April 30, 1942
I like last days, especially when tomorrow I get a new plane build scheme, sometimes some new models (Avengers!), a whole bunch of new ship upgrades, and the end of another month of Allied Hell Year.
File things got bolluxed up today. Mike sent the turn, no movie. I caught him before his work and I got the movie, but now I have to run an emergency errand and my battery is dead. So, I have exaclty as long to write this as a quick charge takes. Fortunately it was a snoozer of a day.
1) Sub on DD in the Malacca Straits, shallow water, boom boom, no hits, no fun. Posts this morning on sub portion of the game have me depressed on this today. So, moving on . . .
2) Night strat bombing missions mostly go astray or sit. Keep trying. One does launch on Changsha, and does some burning.
Night Air attack on Changsha , at 82,52
Weather in hex: Severe storms
Raid spotted at 40 NM, estimated altitude 6,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 15 minutes
Wellington Ic x 6
No Allied losses
Manpower hits 1
3) Oil misison on Babo does 1 Oil hit.
4) Bombing returns to Palembang. CAP pretty leaky. A fair number of night mission bombers are there, but by day they are on the ground and several are lost. A few Japanese to flak. One thing I want to do is pull Japanese escorts and sweepers off the key bases to defend the strat bombing. Japan has no "right" to freely bomb just because it's 1942. Also, FOW losses tell him some TBs were hit at P., but there are none there. If he thinks there are, good. To help the illusion Albacores do fly from Soerbaja and hit Sampit's port. Mostly because I forgot to turn them off.
5) Up north the MKB has continued on up the coast almost to the height of Moulmein. Kates hit Port Blair and sink two xAKs unloading, and the Zeroes get two Huricanes. Dreaming of enough CAP to do a damn . . . Later, after it doesn't matter, a Zero sweep costs Japan three for two Hurricanes.
6) Prome is swept and one fighter each is lost. I expect some probing will happen up here for a few days at least. Japan sends a lone tank brigade to attack Bassein, across the river. A Chinese corps has arrived in strat mode, but is not unpacked. The attack is repulsed, but he gets valuable intel.
Ground combat at Bassein (54,52)
Japanese Shock attack
Attacking force 1350 troops, 12 guns, 192 vehicles, Assault Value = 101
Defending force 10004 troops, 40 guns, 18 vehicles, Assault Value = 374
Japanese adjusted assault: 33
Allied adjusted defense: 30
Japanese assault odds: 1 to 1 (fort level 1)
Japanese Assault reduces fortifications to 0
Defender: forts(+), op mode(-), preparation(-), fatigue(-)
Attacker: shock(+), leaders(+), leaders(-), fatigue(-)
Allied ground losses:
91 casualties reported
Squads: 6 destroyed, 5 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 0 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 0 disabled
7th Ind.Tank Brigade
RM Viper Force
43rd Cavalry Regiment
60th Chinese Corps
7) Other stuff:
Two USN carriers come out of upgrade, giving me four again. Big E is about two weeks out.
West Virginia is almost to SF, float down to 52 again. Two RN BBs are fixed at Colombo, and 17 engine damge is fixed in one day on a CA there. Arizona is close. Slowly I'm getting a navy back.
Sabang is probe bombed, but no sign of the small TF seen yesterday. Currently there is a lot of recon of Ramree.
Forts go to 2 at Prome. Also 2 at Christmas Island.
< Message edited by Bullwinkle58 -- 4/30/2013 6:01:00 PM >