The Game is Called!!! A-Game welcome!

Post descriptions of your brilliant victories and unfortunate defeats here.

Moderators: Joel Billings, Sabre21

Disgruntled Veteran

The Game is Called!!! A-Game welcome!

Post by Disgruntled Veteran »

Ok so A-game and I started a redo of our GC to include random weather and learn from each others mistakes. So far this game has been far better and much more of a nail biter. Overall A-game has been more prone to withdrawing and not fighting forward while I have been more competent with my panzer thrusts. I'm starting the AAR on T20 which I just finished. I figured everyone has seen enough of the Lvov opening to last a lifetime (yes I used the extended Lvov opening) so I waited a bit to start this AAR. I plan on doing step by step coverage of the Blizzard which people seem to ask for.

North Front: As I said A-game has been flighty everywhere except the approaches to Leningrad. The Northward drive has sucked almost all of our resources to the Leningrad axis and it has been an absolute bar fight. All reinforcements except the Security division and 60th motor have went North. A-game has responded by stripping the Center and Southern Fronts and creating belts of lines in front of the Neva. I used 1 HQBU here but it had little impact. A-game has played a near flawless defense of the North. However, with that being said, I've came to the conclusion that Leningrad cannot be held if the axis want it bad enough. I've even had a mud turn in the North and I've still recovered.

I have relied on 3-4 deliberate attacks a turn to ensure no holds. Every fight I use 3 to 1 odds minimum to ensure victory and force routs and thus keep morale low. On very difficult hexes I have a Corps designed for soak off attacks (Sorry L Corps) these troops tough it out WW1 style to weaken the defenders while the other 3 Corps of 18. Army do the men's work. The entire AGN went North of Novgorod to ensure maximum schwerpunkt on Leningrad.

But first..the Finns:

The Finns took advantage of an early mishap by A-game and launched a cunning opening which trapped 6 rifle divisions near Lake Janis.. Since then they managed to break the Finnish bottleneck over lvl 3 fort heavy woods and push into East Karelia. The drive was stopped due to the late season...rail and the imminent success of AGN. In hindset I regret throwing the Finns against the bottleneck. The losses weren't worth the breakthrough. Here's a screenie:

Attachments
T20Finns.jpg
T20Finns.jpg (328.12 KiB) Viewed 712 times
Disgruntled Veteran

RE: Disgruntled Veteran (Axis) vs A-Game (Commies) Part Two - No A-game Plz

For a little bit I was worried that AGN would fail and Leningrad would hold. My pace was slow and every battle only revealed another line of dug in Russian defenders. Not to mention that on T3 he threw my 8th panzer back across the river near Pskov and somewhere near T10 he got a mud turn to recover. However my next post will show where I turned the tides. Since T12 all of AGN has been North of Novgorod. This led to a exposed flank near VL where A-game exploited ruthlessly. Unfortunately for him the 41 Russian army cannot exploit a deep strategic thrust against Germany. Overall A-game has probably lost 25-30 divisions trying to sever AGN/AGC. Pictures next post.

Here we see what a solid defense of Leningrad provided: Its T20 and I am just now across the Neva. As I said though I have totally written off Moscow since T1. In fact the space in front of Moscow is a joke. I'm only 7 hexes away but both of us only maintain screening forces here. Group North is awaiting Snow to seize the port then finish off the pocket.

Notice the favorable turn of weather in my favor??? Working West to East weather was: Mud, Snow, Snow, Blizzard...feck its only October and there's blizzard.

Attachments
T20AGN.jpg
T20AGN.jpg (363.46 KiB) Viewed 712 times
Disgruntled Veteran

Here is the Gap that A-game tried to exploit:

Ive dubbed out the current units for OpSec but it shows what's up. While initially causing me much headache the end result was 3. pz being pulled North and several destroyed Russian armies.

Attachments
T20Gap.jpg
T20Gap.jpg (296.67 KiB) Viewed 712 times
Disgruntled Veteran

The Center Front's main goal was to create a buffer. As you can see were fairly close to Moscow but the front really doesn't move. I make sure to launch as many deliberate attacks as possible to create as much death and chaos before Blizzard. He still holds Kaluga and Kalinin and Tula. I think Tula will fall though. Voronez has fallen and our drive is doing well. A fall back position 8-10 hexes behind the front has been underway since first mud turn. I only plan on railing out 1 Corps of premier infantry and one Corps of mech. The rest will stay (hopefully sheltered) and hold the line. Most of the LW airbases are being sent home and the NAtional Reserve is getting full.

Attachments
T20Center.jpg
T20Center.jpg (307.67 KiB) Viewed 712 times
Disgruntled Veteran

Here's the South:

Initially I planned on all of 2. PZ assisting on the drive to Rostov but I have broken them apart once mud started. I am kind of disappointing actually as they have become useless in the last couple turns. Right now 1 Corps is helping build a fort line while a few divs were sent home and some were sent to join III Pz Corps in the South.

A-game has mostly ran this game in the South so I've tried my best to follow suit. My Achilles heel has been rail lines. I ran the wrong route and a Partisan attack severed my line once. Most of my CV/MP for the mech was garbage during late summer. This is primarily why I cancelled sending 2. Pz to the South. Overall though the drive is going great. My blessing of snow during mud season allowed me to seize the swamp terrain west of Rostov and position units to cross the Don East and West of Rostov. I prefer to encircle it if possible. Vorishlogrod is mine.

I also decided to go for the Crimea this time around too. I don't plan on taking Sevastopol as it would cause too many deaths but I wanted to rip up the rail lines and create a buffer while the Romanians built a winter line.

Attachments
T20South.jpg
T20South.jpg (284.85 KiB) Viewed 712 times
Disgruntled Veteran

Kills:

Russian: 2.85 million with appx 14 Russian divisions trapped in Leningrad.

Axis: 485,00

Attachments
T20AGN.jpg
T20AGN.jpg (115.32 KiB) Viewed 712 times
Disgruntled Veteran

[center]Turn 26 North[/center]

Here we see the culmination of AGN during Barbarossa. One hell of a defense by A-game bought Leningrad tons of time and almost saved her. I could have attacked Leningrad proper before blizzard but it would have been risky. Instead I have decided to starve the city throughout the blizzard. I. Corps camps in the local cities along with a few mech divisions.

The Finns have taken over the defense on the Volkhov allowing 16. Army to shift South and strengthen 9. Army's left flank. With a level 3 fort line on the Volkhov, AGN's front shouldn't change.

Attachments
T26North.jpg
T26North.jpg (414.24 KiB) Viewed 712 times
Disgruntled Veteran

[center]T26 Center North[/center]

I'm really not sure how bad blizzard is going to be. Here is where I am weakest...the junction between AGN/AGC. 9. Army has some prepared defenses and good terrain but blizzard just started and I really don't want to retreat. I will give the customary hexes in December but come January I plan on fighting. The Red is the last of my buffer space.

Attachments
T26CenterNorth.jpg
T26CenterNorth.jpg (403.4 KiB) Viewed 712 times
Disgruntled Veteran

[center]T26 CENTER PROPER[/center]

The line is drawn and I do plan on fighting...just not in December.

Attachments
T26CenterNorth.jpg
T26CenterNorth.jpg (314.58 KiB) Viewed 712 times
Disgruntled Veteran

[center]T26 South[/center]

Here is where I am the most confident (and blessed with the most Mtn units). By taking the Crimea and driving to Rostov I have created a healthy buffer and have an abundance of forces. I do not plan on surrendering the Tri-City region of Stalino. I WILL fight to the death here.

T25 casualties were 70k.

While there are many things about this game that could be changed I really wished fighting through the blizzard was an option. The German Heer wasn't utterly paralyzed by blizzard, they were paralyzed by supply and over extension problems. Oh well...maybe in WITE2.

Attachments
T26CenterNorth.jpg
T26CenterNorth.jpg (384.86 KiB) Viewed 712 times
Disgruntled Veteran

[center]Turns 26, 27, 28, and 29 Beginning.[/center]

Okay. Sorry for the delay but work and family keep AAR time limited. Its the beginning of T29 and the worst of the Blizzard is over. I must admit that given all the hype the Blizzard has not been the Divine wind that I feared. (This is my first MP blizzard)Part of this I have to admit is that I really think A-game is not being aggressive enough. He's being ultra-conservative and trying to build guards. Not a single attack in the North. This suits me fine. When L-G fell (Turn 27 btw) It freed all of 16. Army to head South where they were desperately needed. The Finns really are necessary to hold the North during Winter.

Attachments
T26North.jpg
T26North.jpg (384.26 KiB) Viewed 712 times
Disgruntled Veteran

This was one of my weak spots. Most of 16. Army was still needed in the North to finish off Leningrad when Blizzard started. This forced 9. Army to hold way too long of a front. Although 3.Pz Group sent some help, A-game has been my greatest ally by only attacking when he had overwhelming odds. Now that January is here, 16. Army has arrived in force, and I'm dug into the swamps....I'm not going anywhere.

Attachments
T26North.jpg
T26North.jpg (367.72 KiB) Viewed 712 times
Disgruntled Veteran

[center]Turns 26, 27, 28, and 29 Beginning[/center]

Here was another trouble spot. Being that the drive towards Moscow largely stopped in July, the only distance really gained was the ground A-game let me have. I'm terribly weak here and have almost ran out of fall back ground. Im strechted thin but all arriving reinforcements are coming this way including 1 of my Mtn Divisions from 17. Army.

Smolensk will not fall but this has made any attempt on Moscow next season very difficult. Im just glad I've yet to experience heavy losses.

Attachments
T26North.jpg
T26North.jpg (412.31 KiB) Viewed 712 times
Disgruntled Veteran

[center]Turns 26, 27, 28 and 29 Beginning[/center]

The most devastated Front. An admission of noobness here. I didn't realize that the Dec 4 turn was Blizzard. I thought it was the next turn. I had all of 4. Army and 2. Army holding the line against A-game. Luckily, I do mean that word, A-game has failed to capitalize on my error. The 112th Infantry Division was finally destroyed last turn after its fight Westward..this has been my first division lost. The other unit (pictured) is a regiment and is surely lost too.

Otherwise this front should hold. The mian question is what to do about Orel. Should I hold it or retreat. Its January so my CV's are up but he has a lot of firepower aimed at encircling Orel. This is where I will likely hold the line and commit my valuable SS and Panzer reserves. While I wont demand Orel held at all costs I'm not going to surrender it easily.

Attachments
T26North.jpg
T26North.jpg (466.06 KiB) Viewed 712 times
Disgruntled Veteran

The South has performed the best due to abundance of Mtn units and concentration of force. Unfortunately I was unable to take Rostov or activate AGB during the Summer campaign but otherwise the Southern Front is holding well. The poor Romanians are freezing their asses off but Stalino, Kharkov, and Kursk will all hold....

Some Mtn units are heading North towards crisis centers.

Attachments
T26North.jpg
T26North.jpg (303.3 KiB) Viewed 712 times
Disgruntled Veteran

[center]The Crimea[/center]

The limited forces in the crimea performed their mission well. The rail lines were ripped up and a buffer was created so the chokepoints could be fortified.

An assault come Summer to take Sebastopol? Maybe?

Attachments
T26North.jpg
T26North.jpg (186.5 KiB) Viewed 712 times
Disgruntled Veteran

[center]Blizzard to date:[/center]

German Casulaties:
T26: 56k
T27: 72k
T28: 90k
T29: 101k

I also have 250k men in the bank along with 185k Hiwis. Does this seem high? I'm not complaining but I have a lot of forces in reserve in seems.

Stuplenagel and Von Leeb were both relieved as well. Paulus has taken command of the 17. Army while the glorious AI decided that Manstein should run AGN Can't wait to waste AP's changing that one. Again, depending on how the fight for Orel goes this has been a mild blizzard it seems. Ill post a full review at the end of January.

Thought/Suggestions?

Attachments
T26North.jpg
T26North.jpg (124.04 KiB) Viewed 712 times
Disgruntled Veteran

[center]TURN 33 JANUARY 42[/center]

-So Blizzard is almost over and I think it has went relatively well. I lost a total of 1 division and one regiment (as of yet) and I've averaged about 70k losses a turn so far. The Northern and Southern Fronts have held firm while the Center from Smolensk to Kursk has caved inward between 15-20 hexes. I originally planned on holding Orel but it was a lost cause. I just abandoned Bryansk and Smolensk is almost 50% encircled. The other main area of interest is the ongoing battle to save 2. Army. His cavalry have been hammering the flanks and only the commitment of the 4th Mtn and the XXIV Panzer Korps have kept it alive. My Hungarian Mtn brigade and the 2. Army has been hammered below 50% TOE. February will be most welcome. Oh and the Crimea is sealed at the narrows.

-I'm still at 3 million men with 2.7 million fielded. I have about 475k men in the bank with 200k armaments. All my reserve divisions that were wintering have been moved closer to the front..many of them committed.

Attachments
T26CenterNorth.jpg
T26CenterNorth.jpg (398.06 KiB) Viewed 712 times
Disgruntled Veteran

[center]END OF BLIZZARD - MARCH 5 - TURN 38[/center]

So Blizzard is over. Finally a period to rest and refit the Wehrmacht to finish off A-game and add my first mp victory to the belt. This is my first blizzard so I don't know really what to expect but it does seem that I got off relatively easy. A-game passed up a lot of attacks and didn't seem very well coordinated. One mistake I believe he made was combining his cavalry divisions into Corps. More power but cavalry aren't for muscle IMO but to slip past flanks. Anyways, I'm not complaining. Total losses to date:

Axis: 1.24 Million
Soviet: 3.83 Million

Axis OOB:
3.27 (3.03) men
32k guns
2500 tanks
3700 aircraft

Soviet OOB:
6.06 (5.90) men
62500 guns
4500 tanks
8300 aircraft

Here's the North Position:

Attachments
T26CenterNorth.jpg
T26CenterNorth.jpg (237.61 KiB) Viewed 712 times
Disgruntled Veteran

Here's the Center:

Not sure if going for Moscow is an option. Its a long way to go and he surely has endless waves of reserves and forts waiting to bleed me out. Do I go for manpower centers or do I just try to destroy units? Not sure yet.

Attachments
T26CenterNorth.jpg
T26CenterNorth.jpg (409.5 KiB) Viewed 712 times

Return to “After Action Reports”