Aircraft Loads

Please post here for questions and discussion about scenario design, art and sound modding and the game editor for WITP Admiral's Edition.

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

treespider

Aircraft Loads

Post by treespider »

One item all of you serious modders should be aware of...is the use of the Filter for aircraft loads...fully implemented in the 1117 Beta.

By using a filter you can specify which load is carried for which mission.

Filter values are:
2 - used for naval attacks
4 - alternate for naval attack (like torp replacement)
8 - used for land (ground) attack
16 - used for port attack
32 - used for AF attack

Attachments
ScreenShot068.jpg
ScreenShot068.jpg (204.28 KiB) Viewed 756 times
Here's a link to:
Treespider's Grand Campaign of DBB

"It is not the critic who counts, .... The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena..." T. Roosevelt, Paris, 1910
PaxMondo

RE: Aircraft Loads

Post by PaxMondo »

ORIGINAL: treespider

One item all of you serious modders should be aware of...is the use of the Filter for aircraft loads...fully implemented in the 1117 Beta.

Filter values are:
32 - used for AF attack

Wow!!

much easier than using the the witploadae editor. THANKS! did not know this was there.
Pax
sandman455

Post by sandman455 »

Wow!

That is huge.

[&o]
Gary S (USN 1320, 1985-1993)
AOCS 1985, VT10 1985-86, VT86 1986, VS41 1986-87
VS32 1987-90 (NSO/NWTO, deployed w/CV-66, CVN-71)
VS27 1990-91 (NATOPS/Safety)
SFWSLANT 1991-93 (AGM-84 All platforms, S-3 A/B systems)
michaelm75au

Post by michaelm75au »

Only drawback obviously is how may spare slots are available on the a/c in order to set up the optional weapon loads. The same order/slot should be maintained in the extended load (11-20), otherwise some of the details may be mucked up.
Michael
Dan Nichols

Post by Dan Nichols »

Can the filters be combined? If I want the same load for alternate Naval and Port attack could I use a filter value of 20?
I think that the two obligations you have are to be good at what you do and then to pass on your knowledge to a younger person
witpqs

Post by witpqs »

ORIGINAL: Dan Nichols

Can the filters be combined? If I want the same load for alternate Naval and Port attack could I use a filter value of 20?
Based on those values - yes. They look like each one is a bit being set, which is why each value is double the previous one. So figure out which ones you want, then add them up and use the total number. The only catch would be whether or not the code allows certain combinations, which Michael would have to tell us.
michaelm75au

Post by michaelm75au »

Yes, it checks for the settings individually bit-wise.
Michael
fodder

Post by fodder »

Filter values are:
32 - used for AF attack

OK, I've been away a while (computer meltdown) and have only just gotten back. Finding the new beta is a great thrill. This new feature is dream come ture. I have to build myself a new mod to play. My old mod and everything else I had on my computer is gone.

Looking at treespiders example here something struck me right away. The bombloads shown are for normal range missions right? The Betty had a normal bombload capacity of 1000k. That means on normal range mission the Betty can carry 4x250k, 2x500k, 1x800k, or 10x100k, bombs. I get to pick what they will use on each type of mission, this is GREAT!!! The only limit are the planes max bombload and what will acually fit in the bomb bay.

THANK YOU
michaelm
inqistor

Post by inqistor »

It worketh!

Although, I am not sure you can completely disable hard-coded torpedo replacement bombs.

Now... does anyone have historical bombloads? I have only found that KATEs used 2x250kg+4x60kg bombs at Pearl Harbor airfield attack, and some early Allied pamphlet claims, that NELLs carried 2x1000lb+2x500lb bombs in naval strikes (well, seems logical, that 2E NELL carries more, than 1E KATE)

Attachments
ph.jpg
ph.jpg (50.82 KiB) Viewed 745 times
michaelm75au

Post by michaelm75au »

ORIGINAL: fodder

Filter values are:
32 - used for AF attack

OK, I've been away a while (computer meltdown) and have only just gotten back. Finding the new beta is a great thrill. This new feature is dream come ture. I have to build myself a new mod to play. My old mod and everything else I had on my computer is gone.

Looking at treespiders example here something struck me right away. The bombloads shown are for normal range missions right? The Betty had a normal bombload capacity of 1000k. That means on normal range mission the Betty can carry 4x250k, 2x500k, 1x800k, or 10x100k, bombs. I get to pick what they will use on each type of mission, this is GREAT!!! The only limit are the planes max bombload and what will acually fit in the bomb bay.

THANK YOU
michaelm

The filters have been there for awhile, even the editor knows about them.[:D]
Just have tweaked them to handle a few additional settings.
Michael
fodder

Post by fodder »

ORIGINAL: michaelm
The filters have been there for awhile, even the editor knows about them.[:D]
Just have tweaked them to handle a few additional settings.

Thanks for the info.

Now there's only 999,999 things I don't know about the editor.
fodder

Post by fodder »

ORIGINAL: inqistor

It worketh!

Although, I am not sure you can completely disable hard-coded torpedo replacement bombs.

Now... does anyone have historical bombloads? I have only found that KATEs used 2x250kg+4x60kg bombs at Pearl Harbor airfield attack, and some early Allied pamphlet claims, that NELLs carried 2x1000lb+2x500lb bombs in naval strikes (well, seems logical, that 2E NELL carries more, than 1E KATE)

The NELL and KATE had the same max payload of 800kg. I did know this right away (not to brag) but I did check to make sure. While doing so, much to my surprise, I found that the B5N1 could not carry a torpedo. The B5N1 had under wing racks for 2x 250kg or 6x 60kg bombs. After the B5N2 came out (which did have crutches to hold a torpedo or 800kg bomb) some B5N1s were modified to carry a torpedo or 800kg bomb. They then were called B5N1-K.

Anyway, bomb load for the NELL
1x torp
Up to 800kg of bombs, most common loads were.
1x800Kg bomb
3x250kg bombs
8x100kg bombs

Most common loads for the B5N2 KATE
1x torp
1x800kg bomb
3x250kg bombs

Hope this helps.

Edit to remove an unneeded. "S"
Shark7

Post by Shark7 »

uh-oh, I feel the need to mod again. [:D]
Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'
inqistor

Post by inqistor »

HEY!
I was asking about ALL torpedo carrying planes. Here is incomplete list:
B4Y1
B5M1
B5N1/2
B6N1/2/2a
B7A2
G3M2/3
G4M1/2/3
H6K
H8K
M6A1
P1Y1/2

Ki-67

SWORDFISH
ALBACORE
AVENGER
BARRACUDA
BEAUFIGHTER
BEAUFORT

VILDEBEEST

TBD/TBF/TBM
ORIGINAL: fodder
ORIGINAL: inqistor

It worketh!

The NELL and KATE had the same max payload of 800kg. I did know this right away (not to brag) but I did check to make sure.
That sounds right only in theory. When you dig deeper, you will discover, that NELLs carried 45 cm (17.7") Type 91 (1931) Mod 1 torpedo (weight 784 kg) against Force Z, while KATEs carried 45 cm (17.7") Type 91 (1931) Mod 2 torpedo (weight 935 kg) at Pearl Harbor. Problem is that, BETTYs also carried Mod 2 against force Z, so it seems NELLs either were not equipped for heavier torpedo, or had smaller bombload.
I actually checked another early war Allied pamphlet, and it also lists NELL at 3000 lb bombload (probably same source for 2x1000 lb+2x500 lb).
While doing so, much to my surprise, I found that the B5N1 could not carry a torpedo. The B5N1 had under wing racks for 2x 250kg or 6x 60kg bombs.
Oh yeah, my bad. B5N2 actually carried 1x250kg+6x60kg against airfields at Pearl Harbor.

Anyway, I also found, that BETTY is listed as carrying 4x250 kg, but G4M2 was able to carry MOD 7 torpedo (and I am pretty sure G4M1 could NOT carry it), and this monster weights 1052 kg.
Dili

Post by Dili »

The Nell bombs were all external?
fodder

Post by fodder »

ORIGINAL: Dili

Yup!

Attachments
G3M1.jpg
G3M1.jpg (18.79 KiB) Viewed 744 times
fodder

Post by fodder »

ORIGINAL: Dili

yup

Attachments
G3M5.jpg
G3M5.jpg (73.01 KiB) Viewed 743 times
Shark7

Post by Shark7 »

OK, just to make sure:

An aircraft that carries both a torpedo and 2 250kg bombs on naval attack you would use 2 slots, one with the torpedo and one set with the bombs and filter both to 2, right? And this will still use both on the naval attack missions while allowing me to set an 8 x 100kg bomb load for AF attack - 32?
Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'
fodder

Post by fodder »

ORIGINAL: Shark7

OK, just to make sure:

An aircraft that carries both a torpedo and 2 250kg bombs on naval attack you would use 2 slots, one with the torpedo and one set with the bombs and filter both to 2, right? And this will still use both on the naval attack missions while allowing me to set an 8 x 100kg bomb load for AF attack - 32?

That's my understanding of it.

Hopfully michaelm will confirm.

michaelm75au

Post by michaelm75au »

Here is a 'Betty' example set up for various loads, and how it shows in the game. The types of load are just for show, not actual.

The values against the weapon lines are:
G = ground attack
N = naval attack (main)
n = naval attack (alternate instead of torpedo)
P = port attack
A = airfield attack
W = ASW attack
Multiple values are possible by adding together the decimal values - AF and port = 32 +16 = 48 (= AP).
Attachments
bettyonfilters.jpg
bettyonfilters.jpg (177.51 KiB) Viewed 750 times
Michael

Return to “Scenario Design and Modding”