Matrix Games Forums

Command gets Wargame of the Year EditionDeal of the Week: Pandora SeriesPandora: Eclipse of Nashira is now availableDistant Worlds Gets another updateHell is Approaching Deal of the Week Battle Academy Battle Academy 2 Out now!Legions of Steel ready for betaBattle Academy 2 gets trailers and Steam page!Deal of the Week Germany at War
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

OT Fortress Rubaul

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> OT Fortress Rubaul Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
OT Fortress Rubaul - 9/28/2012 6:53:35 PM   
dr.hal

Hey there folks, anyone know of this book? It's by Bruce Gamble. Here is the amazon writeup:

For most of World War II, the mention of Japan's island stronghold sent shudders through thousands of Allied airmen. Some called it “Fortress Rabaul,” an apt name for the headquarters of the Imperial Japanese forces in the Southwest Pacific. Author Bruce Gamble chronicles Rabaul’s crucial role in Japanese operations in the Southwest Pacific. Millions of square feet of housing and storage facilities supported a hundred thousand soldiers and naval personnel. Simpson Harbor and the airfields were the focus of hundreds of missions by American air forces.

Winner of the "Gold Medal" (Military Writers Society of America) and "Editor's Choice Award" (Stone & Stone Second World War Books), Fortress Rabaul details a critical and, until now, little understood chapter in the history of World War II.

Thanks in advance for your input... Hal

Edit, fixed the spelling, sorry about that..

< Message edited by dr.hal -- 9/28/2012 9:01:47 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: OT Fortress Rubal - 9/28/2012 6:58:41 PM   
Schanilec

Yes, I highly recommend the book. I wish he taken the story to the end of the war. Very good account of Butch O'Hares air battleEast of Rabaul in February 1942.

This is one Czech that doesn't bounce.

(in reply to dr.hal)
Post #: 2
RE: OT Fortress Rubal - 9/28/2012 7:25:22 PM   
geofflambert

When I saw the subject of your thread I thought you might be talking about fortress Rupaul. Just teasing. Now you're going to edit it and I'll look like an idiot. Oops, it's too late.

(in reply to Schanilec)
Post #: 3
RE: OT Fortress Rubal - 9/28/2012 7:29:43 PM   
Chickenboy

Hi Hal,

I have the book and read it within the last year. It does a nice job of expressing the difficulty of mounting an Allied air war from P/NG against Lae and Rabaul early in the war. Quite a bit of time spent on the logistics of B-17 night bombing, efficacy of fighter cover and logistical nightmares associated with the back-and-forth air war.

Worthwhile read that covers an under-reported aspect of the war against Japan.

(in reply to Schanilec)
Post #: 4
RE: OT Fortress Rubal - 9/28/2012 7:57:42 PM   
Nikademus

good book

Covers the air losses of the Port Morosby P-39's and Kittyhawks as well. It also provided a good in depth description on how the skip bombing tactics and trainings were developed.

Its only weaknesses are that it tends to jump around chapter to chapter which can cause confusion and it's post 1942 coverage is sparce.

(in reply to dr.hal)
Post #: 5
RE: OT Fortress Rubal - 9/28/2012 9:00:58 PM   
dr.hal

Thanks all, this is great input. Looks like I know what I'm reading next!

Geoff, I actually had the same thought after I posted thinking that it could be taken as a talk about Rubaul (despite my bad spelling!) even with the OT in front.... sigh.

Checkenboy and others, one thing I found great about Broken Sword was that it took the Japanese perspective and turned things on their collective heads... does this book try to relay things from the Japanese point of view, or is it all about Allied forces????

And again thanks all, I really appreciate you taking the time to respond.

(in reply to geofflambert)
Post #: 6
RE: OT Fortress Rubal - 9/29/2012 9:51:24 AM   
LargeSlowTarget

quote:

ORIGINAL: Schanilec

Yes, I highly recommend the book. I wish he taken the story to the end of the war. Very good account of Butch O'Hares air battleEast of Rabaul in February 1942.

+1

Title is a bit misleading since Rabaul was developed into a fortress in the later time period not covered by the book, but that is nitpicking. The author has hinted in the book that there might be a follow-up on the 1943-44 period. Check out http://www.brucegamble.com/Projectst.html

Carpe Cerevisiam

WitP AAR "Six Years of War"

(in reply to Schanilec)
Post #: 7
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> OT Fortress Rubaul Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI