Matrix Games Forums

Battle Academy 2 is out now on iPad!A closer look at rockets in Space Program ManagerDeal of the Week - Pride of NationsA new update for Piercing Fortress EuropaNew screenshots for War in the West!Pike & Shot is now available!Server Maintenance Battle Academy 2 gets updated!Deal of the Week: Advanced Tactics Gold Ask Buzz Aldrin!
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Trippin' the Trappen

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Decisive Campaigns: Case Blue >> After Action Reports >> RE: Trippin' the Trappen Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Trippin' the Trappen - 10/16/2012 7:12:35 PM   
James Ward

I try to keep a tank brigade with each infantry division in critical areas. It gives the Soviet infantry some punch on the attack and I was suprised how much it helped on the defense. Obviously you don't have enough for each division to have a brigade stacked with it.

(in reply to wallas)
Post #: 91
RE: Trippin' the Trappen - 10/17/2012 2:06:17 AM   
LiquidSky

I agree...there were times early on when I attacked a russian hex only to have the only unit not retreated being the tank. Especially around Sevastopol, and it was quite annoying before I figured out to bring the Flak guns or some other unit with Anti-tank capabilities. Once you have that, though, the russian tank is one of the easiest things to dislodge. In fact a lot of times I will break them outright...if I bomb them first with a stuka.

What's the sense of sending $2 million missiles to hit a $10 tent that's empty?

— President George W. Bush, Oval Office meeting, 13 September 2001.

(in reply to James Ward)
Post #: 92
RE: Trippin' the Trappen - 10/17/2012 7:06:55 AM   
LiquidSky

Turn 36: July 21, 1942. Weather Dusty.

The Russians launch attacks of opportunity where they see weak units along my front, especially in the north, killing a weak regiment. He also rails engineers wherever I have blown a bridge to effect repairs. He must have repaired the bridges I blew a couple turns ago, because a lot of fresh units show up in front of the 1st Panzer Army. Rostov no longer contains the Guards Rifle divisions that were there for most of the summer, so he must be starting to think of evacuation. The 5th Tank army moves back up to the line after being retreated.

Voronezh front: Having not learned their lesson the first time, I play another attack card on one of my divisions, and push two tank corps back 10km. With the arrival of the 29th Motorized into the line, I now have a division in every hex facing his army. My 44th infantry division crossed the Don a couple of turns ago, and is quietly securing a bridgehead. If he brings his Tank Army back over the Don, I will probably have to retreat back over the river...but then I would have cleaned out his bridgehead.

I launch several attacks on bridgeheads, winning most, but losing some. Soon I will own all of my side of the Don river.

Because my replacements are so small now, I play an infantry card for the second time in the game, for 7700 replacements.

I mean really, only 5 tanks?

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by LiquidSky -- 10/17/2012 7:07:58 AM >

(in reply to LiquidSky)
Post #: 93
RE: Trippin' the Trappen - 10/17/2012 7:24:10 AM   
LiquidSky

Caucaus Front:

The 11th army in it's spread out state, pushes against an even more spread out Russian on the rail towards Stalingrad. I know he has several unaccounted for Tank Corps, and a few Guards Rifle Divisions kicking around somewhere, and if I was a betting man, I would gamble that they are somewhere in front of me towards Stalingrad. With the Mighty Rumanians charging along the Don, I will soon be able to use them to make a more solid front with the 11th army.

With all three Panzer Korps in position, the XIV Panzer Korp with my 2 SS motorized push 30 km towards Zimovniki, and are adjacent to one of the two railines that feed Rostov. My airforce blows yet another bridge along the other rail line, and also hit the port of Azov to wreck it. My attempt to isolate Rostov (and it's several rifle divisions) continues.

It is interesting to note that the Russians still have enough units to hold a line, but There are cracks starting to appear. Will the dam burst, and release my fast mechanized units to run amok in the caucaus/drive for Stalingrad? I dont know, but I do have 9 panzer divisions and 4 motorized divisions (and 4 infantry divisions) in a 12 hex wide salient. Two of those panzer Korps have full command points. I would have thought that he would have pulled out of Rostov by now, especially since he just got prestige for it (again). I dont know if it immediately gave him another major mission to hold it, or if he is just stubborn . Although part of me wants to let him keep it, so I dont have to go for Krasnador. Nahhhhh

There are some partisans in the back, giving some Rumanians experience.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to LiquidSky)
Post #: 94
RE: Trippin' the Trappen - 10/19/2012 6:16:08 AM   
LiquidSky

Turn 37 July 23, 1942. Amazingly, the weather is still clear.

Not a single attack on my lines by a russian this turn. Down in the Caucaus, the russians disappear....pulling south over the river between rostov and lake Proletarskaya. Along the rail line to Stalingrad out of the Caucaus a large tank army appears. I can see nothing in front of my 14th Panzer Korp.

As a result, I swing south with the 14th, to sit along the river at the bridge, and move the 3rd Panzer Korp to guard against the Tank army to the east. Some of my 71st Panzer Korp attempts a bridge crossing with the help of the Italians! But fails....I notice that he had built a fortification in the hex, so I have to keep assaulting/bombing it to prevent it from gaining too much entrenchment level. I spread the rest of the panzer korp out along the river, so I can force a crossing *somewhere*.

My supply is still good enough to attack, with the 1st Panzer Army 11 hexes from a railhead (along a road)...passing supply to the 14th panzer korp 5 hexes further (down the road and over a blown bridge), who throws it a further 8 hexes to the furthest units for a total of 24 hexes from a rail head. Total AP cost 111 AP's so I can go a couple of hexes over clear terrain. A couple more when I repair the bridge.

Where his 5th Tank army used to be, I advance and take all the Don river hexes. In a couple of spots along the river, I try and push the last remnants of Russians back over the Don, but fail. But he probably cant keep up with the casualties, so it is only a matter of time before I own my side of the Don.

Last thing of note: I launch a raiding party onto the coast about 5 hexes down from Rostov. The purpose of which is to try and hold rail lines to cut supply off to the city, and pull defenders off what must be a rather stretched line...and to interfere with any withdrawals from the city into the Caucaus. This move will doom what is left of my fleet (he sunk all the warships in June), but I feel it is worth it.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to LiquidSky)
Post #: 95
RE: Trippin' the Trappen - 10/19/2012 6:26:45 AM   
LiquidSky

Something my opponent and I are noticing...

Blowing bridges may be a bit too over powered. When I drop a bridge,the engineer he has in the area waiting to repair it may sometimes not get enough supply to actually fix the bridge...if he is caught on the wrong side. I am not sure yet, as it appears to me that blowing the bridge at Krasnodar and cutting the other line with my panzer korp only puts Rostov at 75% supply, which is easily enough to defend.

But I am pretty sure he is annoyed he cannot just rail defenders out, or bring reinforcements in.

(in reply to LiquidSky)
Post #: 96
RE: Trippin' the Trappen - 10/21/2012 2:43:49 AM   
LiquidSky

Turn 38: July 25, 1942. Weather slightly overcast.

The Russians have decided to make a stand on the river between Rostov and the lake. He has a fair number of forces to hold back my infantry korp and two panzer korps, but with my invasion on the coast just south of Rostov, and my blowing all the bridges I can that supply this area, he has to use units from Rostov itself to try and contain me.

Last turn, Rostov was supposed to fall, but I begged High Command for more time, I only need a little more time! I will bust through the river line, and meet up with the invasion force to pocket Rostov and take 200,000 prisoners!

With my armour spread out along the river, I find 4 spots weak enough for my armour and infantry to cross...the dam is starting to burst.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by LiquidSky -- 10/21/2012 3:07:30 AM >

(in reply to LiquidSky)
Post #: 97
RE: Trippin' the Trappen - 10/21/2012 2:55:11 AM   
LiquidSky

Turn 39: July 27, 1942. Weather: Oh oh.

The Russians counterattack one of my exposed infantry and reform a coherent front, still holding me back from breaking through to the coast. It appears that my bridge bombing campaign has left a bridge intact somewhere as a number of russians seem to be popping up on their south flank. As well, the russians decide to do some bridge bombing of their own, and take out the bridge on the rail line to Stalingrad, but at the loss of 65 Sturmovicks and 25 Po-2's. The bridge falling, along with the rain, causes me pain. I have to reign in my advance, as my lack of supply at the front is insane.

In a fit of righteous vengence, the Russians sink a Barge fleet, and my cargo fleet, leaving me with a solitary barge fleet left for a navy.

I manage to fly some supply to my invasion force, keeping them going for another turn.

Most of my army sits tight, although I do push fowward to occupy the front line where he retreated. As High Command demands that I take Rostov by this turn, I feel I have to decline, and due to the harsh Russian resistance decide to no longer ask for more time.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by LiquidSky -- 10/21/2012 3:08:45 AM >

(in reply to LiquidSky)
Post #: 98
RE: Trippin' the Trappen - 10/21/2012 3:13:23 AM   
LiquidSky

Turn 40: July 29, 1942. Weather: Sunny again!

With the weather being mud, the russians withdraw further and I move up to follow.

With the loss of prestige for failing to take Rostov, I am now down to 48 Prestige. And with that loss I then make the farthest breakthrough I have ever made yet in this campaign! With a penetration of 40km, spearheaded by my SS motorized brigade, and two panzer divisions, a 20km gap is what seperates the land I control with the invasion, with my armour. I regret not asking for more time, as Rostov is now doomed, with a lot of his units probably going on low supply.

What is also sad, is I decided to transfer the panzer korp that made the breakthrough to a different army, so I was unable to play either freedom, or speed to give them an even greater penetration...

It reinforces something we have both noticed..that the Russians are penalized by mud, as they are not allowed to recover from the weather before the Germans strike..on the following clear weather turn.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to LiquidSky)
Post #: 99
RE: Trippin' the Trappen - 10/21/2012 3:26:08 AM   
LiquidSky

Turn 41: July 31, 1942. Weather: Wet and wonderful.

The russians launch a sneak attack on half a division on the wrong side of the Don, and push it back over the river, with 1000 men lost. In the Rostov area, the Russians go into a full rout, pulling completely out of Rostov, and moving as far south as they can, while still trying to hold a line.

But with the crappy weather, and most of my army in either blue or red supply, I decide to just occupy the city with the hungarians, and to cut off some russian stragglers.

The cost of some of my cards: Panzers 52, Fighters 52, Infantry 44?, SS Infantry 30, SS Panzers 36..but I do get about 35-45 political points a turn.

The only missions I have is 1 point for a town on the front, and 8 points for Stalingrad, but I am pretty sure Krasnodar will pop up next because of the fall of Rostov.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to LiquidSky)
Post #: 100
RE: Trippin' the Trappen - 10/24/2012 8:41:59 PM   
LiquidSky

Turn 42: August 2, 1942. Weather: Clear (for the moment).

The retreat is on! With the poor weather, the Russians can only retreat a small ways from Rostov. In front of Stalingrad, the Russians also withdraw 10 km from my forces.

The Hungarians and Italians eliminate what is left of the russian stragglers from Rostov, and form up in some semblance of a line. The Germans move forward to bump up against his forces. Unfortunately, one hex of railline is still in Russian hands, which will delay the 1st Panzer Army's push for Stalingrad...but then I still have bridges to repair.

At some point, I will have to thin the line from the North down to about Millerowo...I contemplate pulling back over the Don, but figure I might as well sit for now. The 5th German Army (something I created in the beginning) now has a panzer korp, an infantry korp, and all the security divisions (in another korp). They, with the Hungarian Army, and the Italian Army is all I have to move into the Caucaus to take Krasnador, Poti, Grozny...and eventually Baku. I may send the Rumanians down to help, but so far they are ony covering the open flank, and killing partisans.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to LiquidSky)
Post #: 101
RE: Trippin' the Trappen - 10/26/2012 1:24:10 AM   
LiquidSky

Turn 43: August 4, 1942. Weather: Guess..go ahead. I will give you a hint. It starts with rain and ends in ing.

The Russians on my side of the Don retreat a couple hexes back in a North Easterly direction towards Stalingrad/The Don.
More Russians show up on the Road to Elista, although there is no sign of any russians on the road in front of my III Panzer Korp. If it wasnt for the poor supply, and the fact that I know there are several motorized/tank corps south of Stalingrad, I would push along it.

As it is, the weather puts a lot of my forward units in the Caucaus in yellow/blue supply with even a couple in the red. So III panzer doesnt move, while the Hungarian/Italian/5th German armies move south...to make contact with the line.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to LiquidSky)
Post #: 102
RE: Trippin' the Trappen - 10/26/2012 4:56:10 PM   
LiquidSky

Turn 44: August 6, 1942. Weather: Clear skies.

The Russians do not appear to do anything much on the wet turn. But then, I am still several KM from his front line in the Caucauses, and getting rather strung out along the front line.

So I attack!

A rather beat up XXXXIV Korp composed of all the Jaeger/Mtn divisions attacks an equally beat up 12th Army, along the curve of the Don. Its mission: to clear my side of the Don. For this purpose, I have been motorizing all of the divisions (and playing the truck card, to gain more trucks). The attack goes well, with the Korp taking 3 hexes of the front.

The rest of my army catches up with the Russian front in front of Stalingrad, and towards Krasnador. Hopefully the weather will stay clear, so I can actually attack.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to LiquidSky)
Post #: 103
RE: Trippin' the Trappen - 10/26/2012 7:44:44 PM   
Keunert

Cutting the railline going south should be a high priority. my limited experience showed that this does a lot of harm to the soviet southern front.

(in reply to LiquidSky)
Post #: 104
RE: Trippin' the Trappen - 10/26/2012 11:40:32 PM   
LiquidSky

Turn 45: August 8, 1942. Weather Clear.

The Russians continue their retreat NE in front of Stalingrad, but hold fast everywhere else.

The XXXXVIII Korp continues to push against the 12th army, taking another hex. South of Stalingrad, the XIV Panzer Korp finally arrives in force, and screens against what looks to be a rather large amount of tank corps, to the east. I am going to have to comb the line for divisions to rail down here to hold the flanks so my panzer korp can dash across to the Caspian.

The rail line to Krasnador is looking very empty, as I run a couple of Ersatz units down. (I have over 30 of them now, as my 2A, 6A and OKH commanders can all generate emergency troops) On another note, I still have Halder in OKH.

@Keunart: You are correct, I may have to take Astrakahn in order to take Baku. Although thinking of the victory conditions, I find it somewhat strange that Stalingrad/Baku should be a game ender. Probably should add either Saratov to that as taking Baku pretty much implies that you already own Stalingrad.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Keunert)
Post #: 105
RE: Trippin' the Trappen - 10/28/2012 2:43:37 AM   
LiquidSky

Turn 46: August 10, 1942. Weather Sunny Skies

Russians determined to hold on to all ground now.

After scouring the north for divisions, I manage to pull two whole korps off the line (7 divisions total). The smaller Korp I will rail to the Caucuas to help hold the flank so my panzer divisions can move north to the Volga. The other will relieve my Motorized korp, so it can go elsewhere (undecided at this point). Meanwhile, it can continue the attack on the Don bridgehead that the russians are tenaciously hanging onto.

The luftwaffe bombs and destroys every bridge corssing over the Don that the russians are using for supply, except one. If I can reduce his supply, it will make taking the bridgehead out that much easier.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by LiquidSky -- 10/28/2012 2:44:59 AM >

(in reply to James Ward)
Post #: 106
RE: Trippin' the Trappen - 10/28/2012 5:01:05 PM   
Bonners

Really fascinating AAR. This is one thing I am gradually learning through playing and watching these AARs, how important the bridges are. My priority for AA units is now protecting the tanks and then being stationed at crucial bridges.

I would also be really interested to see an update on the respective OOBs to see how the Soviet player is holding up.

(in reply to LiquidSky)
Post #: 107
RE: Trippin' the Trappen - 10/29/2012 6:12:33 PM   
LiquidSky

Turn 47: August 12, 1942. Weather: Clear

The Russians are determined not to retreat. But I am just as determined to push forward. So far the Russians have lost over 500k infantry, and I have lost around 120k. My airforce is at about half strength in stukas, and 75% for fighters...but his is still less then half....and the fighters around 25%

I take a hex or two on the Don Bridgehead, and mostly setup for a big push next turn, as a lot of my artillery will be full, and Manstein is almost at 48 command points. (Patch 1.03 game)

South West of Stalingrad, the III panzer Korp, with 1st Panzer Army assisting (Freedom), strikes the lines and punches three holes, penetrating up to 30km towards Stalingrad.

In the Caucaus, I break a small hole to encourage the Russians to step back.

I just upgraded my operating system to Windows 8, and the game runs fine on it, although I miss my snipping tool.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by LiquidSky -- 10/29/2012 6:15:34 PM >

(in reply to Bonners)
Post #: 108
RE: Trippin' the Trappen - 10/29/2012 9:30:29 PM   
LiquidSky

Turn 48: August 14, 1942. Weather: Rain.

All the bridges to the Russians Bridgehead over the Don were blown last turn. The Russians keep fixing the most westerly one (since engineers save left over engineer points after fixing a bridge, so they can keep fixing the same one). I try to blow it on this wet turn, but what few Luftwaffe planes that can make it fail.

The Russian player and I have noticed that mud seems to affect the Russians much more profoundly then the Germans. My turn was short and quick, because I couldn't move very many units in the Caucaus, and attacking seems a little more bloody (for me)...however, because of the poor supply level he receives on his turn, on my next (clear) turn, I am attacking a weakened Russian front, especially where I blew the bridges.

Not bothering with a map this time, but because of the mud weather reducing supply going to his bridgehead (47th army and 5th Tank Army), the fact that he is going to be hit by a low organization penalty of -25/-25 to most of his units in said bridgehead (foreshadowing, I am a few turns ahead of the aar), combined with me having a rested infantry korp with max command points/readiness/supply in the 11th army (Manstein) who also has max command points....means next turn will be a perfect storm.

After every bad weather turn, the Germans have the initative, and get to attack first. The Russians cannot benefit from the Germans being in mud, as they themselves are in mud on their turn.

(in reply to LiquidSky)
Post #: 109
RE: Trippin' the Trappen - 10/30/2012 2:31:24 PM   
James Ward

quote:

ORIGINAL: LiquidSky

Not bothering with a map this time, but because of the mud weather reducing supply going to his bridgehead (47th army and 5th Tank Army), the fact that he is going to be hit by a low organization penalty of -25/-25 to most of his units in said bridgehead (foreshadowing, I am a few turns ahead of the aar), combined with me having a rested infantry korp with max command points/readiness/supply in the 11th army (Manstein) who also has max command points....means next turn will be a perfect storm.

After every bad weather turn, the Germans have the initative, and get to attack first. The Russians cannot benefit from the Germans being in mud, as they themselves are in mud on their turn.

In most AAR's it seems the Germans have a significant advantage early, better supply, better command etc. The advance is not really hindered a lot by lack of supply and the mud does not really help the Russians, as you have pointed out.

Ideally both sides would check supply at the beginning of the turn but I think that would require major program changes.If the Soviets moved first in the game, do you think it would change things much?

(in reply to LiquidSky)
Post #: 110
RE: Trippin' the Trappen - 10/30/2012 4:46:08 PM   
Keunert

the axis advance is getting slow already. seems like you have the initiative lost in some areas. how are troops total at the moment?

(in reply to James Ward)
Post #: 111
RE: Trippin' the Trappen - 10/30/2012 6:02:42 PM   
wallas

quote:

ORIGINAL: Keunert

the axis advance is getting slow already. seems like you have the initiative lost in some areas. how are troops total at the moment?

He can easily still push where he wants, but I do have reserves now. I can stay sticky around him somewhat, and dont need to fallback and
shorten my lines as much.

(in reply to Keunert)
Post #: 112
RE: Trippin' the Trappen - 10/31/2012 5:49:08 PM   
LiquidSky

Turn 49: August 18, 1942. Weather: Raining shells and death upon the Russians.

Death of an army

During his wet turn, the Russians didn't do much. Suffering from Control failures in the Don Bridgehead, he was afraid to run, and bring notice to the poor state of his army. Unknown to him, I am about to launch a major offensive push on his bridgehead.

Mainstein plays Gamble, and it works! My Infantry Korp of 3 divisions gets a bonus of 44% on the attack..divisions which are well rested, near full strength, with full stocks of ammo. After air bombardment, I realize most of the Russian units are -25 on the defense, and my localized attack turns into a general offensive against the entire bridgehead.

The german offensive pushes 2 hexes forward, causing massive Russian casualties, even against full strength tank corps. Four breaches are made in his line. And in one spot, I even reach the Don itself, cutting the western most part off to form its own little bridgehead.

My stunning success comes from a convergence of several lucky factors. The control failure of not 1, but two armies that are in the beachhead. The weather being Mud the turn before. The bridges all being blown at the start of his mud turn. My infantry korp being fully supplied, full strength, and with full command points. Manstein with full command points.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to LiquidSky)
Post #: 113
RE: Trippin' the Trappen - 10/31/2012 6:09:23 PM   
LiquidSky

In the Caucaus, my minor axis units push forward, with the line bending, but not breaking. I pull my panzers off the line, to shift them over to the rail line that directly moves from Rostov to Krasnador. As I will probably not take Stalingrad on time (if ever), I do want to take Krasnador. New reinforcements, in the form of a second Italian Korp of 3 divisions shows up and will move to help the spread out German infantry.

On the eastern part of the Caucaus, I spread out a Panzer Korp to hold a line, butted up with a Rumanian Korp that is also spread out one unit per hex. But I do have a continuous line now from the top of the map, all the way down to the coast. When my infantry korp I moved off the line in the north arrives, it will replace the panzer korp to allow it to push for the Volga.

I notice that Stalingrad is heavily fortified, and will definitely be a tough nut to crack...as I can't outflank it like I did Rostov.

On a sad note, Halder has been replaced by Zietzler, meaning one less HQ to produce Ersatz troops. Currently, I am up to around 30 of the emergency troops...and have them in every port, and along the coast of the Caucaus. Soon I will use them to fight partisans.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to LiquidSky)
Post #: 114
RE: Trippin' the Trappen - 10/31/2012 6:30:29 PM   
LiquidSky

Current troop strengths (at the end of my Aug. 24th turn)

Divebombers: 225 Axis to 150 Russian.
Fighters: 330 Axis to 430 Russian.
Bombers: 800 Axis to 100 Russian.

Infantry: 800k Axis to 680k Russian.
Lt. Tank: 200 Axis to 1050 Russian.
Med Tank: 1500 Axis to 1200 Russian.
Heavy Tank: 580 Russian. No tigers yet.

Trucks: 29k Axis to 21k Russian.

Prestige: 53 Axis to 25 Russian.

Victory points are sitting on a fairly comfortable Axis Minor Victory.

Romanian Spirit - 96%
Hungarian Spirit - 88%
Italian Spirit - 84%

German Infantry divisions: 43
Ersatz Gruppes: 34
Mot Infantry: 14 (Most of them have no tanks)
Rom. Infantry Div: 15
Hun. Inf Div. 11
It. Inf DIv.: 9

Panzer/SS/Axis Tank: 9/2/1

@Keunert
As you will see over the next few turns, my ability to push forward is not impeded by little things, like Russian tank corps
A lot of my panzer korps are near or at full strength because they haven't really done a lot of fighting. My motorized infantry is the most beat up, with a few infantry korps nearing 50% in strength. But I also have a large number of full strength divisions. And the Axis minors are only now beginning to fight, so they are fairly strong as well.

@James Ward
Actually, it would be a minor change to check supply at the beginning of each round, instead of of each turn, as supply is done by the event code. Anyone can access it. I may tweak it to see what happens. It might mean that being surrounded is death, though. I also think that it is better to let the Germans go first, because they hold the initative through most of the campaign...

(in reply to LiquidSky)
Post #: 115
RE: Trippin' the Trappen - 10/31/2012 6:39:37 PM   
James Ward

quote:

@James Ward
Actually, it would be a minor change to check supply at the beginning of each round, instead of of each turn, as supply is done by the event code. Anyone can access it. I may tweak it to see what happens. It might mean that being surrounded is death, though. I also think that it is better to let the Germans go first, because they hold the initative through most of the campaign...

I was thinking have the Russians move first in the scenario but freeze all their units (except maybe air units) like most of the German army is frozen in the Trappen scenario. After that though, the Russian would move first on each turn and not get the double whammy of low supply/poor movement right before a clear weather turn.

Being surrounded is usually pretty bad now so ....

(in reply to LiquidSky)
Post #: 116
RE: Trippin' the Trappen - 10/31/2012 9:06:44 PM   
LiquidSky

If the Russians move first, then you are transferring the problem to the Germans, as they would be the ones suffering lower readiness/supply after a mud turn. Mind you, the Russian ability to counterattack is more limited then the German one, so it wouldn't seem as bad, but then, there are large portions of my front that are 'in the red' or 'blue' during a mud turn.

I like the idea of calculating supply at the beginning of every turn much better, and will have to give that a good test to see what happens.

(in reply to James Ward)
Post #: 117
RE: Trippin' the Trappen - 10/31/2012 9:32:32 PM   
James Ward

quote:

If the Russians move first, then you are transferring the problem to the Germans, as they would be the ones suffering lower readiness/supply after a mud turn. Mind you, the Russian ability to counterattack is more limited then the German one, so it wouldn't seem as bad, but then, there are large portions of my front that are 'in the red' or 'blue' during a mud turn.

I like the idea of calculating supply at the beginning of every turn much better, and will have to give that a good test to see what happens.

I like the supply for both at the beginning of the turn, I was not aware it could be easily modded.

The reason for letting the Russian move first is that, as you point out, their historical friend General Mud really doesn't help them and actually penalizes them.

(in reply to LiquidSky)
Post #: 118
RE: Trippin' the Trappen - 11/2/2012 7:53:55 PM   
LiquidSky

Turn 50: August 20, 1042. Weather: Clear

After my brilliant, incredible, historical offensive against his confused, inept defenders of the Don Bridghead, the Russians retreat in a shambles towards his three bridges, effectively turning it into three pockets. South of Stalingrad, the Russians form an impressive looking line of rifle divisions and tank corps. I count at least 7 of them. I am beginning to think I may have to fight for Stalingrad, and I may not see the Volga in the month of August.

So I begin to move my SS and the rest of the panzer korp north to join the other one for the push on Stalingrad, while my newly arrived infantry korp moves east to cover the flank. On the bridgehead I push forward, and reach the Don in strength. The Russians have fortified some of the hills in his western most bridgehead, and I am not sure if I want to assault them or not.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to James Ward)
Post #: 119
RE: Trippin' the Trappen - 11/16/2012 5:29:59 AM   
LiquidSky

I must apologize, I was sick over the long weekend, and I had planned to catch up on my AAR, since we are in September now. A lot has changed.

I can try and catch up turn by turn (as I have been doing) or just give a quick summary, and post a map of what the front looks like currently, and then keep up on it turn by turn.

The Russian pig dog asked me when Artillery divisons become available (for building)...after much searching in the event code I discovered this:

Russian Mech Corps: September, 1942.
Russian Separate Tank Battalions: October, 1942.
Russian Artillery Divisons: November, 1942.
Luftwaffe Field Divisions: December, 1942. (weee, I can hardly wait!)
German Heavy Panzer Battalion: December, 1942. (feel the power)
Assault Gun Regiments (probably Russian) January, 1943.
Tank Corps: January, 1943 (adds an artillery unit to the corp)

(in reply to LiquidSky)
Post #: 120
Page:   <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Decisive Campaigns: Case Blue >> After Action Reports >> RE: Trippin' the Trappen Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI