Matrix Games Forums

A new update for Piercing Fortress EuropaNew screenshots for War in the West!Pike & Shot is now available!Server Maintenance Battle Academy 2 gets updated!Deal of the Week: Advanced Tactics Gold Ask Buzz Aldrin!Pike & Shot gets Release Date and Twitch Session!Deal of the Week Espana 1936War in the West coming in December!
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Roman Republic way of war

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Alea Jacta Est Series >> Roman Republic way of war Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Roman Republic way of war - 9/29/2012 6:58:56 PM   
TulliusDetritus

For those of you who don't know Roman history here are some tips, an introduction:

First of all each year the Romans appointed 2 bosses who ruled one year: the Consuls.

Normally the Republic would raise 4 legions: two for each Consul. But these Consular armies always had auxiliaries attached: minimum the 100% of a Roman force, but in fact many times the 200%! So in theory each Consul would have an army of 8.000 Romans (legionaries) + around 16.000 allies = 24.000 men

Even when the Romans raised many legions each Consul would still command only two legions (+ the allies, don't forget it). For example, in 209 BC, during the II Punic War, 21 legions were raised. Only 4 of them were commanded by the two Consuls. The rest were commanded by other guys. But almost always each command consisted of 2 legions (+ auxiliaries).

So in fact, in the operations in 209 BC the Consuls only commanded 1/5 of the Roman forces. The Romans liked the pairs, as you can see. With Cesar & Co. you can see they might command 7, 8, 9 legions though. But that was the road that lead to the end of the Republic

So when the expansion pack will be available, remember this "pairs" thing. 2 consuls with 2 legions each, a legate in let's say north Italy with 2 legions, another guy in Sicily with 2 legions and so on and so on. Small forces of 2 legions that is, who fight independently in their own theater.

And of course don't forget the auxiliaries.

At Cannae, they concentrated their forces though.

Cheers

< Message edited by TulliusDetritus -- 9/29/2012 6:59:32 PM >

"Hang on, is that it...? Are we on the ring...?? Ready???" -- Nürburgring Seven Second Ring King
Post #: 1
RE: Roman Republic way of war - 9/29/2012 7:20:36 PM   
Missouri_Rebel

Very much appreciated.

mo reb

**Those who rob Peter to pay Paul can always count on the support of Paul
**A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have-Gerald Ford

(in reply to TulliusDetritus)
Post #: 2
RE: Roman Republic way of war - 9/29/2012 9:11:32 PM   
wodin

Command Points more or less keeps it like that in game...

My Tactical wargame facebook page.

https://www.facebook.com/Tacticalwargame

(in reply to Missouri_Rebel)
Post #: 3
RE: Roman Republic way of war - 9/29/2012 9:27:13 PM   
TulliusDetritus

quote:

ORIGINAL: wodin

Yep, that's what I have noticed. It proves these guys did their homework, they know their stuff (as it should be, but sometimes it is not)

Anyway, what I said is 100% true with the pure Roman Republic (the Polybian legion, etc.). We shall see this Republic in the expansion. Now we are dealing with a rotten regime, with wannabe-kings (Cesar etc.) who want to get rid of the senate, clownish oligarchs and aristocrats... to rule above everyone else

"Hang on, is that it...? Are we on the ring...?? Ready???" -- Nürburgring Seven Second Ring King

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 4
RE: Roman Republic way of war - 10/2/2012 1:03:20 PM   
HanBarca

quote:

ORIGINAL: TulliusDetritus

quote:

ORIGINAL: wodin

Yep, that's what I have noticed. It proves these guys did their homework, they know their stuff (as it should be, but sometimes it is not)

Anyway, what I said is 100% true with the pure Roman Republic (the Polybian legion, etc.). We shall see this Republic in the expansion. Now we are dealing with a rotten regime, with wannabe-kings (Cesar etc.) who want to get rid of the senate, clownish oligarchs and aristocrats... to rule above everyone else

The 2 legions limit was probably enforced until the Macedonian / Syrian wars and quickly disappeared after. Gaius Marius commanded 6 legions at Aquae Sextiae in 106 BC.

H. Barca,
Surplus Consuls Dispatcher

(in reply to TulliusDetritus)
Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Alea Jacta Est Series >> Roman Republic way of war Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI