Matrix Games Forums

War in the West gets its first update!Flashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm version 2.08 is now available!Command gets huge update!Order of Battle: Pacific Featured on Weekly Streaming SessionA new fight for Battle Academy!Buzz Aldrin's Space Program Manager is out for Mac!The definitive wargame of the Western Front is out now! War in the West gets teaser trailer and Twitch Stream!New Preview AAR for War in the West!War in the West Manual preview
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Soviet Rockets / Breakthrough / Regular Artillery Divisions proportion

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> Soviet Rockets / Breakthrough / Regular Artillery Divisions proportion Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Soviet Rockets / Breakthrough / Regular Artillery Divis... - 9/25/2012 12:23:56 PM   
TulliusDetritus

Well, in theory on my game I am starting to upgrade to the Red Army v 2.O

I have started buying artillery divisions (regular, rocket, breakthrough). But -as I have no idea- according to the more experienced gurus out there (1943 is a virgin territory to me), what should be the correct proportion? And what should be the grand total? 40, 50...?

A thing like this:

Regular / breakthrough / rocket
1 / 1 / 1?
2 / 1 / 1?
3 / 2 / 1?
etc etc

Thanks in advance

Russian Kung Fu Masters. Hurraaaa!!!
Post #: 1
RE: Soviet Rockets / Breakthrough / Regular Artillery D... - 9/25/2012 10:50:43 PM   
Schmart

This will provide some information:

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3126849

"Artillery" Divs will upgrade to "Breakthrough" Divs. "Gun" Divisions don't upgrade. Most Divs built should be the Artillery or Breakthrough variety. Historically, the Russians created 37 normal plus 7 Rocket Divs.

(in reply to TulliusDetritus)
Post #: 2
RE: Soviet Rockets / Breakthrough / Regular Artillery D... - 9/25/2012 11:27:18 PM   
TulliusDetritus

Many thanks I downloaded the zip and read the PDF inside.

Alrite then. So far I just have created 14 Regular / Breakthrough and 6 Rocket divisions. To stay historical I still need one more Rocket division and then 23 regular / breakthrough nasty things. Which will be done in let's say er... the next er... 4 turns. Presto, dabai dabai!

*not to scare you, Marquo, but I will soon introduce you to my new friends, don't worry!*

Russian Kung Fu Masters. Hurraaaa!!!

(in reply to Schmart)
Post #: 3
RE: Soviet Rockets / Breakthrough / Regular Artillery D... - 9/26/2012 12:22:21 AM   
Aurelian

I didn't find Rocket Divs all that useful. And they took *forever* to fill up.

(in reply to TulliusDetritus)
Post #: 4
RE: Soviet Rockets / Breakthrough / Regular Artillery D... - 9/26/2012 1:37:37 AM   
turtlefang

I agree with Aurelian. Rocket divisions take forever to get to thier TO&E so I have stopped building more than 3 (ok, I have to have three just to play with them, reality, shouldn't build any but I can't resist). And I target a multiple of 3 in my builds due to stacking so it 39 based on advice given to me earlier in this forum.

A lot of folks recommend getting rid of the artillery support units when the divisions appear - I don't. I want all the firepower I can get into the fight and since these are already built, I keep them.

(in reply to Aurelian)
Post #: 5
RE: Soviet Rockets / Breakthrough / Regular Artillery D... - 9/26/2012 3:27:58 AM   
Klydon

To get around some of the issues with the rocket units, I look to build several of them earlier in the game as SU's, then disband them later on so the rockets go back to the pool. I have not had a chance to test this to the point where I am building rocket divisions, but I do agree it is tough to get rocket units in general built. However, doing it this way should get rocket units built over time.

(in reply to turtlefang)
Post #: 6
RE: Soviet Rockets / Breakthrough / Regular Artillery D... - 9/26/2012 7:52:47 AM   
Aurelian

I think the size is what makes them take so long.

The 43 Rckt Div has 864 launchers. BM-30-4.

The 44 one has 288 BM-31.

(in reply to Klydon)
Post #: 7
RE: Soviet Rockets / Breakthrough / Regular Artillery D... - 9/26/2012 4:42:24 PM   
turtlefang

You could be right regarding the number of launchers. I just know it takes a looooong time.

I should have looked more closely at the TO&E - didn't realize you needed 864 of those suckers.

(in reply to Aurelian)
Post #: 8
RE: Soviet Rockets / Breakthrough / Regular Artillery D... - 9/26/2012 5:43:29 PM   
Klydon

Even the earlier rocket SU's are very slow to fill. It is almost like they don't have much priority when it comes to armaments.

(in reply to turtlefang)
Post #: 9
RE: Soviet Rockets / Breakthrough / Regular Artillery D... - 9/27/2012 7:43:37 AM   
delatbabel

I build lots of rocket divs, they are the best thing for breaking lines. I find that the first 3-4 that I build don't ever fill up, and then the rest do. I have no idea why, I suspect some obscure bug. e.g. by late 43 the 1st - 3rd rocket divs will still be at 10% TOE but the others will be 90%+.

The breakthrough divs are useful too, but less so.

--
Del

(in reply to Klydon)
Post #: 10
RE: Soviet Rockets / Breakthrough / Regular Artillery D... - 9/27/2012 2:27:51 PM   
Marquo

TD, I have no fear.

Marquo

(in reply to delatbabel)
Post #: 11
RE: Soviet Rockets / Breakthrough / Regular Artillery D... - 9/27/2012 3:31:59 PM   
turtlefang

If this is true, has someone reported this as an bug that needs to be reviewed or checked? Just wondering.

(in reply to delatbabel)
Post #: 12
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> Soviet Rockets / Breakthrough / Regular Artillery Divisions proportion Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI