Matrix Games Forums

Hannibal: Terror of Rome goes into BetaBattle Academy Mega Pack releases on SteamDeal of the Week Da Vinci's Art of WarCivil War II Patch 1.4 public BetaHappy Easter!Battle Academy is now available on SteamPlayers compare Ageods Civil War to Civil War IIDeal of the week - An updated War in the East goes half Price!Sign up for the Qvadriga beta for iPad and Android!Come and say hi at Pax and Salute
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Good Resource For This Period

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Alea Jacta Est Series >> Good Resource For This Period Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Good Resource For This Period - 9/29/2012 3:11:57 PM   
Missouri_Rebel

I bought the game without any understanding of the Roman Republic/Empire merely for a change in pace from the norm i.e. WWII. My problem is I don't know anything about the era or wars. Does anyone have a comprehensive site that would help, especially with Caesars War?

TIA

mo reb

< Message edited by Missouri_Rebel -- 9/29/2012 3:12:14 PM >

**Those who rob Peter to pay Paul can always count on the support of Paul
**A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have-Gerald Ford
Post #: 1
RE: Good Resource For This Period - 9/29/2012 3:17:39 PM   
wodin

Same as myslef..so far I've found reading the AAR's the most helpful. I think actually my lack of knowledge helps in away as I can't notice any no historical elements..so my ignorance here helps in immersion! Were with WW1 and 2 it stands out a mile.

My Tactical wargame facebook page.

https://www.facebook.com/Tacticalwargame

(in reply to Missouri_Rebel)
Post #: 2
RE: Good Resource For This Period - 9/29/2012 4:17:47 PM   
Missouri_Rebel

I think this guy might be able to help.

Seems Like A Nice Guy

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 3
RE: Good Resource For This Period - 9/29/2012 4:43:48 PM   
OldSarge

Most of my resources come from books . Notably Adrian Goldsworthy and Graham Webster have excellent books that cover the Roman military of the time period covered by AJE.

This site Roman Empire gives a pretty quick overview of Roman history. For example if you want to find out why Vitellius has such a poor rating in the game. He really was a glutton!

Post #: 4
RE: Good Resource For This Period - 9/29/2012 4:57:22 PM   
Missouri_Rebel

Excellent OldSarge. Just the kind of stuff I am looking for.

**A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have-Gerald Ford

(in reply to OldSarge)
Post #: 5
RE: Good Resource For This Period - 9/29/2012 6:03:52 PM   
LarryP

MoReb: How do you like the game so far?

Post #: 6
RE: Good Resource For This Period - 9/29/2012 6:55:39 PM   
Missouri_Rebel

Well I have just scratched the surface really. All outward appearances indicate that it is a good product in tradition with many of Ageods games. Map is simply stunning, as one would expect. Is there another game company with such beautiful maps? I'd wager to say not. I can't speak for the gameplay because I have been taking some time to read up on the time period. I expect it to play as their other titles do, but the under represented wars have my interest stoked.

Quick, painless purchase with a great dl speed. At 24 bucks, how could you go wrong? I put that in my gas tank almost daily just to go to the hell I call work.

Larry, you know you are going to buy it. Such is our sickness. Might as well pull the trigger now and save yourself the aggravation.

mo reb

(in reply to LarryP)
Post #: 7
RE: Good Resource For This Period - 9/30/2012 6:05:05 PM   
LarryP

quote:

ORIGINAL: Missouri_Rebel

Well I have just scratched the surface really. All outward appearances indicate that it is a good product in tradition with many of Ageods games. Map is simply stunning, as one would expect. Is there another game company with such beautiful maps? I'd wager to say not. I can't speak for the gameplay because I have been taking some time to read up on the time period. I expect it to play as their other titles do, but the under represented wars have my interest stoked.

Quick, painless purchase with a great dl speed. At 24 bucks, how could you go wrong? I put that in my gas tank almost daily just to go to the hell I call work.

Larry, you know you are going to buy it. Such is our sickness. Might as well pull the trigger now and save yourself the aggravation.

mo reb

Ah, I used to be a purchase nut but since we got out of all debt, my ways have changed. It's funny, now that I can actually afford to buy more games, I buy less now. Don't want to get back into debt.

I see you had the game lockup on you in the tech section.

Post #: 8
RE: Good Resource For This Period - 9/30/2012 6:27:42 PM   
wodin

quote:

ORIGINAL: LarryP

quote:

ORIGINAL: Missouri_Rebel

mo reb

Ah, I used to be a purchase nut but since we got out of all debt, my ways have changed. It's funny, now that I can actually afford to buy more games, I buy less now. Don't want to get back into debt.

I see you had the game lockup on you in the tech section.

Seems to me your trying to justify why not to buy it..no one is forcing you..plenty of other games to see and play mate. If everyone perused the tech forums to see whether they should buy a game or not they'd never buy a game ever...

< Message edited by wodin -- 9/30/2012 6:29:51 PM >

My Tactical wargame facebook page.

https://www.facebook.com/Tacticalwargame

(in reply to LarryP)
Post #: 9
RE: Good Resource For This Period - 9/30/2012 8:42:32 PM   
LarryP

I think you are reading too much into my post. I didn't know the tech forums were off limits.

If you must know, my PC specs are very similar to the specs MoReb posted in the tech forum. I also have had lockups with AGEOD games in the past. Now if I chose to ignore his post, then that to me would be foolish.

< Message edited by LarryP -- 9/30/2012 8:51:15 PM >

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 10
RE: Good Resource For This Period - 9/30/2012 10:18:43 PM   
Missouri_Rebel

I changed some settings in the options and so far I have had no more problems.

But lookey, a demo has been released.

(in reply to LarryP)
Post #: 11
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Alea Jacta Est Series >> Good Resource For This Period Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI