2013 11:05:30 PM   
Michael T

I can only say you must insist on non random. Otherwise you are just handing the Soviets the game.

'Deus le Volt!'
------------------

Post #: 212
RE: The Game is Called!!! A-Game welcome! - 5/17/2013 11:22:26 PM   
smokindave34

What slowed you down in your drive to Leningrad? It sounds as though you committed enough troops to it....did the weather effect you here as well. In most cases if the Axis makes Leningrad a priority it will fall and probably in the first 17 turns. Just curious as I'm planning on starting another campaign shortly...

Also, after two games into '44 as axis I think the correct strategy for Rumania is to get every German unit out of there before the Soviets reach the border. This whole deal where the Rumanian units flip and the rail lines flip is a disaster for any axis units in Rumania. Put your units in Hungary and as soon as Romania falls send them into the grap the mountain passes.

Good luck in your next game!

(in reply to Michael T)
Post #: 213
RE: The Game is Called!!! A-Game welcome! - 5/17/2013 11:44:29 PM   
Disgruntled Veteran

quote:

ORIGINAL: smokindave34

What slowed you down in your drive to Leningrad? It sounds as though you committed enough troops to it....did the weather effect you here as well. In most cases if the Axis makes Leningrad a priority it will fall and probably in the first 17 turns. Just curious as I'm planning on starting another campaign shortly...

Probably a short coming on my part, but random mud on T10 really hurt me. Every turn I couldn't achieve a strategic breakthrough but instead I had to claw through multiple rows of fortified russians with 2/3 reserve activations.In hindsight I could have bombed the ports or went around, but A-Game's defense was pretty tough to crack.

(in reply to smokindave34)
Post #: 214
RE: The Game is Called!!! A-Game welcome! - 5/18/2013 10:08:44 AM   
janh

Nice game, and a good AAR. The few random mud turns can be a pain, but so they are for the Russian side as well. I would say the random weather does benefit the Axis defense in mid war quite a bit by requiring the Soviet to keep a low pace/penetration depth when attacking, else risk having your spear heads cut off-- which are usually the best units you have. It is just that the 41 rush is so tight that you can only allow little to go wrong as Axis, but who know how history would have looked if they had had a much more rainy summer than they did. Perhaps the war wouldn't even have lasted until D-Day then. Fate... or dice rolls.

The key to LG -- decisive use of AGN's Panzer force in that sector right from the beginning, and not getting PG IV side-tracked towards Kalinin or anywhere else. It may seem boring to push the AG via Pskov directly to LG, but I think this is the best way to go. Sending a Panzer Corps West past the landbridge north of Peipius can be sound when the direct resistance in the area towards Novgorod and the Volkov is stiff, but else I think bullying your way in there seems to work in most cases, and the earlier AARs. The terrain there isn't exactly best Panzer terrain, but Wehrmacht is qualitatively so superior that even if the Soviet player sends all initial reinforcements up there and allows AGC and AGS to roam free, you still have the better chance to force your way to LG's back door. And the alternatives, like going through the poor terrain via Staraya Russia and Demyansk through the Valdai hills and coming up on the East side of the Volkhov/Novgorod means a narrow attack channel through much worse terrain, the best defensive terrain on the map in fact, and a very long supply line -- that has little prospect a seems like handing your cards to the Soviet side.

Post #: 215
Page:   <<   < prev  4 5 6 7 [8]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> After Action Reports >> The Game is Called!!! A-Game welcome! Page: <<   < prev  4 5 6 7 [8]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI