1EyedJacks VS Bullwinkle58: A knife fight has no house rules

Post descriptions of your brilliant victories and unfortunate defeats here.

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

1EyedJacks

1EyedJacks VS Bullwinkle58: A knife fight has no house rules

Post by 1EyedJacks »

Hi everyone,

I've got a game starting with Steve (Bullwinkle58) that has a different twist in that he wants no rules. I've been wondering for a while now what it'd be like to play a game from T1 playing the game not as a simulation. I guess this is my chance to find out <grin>.

So let's get down to brass tacks. I want to use this as a planning AAR. Help/suggestions are welcome but I'd ask this in return: Please-please-please be very careful not to give me any info on what Steve has going on if you are reading his AAR.

CHINA
In China I'll be dumping units from Manchukuo into the fray. I want to pound Steve out of China and push my troops up through Burma all the way up into India.

Question: Does China's legendary supply woes pretty much preclude Steve from trying to beef up China with troops from India?

Question: Has anyone actually used the land route for supplies from Saigon to China to Fusan? I'm not strong on the whole push-pull process but I'd like to try and push supply/resources/oil over the land route if it's possible and economical. If I can get this over-land route working I think I could really cut back on building merchant ships. The less I spend on my merchant shipping the more I have to spend on combat units.

Borneo
I'm starting out after the low hanging fruit of the bases on the Northern side by re-assigning some of the TFs.

Palembang
I plan to spring-board over to Palembang with the 65th Bde. plus air support once I've got control of the air around Singkawang.

Pacific Theatre
I'm going after the Hawaiian Isles from T1. Right now I'm thinking 3 INF Divisions plus combat engineers, an HQ, and some artillery for the amphibious assault. Does that sound right?

Air support should come from KB/Johnston Isle & Lahaina. I'm really circling the wagon around Hawaii with my subs to try and cut off support from state-side.

On T1 I went heavy after the airfield with my DB from KB. My intent is to shut that down and gain air superiority over the Hawaiian Isles. Further NW I'm establishing stepping stones with air support engineers so I can create a bridge to push fighters/Betties up. I'm also sending up a second HQa so I can keep my Betties/Nells armed with torpedoes.

Any thoughts/ideas/ suggestions are welcome.

My initial thoughts are to just attach the combat reports. Those of you that want to download them can do so. I'll push map pictures out at the request of readers (screen dumps).

I'll post more later.

TTFN,

Mike

TTFN,

Mike
1EyedJacks

RE: 1EyedJacks VS Bullwinkle58: A knife fight has no house rules

Post by 1EyedJacks »

T1
Attachments
combatreport.txt
(37.23 KiB) Downloaded 54 times
TTFN,

Mike
ny59giants

Post by ny59giants »

Since we go back a few years, I'll be over here offering verbal support. I just hope Boise can get into at least one transport TF before being sunk. [:D]
[center]Image[/center]
1EyedJacks

Post by 1EyedJacks »

Michael my friend - sorry to see the Giants lose 2night. When I first saw that 2nd field goal attempt it was looking good to me till it came up just short. I don't care what they say about Eli - he consistently gives the Giants an opportunity to win and that's the mark of a franchise QB.

I'm using the Japanese Econ document that Damian put together as the starter for my economy. Any special tweaks you'd recommend? I could have sworn you'd done a similar primer for Japan. If you did, can you post me a link please?

BTW - I got me the Boise on T1. I sent the CVL/CVE near Babeldaob over into the Celebes Sea to patrol for the flood of merchies that'll be coming from Manila. Sometimes my TBs get a whiff of the Boise (maybe a 1 in 5 chance). Heck - with the Boise gone I'm already half-way there to winning the war. [:D]

TTFN,

Mike
TTFN,

Mike
jmalter

Post by jmalter »

knives out!

best of luck, 1EJ. i'm looking forward to reading the AARs.

wrt China supply, the Ledo-Tsuyung air-bridge can provide enough supply to keep China in the game, but you can shut it down if you can kill transports. the air-bridge transport planes take 'orrid ops-losses even w/o enemy action, any additional losses you can cause will shut it down, the Allies don't build enough TRs to keep flying. i'd put pressure on all China's airfields, they're awful to start with, & you want to have total air superiority in this theater.
inqistor

Post by inqistor »

ORIGINAL: 1EyedJacks

CHINA
In China I'll be dumping units from Manchukuo into the fray. I want to pound Steve out of China and push my troops up through Burma all the way up into India.

Question: Does China's legendary supply woes pretty much preclude Steve from trying to beef up China with troops from India?
I do not see you consider what "NO HRs" gives your opponent. First consideration for China is that he can move HALF of its Chinese units into Burma, and keep them supplied all the time. Can you even concentrate that much force there, to cut China? OK, roads are horrible, and Chinese units take month to march into Burma, but still.

Second possible thing are hordes of 4Es at skip bombing. My early tests with 1106 put completely green B-29 at 33% accuracy with this attack. You have to destroy Allied air force for all costs.
Pacific Theatre
I'm going after the Hawaiian Isles from T1. Right now I'm thinking 3 INF Divisions plus combat engineers, an HQ, and some artillery for the amphibious assault. Does that sound right?
I do not think PH is worth the effort, but you should throw some tanks. US AT strength is poor initially. Also try to get those 200mm howitzers from Manchuria.
And I do not think taking PH is even possible by standard methods. The only possibility I see, is daily bombardments by BB, you have to get rid of this fort with BB guns first. PzB was able to rearm YAMATO at Christmas Island, so that should be probably your main base of operation.
Crackaces

Post by Crackaces »

Second possible thing are hordes of 4Es at skip bombing. My early tests with 1106 put completely green B-29 at 33% accuracy with this attack. You have to destroy Allied air force for all costs.

I think Michealm's changes in the Beta's to load & accuracy for 4E's skip bombing makes that foray not worth the price of admission .. However Medium bombers with pilots trained at level 70 can ruin ones whole day. I have found training a couple of squadrons worth of bomber pilots at LowNav to be a nice threat.
"What gets us into trouble is not what we don't know. It's what we know for sure that just ain't so"
PaxMondo

Post by PaxMondo »

1.&nbsp; I'm not sure that 3ID's can take PH, but I've never sandboxed it.&nbsp; I tend to agree, not sure it is worth it ... unless you can really get it quick and capture all that fuel.&nbsp; Then maybe there is some payback.&nbsp; But then, why not grab SD/LA.&nbsp; Destroying all of those a/c factories would actually tip things in your favor ...
&nbsp;
2.&nbsp; Yes, I can't see allies putting more troops into China ... can't generate enough supply if you cannot pull from the coast and IJ owns the coast.
&nbsp;
3.&nbsp; Singers to Fusan works for me, but you need to start on Day 1 as Fusan is a max level 8 port.&nbsp; Singers to PA is pretty easy to get in place as PA is lvl 9 port and you can build up the AF and Forts to make it the biggest in Asia and pull everthing there.
Pax
Q-Ball

Post by Q-Ball »

3 Infantry Divisions isn't enough for Pearl Harbor, IMO.

First, the Allies start with something like 4 Infantry Regts, some engineers, probably around 500 AV.

But the bigger problem is the large CD unit; I can't remember how many, but that unit includes 12in, 14in, and 16in guns, plus lots of smaller ones and even 2 Marine Defense Units with even more CD guns. These will tear-up any landing.

I would not advise it, but try it in sandbox mode on Dec 7.....I bet the losses from CD fire will be massive.
1EyedJacks

Post by 1EyedJacks »

ORIGINAL: jmalter

knives out!

best of luck, 1EJ. i'm looking forward to reading the AARs.

wrt China supply, the Ledo-Tsuyung air-bridge can provide enough supply to keep China in the game, but you can shut it down if you can kill transports. the air-bridge transport planes take 'orrid ops-losses even w/o enemy action, any additional losses you can cause will shut it down, the Allies don't build enough TRs to keep flying. i'd put pressure on all China's airfields, they're awful to start with, & you want to have total air superiority in this theater.

Hey Jmalter,

That's an interesting concept. I can't imagine Steve trying to pull that off but I do aim to take control of the air over China & Burma so if Steve does go there I should be able to shut that down.

Thanks for the luck and well wishes - I hope Steve & I put on a good show for ya'll <grin>.

TTFN,

Mike
TTFN,

Mike
1EyedJacks

Post by 1EyedJacks »

ORIGINAL: inqistor

CHINA

I do not see you consider what "NO HRs" gives your opponent. First consideration for China is that he can move HALF of its Chinese units into Burma, and keep them supplied all the time. Can you even concentrate that much force there, to cut China? OK, roads are horrible, and Chinese units take month to march into Burma, but still.

Pacific Theatre
I do not think PH is worth the effort, but you should throw some tanks. US AT strength is poor initially. Also try to get those 200mm howitzers from Manchuria.
And I do not think taking PH is even possible by standard methods. The only possibility I see, is daily bombardments by BB, you have to get rid of this fort with BB guns first. PzB was able to rearm YAMATO at Christmas Island, so that should be probably your main base of operation.

Regarding China to Burma - yup - that's a long and torturous road. Marching that with supply problems would be a witch with a capitol B... Right now I'm pushing up with the RTA and 15th Army plus support from the SAA. I think that with proper support behind some of those bases on the choke-points, (Lashio, Myitkyina, & Ledo) I should be able to do all right as Japan.

Regarding 4E allied bombers - heck - those things are fighter killers. By themselves thay can probably rack up enough victory points in air-2-air kills to prevent Japan from winning by auto-victory [:D][:D][:D]. Still - there are ways to get at the 4Es. They are kinda limited in the base they can fly out of, and if I can target them when they are on the ground... <wolfish grin>.

Pearl Harbor is a swell place to sit on and run Japan's naval forces from. I mean - I can really hamper and harass his naval Ops from that vantage point. Besides... I really kinda want to take it - just because... <grin>. That is an interesting thought though - about Christmas Isle. I'll go back and read PzB's AAR. Thanks for the thought!

TTFN,

Mike
TTFN,

Mike
1EyedJacks

Post by 1EyedJacks »

ORIGINAL: PaxMondo

1.  I'm not sure that 3ID's can take PH, but I've never sandboxed it.  I tend to agree, not sure it is worth it ... unless you can really get it quick and capture all that fuel.  Then maybe there is some payback.  But then, why not grab SD/LA.  Destroying all of those a/c factories would actually tip things in your favor ...

2.  Yes, I can't see allies putting more troops into China ... can't generate enough supply if you cannot pull from the coast and IJ owns the coast.

3.  Singers to Fusan works for me, but you need to start on Day 1 as Fusan is a max level 8 port.  Singers to PA is pretty easy to get in place as PA is lvl 9 port and you can build up the AF and Forts to make it the biggest in Asia and pull everthing there.

You've done this?!!! I was thinking that if I could run Singers to Shanghai that'd be swell - and then extra from Manchukuo would drop down to Fusan. I'm really keen to try this out. How much are you actually seeing pulled into Fusan daily when it's at level 8? Does an HQ or two help the process? HQs add to the base level - right?

TTFN,

Mike
TTFN,

Mike
1EyedJacks

Post by 1EyedJacks »

ORIGINAL: Q-Ball

3 Infantry Divisions isn't enough for Pearl Harbor, IMO.

First, the Allies start with something like 4 Infantry Regts, some engineers, probably around 500 AV.

But the bigger problem is the large CD unit; I can't remember how many, but that unit includes 12in, 14in, and 16in guns, plus lots of smaller ones and even 2 Marine Defense Units with even more CD guns. These will tear-up any landing.

I would not advise it, but try it in sandbox mode on Dec 7.....I bet the losses from CD fire will be massive.

I think I can suppress that CD unit with heavy port damage and BBs... I'll have to trash the port and re-build. I'm planning on taking Lahaina quickly while supporting with KB and then converting the base to General Defense [R]...
TTFN,

Mike
1EyedJacks

Post by 1EyedJacks »

Bwa-ha-ha-ha!!! Gawd I love Monday Night Football!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SG8OpQyY6TI

TTFN,

Mike
TTFN,

Mike
obvert

Post by obvert »

ORIGINAL: PaxMondo

3.  Singers to Fusan works for me, but you need to start on Day 1 as Fusan is a max level 8 port.  Singers to PA is pretty easy to get in place as PA is lvl 9 port and you can build up the AF and Forts to make it the biggest in Asia and pull everthing there.

You've done this?!!! I was thinking that if I could run Singers to Shanghai that'd be swell - and then extra from Manchukuo would drop down to Fusan. I'm really keen to try this out. How much are you actually seeing pulled into Fusan daily when it's at level 8? Does an HQ or two help the process? HQs add to the base level - right?

TTFN,

Mike

Pax tried to guide me throughout the process from the beginning of my game with JockMeister. Either I didn't do something right or the Gods of AE decided i didn't deserve this gift. [;)]

I moved a bunch of engineers (800 or so) to Fusan immediately and it was a level 8 port within a few months. I moved the Combined Fleet HQ there, based a bunch of ships there to draw fuel and had tankers loading constantly for months after I took China and opened the rail.

After a while I had to stop doing this as all of the fuel was coming form Manchuria and nothing, literally nothing, was moving out of Singapore, even though i was basing no ships there and pulling from Saigon, Hong, Kong, and Fusan.

So it's not easy. I'm sure it has worked for some, but I don't now how to get this to happen. I finally started just shipping stuff again and now have a glut of fuel in the SRA and barely enough elsewhere, so there is a bit of catching up to do.
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill
castor troy

Post by castor troy »

going for Hawaii = bad idea... didn't you learn? [:D]
Empire101

Post by Empire101 »

CHINA

If you have no HR's you can quickly pummel China by the end of 42. This will be great to watch. If he does draw troops out of China into Burma, China will just collapse against well planned and ruthless Japanese aggression. Man, I wish I could get someone to play against with no HR's.!![:D]

If he does that then just outflank him with a determined drive into Burma, cutting of supply. Outflank, outflank, outflank.!
Question: Has anyone actually used the land route for supplies from Saigon to China to Fusan? I'm not strong on the whole push-pull process but I'd like to try and push supply/resources/oil over the land route if it's possible and economical. If I can get this over-land route working I think I could really cut back on building merchant ships. The less I spend on my merchant shipping the more I have to spend on combat units.

Sort of, but I usually transport stuff from Palembang and Singapore to Hong Kong to sort of 'help' it along the chain.

Palembang
I plan to spring-board over to Palembang with the 65th Bde. plus air support once I've got control of the air around Singkawang.

A bold move!! I've not thought of that!!
I shall watch this space with interest.!![:D]

Pacific Theatre

My two cents. Do Not Even Consider This Operation.
A great gamble, not worth the effort.

[/quote]
[font="Tahoma"]Our lives may be more boring than those who lived in apocalyptic times,
but being bored is greatly preferable to being prematurely dead because of some ideological fantasy.
[/font] - Michael Burleigh

1EyedJacks

Post by 1EyedJacks »

A slight delay while we check something out with the game though Michaelm. Steve had reported a glitch during his input of turn 2. When I played the movie there were a few things that happened that just kind of looked weird during the movie. It might be a syc error or something but I see what looks like a change in the destination of a TF that either should have stayed where it was - moved due to reaction (which is what it did during the "movie") - or I *think* attempt to return to home port if damaged.

What I see for orders though is for the TF to go to Canton in spite of the fact that Hong Kong is still controlled by the allies...

TTFN,

Mike
1EyedJacks

Post by 1EyedJacks »

Delay over - looks like it's WAD. I've got an evening to spend with my mouse pointing & clicking but I wanted to post the combat report. I lost too many DB @ PH but it is what it is. When reviewing the first turn I had thought I'd pretty much mangled anything on the ground and trashed the airfield.

Steve most of his ships in TFs and just sat there in the harbor. TB are not smart enough to switch mission on their own - I shoulda set them to Naval Attack/Port I guess. Anyways - I wanna input my turn so here's the text file.

Attachments
combatreport.txt
(70.8 KiB) Downloaded 33 times
TTFN,

Mike
1EyedJacks

Post by 1EyedJacks »

I just sent the turn off for Steve to complete his orders. I think I'll start out with just covering a few spots on the map where the action seems to be. I'm doing a lot of stuff all at the same time in this first week or two of turns but a lot of it is moving units to theatres, setting up production, and working on keeping the economy up.

Hawaii
I sent 2BB 2DD 1CA from TF1 to bombard PH. Steve had pulled most of his shipping into TFs and sat them at PH. Imagine my surprise... The Tone tapped a mine and rolled a magazine explosion. The result was fish food for the Tone. The rest of the TF pushed on and traded a few shells with enemy ships @ PH. I lost the DD Isokaze to enemy fire. Combat report shows I took down the DD Allen, put 3 shells into the Ralph Talbot leaving her with heavy fires, and did what was probably minor damage to a CA & CL.

Air attacks later were worse. Steve had lotsa fighters up on CAP - I mean lotsa fighters... I lost about 50 DB going after the airfield for minor results.

I've pulled back KB so my BB TF can rejoin. My fighters & TB are still in good strength but I really need to use sweeps if I'm gunna take down those fighters. KB will drop down and support operations around Johnston Isle.

I've got TFs running for some of the small islands between Babeldaob/Truk and Truk/Kwajalein with air support engineers to set up a bridge to Kwajalein. Legaspi is my first hop on the bridge and I took that with a warp TF.

South China Sea
Stebe seems to have un-assed shipping from Manila to both the north and south. Also from Hong Kong. I had a pair of DD (Ikazuchi & Inazuma)that took it in the shorts in a few running night-time battles with the Thanet and then a 3rd run-in with the Scout. The Scout beat me up but I think that was cuz I'd expended most of the ammo on the first two engagements with the Thanet. My DD will make it to port for repairs but the encounter looked to much like the Boise kicking me in my privates.

I've got another CVL/CVE TF coming from Japan to play in these waters.

I've set up a TF with those CL with the 20 torpedo broadsides plus the Maya and a pair of DD and they are running over her to play also.

I've got a few other surface Combat TFs working the area plus subs. I've got a lot of AC flying naval search missions for AC air groups on naval attack plus to help vector in subs and surface Combat TFs.

PI/Celebes Sea
I've moved Betties to Legaspi and have a CVL/CVE TF in the Celebes to cover the southern route of escape from Manila. Additional surface ships will be sitting @ Legaspi this turn to protect the amphibious TF that is still unloading.

TTFN,

Mike

Return to “After Action Reports”