Matrix Games Forums

Deal of the Week - Pride of NationsA new update for Piercing Fortress EuropaNew screenshots for War in the West!Pike & Shot is now available!Server Maintenance Battle Academy 2 gets updated!Deal of the Week: Advanced Tactics Gold Ask Buzz Aldrin!Pike & Shot gets Release Date and Twitch Session!Deal of the Week Espana 1936
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Campaign for North Africa (Complete) by Bob Cross issue

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III >> Campaign for North Africa (Complete) by Bob Cross issue Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Campaign for North Africa (Complete) by Bob Cross issue - 10/3/2012 8:31:23 AM   
burroughs

Hello fellow wargamers

I am in a dire need of technical advise. We have been playing, me and an opponent of mine, the above mentioned scenario under TOAW III 3.4, advanced options , no high supply. For some reason we were not able move past turn 60- each time I tried to load the other guy's game turn in the .pbl file format I was able to watch the replay, but then , on loading the scenario status, the interface was freezing at checking the Commonwealth replacements then the screen was going blank white and the program ceased to respond. We both redne our turns at some point,but the issue stroke again so there was apparently no other choice, but to deem the game imposible to be carried on to any kind of conclusion and move on to something else. I checked the files on each of my machines, I hapen to have four, two PC and two portable ones, laptops I mean, each one operating Windows XP SP 3. any ideas on the subject? We are considering going for McBride's " Braunschweig" or the like, but what about if the nasty thing cmes back to wreck the day?

"-What if one doesn't make it?
-Then we know he was no good for SpetsNaz. ..."
V. Suvorov, "Spetsnaz;the Story behind the Soviet SAS"

...No escape from Passchendaele .../ God Dethroned, "Passiondale"

Post #: 1
RE: Campaign for North Africa (Complete) by Bob Cross i... - 10/3/2012 9:43:20 AM   
Oberst_Klink

Witam!

Could you be a bit more specific? I only encountered problems with CFNA when I played it on a 1.6Ghz 2GB RAM netbook. Becasue of the naval routine it hang up a few times. What are your specs?

Klink, Oberst

Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam
(Marcus Porcius Cato Censorius)

Visit the Gefechtsstand!

(in reply to burroughs)
Post #: 2
RE: Campaign for North Africa (Complete) by Bob Cross i... - 10/3/2012 10:55:23 AM   
General Staff

quote:

ORIGINAL: burroughs

Any ideas on the subject?
That's a lot of wasted effort. Maybe if both of you email me a copy of your last PBEM turn with password, I'll try and load either/or/both and see what happens.

I've a fairly robust setup- decent laptop, Win7, all mod cons, so I've never had a problem IIRC I couldn't solve (except Opart 3.exe issues).

Oh, and you can usually trust me unless you're playing against me...

Tactics are based on Weapons... Strategy on Movement... and Movement on Supply.
(J. F. C. Fuller 1878-1966)

(in reply to burroughs)
Post #: 3
RE: Campaign for North Africa (Complete) by Bob Cross i... - 10/3/2012 2:06:11 PM   
Curtis Lemay

quote:

Hello fellow wargamers

I am in a dire need of technical advise. We have been playing, me and an opponent of mine, the above mentioned scenario under TOAW III 3.4, advanced options , no high supply. For some reason we were not able move past turn 60- each time I tried to load the other guy's game turn in the .pbl file format I was able to watch the replay, but then , on loading the scenario status, the interface was freezing at checking the Commonwealth replacements then the screen was going blank white and the program ceased to respond. We both redne our turns at some point,but the issue stroke again so there was apparently no other choice, but to deem the game imposible to be carried on to any kind of conclusion and move on to something else. I checked the files on each of my machines, I hapen to have four, two PC and two portable ones, laptops I mean, each one operating Windows XP SP 3. any ideas on the subject? We are considering going for McBride's " Braunschweig" or the like, but what about if the nasty thing cmes back to wreck the day?

You're not waiting long enough. Give the calculations time to finish.

(in reply to burroughs)
Post #: 4
RE: Campaign for North Africa (Complete) by Bob Cross i... - 10/3/2012 2:09:21 PM   
burroughs

The laptops are Mobile DualCore Intel Core 2 Duo T5500, 1666 MHz (10 x 167), 1015 MB (DDR2-533 DDR2 SDRAM), the PCs range from 3.8 Ghz to 1,2 GHz and RAM 2GBs and 1 GB respectively, the laptops operate on integrated graphic cards Mobile Intel(R) 945 Express Chipset Family (224 MB), the PCs have Nvidia Geforce , the stronger one is GT 7600 series, the other one can't recall now, but I use that the least.Anything else? ... Thanks for the responses.

(in reply to General Staff)
Post #: 5
RE: Campaign for North Africa (Complete) by Bob Cross i... - 10/3/2012 2:17:04 PM   
burroughs

You mean over an hour? I think I have already tried that and it doesn't work, I haven't had such a problem with bigger scenarios, Falotti's WWI worked flawlessly everywhere for instance and I won't leave the PC on, leaving for work, just to have the turn loaded, I realy don't think it was designed to work that way, I can remember some generric "Operation>Flashpoint<" custom scenarios which did not allow to save the progress which was the game engine flaw that hadn't been designed to serve such purposes and that many scripts and strings at work so the guys used to leave thir machines on for days on end to make any progress ... No, thanks. There's something wrong with that.I saw the screen going blank wait and knew it was going to take somemore time, but no that much without any change to the game status, besides I am not that much desperate to play any scenario for such a cost in terms of the time and the effort and the awkward handling of the stuff.

(in reply to burroughs)
Post #: 6
RE: Campaign for North Africa (Complete) by Bob Cross i... - 10/3/2012 2:19:45 PM   
burroughs

So what's the mail address of Yours, Chris? ...

Post #: 7
RE: Campaign for North Africa (Complete) by Bob Cross i... - 10/3/2012 2:22:50 PM   
Curtis Lemay

quote:

You mean over an hour? I think I have already tried that and it doesn't work, I haven't had such a problem with bigger scenarios, Falotti's WWI worked flawlessly everywhere for instance and I won't leave the PC on, leaving for work, just to have the turn loaded, I realy don't think it was designed to work that way, I can remember some generric "Operation>Flashpoint<" custom scenarios which did not allow to save the progress which was the game engine flaw that hadn't been designed to serve such purposes and that many scripts and strings at work so the guys used to leave thir machines on for days on end to make any progress ... No, thanks. There's something wrong with that.I saw the screen going blank wait and knew it was going to take somemore time, but no that much without any change to the game status, besides I am not that much desperate to play any scenario for such a cost in terms of the time and the effort and the awkward handling of the stuff.

As you wish, but that is the problem. You are not waiting long enough.

(in reply to burroughs)
Post #: 8
RE: Campaign for North Africa (Complete) by Bob Cross i... - 10/3/2012 2:36:00 PM   
burroughs

Ah, Mr. Bob Cross himself, I presume. Well, I guess that explains everything - but for : why me? ... Why us? ... Why the scenario? ...

(in reply to Curtis Lemay)
Post #: 9
RE: Campaign for North Africa (Complete) by Bob Cross i... - 10/3/2012 2:50:27 PM   
Curtis Lemay

quote:

Ah, Mr. Bob Cross himself, I presume. Well, I guess that explains everything - but for : why me? ... Why us? ... Why the scenario? ...

CFNA has a lot of deep water hexes. So ship replacement routines take a long time to decide where to place them - at least that's what Ralph says. It's improved a bunch in 3.5.

But I don't see the problem. Just go do something else for a bit. If you were playing the original CFNA board game you would have to do all the calculations by hand!

(in reply to burroughs)
Post #: 10
RE: Campaign for North Africa (Complete) by Bob Cross i... - 10/3/2012 3:06:10 PM   
burroughs

Yes,indeed, in the previous turns some of the RN ships were destroyed or damaged in Tobruk by the advancing DAK- I couldn't withdraw them as their formation was reorganizing since the previous turn,a nasty surprise as I was rotating them in order not to let the Luftwaffe aircraft to have a go at them should the krauts manage to bring some decent anti naval airstrike cspability to bear and intothe theater - only t have the ships stuck in port dur to their higher-ups apparent inefficiency.

That last one sounds a bit sarcastic and wrongly aimed - I have always praised the PCs for allowing me to leave the arithmetics and handling of all the game engine mechanics toour beloved machines. Starting well over twenty years ago ,playing "The Space Merchant" solitaire overand over again I was dreaming of a device that would help in remembering all of the things that I had to do for each of the parties involved oneach turn. I was perfectly well poised for embracing the CPU et alia once they came, the dream made flesh.

(in reply to Curtis Lemay)
Post #: 11
RE: Campaign for North Africa (Complete) by Bob Cross i... - 10/3/2012 3:18:13 PM   
General Staff

OK- started…

1) It loaded playback OK.
2) I skipped playback. Straight in.
3) Showing “Checking Replacements: Commonwealth”… Window Title says “The Operational Art of War- Campaign for North Africa 40-43 (PBEM) (Not Responding)”

I can load another current PBEM of mine in another process window and it runs fine. In fact I started up Falotti’s “The Great War 1914 - 1918” in Computer-Computer mode and again- Window Title says “The Operational Art of War- The Great War 1914 - 1918 (PBEM) (Not Responding)”.

By the time I finished this post- and put it up- everything was humming along in both scenarios. I tried moving LRDG a but it was in reorg, so I had to settle for KDGd and no problem there. Simultaneously Falotti’s scenario was humming along just fine (well for WWI anyway).

So all’s well. As Bob says give it time. If you’ve further troubles we might look at your msconfig settings (startup, services etc…) but PC spec looks perfectly adequate (heavy on graphics are we?). 5 minutes tops for all to run here.

Hope this helps.

< Message edited by General Staff -- 10/3/2012 3:21:37 PM >

Tactics are based on Weapons... Strategy on Movement... and Movement on Supply.
(J. F. C. Fuller 1878-1966)

(in reply to burroughs)
Post #: 12
RE: Campaign for North Africa (Complete) by Bob Cross i... - 10/3/2012 4:10:04 PM   
burroughs

Thanks a lot ,gentelmen. I'll see to it and let You know if I will have made any progress by then.

Post #: 13
RE: Campaign for North Africa (Complete) by Bob Cross i... - 10/5/2012 8:05:02 PM   
burroughs

Gentelme,all I can say that it worked indeed and apparently worked well. Thanks a lot for all the effort and counselling You kindly provided.It wouldn't have been possible, but for Your input. Long live the wargaming community.

(in reply to burroughs)
Post #: 14
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III >> Campaign for North Africa (Complete) by Bob Cross issue Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI