Must have!

Alea Jacta Est is a series of Ancient Strategy Games using the renowned and proven AGE engine. The first in the series is Alea Jacta Est, which features the Roman Civil Wars. Other games in the series are Birth of Rome and Parthian Wars. The latest entry, Hannibal: Terror of Rome, highlights the Second Punic War.
wodin

Must have!

Post by wodin »

OK anyone with an interest in Rome must buy this game. Anyone who enjoys AGEOD games must buy this game.

I've played a few AGEOD titles and this one wins out for me. It has some minor issues which I'm sure will be dealt with over time. I do know that once the game is built up with expansions etc it will be the No1 Rome wargame. Infact though I'm not normally an ancient warfare wargamer I had an itch after watching Spartacus series for a game set in Rome. I held out for this and I'm so glad I did.

I imagine those who play PBEM and have a three person game it will be one hell of an experience.

The art is top noth. map is lovely. It oozes atmosphere.

The issues so far are that prisoner counts don't add up. Also the AI raids abit to often and splits it's forces then struggles to bring them back together again. I believe this is going to be looked at.

Also don't expect balance in some scenarios. Playing as Marius in the Marius and Ulla scenario is tough (I choose that as my first scenario, not recommended).

The events and decisions you can make really add to the game and it overflows with period goodness.

Anyway buy it. You wont be disappointed. I'd have loved some more scenarios and it seem there is no Spartacus scenario (must have been a preorder bonus). However considering the price you can't go wrong.

Can't wait for the expansion and hopefully more scenarios through DLC.
vonRocko

RE: Must have!

Post by vonRocko »

I agree, it is great! When it gets polished it is going to be shiny gem. [:)]
Spartacus was a preorder bonus.
LarryP

Post by LarryP »

I have about all of the AGEOD games and this looks like another with the same interface. Napoleon, Birth Of America 1 & 2, American Civil War, Pride Of Nations, and Revolution Under Siege. I'm tired of this interface so I'm passing on this title.
sullafelix

Post by sullafelix »

While it is true that is an AGE engine game, does that mean that it is just a pressed clone to make some cash? No, definitely not.

I do not understand the difference between computer wargamers and board wargamers or for that matter some of the companies that make the games.

In the board game world a good system that works would be used to game as many different battles/ times as the system was good for ( Great battles etc. ). No one in the board gaming world picks on a game because the system is the same or it resembles the other games in the series etc..

But definitely in computer games I see this a lot. Whether it is old customers who voice this opinion or the gaming companies themselves who feel that they have to mess with a good thing. I never understood why there is a difference in this.

Please don't get me wrong if you don't want the same interface it's a free country do as you will. I would only agree with you if the engine had been shoe horned into an age or war that it just doesn't work for. Which is definitely not the case for AJA. To me it is an excellent game and it is based upon some of my favorite historical eras so for me it is a win-win.
Windows 7 home premium 64
Intel quad core I7
16 gig
AMD R9 200 series

Di! Ecce hora! Uxor mea me necabit!
wodin

Post by wodin »

Larry your missing out on what for me is the best title yet and doesn't feel in anyway like someones forced Rome into a cookie cutter engine..

Not sure I understand your thought process here..

Seriously take it in it's own right it's a fantastic Rome wargame..I wasn't keen on the Civil war game or BOA for that matter..this however feels totally different.

Anyway to each his own. If you enjoy Ancient warfare your missing out.

Sulla says it better than me...
JiminyJickers

Post by JiminyJickers »

Is there any way to still get the Spartacus scenario? If not, I'll give it a miss for now. If I have to pay extra, all good.

Not a fan of exclusive pre-order bonuses, if that is their business practices, then they won't have my business.
wodin

Post by wodin »

Don't miss out just because of the Spartacus scenario..I was abit disappointed..but hey the game is that good I soon let the let down wash away.

Also these days I'm afraid nearly all developers are offering pre order bonus...if you stick to your guns eventually you'll have no games you'd be able to buy.

Not sure the Spartacus scenario was a big scenario either. Plus I expect we will get some user made scenarios. Finally the game is cheap and well worth the money. I see it as a base game that over time will grow into a comprehensive Rome wargame.
JiminyJickers

Post by JiminyJickers »

That is a shame, I'm not interested in buying a cut down version of the game. Most of these games only have a handful of scenarios anyway, if they get rid of one, then that doesn't do it for me.

Most of the pre-order bonuses are fairly useless items, a scenario however is a big deal as far as I'm concerned.

May look into it again later on when they either add it back in or release new scenarios, but for now I will wait. Not too bad since I have too many other games to play anyway, especially after just picking up Scourge of War.
sullafelix

Post by sullafelix »

Since their split with Paradox I believe they had to raise a bit of funding ASAP.

At least that is my take on the situation. I have never done a preorder before this game and I somewhat lean to your ideas on the matter.

However I really felt I had to do something to show my support of the company. Which at the moment is stilled called Paradox France but it is obvious they are separate entities.
Windows 7 home premium 64
Intel quad core I7
16 gig
AMD R9 200 series

Di! Ecce hora! Uxor mea me necabit!
Challerain

Post by Challerain »

I thought I read that the bonus scenario would be made available to everyone in mid-October, but can't seem to find where I read it. I think it was on the preorder page.
Hanal

Post by Hanal »

What bothered me about the pre order Spartacus scenario is that it was not made available here at Matrix....I buy my games from here if I have a choice so I felt a bit left out.....No matter though as I'm getting this one anyway.....
Reiryc

Post by Reiryc »

Great game and well worth picking up for the cheap price.

I'm biased though as I pretty much love all their games. I like the engine and how it plays well with the more fluid/mobile warfare instead of more modern conflicts with battle lines.
Enigma6584

Post by Enigma6584 »

Completely agree with you Wodin. Downloaded it today and have been floored with its historic detail. The unit art is extremely good. Love those ship units as well. Map is second to none. The game oozes with atmosphere.
Auchinleck

Post by Auchinleck »

Sulla! To the infamy of his name! To the utter damnation of his line!

Marcus Licineas Crassus
(played by Lawrence Olivier in Spartacus)
LarryP

Post by LarryP »

ORIGINAL: wodin

Not sure I understand your thought process here..

I suppose I'm just tired of the same interface after so many hours playing the other games I mentioned. When I look at the pictures of the game, I think "Oh no, I'm tired of that." I don't know how else to describe it.

sulla05: As far as board games go, I never play them as I don't like board (bored) games. I'm not what you would call a hardcore gamer. I'm more of a casual gamer.

I'll keep looking at the posts and maybe I will budge, but right now after so many hours of AGEOD Civil War, I'm not feeling it. [:)]
Blind Sniper

Post by Blind Sniper »

I'll keep looking at the posts and maybe I will budge, but right now after so many hours of AGEOD Civil War, I'm not feeling it.

I understand you point of view, after ACW I did bought Napoleonic Campaign but was a mistake, then no more Ageod games, all look very similar.

This time, after good review and low price I bought a game again, AJE.
The engine is the same (and mechanics too) but maybe is deep like ACW and even better, time will tell.
WitP-AE - WitE - CWII - BASPM - BaB

[center]Image[/center]
LarryP

Post by LarryP »

Blind Sniper, let me know how you like it and I may try it out. $25 isn't that much money.
Grotius

Post by Grotius »

How long does it take to process turns? That's what turned me off of Pride of Nations. I watched the OutOfEight video preview, and turn-processing seemed a lot quicker. Is that your experience?
wodin

Post by wodin »

Grotius no time at all...nothing like PON. Around 30 secs or so for me.

Tophat1815

Post by Tophat1815 »

ORIGINAL: Grotius

How long does it take to process turns? That's what turned me off of Pride of Nations. I watched the OutOfEight video preview, and turn-processing seemed a lot quicker. Is that your experience?

This was my big concern as well and why PON turned me off. The turn processing time for me so far has been no problem. I'll have to time a few turns later and post it. But the turn time isn't an issue.

Return to “Alea Jacta Est Series”