Matrix Games Forums

Space Program Manager Launch Contest Announced!Battle Academy 2 is out now on iPad!A closer look at rockets in Space Program ManagerDeal of the Week - Pride of NationsA new update for Piercing Fortress EuropaNew screenshots for War in the West!Pike & Shot is now available!Server Maintenance Battle Academy 2 gets updated!Deal of the Week: Advanced Tactics Gold
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Combat System?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Alea Jacta Est Series >> Combat System? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Combat System? - 9/23/2012 4:15:26 PM   
Marcus the leper

I enjoy the scope and art of AGEOD's games, but, the combat system leaves little to be desired. Is this built on that system? Will AGEOD ever revamp that in any way?
Post #: 1
RE: Combat System? - 9/28/2012 3:25:35 AM   
Reiryc

quote:

ORIGINAL: Marcus the leper

I enjoy the scope and art of AGEOD's games, but, the combat system leaves little to be desired. Is this built on that system? Will AGEOD ever revamp that in any way?

Yes, same combat system.

I think it's a good system in how it handles battles and outcomes. In most of their titles the outcomes of battles seems reasonable when all the factors are considered which can be considerable.

I don't know if it will be revamped with the current engine but I'd say it's unlikely.

(in reply to Marcus the leper)
Post #: 2
RE: Combat System? - 9/28/2012 4:45:05 PM   
Erik Rutins

Hi Marcus,

What aspect of the combat system concerns you? As Reiryc said, it's quite complex and especially after the many improvements over various AGEOD releases I think it handles battles and reports the reasons for its results remarkably well. If you have a concern based on a previous game, perhaps we can address it if we know what it is specifically?

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
Director of Product Development

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to Reiryc)
Post #: 3
RE: Combat System? - 9/28/2012 6:04:12 PM   
Marcus the leper

Specifically, the manner is which battles are resolved. I have no issue with the data that drives the resolution, just the delivery of it. I would suggest, using the same model, the Grigsby Civil War game is more to my liking. I don't know if the implementation of round by round messages might make it more satisfying but, that might be one improvement I could suggest. I just don't enjoy the instant resolution, it does little for tension and adding an element of surprise. Just my two cents and having said all of that, I own many AGEOD games and plan on getting this one.

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 4
RE: Combat System? - 9/28/2012 7:22:51 PM   
ganderson1

My 2 cents: I agree with Marcus. The instantaneous combat resolution really lets the air out of the balloon. Doesn't affect the game in any way, granted. But a display that was a little more stately, a little more epic, would be welcome.

Post #: 5
RE: Combat System? - 9/28/2012 7:44:48 PM   
Tophat1812

After you receive the battle results you can click and find out a detailed report on how the units performed and detailed losses they took. Plenty of time in this "turnbased game" to linger and report monger over information. I must be an anomaly then as i like the combat system.

(in reply to ganderson1)
Post #: 6
RE: Combat System? - 9/28/2012 8:13:11 PM   
Marcus the leper

Understood, but for me, I just enjoy a bit more immersion. With the instant results, I am often left feeling as if I have little control. I would like to see round to round resolution, with options to change the course of a battle after or before those rounds. I don't know if that would be something like option cards or in this case, posture changes or formation changes, but something that involved my input beyond the make up of a particular army and the logistics of that army at the time of battle.

(in reply to Tophat1812)
Post #: 7
RE: Combat System? - 9/28/2012 8:48:38 PM   
mbar

quote:

ORIGINAL: ganderson1

My 2 cents: I agree with Marcus. The instantaneous combat resolution really lets the air out of the balloon. Doesn't affect the game in any way, granted. But a display that was a little more stately, a little more epic, would be welcome.

I saw a tutorial video and I believe that is adjustable in options. You can watch more detail in battle. Battle Animation is the option.

Youtube video

(in reply to ganderson1)
Post #: 8
RE: Combat System? - 9/28/2012 9:16:50 PM   
Jafele

Agree with Marcus. For the future AGEODE´S games should have active battles using simultaneous turns. Just like Roman Civil Wars: http://www.hpssims.com/Pages/Products/Ancient/RCW/RCW.asp

Depending the geography of the battle, the terrain could be random, so every battle is unique. Of course the current conditions of the troops involved and others details affects to every unit during the battle. On the other hand I really love AGEODE´s game system.

(in reply to mbar)
Post #: 9
RE: Combat System? - 9/28/2012 9:31:43 PM   
CLEVELAND

I will buy this game, no doubt, but I do agree with the original post. AGEOD combat resolution doesn't have enough tension, drama or decision making for me. I do like the operational aspects of their system and it goes a long way to make up for the tactical shortcomings.

A nice quick and fun combat resolution system that I do enjoy is in the Matrix Hannibal game.

< Message edited by CLEVELAND -- 9/28/2012 9:36:30 PM >

(in reply to Jafele)
Post #: 10
RE: Combat System? - 9/28/2012 10:05:31 PM   
Marcus the leper

Cleveland, that is exactly what I am talking about! Superb comparison! I don't know if it is just the ability to chose what unit will engage in the next round, or the die roll, but to have something like Hannibal's battle resolution, with all of AGEOD's otherwise fantastic depth, would be the ultimate war/strategy game. Excellent idea!

(in reply to CLEVELAND)
Post #: 11
RE: Combat System? - 9/28/2012 10:21:44 PM   
Missouri_Rebel

I'll be buying, quite possibly tonight, but I too would prefer a more interactive combat round. I think WWI Gold does it pretty good and adds just the right amount of tactical decisions to the combat.

mo reb

< Message edited by Missouri_Rebel -- 9/28/2012 10:22:21 PM >

**Those who rob Peter to pay Paul can always count on the support of Paul
**A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have-Gerald Ford

Post #: 12
RE: Combat System? - 9/29/2012 1:02:15 AM   
Marcus the leper

Another really good example Missouri. I think the common thread between both and what AGEOD games typically lack is something very simple; a bit of interaction and control, or perceived control in determining the outcome. I too am taking the plunge, this looks too good on too many levels to let the combat resolution sway me to not buy!

(in reply to Missouri_Rebel)
Post #: 13
RE: Combat System? - 9/29/2012 1:39:15 AM   
**budd**

I agree with OP also, i bought BOA2 and thought great map, units, good style but the combat just didnt do it for me. I'm sure it's changed some, but in BOA2 if i remember right you didn't even know why you lost a fight. i tried to get into it, but it just didn't click for me. I want to like their games, they do interesting time periods. I've almost bought RUS many times but never could pull the trigger. What we need is a detailed AAR showing off all the gameplay stuff

Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must. ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.

Post #: 14
RE: Combat System? - 9/29/2012 2:20:41 AM   
BohémondAJE

You will find a list of AJE AAR's in AJE Subforum from AGEOD forum.

Regards

Bohémond from AJE Team.

(in reply to **budd**)
Post #: 15
RE: Combat System? - 10/11/2012 3:59:01 PM   
abj9562

thanks

Integrity is what you do when nobody is watching.

(in reply to BohémondAJE)
Post #: 16
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Alea Jacta Est Series >> Combat System? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI