Gangnam Style: Can You Create New Game Files?

Post new mods and scenarios here.

Moderator: MOD_ScourgeofWar

bcgames

Gangnam Style: Can You Create New Game Files?

Post by bcgames »

Is there a scenario editor?

If so, these standard capabilities would be great to see...

Create a new map... (Shiloh, Stone River, Pleasant Hill, etc...)
Create a new order of battle... (Vicksburg, 2nd Bull Run, New Market, etc...)

Does the game editor support new battle scenarios? Or are the stock Gettysburg map, Antietam map, and/or the Pipe Creek map the limits of this game system's offerings?

Or (using the assumed as provided scenario editor) can I create my own battles? Regardless of battle location? Can any Civil War battle be created using the editor? Regardless of map or OOB? Or is it all limited to the battles of Gettysburg, Antietam, and/or Pipe Creek?

Assuming there is an editor that comes with this game, what are the answers to these questions? If there is not an editor, well then thank you for your time.
Jim_NSD

RE: Gangnam Style: Can You Create New Game Files?

Post by Jim_NSD »

There is no map editor as the maps are the carrot that brings in the customer. That being said there are six maps for Gettysburg, three for Pipe Creek, three for Antietam, and coming soon will be the three overlapping Chancellorsville maps plus the Salem Church map. There are two generic maps, Kansas and Alpine that have several surface mods released. In addition, there are map pack maps for the battles of Olustee, Secessionville, Valverde and Trevilian Station. Finally a map pack is in development for the Red River campaign (4 maps at least). So there is no shortage of places to fight and more on the way.

There is no scenario editor but the game includes by design extensive modding capabilities and an SDK that documents most of what files do what in this rather complex system. There is an entire section of the NSD forum devoted to released mods and answering questions on how to build better mods. You can create an OOB and scenario for any battle you want although most of the OOBs have been done already for SOW or have been ported in from TC2M and can just be downloaded for your fighting pleasure.

-Jim
Design Lead: Scourge of War

"My God, if we've not got a cool brain and a big one too, to manage this affair, the nation is ruined forever." Unknown private, 14th Vermont Infantry, 2 July 1863
Redmarkus5

Post by Redmarkus5 »

"Maps are the carrot that brings in the customer". I disagree. Due to a lack of map and scenario mods I parked this game a year back, if not earlier, as it quickly became boring due to the lack of a proper campaign (dynamic, branching, non-linear, or whatever). Longevity and modability are very important factors and new customers will purchase a base game after seeing various super mods and player designed battles.
WitE2 tester, WitW, WitP, CMMO, CM2, GTOS, GTMF, WP & WPP, TOAW4, BA2
RebBugler

Post by RebBugler »

ORIGINAL: redmarkus4

"Maps are the carrot that brings in the customer". I disagree. Due to a lack of map and scenario mods I parked this game a year back, if not earlier, as it quickly became boring due to the lack of a proper campaign (dynamic, branching, non-linear, or whatever). Longevity and modability are very important factors and new customers will purchase a base game after seeing various super mods and player designed battles.

These concerns are duly noted and will be relayed...a "parked game" can never be taken lightly by truly concerned designers of said game.

Thanks for the input
Designer - Scourge of War
Blond_Knight

Post by Blond_Knight »

I thought its been possible to make maps since an update in Second Manassas?
Garnier

Post by Garnier »

oops
Play Scourge of War Multiplayer! www.sowmp.com
RebBugler

Post by RebBugler »

ORIGINAL: Blond_Knight

I thought its been possible to make maps since an update in Second Manassas?

That's TC2M, SOW's outdated predecessor...

It still has it's own forum, a faithful few reside there, however it's unsupported and has no MP capabilities.
Designer - Scourge of War
bcgames

Post by bcgames »

ORIGINAL: Jim_NSD

There is no map editor as the maps are the carrot that brings in the customer.
OK thx.

Return to “Mods and Scenarios”