Matrix Games Forums

Deal of the Week Battle Academy Battle Academy 2 Out now!Legions of Steel ready for betaBattle Academy 2 gets trailers and Steam page!Deal of the Week Germany at WarSlitherine Group acquires Shenandoah StudioNew information and screenshots for Pike & ShotDeal of the Week Pride of NationsTo End All Wars Releasing on Steam! Slitherine is recruiting: Programmers required
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Any flight simulator players out there?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Any flight simulator players out there? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Any flight simulator players out there? - 10/3/2012 5:32:57 PM   
RisingSun

Just bumped into this while in beta and look really good and realistic. Not sure how far players can go with this sim, but i bet it gotta be fun as long have decent pc performance.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i5N1pxOdHBs&feature=context-vrec
Post #: 1
RE: Any flight simulator players out there? - 10/3/2012 5:45:07 PM   
GreyJoy

I used to. I've been playing IL2 Sturmovick (and all its sequels) for 6 years.... Online, in full real servers it's a BLAST!!!!
The problem is that it's too time consuming... on those "full swicth" servers you need at least 2-3 hours of constant play in order to achieve something (take off, 20 minutes of fly to climb and get into the front, dogfight etc...)...and during that time you cannot asnwer the phone, you cannot pause, you cannot even go to the bathroom if needed (when you play in a squadron, you have a role (wingman, leader, whatever) and you cannot simply let alone the other guys because you have to pee...They count on you!

I remember playing in "ZekeVs.Wildcat" server...it was amazing...

(in reply to RisingSun)
Post #: 2
RE: Any flight simulator players out there? - 10/3/2012 6:04:11 PM   
Apollo11

Hi all,

I was involved (ALPHA / BETA / Development) with many significant flight sims in past 15+ years (Su-27 Flanker series, Falcon F4, MS Flight Sim series, MS Combat Flight Sim series, Il-2 series)!

Recently I don't have as much time to fly as I once had though... <SIGH>

This video is from upcoming arcade flight sim "World of Warplanes" from the makers of "World of Tanks" (they will be releasing "World of Warships" as well):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_of_tanks

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_of_Warships

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_of_Warplanes

Leo "Apollo11"

Prior Preparation & Planning Prevents Pathetically Poor Performance!

A & B: WitW, WitE, WbtS, GGWaW, GGWaW2-AWD, HttR, CotA, BftB, CF
P: UV, WitP, WitP-AE

(in reply to RisingSun)
Post #: 3
RE: Any flight simulator players out there? - 10/3/2012 6:21:18 PM   
Schanilec

I used to do flights sims. I haven't upgraded for a long time to handle flight sims. Silent Hunter is as close as I get now a days.
There is a really good Japanese video called the Battle of the santa Cruz Islands. The animation is great. The sound is kinda lacking (might be on my end, but I don't believe it is. And some of the commanders are okay. But check out the video via google. I enjoyed it.

This is one Czech that doesn't bounce.

(in reply to Apollo11)
Post #: 4
RE: Any flight simulator players out there? - 10/3/2012 6:41:24 PM   
Fallschirmjager

I still fire up IL-2 1946 every now and then. The game has held up well over the years including the graphics. Too bad the sequel was DOA.

I also 'play' DCS Blackshark, A-10 Warthog and P-51. And by play I mean struggle mightily to do even the most basic flight functions and then smash my head into my desk repeatedly out of frustration.
But they are all three excellent simulations. They just demand a lot of time and excellent hardware both PC wise and control input wise.

I also used to play Rowan's Battle of Britain, the Lock On Series and one of my all time favorites and one of the most underrated sims of all time, MiG Alley. Still the only game I know that simulated the Korean War air war. Unfortunately the graphics have not held up well and while the dogfighting is still excellent, it was never a great game in terms of ground support modeling.

I also play driving sims, GTR 2 and Race 07. F1 2012 and when I want something more casual but still fun Forza 4 on XBox.
Forza is one of the finest driving games I have played, the graphics are superb and the physics are good but still forgiving enough to be fun. And it is as close as I will ever come to seeing or driving some of those cars.

(in reply to Schanilec)
Post #: 5
RE: Any flight simulator players out there? - 10/3/2012 7:39:42 PM   
crsutton

Il2 has been around for a decade. It is still one of the best in my opinion. The greatest thing about it is that you get to fly literally hundreds of different aircraft. Many never seen in any other flight sim. (IAR-81 anyone!). For that reason alone I find it to be fun. I see there are some new user add ons that I have yet to fly. Have to look them over.

I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg

(in reply to Fallschirmjager)
Post #: 6
RE: Any flight simulator players out there? - 10/3/2012 8:10:41 PM   
janh

quote:

ORIGINAL: Fallschirmjager
I also used to play Rowan's Battle of Britain, the Lock On Series and one of my all time favorites and one of the most underrated sims of all time, MiG Alley. Still the only game I know that simulated the Korean War air war.

