Matrix Games Forums

Happy Easter!Battle Academy is now available on SteamPlayers compare Ageods Civil War to Civil War IIDeal of the week - An updated War in the East goes half Price!Sign up for the Qvadriga beta for iPad and Android!Come and say hi at Pax and SaluteLegends of War goes on sale!Piercing Fortress Europa Gets UpdatedBattle Academy Mega Pack is now availableClose Combat: Gateway to Caen Teaser Trailer
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Tools for Playing

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> The War Room >> Tools for Playing Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Tools for Playing - 9/21/2012 10:07:35 PM   
ChadS

Hello!

So, I was talked into buying WitPAE, and I'm looking forward to diving in and learning the game. I've seen posts about various tools to help players manage the information in the game, and I'm wondering if there's a common list of tools that people use? I have heard about Tracker, and I saw WITP Staff, though haven't seen how to get either to work yet. I assume there are some spreadsheets, etc., out there that people have made and use. Are any of those available?

Thanks!

Chad S.
Post #: 1
RE: Tools for Playing - 9/21/2012 10:53:28 PM   
Bullwinkle58

quote:

ORIGINAL: ChadS

Hello!

So, I was talked into buying WitPAE, and I'm looking forward to diving in and learning the game. I've seen posts about various tools to help players manage the information in the game, and I'm wondering if there's a common list of tools that people use? I have heard about Tracker, and I saw WITP Staff, though haven't seen how to get either to work yet. I assume there are some spreadsheets, etc., out there that people have made and use. Are any of those available?

Thanks!

Chad S.

My recco would be to get Tracker up and running and then see if you need more. There is a very helpful stickied thread on it and the authors post here daily/weekly.

< Message edited by Bullwinkle58 -- 9/21/2012 10:54:25 PM >

The Moose

(in reply to ChadS)
Post #: 2
RE: Tools for Playing - 9/22/2012 1:34:32 AM   
Lifer

I would also recommend combatreporter.  A great way to go over the reports outside the game.

Man does not enter battle to fight, but for victory. He does everything that he can to avoid the first and obtain the second.
Ardant du Picq

(in reply to Bullwinkle58)
Post #: 3
RE: Tools for Playing - 9/22/2012 1:47:12 AM   
dr.hal

Don't know of combat reporter what's that? I can't seem to get tracker ever to work, my old opponent got it going for me (thanks Paul) but in this new game, it goes no where...sigh....

(in reply to Lifer)
Post #: 4
RE: Tools for Playing - 9/22/2012 2:00:50 AM   
msieving1

quote:

ORIGINAL: dr.hal

Don't know of combat reporter what's that?

Go to the Scenario Design & Modding forum. There's a sticky thread at the top about Combat Reporter.

Basically, it reads all the conbat, opeational, and sigint reports, sorts them by location, and presents them in an easy to read format.

(in reply to dr.hal)
Post #: 5
RE: Tools for Playing - 9/22/2012 2:34:21 AM   
witpqs

I recommend Tracker and Intel Monkey (see my sig for that one).

Intel Monkey: https://sites.google.com/site/staffmonkeys/

(in reply to msieving1)
Post #: 6
RE: Tools for Playing - 9/22/2012 6:28:31 AM   
Lokasenna

I find that using a simple spreadsheet of engine needs and current engine production is better for planning my aircraft production as Japan than Tracker's unintuitive (to me, at least) engine screens.

As Allies, I pretty much just keep a notepad with current ops and things to remember as I go through each day's combat phase written on it. I then go through that list before ending the next day's orders.

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 7
RE: Tools for Playing - 9/22/2012 7:04:17 AM   
witpqs

By all means I also use a text editor to keep a notes file.

I also use one to write my AAR post while I do the turn. The AAR includes at least one screen capture per turn, sometimes edited to include annotations. While the AAR is unto itself, I find it often also helps me to look back at the odd fact, etc. that I included there when making plans.

Even playing as Allies, Tracker is essential IMO. I look at the Alerts each and every turn. Devices, to help coordinate the upgrading of squads and other LCU devices is a Godsend. There is lots of great stuff in Tracker.

Sometimes when looking at enemy land units it is difficult to see if a tiny movement arrow is present as sometimes the map graphic obscures it. Using a magnifying glass resolves the matter.

A calculator, because sometimes you are adding things up.

A spreadsheet. Various worksheets to add up troop and cargo space, stacking value of units, whatever you find helpful at the time.

As a new player you won't even be paying any mind to many things at first. Take it a piece at a time rather than worrying about everything all at once.

So, putting it all together:
Tracker
Your favorite text editor
Greenshot (for making screen captures)
Paint.net (for editing screen captures)
Intel Monkey (Everybody should have an assistant primate)
Libre Office (includes spreadsheet)
Calculator (Casio)
Magnifying glass (3.5x)

Yes, that's a true list. I really do use all that stuff to play AE. Plus pen and paper, but I really don't need to add that, do I?

< Message edited by witpqs -- 9/22/2012 7:05:37 AM >

(in reply to Lokasenna)
Post #: 8
RE: Tools for Playing - 9/22/2012 11:54:32 AM   
richlove

Tracker and Combat reporter are essential, and some text editor for keeping notes is essential. For those Mac users out there - OmniOutliner is perfect for this. I really need to start a thread about how I process each turn; I think it'll spark good discussion. For now, here's a preview of what I do:

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by richlove -- 9/22/2012 11:55:18 AM >

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 9
RE: Tools for Playing - 9/22/2012 2:35:27 PM   
dr.hal

quote:

ORIGINAL: witpqs

By all means I also use a text editor to keep a notes file.

I also use one to write my AAR post while I do the turn. The AAR includes at least one screen capture per turn, sometimes edited to include annotations. While the AAR is unto itself, I find it often also helps me to look back at the odd fact, etc. that I included there when making plans.

Even playing as Allies, Tracker is essential IMO. I look at the Alerts each and every turn. Devices, to help coordinate the upgrading of squads and other LCU devices is a Godsend. There is lots of great stuff in Tracker.

Sometimes when looking at enemy land units it is difficult to see if a tiny movement arrow is present as sometimes the map graphic obscures it. Using a magnifying glass resolves the matter.

A calculator, because sometimes you are adding things up.

A spreadsheet. Various worksheets to add up troop and cargo space, stacking value of units, whatever you find helpful at the time.

As a new player you won't even be paying any mind to many things at first. Take it a piece at a time rather than worrying about everything all at once.

So, putting it all together:
Tracker
Your favorite text editor
Greenshot (for making screen captures)
Paint.net (for editing screen captures)
Intel Monkey (Everybody should have an assistant primate)
Libre Office (includes spreadsheet)
Calculator (Casio)
Magnifying glass (3.5x)

Yes, that's a true list. I really do use all that stuff to play AE. Plus pen and paper, but I really don't need to add that, do I?

Wow that's some list! You really take this seriously witpqs! Ok, I'll try to get tracker working again... thanks. Hal

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 10
RE: Tools for Playing - 9/22/2012 3:25:56 PM   
Lokasenna

quote:

ORIGINAL: richlove

Tracker and Combat reporter are essential, and some text editor for keeping notes is essential. For those Mac users out there - OmniOutliner is perfect for this. I really need to start a thread about how I process each turn; I think it'll spark good discussion. For now, here's a preview of what I do:

That's pretty neat-looking.

Also, I do think using the Alerts page on Tracker is essential as well. I pretty much run down my handwritten list and then check the Alerts.

I also use the Ship Upgrades list - very handy for keeping on top of upgrades to be done within your thousands of ships. I just wish that ships would disappear from that list when you set the Upgrade to "No", heh.

(in reply to richlove)
Post #: 11
RE: Tools for Playing - 9/24/2012 6:12:46 PM   
ChadS

Thanks for the suggestions. I've gotten Tracker working now, and look forward to seeing what that does for me.

I've been watching some of the videos, and while they're very good, and certainly helpful, I'm wondering if there's anything out there that talks about the "what to do, and why you do it," and not just the "here's how you do it?"

I haven't found anything that tells me if 22 is a high fatigue value. And, I haven't found anything that says, "first thing you should do is start shipping supplies from Truk to Rabul, so that you don't run out of supply there." (I mean, if that is something that I should do...I honestly don't know....)

Are there any "tutorials" like that anywhere? I've perused the AARs, but honestly, haven't found anything that helps explain why.

Thanks!

(in reply to Lokasenna)
Post #: 12
RE: Tools for Playing - 9/24/2012 8:20:05 PM   
Bobdina1

I can't post links yet but Sardauker did a newbie AAR against the AI for the grand campaign as the allies. A lot of good info in there.

(in reply to ChadS)
Post #: 13
RE: Tools for Playing - 9/25/2012 3:36:45 AM   
n01487477

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lokasenna
I also use the Ship Upgrades list - very handy for keeping on top of upgrades to be done within your thousands of ships. I just wish that ships would disappear from that list when you set the Upgrade to "No", heh.

Next version my friend ...

Any other suggestions regarding Alerts etc ...

-Damian-
EconDoc
TrackerAE
Tutes&Java

(in reply to Lokasenna)
Post #: 14
RE: Tools for Playing - 9/25/2012 1:21:08 PM   
Bullwinkle58

quote:

ORIGINAL: n01487477

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lokasenna

Next version my friend ...

Any other suggestions regarding Alerts etc ...

Alerts is my first go-to tab in Tracker. Some turns it's the only thing I consult. When I open Tracker the first thing I do is go to Alerts and click to sort by message type (then I do the same in Intel.)

If you want to overhaul Alerts you might consider changing the skeleton from Major/Minor etc. to more functional tab names like Economy, Naval, Air, Land, etc.

If you want to keep the current sub-tabs I would like to see all ship sinkings for both sides in one place. Sinking an enemy ship isn't always Minor and losing an own ship isn't always Major. I'd like to see them in the same place, but sortable/groupable.

I don't think it's there now, but I'd like to see strat bombing damage detailed. Fire levels for those times you're trying for a firestorm.

Are out-of-range garrison levels in Alerts now? Don't remember, but I don't think so.

Maybe subs which pass 10 or 15 or 20 damage (whichever is relevant and doesn't over-notify) while on patrol?

Maybe air units attrited to less than four (?) planes? Maybe 2? Same standard for notification.

Forts levels reaching (6) where the player may want to turn it off so as to save the spiking supply investment to go higher?

LCUs in Strat or Move mode which reach their destination, to remind player to go change them. Especially needed for Strat.

Just some ideas. Don't want Alerts to become a phone book, but it's very useful. All the info is available elsewhere of course, but it's a good way to start the next day's planning cycle.

< Message edited by Bullwinkle58 -- 9/25/2012 1:23:36 PM >

The Moose

(in reply to n01487477)
Post #: 15
RE: Tools for Playing - 9/25/2012 3:20:56 PM   
nashvillen

What the Moose said... +1

Post #: 16
RE: Tools for Playing - 9/25/2012 6:23:00 PM   
witpqs

Garrison not met is there now in the bases display.

(in reply to nashvillen)
Post #: 17
RE: Tools for Playing - 9/25/2012 7:47:13 PM   
Lokasenna

I think he might have meant an alert on that first turn that you drop below garrison levels - that would be extremely useful.

I view the Alerts - Current Turn page as something of a homepage/summary of most important things I need to look at each turn. Everything else is just icing on the cake.

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 18
RE: Tools for Playing - 9/26/2012 2:42:20 PM   
Bullwinkle58

quote:

Right, but it's a hard-to-read column which takes a sort to easily find. Alerts to me has a different function. As I said, all of the info I asked for is in there somewhere else. I think Alerts is mostly for skimming.

< Message edited by Bullwinkle58 -- 9/26/2012 2:43:02 PM >

The Moose

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 19
RE: Tools for Playing - 9/26/2012 3:15:03 PM   
witpqs

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bullwinkle58

quote:

Right, but it's a hard-to-read column which takes a sort to easily find. Alerts to me has a different function. As I said, all of the info I asked for is in there somewhere else. I think Alerts is mostly for skimming.

Oh, yes, I agree. I thought you didn't know they had it at all.

Post #: 20
RE: Tools for Playing - 9/26/2012 3:55:54 PM   
nashvillen

One tool I have is a print out of the Base capacity chart on the wall just above my monitors, so I don't miss it anymore! Too many transport fleets sent to ports that couldn't handle the ships in the TF. DOH!

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 21
RE: Tools for Playing - 9/26/2012 5:50:04 PM   
Lokasenna

quote:

ORIGINAL: nashvillen

One tool I have is a print out of the Base capacity chart on the wall just above my monitors, so I don't miss it anymore! Too many transport fleets sent to ports that couldn't handle the ships in the TF. DOH!

I have that exact same thing going on with mine. I hung my corkboard there just for that. I've since added the bombing missions guide (what altitudes mean what for which missions, like dive bombing vs. glide bombing).

(in reply to nashvillen)
Post #: 22
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> The War Room >> Tools for Playing Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI