Question about Artillery. Am I doing it wrong?

Scourge of War is the definitive American Civil War grand tactical wargame of this generation. With impressive 3D graphics, an award-winning AI, pausable real-time play, historical battlefield terrain and orders of battle down to the regiment and battery level, Scourge of War captures the tactical challenges that faced the real Union and Confederate commanders more than 130 years ago.

This forum covers the main game Gettysburg and its two expansions Antietam, Pipe Creek, and Chancellorsville!

Moderator: MOD_ScourgeofWar

JiminyJickers

Question about Artillery. Am I doing it wrong?

Post by JiminyJickers »

Hi all,

I'm busy playing the demo and going through the tutorials. The controls are a bit frustrating but overall I like the game so far.

I must be doing something wrong on the Artillery tutorial because I can never seem to hit something. After playing the tutorial level twice, I only scored one hit on enemy soldiers, is this normal? I select my office, select the ammunition and then select the target, but they only sometimes fire at what I select. Even when they do, it seems like it is a miracle to hit something. Surely artillery can't be so innefective.

Another question, is it possilbe to see what targets my artillery are aiming for without having to select the individual battery? My officer selection screen shows absolutely no useful information.
e_barkmann

RE: Question about Artillery. Am I doing it wrong?

Post by e_barkmann »

There's an excellent post about artillery in SOW on the NSD website, worth a read:

http://www.norbsoftdev.net/forum/comman ... -artillery

cheers
Scourge of War multiplayer group

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/sowwaterloo
RebBugler

Post by RebBugler »

Only individual guns show target, but you can use the arty officer to target individual units. I agree, the arty officer toolbar should have more info about the guns.

Don't expect WMD results from ACW artillery unless the crews are the top experience levels. Regardless of level, solid shot will prove the most effective beyond canister range.

There are many opinions on how effective artillery should be. We at SOW have researched and tested this subject to the max, and we feel that historically, we've got it right. One thing that may be skewed though, the engine was designed for Gettysburg, and thus the poor timing fuses for the CSA are formulated in so their effectiveness is diminished somewhat. So, as we evolved into the new battles, this aspect of effectiveness for GB is also somewhat skewed, whereas, although not as effective overall as the Union guns, the CSA guns were still better without those defective fuses.

Thanks to Chris for that link, there are many many more, as artillery opinions abound, and like a particular orifice, everyone has one.[;)]
Designer - Scourge of War
JiminyJickers

Post by JiminyJickers »

Thanks, I will have a read through that link and have another go at that tutorial to see if I can get the hang of it.
kkomisarcik

Post by kkomisarcik »

As I recall, the quality of the artillerists in the tutorial is poor. So in this scenario don't worry about the score. Instead, concentrate on being able to move them from place to place, especially when they are engaged. It takes a bit of practice to master this and is a requirement if you are to be an effective commander in your upcoming battles. Good luck.
Secession is futile.
Qwixt

Post by Qwixt »

I am attempting to do the tutorial as well. I want the artillery to face and support the main attack, but they always face the division on the left. When I let them attack those guys, the attack was not effective at all.
kkomisarcik

Post by kkomisarcik »

All units will target the enemy that is closest to it. With artillery, you have the ability to select any individual target that is in sight and range. To do so, select a gun and click the button that looks like a cross-hair. Then click on the regiment you want to target. The gun should reposition and begin firing at the new target.
Secession is futile.
Qwixt

Post by Qwixt »

Thanks for the help. When I try that, and they still seem to pick whatever they want. I set the target and the red crosshair is over the enemy. I check each gun, and they are correctly targeting the enemy. Then I move down to the enemy to check if they are under fire. Doesn't really seem like it. I go back to the artillery, and they are facing in a completely different direction, targeting a different enemy now. Oh well, it's obvious I must be doing something wrong. Guess I better read up a bit.

Return to “Scourge of War Gettysburg Series”