A looooong time ago there was Chuck Yeagers air-combat, which offered many planes and bridged many decades of conflicts including korea. Wasn't great, though.

I used to play flight sims a lot until about 10 years ago, when I switched to Operation Flashpoint and strategy gaming. I have been planning on getting into the IL-2 series, though, and bought it a while ago. Just need new stick/throttle/pedals gear, that together with TrackIr ought to be fun.

Back in time, I loved "Secret Weapons of the Luftwaffe". Not only because of topic and the plentiful plane types, but also because of the strategic component and the industry/building part. The catch was the AI and flight models were poor, by that was more or less the standard in those days. Beyond that, Falcon 4, the old "Aces over..." or the "Jane's" series come to mind. Ah, and of course "European Air War", that was pretty good.

One of my all-time favorite remains a chopper sim, though: "Jane's Apache Longbow". The love of detail and realism (nothing beats digesting a 400 page handbook during christmas days) was just stunning back then. Too bad no one really picked that up for a sequel.

< Message edited by janh -- 10/3/2012 8:11:41 PM >

Post #: 7
RE: Any flight simulator players out there? - 10/3/2012 9:10:39 PM   
RisingSun

There so many sims i use to play back then, like some of you guys mention here. I still love my Falcon 3.0 and before that, Jane's Apache Longbow, etcs. I havent been flying since late 90's, now stucked into grand scale strategy wargames mostly on my time.

(in reply to janh)
Post #: 8
RE: Any flight simulator players out there? - 10/3/2012 9:35:00 PM   
Fallschirmjager

I forgot to mention all the hours I have sunk into Falcon 4.0 Allied Force
http://www.lead-pursuit.com/products.htm
It is a massive commercial upgrade of the original Falcon 4.0
The graphics are pretty poor but still get the job done and the flight model, weapons modeling and dynamic campaign are still superb.
It is the only hardcore flight sim that depicts a modern fighter jet that I have been able to master and enjoy.

DCS sims while being excellent I just can't spend enough hours with to master.

(in reply to RisingSun)
Post #: 9
RE: Any flight simulator players out there? - 10/4/2012 12:40:42 AM   
TheLoneGunman

There's also Free Falcon.

Post #: 10
RE: Any flight simulator players out there? - 10/4/2012 12:46:53 AM   
Sakai007

I am a current flight sim guy, been at it since I was 10 (29 now) and still love it! Currently, I am really getting into Rise of Flight as my rig will finally run it after upgrading the graphics card. IL2 is my WWII fix, Strike Fighters 2 does the Cold War, and FreeFalcon and/or Flaming Cliffs 3. I tested this game with my old gfx card and my rig couldn't handle it. The graphical quality is near to Rise of Flight so you can bet I will be giving it another try in the near future. :D

(in reply to TheLoneGunman)
Post #: 11
RE: Any flight simulator players out there? - 10/4/2012 3:11:10 AM   
sanch

I used to play one called "Their Finest Hour", by Lucasfilms Games. An old DOS program, but I spent a lot of hours rattling around in Hurricanes and Spitfires.

To get an idea of how old this was, my wife, after watching me being frustrated with the keyboard controls, went and gave me, for my birthday, a ... mouse!!! An amazing improvement in gameplay.

(in reply to Sakai007)
Post #: 12
RE: Any flight simulator players out there? - 10/4/2012 6:11:16 AM   
Erkki

RisingSun: unfortunately the War Thunder is unlikely to be a simulation... But rather a multiplayer action/role playing game with flying elements and some physics. I guess the eye candy helps it a alot. Its sad how during the last 10 years(literally now!!!) the only WW2 flight simulators published have been the original Il-2 and its add-ons and and the new Il-2 CloD. In many ways the classic wargaming scene is doing better than the flight simulations.

Been playing/flying Il-2 and other flight simulators, mostly online and full difficulty/realism, since the year 2000 myself but I have been busy lately with little free time... But I hope that to change at some point! I probably know many here better by some other names, but myself I use the same name here as in the HyperLobby(http://hyperfighter.sk - free multiplayer lobby for il2 and many other sims), just without the squad prefix.

(in reply to sanch)
Post #: 13
RE: Any flight simulator players out there? - 10/4/2012 7:07:01 AM   
LoBaron

Erkki said it already. Not a flightsim but an arcade shooter with great graphics.
Nothing bad about it, only not my taste.

Vintage combat sims there is nothing better than IL2 for WWII and RoF for WWI.
Cliffs of Dover sadly is a nice demo, but is so bugged and incomplete that I shelved
it (IL2 was bad on release as well, but not this bad).

I do hope that Battle of Mocow, the sequel to CoD, will have the lessons learned included
from the catastrophic initial release. Then there might again be a WWII simulation to talk about.

S**t happens in war.

All hail the superior ones!

(in reply to RisingSun)
Post #: 14
RE: Any flight simulator players out there? - 10/4/2012 8:46:13 AM   
janh

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: TheLoneGunman

Ok, got to look into those. The first impression is that Free Falcon could be a worthy successor to old "Jane's Fighter Anthology". DCS focuses only on Hinds and Hokums, right?

I recall "Their finest hour", also a pretty addicting game in the 90s. What I like most about those titles was that the game ideas back then involved more than just the core flight part, but also dynamic campaigns or other gimmics.

In the late 90s early 2000s the flight simulations kinda dropped a lot of the gimmics and focused only on better cockpits, flight mechanics and stuff. While that was great, I still need some story or bigger picture to drag me in.
Does someone remember "Strike Commander"? The story behind that one was just awesome. I'd go for a sequel, if anyone would ever do it.

Post #: 15
RE: Any flight simulator players out there? - 10/4/2012 9:00:46 AM   
ilovestrategy

I used to play the Jetfighter series, even though it was a bit "arcady". Jetfighter 4 bombed though in quality. The series never recovered after that.

After 16 years, Civ II still has me in it's clutches LOL!!!
Now CIV IV has me in it's evil clutches!

(in reply to janh)
Post #: 16
RE: Any flight simulator players out there? - 10/4/2012 10:15:43 AM   
RisingSun

quote:

ORIGINAL: Erkki

RisingSun: unfortunately the War Thunder is unlikely to be a simulation... But rather a multiplayer action/role playing game with flying elements and some physics. I guess the eye candy helps it a alot. Its sad how during the last 10 years(literally now!!!) the only WW2 flight simulators published have been the original Il-2 and its add-ons and and the new Il-2 CloD. In many ways the classic wargaming scene is doing better than the flight simulations.

Been playing/flying Il-2 and other flight simulators, mostly online and full difficulty/realism, since the year 2000 myself but I have been busy lately with little free time... But I hope that to change at some point! I probably know many here better by some other names, but myself I use the same name here as in the HyperLobby(http://hyperfighter.sk - free multiplayer lobby for il2 and many other sims), just without the squad prefix.

Believe you are right, just like Battlestation Pacific and wishes it was realism. Just not many good flight sims that i like in the Pacific during WWII. I played a few, but didnt feel right. Believe my first, favorite flight sim was Falcon, before 3.0 came out. Also remember playing F-19 stealth fighter by micro prose and joint strike fighter is pretty good too. There are so many of them i havent played yet. Here it is, found it on ebay...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Falcon-A-T-F-16-Flight-Simulator-PC-Games-1988-/380277250149?pt=Video_Games_Games&hash=item588a4a5865

< Message edited by RisingSun -- 10/4/2012 10:23:21 AM >

(in reply to Erkki)
Post #: 17
RE: Any flight simulator players out there? - 10/4/2012 10:58:30 AM   
Reg

quote:

ORIGINAL: sanch

I used to play one called "Their Finest Hour", by Lucasfilms Games. An old DOS program, but I spent a lot of hours rattling around in Hurricanes and Spitfires.

To get an idea of how old this was, my wife, after watching me being frustrated with the keyboard controls, went and gave me, for my birthday, a ... mouse!!! An amazing improvement in gameplay.

If you had an Amiga it came with a mouse and the graphics in the Amiga version of "Their Finest Hour" were better too......

Spent many an hour on this one.

Cheers,
Reg.

(One day I will learn to spell - or check before posting....)
Uh oh, Firefox has introduced a spell checker!! What excuse can I use now!!!

(in reply to sanch)
Post #: 18
RE: Any flight simulator players out there? - 10/4/2012 7:25:18 PM   
Fallschirmjager

quote:

ORIGINAL: janh

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: TheLoneGunman

Ok, got to look into those. The first impression is that Free Falcon could be a worthy successor to old "Jane's Fighter Anthology". DCS focuses only on Hinds and Hokums, right?

I recall "Their finest hour", also a pretty addicting game in the 90s. What I like most about those titles was that the game ideas back then involved more than just the core flight part, but also dynamic campaigns or other gimmics.

In the late 90s early 2000s the flight simulations kinda dropped a lot of the gimmics and focused only on better cockpits, flight mechanics and stuff. While that was great, I still need some story or bigger picture to drag me in.
Does someone remember "Strike Commander"? The story behind that one was just awesome. I'd go for a sequel, if anyone would ever do it.

Sorry, I should not have put those two thoughts together.
DCS has nothing to do with Falcon 4.0 Allied force.

Allied Force was developed by a company called Lead Pursuit. If you are looking for a bigger story and 'context' to your missions then Allied Force is great for that. It has two completely dynamic campaigns that simulate a real war extremely well.
One campaign is set in a fictional Korean War and the other is set in a Fictional Balkans war that is similar to the Nato action against Serbia in the late 90's.

(in reply to janh)
Post #: 19
RE: Any flight simulator players out there? - 10/4/2012 8:07:19 PM   
Lokasenna

There are at least 2 new WW2 Pacific flight sims coming out on Steam in the near future...

Post #: 20
RE: Any flight simulator players out there? - 10/5/2012 4:48:15 AM   
crsutton

My first was Battlehawks 1942 by Lucas Arts. I bought it in 1989. Had to go out and upgrade from an EGA monitor to VGA which really pissed my wife off. A PC type computer cost about two grand in those days-which might be over four grand in today's dollars.

VGA monitor, 40 Megabyte HD and 2 megs of RAM and an intel 286 processor. I was living large back then...Flying those zeros.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by crsutton -- 10/5/2012 4:49:37 AM >

I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg

(in reply to Lokasenna)
Post #: 21
RE: Any flight simulator players out there? - 10/5/2012 10:05:52 AM   
RisingSun

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lokasenna

There are at least 2 new WW2 Pacific flight sims coming out on Steam in the near future...

I saw them and wasnt that great and still arcade styles, War Thunder will probably be much better.

quote:

ORIGINAL: crsutton

My first was Battlehawks 1942 by Lucas Arts. I bought it in 1989. Had to go out and upgrade from an EGA monitor to VGA which really pissed my wife off. A PC type computer cost about two grand in those days-which might be over four grand in today's dollars.

VGA monitor, 40 Megabyte HD and 2 megs of RAM and an intel 286 processor. I was living large back then...Flying those zeros.

Heh i alot of fun playing that back then, look like running under 8bit color. Hard to believe back in mid 80s with pc games and now it is really huge with impressive graphics.

(in reply to Lokasenna)
Post #: 22
RE: Any flight simulator players out there? - 10/5/2012 1:44:40 PM   
Odin

Battlehawks 1942!!!

This was the start of my interest in flight sims and pacific war in special.

Played many game after it and i remember my beloved Falcon 4...with the best dynamic campaign ever created.

To bad modern sims had no such dynamics...

Sometimes i play IL2 were i mostly fly in the pacific.

Take a look in to free falcon but i dont like it...

(in reply to RisingSun)
Post #: 23
RE: Any flight simulator players out there? - 10/19/2012 2:49:46 PM   
Warrant officer 0/0

quote:

Falcon 4.0 Allied force

Picked this one up a while ago. Due to AE(and others),could not put much
time into it. How much "rulebook" time will i need to learn how to fly
this sim?

WO 0/0

(in reply to Odin)
Post #: 24
RE: Any flight simulator players out there? - 10/19/2012 4:42:43 PM   
Erkki

quote:

ORIGINAL: Warrant officer 0/0

quote:

Falcon 4.0 Allied force

this sim?

WO 0/0

I think its about 700 pages. But as with every other flight sim you can switch difficulty settings(including avionics from very simplified to real thing) on, off and in between. The Falcon 4.0 BMS full game modification is pretty cool, updates the game to 2012, other than the core engine of course.

(in reply to Warrant officer 0/0)
Post #: 25
RE: Any flight simulator players out there? - 10/19/2012 6:17:36 PM   
Fallschirmjager

quote:

ORIGINAL: Warrant officer 0/0

quote:

Falcon 4.0 Allied force

this sim?

WO 0/0

The game has a good autopilot included. You can put it on autopilot and have it taxi and take off and fly you to your target. From there, you can take over and do your mission and then break off and put it back on auto pilot and it will fly you back to your base and land for you.

The game can be simplified to where your engines start up with the press of one button. Actually flying the craft is pretty simple. The F-16 has excellent power to weight and maneuverability. The biggest challenge is managing your radar and weapons systems.
Locating threats, targets, navigating and managing your 'office'. And you have to do all this while being conscious of threats, AA sites, enemy fighters and Allies.

(in reply to Warrant officer 0/0)
Post #: 26
RE: Any flight simulator players out there? - 10/19/2012 9:33:03 PM   
Warrant officer 0/0

quote:

biggest challenge is managing your radar and weapons systems

I had the old(DOS 5.0) of Falcon 3.0 some time back. Could never seem to win any
of the built in campaigns. Would either have my entire squadron shot down within 10
days,or run out of squadron fuel allocations,thus grounded until the next
resupply day.

The radar system was(to me) perplexing, with different modes & ranges to be set.
I seem to remember a forest of SAM's to avoid, & wingmen who did not always
fight logically.

WO 0/0

Post #: 27
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Any flight simulator players out there? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI