Fatal Crashes to Desktop

Post bug reports and ask for support here.

Moderator: doomtrader

Omnius

Fatal Crashes to Desktop

Post by Omnius »

I recently purchased both SWiE and Time of Fury and I'm very disappointed that ToF crashes to desktop far too often and the crashes tend to be fatal. I started two games as Switzerland just to let the AI's play through while I get familiar with the game system. I started one 1939 Grand Campaign, the historical one, and the 1941 Campaign Game, the first Barbarossa one. I got 117 turns into the 1939 scenartio before I encountered a fatal CTD that I can't play through. I think it happens during Germany's turn. I got about 80 turns or so into the 1941 scenario before a fatal CTD ended that game. Just not acceptable to have fatal CTD's. Both games were the stock ones, not modded.

I tried uploading the zip file of one of the CTD games but can't see where it was successful. If someone would like the zip files of these fatally crashed games please let me know where to send them.

Attachments
SwissTestToF.zip
(1.72 MiB) Downloaded 3 times
Omnius

Fatal Crashes to Desktop Part 2

Post by Omnius »

Here's the second fatal CTD game I had for the 1941 scenario. I didn't see the attachment in Preview but saw it came through in the final post.

Attachments
SwissTestToF1941.zip
(1.5 MiB) Downloaded 3 times
doomtrader

RE: Fatal Crashes to Desktop Part 2

Post by doomtrader »

We will take a look at this.
Omnius

Thanks for Reply

Post by Omnius »

Doomtrader,
Thanks for the reply as to looking at my saved games to help fix those nasty CTD's. I tried SWiE first thinking that playing it would help me learn the game mechanics easier but it is flawed because the USSR is not modeled properly. In several games as Switzerland starting in 1939 and 1941 I saw the Soviet AI always lost. I tried playing the USSR from 1939 and saw that the War Economy percentage was too low in the 7/41 turn compared to the 1941 setup, about half. Even when I cranked the Soviet AI up to Very Easy with everyone else at normal it actually surrendered to Germany. Unlike ToF SWiE doesn't have the Siberian troops coming in nor any kind of initial war extra troops for the 1941 German invasion.

I think ToF has potential to be an excellent game once the CTD's are fixed. When I first saw that ToF was compared to Hearts of Iron I thought no way I'll buy the game. Instead I discovered that ToF is more like Decision Game's computer War in Europe, the computerized version of the great old Strategic Simulations Inc. War in Europe monster board game. ToF is more like cWiE with a much improved, detailed air and naval system. I found that Hearts of Iron and Making History were the two worst excuses for WW2 strategic war games.

I hope that a new patch comes out soon which will fix most, if not all, CTD's. Nothing worse than investing many hours playing a game to have it lock up with a fatal CTD that can't be worked around. I'll just putz around watching the AI's play while I goof off as Switzerland.
Omnius
Tomokatu

RE: Thanks for Reply

Post by Tomokatu »

One thing you'll find, Omnius, is that Slitherine's support is pretty good.
For every action, there is an equal and opposite malfunction
doomtrader

Post by doomtrader »

We did not experieanced the crash.
Could anybody please check this save games?
Omnius

Post by Omnius »

Doomtrader,
I couldn't get past these two fatal CTD's on my machine. I have an Apple top-of-the-line 27" iMac running a Windows 7 partition so I know my machine is way past the minimum requirements. In the 1939 and 1941 campaigns I got these two fatal CTD's that stopped my games cold and after at least 5 attempts each to get past these fatal CTD's I couldn't. They always crash during the German turn. I did get through the 1942 campaign to the point where Germany surrendered sometime in 1946 after I jumped in and did two amphib assualts to take out Norway as the USA.
Omnius

Return to “Tech Support”