Matrix Games Forums

A new update for Piercing Fortress EuropaNew screenshots for War in the West!Pike & Shot is now available!Server Maintenance Battle Academy 2 gets updated!Deal of the Week: Advanced Tactics Gold Ask Buzz Aldrin!Pike & Shot gets Release Date and Twitch Session!Deal of the Week Espana 1936War in the West coming in December!
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Axis on the Defense!!

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> After Action Reports >> RE: Axis on the Defense!! Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Axis on the Defense!! - 3/31/2013 3:13:19 AM   
Disgruntled Veteran

TURN 126 - NOVEMBER 11, 1943 - SOUTHERN FRONT

In the South I was struck by how quickly A-Game collapsed the front as I was reluctant to give up space. He ZOC locked (and eventually trapped) 2 Romanian divisions near Rostov. Luckily my Romanian friends have withstood 2 direct assaults while isolated and lived. Im sure they are toast this turn though.

I think the breach is contained for now. I really need to hold him East of the Dnepr till Summer..doesn't look likely though.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Disgruntled Veteran)
Post #: 91
RE: Axis on the Defense!! - 3/31/2013 10:21:22 AM   
juret

Nice AAR. following it.

It looks like the finish troops arent used so much ? any reson why?

An efficient way to use em is to man the 3 hexes around lake janisjärvi with 6 units and 3 forts with 1 unit behind in reserve. The rest moved to man the volkhov line and mayby that can free up 2-3 inf divisions to use south of lake ilmen

Post #: 92
RE: Axis on the Defense!! - 3/31/2013 7:31:25 PM   
Disgruntled Veteran

quote:

It looks like the finish troops arent used so much ? any reson why?

I didn't want to bleed them with attrition. Right now they have 90k men and 150k armaments pooled up. I need them t either hold out for a long while and/or bleed the Soviets a lot during their inevitable death spiral. Right now the Volkhov front is all regiments anyway. Probably a total of 4 divisions manning the whole thing.

(in reply to juret)
Post #: 93
RE: Axis on the Defense!! - 4/3/2013 9:12:20 AM   
Powloon

Just finished reading through this AAR really enjoying it (much more interesting than some of the others as it is not about gaming the game!). Interesting situation where your opponent has been under the cosh for so long and now the initiative has firmly passed to the Soviets. Hope this goes all the way will be very interesting to see if you find away to keep the Soviet Jugernaut at bay.

Good luck!

Post #: 94
RE: Axis on the Defense!! - 4/4/2013 7:27:09 PM   
Pelton

quote:

ORIGINAL: Disgruntled Veteran

TURN 126 - NOVEMBER 11, 1943 - SOUTHERN FRONT

In the South I was struck by how quickly A-Game collapsed the front as I was reluctant to give up space. He ZOC locked (and eventually trapped) 2 Romanian divisions near Rostov. Luckily my Romanian friends have withstood 2 direct assaults while isolated and lived. Im sure they are toast this turn though.

I think the breach is contained for now. I really need to hold him East of the Dnepr till Summer..doesn't look likely though.

Having the same issue in my 3 43+ games. I have desided in all 3 not to build the forts behind the rivers as it doesnt look possible to hold to summer.

< Message edited by Pelton -- 4/4/2013 7:41:05 PM >

GHC
22 - 4 - 8

15 games ended in 41 (15-0-0)
7 games ended in 42 (5-0-2)
8 games ended in 43 (2-3-3)
4 games ended in 44 (0-1-3)

General Cheesefinder of WitW

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8DiSQ36zfWk

Post #: 95
RE: Axis on the Defense!! - 4/4/2013 7:50:47 PM   
Pelton

80 hexes out with 75 left is not to bad considering there are 3 mud seasons still. min 15 mud turns. 80 hexes 60 turns left basicly.

Once you can get the ratio to 1 turn per 2 hexes from Berlin. Or 30 turns and 60 hexes from Berlin you got a Draw.

Your simply not going to get a minor win in this case.

In this game

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2792361

GHC was much farther to east and still got only a draw.

Its clearly impossible under the current rule set for SHC to have a shortage of men or armaments. Even attacking 50+ times a turn SHC manpower and armaments grows every turn.

I think your doing great, but the best you can do is a draw. Just the way the deck is stacked from the start.

GHC
22 - 4 - 8

Post #: 96
RE: Axis on the Defense!! - 4/5/2013 12:47:22 AM   
Disgruntled Veteran

quote:

ORIGINAL: Pelton

80 hexes out with 75 left is not to bad considering there are 3 mud seasons still. min 15 mud turns. 80 hexes 60 turns left basicly.

Once you can get the ratio to 1 turn per 2 hexes from Berlin. Or 30 turns and 60 hexes from Berlin you got a Draw.

In this game

Its clearly impossible under the current rule set for SHC to have a shortage of men or armaments. Even attacking 50+ times a turn SHC manpower and armaments grows every turn.

I think your doing great, but the best you can do is a draw. Just the way the deck is stacked from the start.

Yah..I'm starting to consider myself lucky If I can pull a draw. Fact is I've learned a lot of lessons on defense...only a bit to late. Right now I am experiencing the dreaded armaments crunch. I have 250k men in the bank but 0 armaments for the last 10 turns. While the front lines are getting reinforcements, its a limited amount because I dont have the gubs to place the rest. I've disbanded all my heavy artillery, some of my rockets (set the rest to 50%), and I am avoiding combat wherever possible. I am down to 3.1 million front line strength..this is down from 3.9 in June. I've also disbanded a few luftwaffe divisions that were around 20% as to avoid wasting reinforcements. It looks like the landbridge might be a space where I can check him. I'll post an update tomorrow but near Vitebsk I have 4 fort rows and I'm about to have 3 rows of defenders. 1 row on refit, 1 on reserve and the front. If I can't temporarily slow him down over the Winter I'm toast.

(in reply to Pelton)
Post #: 97
RE: Axis on the Defense!! - 4/5/2013 1:20:25 AM   
Pelton

quote:

quote:

In this game

Yah..I'm starting to consider myself lucky If I can pull a draw. Fact is I've learned a lot of lessons on defense...only a bit to late. Right now I am experiencing the dreaded armaments crunch. I have 250k men in the bank but 0 armaments for the last 10 turns. While the front lines are getting reinforcements, its a limited amount because I dont have the gubs to place the rest. I've disbanded all my heavy artillery, some of my rockets (set the rest to 50%), and I am avoiding combat wherever possible. I am down to 3.1 million front line strength..this is down from 3.9 in June. I've also disbanded a few luftwaffe divisions that were around 20% as to avoid wasting reinforcements. It looks like the landbridge might be a space where I can check him. I'll post an update tomorrow but near Vitebsk I have 4 fort rows and I'm about to have 3 rows of defenders. 1 row on refit, 1 on reserve and the front. If I can't temporarily slow him down over the Winter I'm toast.

disbanding any SU is a mistake.

X number of 150mm, 100mm or rockets ect ect get produced every turn so disbanding or lowing TOE% is not going to save a single arm pt, but only weaken your defences.

You have to disband HQ, airbase or any other support unit. I would also disband all LW bomber units and only use fighter or fighter bomber units.

The current armament issue is not historical at all.

Historically Germany had 10000 of planes,tanks ect ect but no men to use them. WITE we have 100,000 of men and no equipment?

Basicly we have equipment and men but no armament pts, silly and really not working at all.

GHC
22 - 4 - 8

Post #: 98
RE: Axis on the Defense!! - 4/5/2013 1:27:23 AM   
rmonical

quote:

X number of 150mm, 100mm or rockets ect ect get produced every turn so disbanding or lowing TOE% is not going to save a single arm pt, but only weaken your defences.

I thought that 'A' items are produced on demand. The reason disbanding artillery may help is because of high ammunition expenditure and armaments points are required for ammo.

(in reply to Pelton)
Post #: 99
RE: Axis on the Defense!! - 4/5/2013 1:29:21 AM   
Pelton

quote:

ORIGINAL: rmonical

quote:

I thought that 'A' items are produced on demand. The reason disbanding artillery may help is because of high ammunition expenditure and armaments points are required for ammo.

The ammo bug has been fixed so I am not seeing that as an issue any more.

The ammo bug was basicly a SHC exploit which was used unknowning by many, but by some as a hammer.

GHC
22 - 4 - 8

(in reply to rmonical)
Post #: 100
RE: Axis on the Defense!! - 4/5/2013 1:31:53 AM   
Disgruntled Veteran

quote:

ORIGINAL: rmonical

quote:

Yup. Rockets are really cheap to build but the ammo is very high. Same with heavy Artillery..the ammo is insanely expensive. Plus, I never see high CV's (max 1 CV) when artillery activates. Maybe I'm missing something but I dont see how arty is that helpful.

(in reply to rmonical)
Post #: 101
RE: Axis on the Defense!! - 4/5/2013 1:32:37 AM   
Disgruntled Veteran

What was the ammo bug?

I think it was fixed after our version. I'm playing 1.06.14 I think.

Post #: 102
RE: Axis on the Retreat!! - 4/6/2013 5:43:54 PM   
Disgruntled Veteran

TURN 133 - DECEMBER 30, 1943 - FINNISH FRONT

Up North some action finally decided to unfold. I noticed A-game slowly stripping the front near Lake Janis so I decided to attack to keep him honest. As my notes show I broke through but only exploited 1 hex. The next turn he quickly regrouped and railed in reinforcements. I since returned to my fortified line. A-Game decided to probe my line but was rebuked with stinging holds. The Finns extracted a steep blood toll. Hopefully A-Game sends a lot of weight against the Finns so they ease the pressure on the Germans. Personally, I think it's a strategic mistake for the Soviets to go against Finland to heavy. There isn't much of a point of it IMO.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 103
RE: Axis on the Retreat!! - 4/6/2013 5:52:54 PM   
Disgruntled Veteran

TURN 133 - DECEMBER 30, 1943 - NORTHERN FRONT IN SHAMBLES

A-Game responded a turn back telling me I was lucky I withdrew from the Volkhov when I did. He wasn't joking. Multiple guards mech and Tank Corps began exploiting a gap near Lake Ilmen. Because of my withdraw and the Blizzard terrain my retreat has been one step ahead of him the whole time. However, AGN has been hammered to pieces. Many of my divisions are between 20-40% TOE so a breather is desperately needed. I'm sending the newly arrived 16th SS Grenadier division, 25th Panzer, and 3 Luftwaffe divisions to reinforce the North.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 104
RE: Axis on the Retreat!! - 4/6/2013 5:58:15 PM   
Disgruntled Veteran

So can someone explain to me this "ammo bug" I've been hearing about? I've heard thats it's fixed but were playing version 1.06.14 and I don't remember hearing about this until after the next patch came out. Right now I just fell under 3 million front line strength and my guns are dropping 1k a turn. I have 300k men in reserve right now and my armaments just simply aren't coming in. I'm making 42k armaments a turn but it's clearly not enough to keep up with demand. I just want to know if this is the way the game is or If I'm the victim of a bug. I've disbanded nearly all my Corps artillery and level bombers to reduce ammo consumption but it's hard to tell if its having any serious effect. Luckily I get a huge armament production boost in 44.

So again, can someone explain what the "ammo bug" was/is and let me know what version it was fixed on?

Post #: 105
RE: Axis on the Retreat!! - 4/6/2013 6:56:20 PM   
Seminole

quote:

Plus, I never see high CV's (max 1 CV) when artillery activates. Maybe I'm missing something but I dont see how arty is that helpful.

My understanding is that arty can reduce man-made fort values and contributes toward disruption of enemy units as well. So their strength isn't obvious in your CV, but what they can do to the enemy's CV.

Post #: 106
RE: Axis on the Retreat!! - 4/7/2013 1:01:08 AM   
Pelton

quote:

So can someone explain to me this "ammo bug" I've been hearing about? I've heard thats it's fixed but were playing version 1.06.14 and I don't remember hearing about this until after the next patch came out. Right now I just fell under 3 million front line strength and my guns are dropping 1k a turn. I have 300k men in reserve right now and my armaments just simply aren't coming in. I'm making 42k armaments a turn but it's clearly not enough to keep up with demand. I just want to know if this is the way the game is or If I'm the victim of a bug. I've disbanded nearly all my Corps artillery and level bombers to reduce ammo consumption but it's hard to tell if its having any serious effect. Luckily I get a huge armament production boost in 44.

So again, can someone explain what the "ammo bug" was/is and let me know what version it was fixed on?

I personally am bitching my ass off on another forum, because this is same thing that is happening in many other games and totally screw tarhunnas to the point 2by3 had to hot patch armanemt point into this game:

But it would be nice if you reported this !!!!!!

I am just 1 voise in the wilderness!!!!!!!!!

GHC
22 - 4 - 8

Post #: 107
RE: Axis on the Retreat!! - 4/7/2013 8:52:54 PM   
Disgruntled Veteran

I might just do that Pelton. I know my next turn puts me in 44 so my armament production multiplier goes from 220 to 380. This should help field a lot more units. On my last turn I just reached 300k men in reserve and the fact that they are not being utilized has cost me an easy draw. I pull almost a dozen units off the front and place them on rails on refit and see very little change in most of them. Especially my motorized rifle squads. These units are rare as gold and a lot of my panzer units have 0 of them in their divisions.

I also still hold that disbanding my Corps artillery is helpful if only slightly so. They are not produced x number per turn (like tanks and planes) according to the manual but are produced by demand. So if the SU's don't need any than none will be produced thus reducing armament consumption. It also helps push these guns into my infantry divisions and reduces all around ammo consumption. What I really need is rifle squad production. I'm losing around 1200-1400 a turn and replacing about a 1k per turn. If this keeps up than I will be totally destroyed by end of 43-44 winter. Let's hope the 44 armament multiplier helps field some more men.

(in reply to Pelton)
Post #: 108
RE: Axis on the Retreat!! - 4/8/2013 1:51:29 AM   
Pelton

Disbanding the LW bombers I have found is a huge help, but should be done as soon as offensive operations are over.

Another thing to get units into the front is you need to have all divisions and HQ's at 91% toe. I have forts at 71%, SU's at 85% and don't forget I have disbanded 40+ Corps in all 3 games. I can't say for sure what the effect is over time, but based on my other games where I did not disband them and the 3 on going where I did it has an effect of getting more rifle squads to the front and some how (I have no idea why) saves on armaments.

In my game vs Hugh Mid Dec 43 I am at 200k in manpower and armaments is +5k to 0 depending on the turn. My pool I can "forse" down by building FZ's.

I am tring out another tactic in one of the 3 games to try and effect SHC armaments. I got the idea from playing SHC side of things.

The toe% that I use seems to be the best. Pulling units off line is zero help.

You will find that an army with no Corps just a army HQ will get more replasements then an army with the standard package.

The issue you will have now is if you disband Corps it probably to late. It has to be done starting in 41. I would try disbanded 1 army's Corps and see how it pans out first before doing the 40.

< Message edited by Pelton -- 4/8/2013 1:57:12 AM >

GHC
22 - 4 - 8

Post #: 109
RE: Axis on the Retreat!! - 4/8/2013 2:31:29 AM   
Disgruntled Veteran

I just got my first turn back in 1944. I can't do a full update tonight but the extra armament production from the 44 bonus has kicked in and helps a bit. My weekly armament output went form 41k to 61k in the Commander's report. I also fielded an additional 30k replacements more than normal. Many of my rearguard units finally got some life. Motorized squads are where my real pain is being felt but at least I am regaining some life. I have already disbanded all Corps that can be disbanded along with all the level bombers and all my artillery. My front line strength is holding at 3 million with 326k men in reserve pool. The Finns, the land bridge, and the Crimea are all holding firm the last 2 turns. Many holds for A-Game. For once I don't take an ass whooping and his OOB may have actually dropped.

(in reply to Pelton)
Post #: 110
RE: Axis on the Retreat!! - 4/10/2013 4:49:48 PM   
Pelton

Nice keep us posted on the manpower and armaments pools if you would.

Keeping a close eye on your game as you are a few turns ahead of several of mine.

OOB up-date would be great also.

Hows SHC doing with trucks?

< Message edited by Pelton -- 4/10/2013 4:51:09 PM >

GHC
22 - 4 - 8

Post #: 111
RE: Axis on the Retreat!! - 4/12/2013 1:32:42 AM   
Disgruntled Veteran

OOB

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Pelton)
Post #: 112
RE: Axis on the Retreat!! - 4/12/2013 2:00:19 AM   
Disgruntled Veteran

TURN 136 - JANUARY 20, 1944 - AGN

Overall AGN is in decent shape..at least compared to the other AG's. 18. Army has been avoided the last 2 turns and has recovered up to an average of 80% TOE. They are digging into Estonia but may be defeated by default if 4th Panzer and 16. army can't hold their Southern Flank. The Finns continue to frustrate the Soviets by repeated holds and stubbornly clinging to every hex. After 3 turns of mass assaults the Reds finally won one battle but were unable to occupy it. I have 2 divisions in reserve behind the Neva to swap out and rebuild. This turn I need to hold the Finnish Panzer Division out so hopefully the line can hold without it.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 113
RE: Axis on the Retreat!! - 4/12/2013 2:07:28 AM   
Disgruntled Veteran

TURN 136 - JANUARY 20, 1944 - AGC

The pictures explain it all. Note the Southern view of my trapped division from 16. Army. With such an exposed flank I'm sure that division is toast. To attempt a breakout would endanger the whole 16. Army. Unfortunately it looks as though I will have to pull AGC's left flank back to solidify the line.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 114
RE: Axis on the Retreat!! - 4/12/2013 2:17:02 AM   
Disgruntled Veteran

TURN 136 - JANUARY 20, 1944 - AGS

As you can see AGS has taken a beating and is probably the worst off the 3 AG's. (AGS/AGA). Aside from the 50k men trapped in the pocket most of 1st Panzer and 17th Armies have an average of 30-40% TOE. This is a relic of the inadequate armaments in 43 and the lack of motorised rifle squads being built. Luckily in 44 I'm able to pull a few divisions a turn off the line and get them in decent shape (65-70% TOE) with refit in the rear. What I really need is a few turns of no attack to rebuild and field my reserve manpower. Not likely to happen for at least 10 more turns though. Probably not going to have much of the Dnepr line left come Summer.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 115
RE: Axis on the Retreat!! - 4/12/2013 2:29:33 PM   
Pelton

You could try withdrawing 1 hex per turn, this will give you 1 logistic phase per turn of no contact with enemy. I am not sure if your distance to Berlin turn ratio is 1 to 1 still? Not counting Mud.

Movement for infantry is slow for SHC rifle Corp, terrain+blizzard+moving into an emeny hex+moving into a ZOC. This tactic will lower atrition losses, lower combat tempo, up trucks required.

If your tring for a draw?

Not sure what river lines you plan on using by June 44, but it be time to start working on it. August 44 to Dec 44 you get a + 18 divisions and from Jan 45 to April +51.

Warsaw is about 30 hexes from Berlin and the front is very short. IF you were some wheres near that area with say 40 turns left you have a good chance of holding on for a draw.

You simply can't afford any more cut off units, start pulling back were your turns to hexes ratio to Berlin is 1 to 1 or positive. looks like you have a buffer still. You need to form an armored reserve so you can easly hit back at his Cav thrust a few turns=huge losses in trucks if you route them. Once you start shortening lines and getting 1 logistic phase per turn out of contact your OOB=CV should start going up and his dropping from fatigure/supply issues.

just a thought, them stacks of 40 CV rifle drop quickly as they fatigue

< Message edited by Pelton -- 4/12/2013 2:36:17 PM >

GHC
22 - 4 - 8

Post #: 116
RE: Axis on the Retreat!! - 4/12/2013 3:56:53 PM   
delatbabel

It's a mistake to think the Russians gain nothing by going against the Finns hard. In most games I send an entire front up there because I can afford to (Steppe Front or similar), at some point the Finns run out of reinforcements, the units crack up into 1 CV tadpoles and there are a lot of easy wins for the Soviets. Last time I did this I came back with most of that front in guards status and morale over 75% for some units.

Like Pelton says, morale is king. You get morale from winning battles, doesn't matter how you win them. 5 rifle corps hitting 1 x 1 CV brigade are all still going to get +1 morale.

Also -- sending 6th Army south. Good luck with that, it's always worked in the past.

--
Del

(in reply to Pelton)
Post #: 117
RE: Axis on the Retreat!! - 4/13/2013 12:28:34 AM   
Disgruntled Veteran

quote:

ORIGINAL: delatbabel

It's a mistake to think the Russians gain nothing by going against the Finns hard. In most games I send an entire front up there because I can afford to (Steppe Front or similar), at some point the Finns run out of reinforcements, the units crack up into 1 CV tadpoles and there are a lot of easy wins for the Soviets. Last time I did this I came back with most of that front in guards status and morale over 75% for some units.

Like Pelton says, morale is king. You get morale from winning battles, doesn't matter how you win them. 5 rifle corps hitting 1 x 1 CV brigade are all still going to get +1 morale.

Also -- sending 6th Army south. Good luck with that, it's always worked in the past.

Well so far he's won one battle out of the last 7 or 8 against the Finns. I'm also scoring a near 15 to 1 kill ratio so right now I absolutely love the contact. With the whole front made of mostly heavy woods and swamps its a defensive paradise. I also have lvl 4 fort lines to fall back on if my Leningrad line breaks.

(in reply to delatbabel)
Post #: 118
RE: Axis on the Retreat!! - 4/13/2013 12:29:52 AM   
Disgruntled Veteran

quote:

You could try withdrawing 1 hex per turn, this will give you 1 logistic phase per turn of no contact with enemy. I am not sure if your distance to Berlin turn ratio is 1 to 1 still? Not counting Mud.

Movement for infantry is slow for SHC rifle Corp, terrain+blizzard+moving into an emeny hex+moving into a ZOC. This tactic will lower atrition losses, lower combat tempo, up trucks required.

If your tring for a draw?

Not sure what river lines you plan on using by June 44, but it be time to start working on it. August 44 to Dec 44 you get a + 18 divisions and from Jan 45 to April +51.

Warsaw is about 30 hexes from Berlin and the front is very short. IF you were some wheres near that area with say 40 turns left you have a good chance of holding on for a draw.

You simply can't afford any more cut off units, start pulling back were your turns to hexes ratio to Berlin is 1 to 1 or positive. looks like you have a buffer still. You need to form an armored reserve so you can easly hit back at his Cav thrust a few turns=huge losses in trucks if you route them. Once you start shortening lines and getting 1 logistic phase per turn out of contact your OOB=CV should start going up and his dropping from fatigure/supply issues.

just a thought, them stacks of 40 CV rifle drop quickly as they fatigue

Thanks for the advice! Those five divisions in the South actually had a 1 hex buffer and good flank support. Problem was that most of the units were low CV and easily pushed aside. The armaments are helping but I need some time.

(in reply to Pelton)
Post #: 119
RE: Axis on the Retreat!! - 4/14/2013 2:55:36 PM   
Disgruntled Veteran

TURN 137 - JANUARY 27, 1944 - AGA Part 1

I'm willing to bet that not too many players have seen this before? After last turn I freed the encircled units in such a manner that it allowed my isolated units to isolate 3 Tank/Mech Corps. I used the Rumanians to complete the isolation (I knew there was no hope in hell of it holding, it was just to injure those units the following turn). When the Russians broke the encirclement it pushed the Hungarians and Rumanians together. Needless to say they were re-isolated the following turn..then freed again.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 120
Page:   <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> After Action Reports >> RE: Axis on the Defense!! Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI