when to bug out in China?

Share your gameplay tips, secret tactics and fabulous strategies with fellow gamers here.

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

jmalter

when to bug out in China?

Post by jmalter »

need some advice, DBB_B game vs. IJ AI. game-date is 9 Aug 43.

my Chinese in Loyang have endured a 66-day siege in good shape. behind 5 forts, they creamed the Manchukuo death-star (25 LCUs) when it shock-attacked across the river into the city on 3 June 43. all my units but one are in 97-99 morale, w/ good supply. but the base itself is red for supply, only 8k remaining. the IJ has been bombarding constantly, to little effect, & has built its AV back up to ~80% of its initial value.

my supply was in pert' good shape, but at the middle of July i shut down the Ledo air-bridge for 2 weeks due to unsustainable ops-losses. despite fairly draconian supply-conservation measures (all construction & LCU replacements in China are shut off), and restarting the air-bridge on 1 August, Loyang is beginning to starve.

should i stay there behind my lvl 6 forts as the supply dwindles, or should i try to leave (staying in combat mode) for Sian & Nanyang?

ETA: would shutting down all air-ops (all groups to 0% training) in China have an appreciable effect in overall supply-use?
Empire101

RE: when to bug out in China?

Post by Empire101 »

The endless question that we are constantly asking ourselves as wargamers... Do I stay or Do I Go?

My 2 cents, if you have held him off that long then its possibly worth the risk of staying, if there is going to be an improvement in your supply situation in the short term.

If there is no improvement to your supply situation in the long term, well Chiang Kai Shek has got to make a decision. If it goes wrong, blame him!![:D][:D]

Still holding Loyang in 1943?
You have done exceptionally well!![:)]

Well done sir!
[font="Tahoma"]Our lives may be more boring than those who lived in apocalyptic times,
but being bored is greatly preferable to being prematurely dead because of some ideological fantasy.
[/font] - Michael Burleigh

aphrochine

Post by aphrochine »

I just astounded you held onto Loyang.
VMF-422 fanboy
Grog Virgin fanboy
JeffroK

Post by JeffroK »

Whats more "unsustainable"?

Loss of a few aircraft.

Loss of a major city?

I would have kept flying in supplies, even if i had to divert some Heavy Bombers to help.
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum
jmalter

Post by jmalter »

well its only 'gainst the AI, which has no notion of flank security.
Shark7

Post by Shark7 »

Against the AI I'd stay. The AI not only doesn't understand flanking, it also doesn't understand that it needs to apply additional troops to the objective. [;)]
Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'
Q-Ball

Post by Q-Ball »

ORIGINAL: Shark7

Against the AI I'd stay. The AI not only doesn't understand flanking, it also doesn't understand that it needs to apply additional troops to the objective. [;)]

Exactly....against the living, you wouldn't be holding Loyang in 1943. There are a million ways to take it, and the Chinese are better off fleeing. I learned this the hard way
inqistor

Post by inqistor »

ORIGINAL: jmalter

need some advice, DBB_B game vs. IJ AI. game-date is 9 Aug 43.

my Chinese in Loyang have endured a 66-day siege in good shape. behind 5 forts, they creamed the Manchukuo death-star (25 LCUs) when it shock-attacked across the river into the city on 3 June 43. all my units but one are in 97-99 morale, w/ good supply. but the base itself is red for supply, only 8k remaining. the IJ has been bombarding constantly, to little effect, & has built its AV back up to ~80% of its initial value.

8k is lots of supply. You can begin planning evacuation, when base is empty (20 supply). Anything above that will be sucked into LCU units in hex.
Try to keep LCU out of bases. That way they suck supply from every available source in range (and you leave less in bases to be destroyed during bombardments).
ETA: would shutting down all air-ops (all groups to 0% training) in China have an appreciable effect in overall supply-use?
Not really, unless you use lots of bombers. CAP is pretty cheap. But I think training actually uses random number of supply every turn, and it can be a lot.
jmalter

Post by jmalter »

ORIGINAL: inqistor
Try to keep LCU out of bases. That way they suck supply from every available source in range (and you leave less in bases to be destroyed during bombardments).
that's a good point, inqistor.

i'm moving a lot of LCUs in China (those that are 100% prepped for future ops) out of base hexes, in the field they'll keep 10 pts above their need, but a base will try to draw 3 times their need!

i've shut down a lot of air-ops in China, including training, for the last 6 days, & have been rewarded by an increase in supply at Lanchow - 15k now, hopefully that will continue to rise.

adding planes from the pools to sqns in China, or upgrading sqns there, will also be verboten as i try to weather this supply-crisis.

i used the air-bridge hiatus to click-fest all the transport pilots, only the best are flying supply missions now. satellite air-bases are under construction near Ledo, w/ many transport sqns under training in India and the EC. exp gain on transport pilots is just achingly slow, even for groups on active ops.

Ledo has been operating again for 18 days now, w/ the active transport groups set to 60% rest. so far, the daily ops-loss rate has been less than the build rate, & the replacement-plane pools have been gradually increasing.
inqistor

Post by inqistor »

Interesting fact:

Chinese airgroups also took aircraft replacements/model change in India, not in China (well, the planes had to be delivered, and assembled somewhere).
PaxMondo

Post by PaxMondo »

ORIGINAL: Q-Ball

ORIGINAL: Shark7

Exactly....against the living, you wouldn't be holding Loyang in 1943. There are a million ways to take it, and the Chinese are better off fleeing. I learned this the hard way
+1
Pax

Return to “The War Room”