Matrix Games Forums

Pandora: Eclipse of Nashira Announced! Deal of the Week: Command Ops goes half price!New Fronts are opening up for Commander: The Great WarCharacters of World War 1Sign of for the Pike and Shot Beta!More Games are Coming to Steam! Return to the Moon on October 31st! Commander: The Great War iPad Wallpapers Generals of the Great WarDeal of the Week Panzer Corps
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Moose Seeks Boris (or Natasha) As Japanese Opponent

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Opponents Wanted >> RE: Moose Seeks Boris (or Natasha) As Japanese Opponent Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Moose Seeks Boris (or Natasha) As Japanese Opponent - 9/25/2012 1:59:45 PM   
Canoerebel

Who needs a urinal when you have woods and a back door?

P.S. I would love to take on the Moose, but I came to this belatedly and have to honor my "one game at a time" commitment anyhow. Good luck to Moose. By the way, I heard on the radio news that yesterday was the 50th anniversary of Moose's first appearance on CBS Television. Congrats!

(in reply to Bullwinkle58)
Post #: 31
RE: Moose Seeks Boris (or Natasha) As Japanese Opponent - 9/25/2012 3:23:48 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bullwinkle58
Are you with me, men?!

Not at the urinal, no. One must respect one's privacy, what.

Post #: 32
RE: Moose Seeks Boris (or Natasha) As Japanese Opponent - 9/25/2012 3:54:43 PM   
Bullwinkle58

quote:

ORIGINAL: Canoerebel

Who needs a urinal when you have woods and a back door?

P.S. I would love to take on the Moose, but I came to this belatedly and have to honor my "one game at a time" commitment anyhow. Good luck to Moose. By the way, I heard on the radio news that yesterday was the 50th anniversary of Moose's first appearance on CBS Television. Congrats!

Yeah, I was three-YO.

You would have had to play Japan, which would have given me a shot. That and stacking Scooooodra high and wide.

< Message edited by Bullwinkle58 -- 9/25/2012 3:55:42 PM >

The Moose

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 33
RE: Moose Seeks Boris (or Natasha) As Japanese Opponent - 9/25/2012 3:55:21 PM   
Bullwinkle58

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

quote:

Are you with me, men?!

Not at the urinal, no. One must respect one's privacy, what.

You must never have unloaded beer at the Metrodome.

The Moose

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 34
RE: Moose Seeks Boris (or Natasha) As Japanese Opponent - 9/25/2012 3:57:55 PM   
Bullwinkle58

Isn't it strange the one of the most active current threads is a Closed opponent wanted?

The Moose

Post #: 35
RE: Moose Seeks Boris (or Natasha) As Japanese Opponent - 9/25/2012 9:00:48 PM   
DOCUP

Bulwinkle, just wait till you start your AAR. You will have a huge view and post count. Could even rival CR and GJ's AARs.

Post #: 36
RE: Moose Seeks Boris (or Natasha) As Japanese Opponent - 9/26/2012 2:32:35 PM   
Bullwinkle58

quote:

ORIGINAL: DOCUP

Bulwinkle, just wait till you start your AAR. You will have a huge view and post count. Could even rival CR and GJ's AARs.

Still mulling that. A huge time sink. (I never use three words when thirty will do.) And do I want to show my underwear as I get my head handed to me? Pops always said losing was character building . . . But Mom always said to wait until they were alseep and then cut 'em across the windpipe so they wouldn't squeal. Decisions, decisions.

The Moose

(in reply to DOCUP)
Post #: 37
RE: Moose Seeks Boris (or Natasha) As Japanese Opponent - 9/26/2012 10:08:46 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

Isn't it strange the one of the most active current threads is a Closed opponent wanted?

Not really. Especially if you keep posting in here.

Post #: 38
RE: Moose Seeks Boris (or Natasha) As Japanese Opponent - 9/26/2012 10:50:18 PM   
Bullwinkle58

quote:

quote:

Waiting on the first turn.

Post Count +1!!!!!

The Moose

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 39
RE: Moose Seeks Boris (or Natasha) As Japanese Opponent - 9/26/2012 11:17:40 PM   
witpqs

quote:

quote:

quote:

Post Count +1!!!!!

Moose:

My own AAR activity is as follows:
- I open a text editor when I do the turn. You might use Notepad, whatever you like.
- After the combat replay, I review the report files (event, then operations, then combat). When I do this, I make notes/comments in the text editor for the AAR.
- I might find one or two more things to say for the AAR while I do the turn.
- I also try to snap one screen pic each turn for the AAR. Sometimes I annotate it, usually not.

When I email off the turn, I go to the AAR thread and paste in the post I made, upload the image and I'm done.

The point is that it takes minimal extra time and actually helps me think my way through the turn in a little more disciplined fashion.

Intel Monkey: https://sites.google.com/site/staffmonkeys/

Post #: 40
RE: Moose Seeks Boris (or Natasha) As Japanese Opponent - 9/26/2012 11:49:06 PM   
zuluhour

Best of luck moose.

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 41
RE: Moose Seeks Boris (or Natasha) As Japanese Opponent - 9/27/2012 12:02:20 AM   
zuluhour

should'ent the version above be 1.7.11.17 ?

(in reply to zuluhour)
Post #: 42
RE: Moose Seeks Boris (or Natasha) As Japanese Opponent - 9/27/2012 2:25:49 AM   
Chickenboy

quote:

quote:

quote:

Post Count +1!!!!!

Well, start your AAR, moose dude!

ETA: In our abortive 2x2 PBEM "Thread War" AAR, we had some 18 pages before turn one! Some of it wasn't even smack talk!

< Message edited by Chickenboy -- 9/27/2012 2:26:35 AM >

Post #: 43
RE: Moose Seeks Boris (or Natasha) As Japanese Opponent - 9/27/2012 1:58:24 PM   
Bullwinkle58

quote:

ORIGINAL: witpqs

The point is that it takes minimal extra time and actually helps me think my way through the turn in a little more disciplined fashion.

Taking notes reminds me of a real job I had once!

Still don't know about the AAR. I enjoy reading some, not some others. I don't have the sense of humor to keep up with Cap Mandrake and I wouldn't try. I suspect this game could be short, violent, and un-good for the Allies. I also suspect that a lot of old-timers would read to see if a no-HR game is feasible, and/or to watch me get schooled. I'm interested in the former, don't mind the latter (much.) If I get clocked I'll shake hands with my opponent--long distance--and see what I want to do then about a second at bat.

I'm mulling if there is a way to do a periodic update AAR rather than a war diary, which can still carry the narrative thread forward while focusing moslty on issues arising from a no-HR and strongly pro-auto-vic environment. I'm not sure the thread can be maintained without more writing than I want to commit to, unless my opponent writes a war diary himself and readers look at both.

Of distant tertiary concern is that I would get a swarm of well-intentioned, excellent advice which nonetheless is contradictory and thus less useful to a newbie like myself. I do plan to share with RockyRoo off-line as much as he can take, but Rocky is a strategic genius while this moose is only a bus league pusher of icons.

Decisions, decisions . . .

The Moose

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 44
RE: Moose Seeks Boris (or Natasha) As Japanese Opponent - 9/27/2012 2:01:48 PM   
Bullwinkle58

quote:

Well, start your AAR, moose dude!

ETA: In our abortive 2x2 PBEM "Thread War" AAR, we had some 18 pages before turn one! Some of it wasn't even smack talk!

In a sense this little off-the-grid underground thread is substituting for a crap-throwing AAR, right?

Good possibility I'll have the first turn Friday PM/Saturday afternoon, so we'll see. I have some ruminations rattling around in my head I could discuss in a private AAR. But as in post above, I don't know if I can commit to a war diary format. I still have time sink reservations about PBEM itself, and I don't want to turn this into a dutiful grind. I want it to be fun.

< Message edited by Bullwinkle58 -- 9/27/2012 2:03:45 PM >

The Moose

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 45
RE: Moose Seeks Boris (or Natasha) As Japanese Opponent - 9/27/2012 2:26:16 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

In a sense this little off-the-grid underground thread is substituting for a crap-throwing AAR, right?

No-not really. Ain't nuthin' substitutes for a crap-throwing AAR.

quote:

Good possibility I'll have the first turn Friday PM/Saturday afternoon, so we'll see. I have some ruminations rattling around in my head I could discuss in a private AAR. But as in post above, I don't know if I can commit to a war diary format. I still have time sink reservations about PBEM itself, and I don't want to turn this into a dutiful grind. I want it to be fun.

There are numerous examples of AARs that involve only episodic updates. I think Cuttlefish did one where he only had a few handfuls of updates that covered significant strategic events. A full war AAR that had-at most-20 pages. So, it can be done.

Post #: 46
RE: Moose Seeks Boris (or Natasha) As Japanese Opponent - 9/27/2012 5:15:20 PM   
Bullwinkle58

quote:

quote:

Sounds like a good name for a band.

quote:

There are numerous examples of AARs that involve only episodic updates. I think Cuttlefish did one where he only had a few handfuls of updates that covered significant strategic events. A full war AAR that had-at most-20 pages. So, it can be done.

I have some time today. I think I'll skiim the AAR thread for shorties and take a look. Most will be aborted games, but I might get some ideas.

The Moose

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 47
RE: Moose Seeks Boris (or Natasha) As Japanese Opponent - 9/27/2012 5:41:29 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

quote:

quote:

Sounds like a good name for a band.

quote:

I have some time today. I think I'll skiim the AAR thread for shorties and take a look. Most will be aborted games, but I might get some ideas.

Not to further this non-AAR thread (), but one of my former fantasy football teams was "Feces Chuckin' Apes". Crude scatological humor, I know, but-trust me-it comes from relayed first hand experiences in medical research. It's really tough when they figure out how to lead you.

Post #: 48
RE: Moose Seeks Boris (or Natasha) As Japanese Opponent - 9/27/2012 9:48:43 PM   
Bullwinkle58

I read Cuttlefish's AAR versus Charbroiled. Interesting. 3-5 day summaries for awhile, then long, months' long, gaps, then at the end six-month round-ups for a game which went the distance to September 1945 and was an Allied marginal vicotry. CF did some map views, which I could do, but I've never done any annotations. He did manage to maintain the narrative thread of the war in few words. He's a good writer.

Also interesting to see how many "everybody knows" there were back in 2010 which are largely rejected today. And also how many folks posted early who have disappeared from the forum. People like Bruce Powers who used to be regulars.

So, I may do it after all. Got an e-mail from my opponent and he says the turn should be done Friday. He said he may or may not do an AAR himself. Like him, I am a bit concerned about OPSEC in dual AARs.

The Moose

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 49
RE: Moose Seeks Boris (or Natasha) As Japanese Opponent - 9/27/2012 10:38:30 PM   
zuluhour

I think we have a pretty solid community here and while I to was concerned with OpSec at first, I believe my fears unfounded. You can always do a "whats happening AAR as opposed to a "what I'm going to do" AAR. You'll get helpful advice either way. Your fears of being roasted by IJ I suspect are due more to the prospect of a human opponenent than any real confidence in your ability. AFB's would be glad to cast thier 2 cents should you request it, and root for you anyway should you not. I went into my PBEM (first also) with Terry and had the same kind of unease at the outcome but it rapidly dissapated with the flow of the war. I'm voting for an imperial spanking. Digitally disect the Emperor!

ps. sorry for spelling errors, to lazy to check tonight.

< Message edited by zuluhour -- 9/27/2012 10:39:34 PM >

Post #: 50
RE: Moose Seeks Boris (or Natasha) As Japanese Opponent - 9/27/2012 10:59:28 PM   
zuluhour

An idea for an AAR I am contemplating, and would not mind if anyone else used, a story from the COs.

ie.:

CnC: Pacific: Nimitz:
TF54 Wasp and Enterprise intercept IJN convoy NNW Marshalls:
TF54 CO: RADM Sherman: report: 3 IJN merchantman reported sunk by SBDs AM, retiring to Pearl.

Something simple with occasional maps, expandable when the situation demands it.

just a seed of an idea...

(in reply to zuluhour)
Post #: 51
RE: Moose Seeks Boris (or Natasha) As Japanese Opponent - 9/27/2012 11:10:36 PM   
GreyJoy

Moose, for what it's worth my opinion, the AAR is probably an experience at least as good as the gaming one.
As you may remember, as soon as i bought the game i started my first pbem match and i immediately begun to write an AAR (well, was more like a diary to say the truth)...and probably in that game (with Rader) the only reason that made me keep on playing after several crushing defeats (loss of China, loss of India, loss of the whole Royal Navay at Scoodra, the failed invasions of PM and Gilberts etc etc etc)... the only reason was - well, a part from a form of respect towards Andrew (Rader)- was the AAR and all the people who were keeping up my morale, suggesting, critizing, trolling or simply having fun there (right CR? :-) ).

It was the best gaming experience of my whole life and i cannot but strongly advise you to do the same!

Moreover, you can do it in your own native language...which is, believe me, a blessing!

(in reply to zuluhour)
Post #: 52
RE: Moose Seeks Boris (or Natasha) As Japanese Opponent - 9/27/2012 11:29:25 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

Also interesting to see how many "everybody knows" there were back in 2010 which are largely rejected today.

Well, the game *has* massively changed since the original AE of 2010. Perhaps the "everybody knows" you cite have been taken care of by code changes (lots and lots of 'em) or by understanding the game engine more thoroughly or by consistenly applied HRs.

Everyone knows that these three things have resulted in the game being more playable.

Post #: 53
RE: Moose Seeks Boris (or Natasha) As Japanese Opponent - 9/27/2012 11:31:04 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

Like him, I am a bit concerned about OPSEC in dual AARs.

Yeah, I totally get that. Which is why I rarely read both sides of AARs anymore these days.

Post #: 54
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Opponents Wanted >> RE: Moose Seeks Boris (or Natasha) As Japanese Opponent Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI